The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2014, 12:07 AM   #26
El Rondo

Re: Down to the metal..advice?

Thanks for this thread...I'll check it out. Also, yea, it most certainly is the second paint job. I actually have an entire record, day by day, that the previous owner kept on anything ( i mean ALL of it) done to the truck and it indicates a second paint job around 1990. The tailgate is still the original paint, since he had this removed when he added a camper to the truck. The good thing is that he opted for the wood bed (factory black) in order to have something to anchor camper to.

I'll go check out this thread! Thanks again, Mr. Hyde (and by the way, Mr. Hyde..the Fredric March version...one of my favorite early monster movies!)
El Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:10 AM   #27
El Rondo

My question for all of you at this point is: Down to the metal all the way around, or just where the repair work is going to be obvious?
Old 02-23-2014, 12:38 AM   #28
litew8

everything if you want good coverage
Old 02-23-2014, 01:33 AM   #29
El Rondo

Gotcha...think I'll start on one panel and work my way around, finishing out each one.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:42 AM   #30
litew8

You're in for an experience.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:34 AM   #31
El Rondo

Yea, from what I'm researching I don't even know if I can handle it! There are no shortcuts though...no sense in that..might as well leave it cracked and sucker painted if that's the case.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:07 AM   #32
BMERDOC

Its definitely some work. I have been over my entire truck and sanded off six layers of paint and lots of bondo. I went back with two coats of eprimer. The big hold up now is a radiator support so that i can take off the fenders and doors to get at the back sides and jambs. I went at it with 40, 80 and 220. There were several times when i asked myself why i even started doing it but the rewards were worth it in the end. Still got much to do.
2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:22 AM   #33
El Rondo

BMERDOC and litew8: I hear you...i think it'll be an experience, but what the heck...I got the time and I'm in no rush, and I don't mind driving it a little on the ratty side while I work...so, my understanding of the stages I need to undertake:

1.) strip the truck down one panel at a time
2.) repair that panel of bad Bondo work (this is what's causing this in the first place)
3.) resurface and clean like crazy what's there ("prep"..this is probably why what's on it isn't adhering)
4.) epoxy primer 1:1 mix...flat black
5.) later it can be scuffed and painted any color, but I can stay with the epoxy primer for now
Old 02-23-2014, 11:22 AM   #34
BMERDOC

Sounds about right. I would do one panel at a time so you wont feel so overwhelmed. Do one coat per panel and when youve went around the entire truck mask of the whole thing and add a second coat. Because of the time involved youll have to scuff the first coat.
2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 01:07 PM   #35
El Rondo

Cool, thanks, that sounds good...this morning I had some repair stuff under the hood. My truck's "ears must be burning"..hears me talking about it, cause I had a bolt that had shaken loose or wasn't put back on on the fan belt to the air conditioner compressor and the vibration while operating had started to shave rubber off that belt. My wife and I could smell it burning pretty good last night while going down the road...so today, get to work on that over a few beers..new belt, new bolt or two. Also, bought a can of rust inhibitor to spray underneath. Looks pretty clean, but I am starting to see some areas I didn't see before with some rust here and there.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:26 PM   #36
El Rondo

Anybody know of a decent epoxy primer rust/red? I'm leaning towards the Summit Racing epoxy primer black with a rust underneath that I can show thru. I did a rat rod bike this way once, and it looked fantastic. Also, want to use inside the cab..need the rust red color..I could spray bomb the inside I suppose with flat rust primer, since it's exposure to the elements is less, but epoxy primer would be best..any advice?