The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-24-2014, 10:38 AM   #26
UATahoe

Re: No more broken door pull strap covers!! Made my own, let me know what you think!!

Ok guys, here is where i am. A complete set of 4 would be $135 plus shipping, but i would need to get a pretty healthy list of committed buyers(probably 20 for me to be able to absorb the remaining cost risk). Thats pretty much me break even on making these things. Its a pretty substantial up front investment given the quantity i am having to order to get that price but i wanted to make them as affordable as possible.

I will say this though. These things are awesome and they will be the last set you ever buy for your truck. They fit great and wont be popping off everytime you shut the door. No more broken prongs to deal with or fear of using the door strap. They really are a high quality piece and in my mind a good long term investment. I have had my truck now for 3 years and have gone through 3 sets already. Got to the point on my dads 87 that we just didnt replace them and were left looking at ugly bolts and brackets.

Open to any and all feedback here guys, good or bad. Let me know what you guys think!!!! If there is good interest, i will start a thread in the for sale section to try and get this rolling.

I went ahead a paid a lot more for my four because i know i want them. LOL

Last edited by UATahoe; 04-25-2014 at 09:37 AM.
UATahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:45 AM   #27
UATahoe

Re: No more broken door pull strap covers!! Made my own, let me know what you think!!

I will also add that i am going to check with another shop on making a run of these. This first guy is usually my best go to but just want to check and be sure. I will update after i hear back from the second shop.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:24 PM   #28
UATahoe

I take it that the price has scared everyone away???
Old 04-24-2014, 01:42 PM   #29
BADAZ chevy guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by UATahoe View Post
I take it that the price has scared everyone away???
That's actually a very fair price for what you're offering. It is a bit out of my budget however. (I'm disabled and drawing $800.00 SSDI)
I'm sure there are still plenty of guys here who will buy a set.

700R4 build thread. >>> http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...36#post6740236
BADAZ chevy guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:57 PM   #30
UATahoe

I hope so. I would like to get the cost down to around $135. That's where I was hoping to be. I am looking at other shops too so maybe I can get it down eventually.

I do agree though. I think it's a very quality piece at that price. I can't wait to get them on my truck.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:54 PM   #31
trixter99
I have no time for this

I would love a set of these,when can you start? I would pay more if you can build them right away.pm me Trixter 99
1999 Hugger orange Camaro SS
2007 BMW X5 Sport
trixter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:04 PM   #32
UATahoe

If I could get about 15 people committed to buy, I could start immediately. Could probably have them ready to ship 4 to 5 days after I request them.

Not sure how bad the cost would be for just one set though. I will check in to it and shoot you a pm. Really hoping some of the others will chime in soon.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:11 PM   #33
UATahoe

Just a note guys, if you are no longer interested post up and let me know that as well. Thanks!!
Old 04-24-2014, 09:38 PM   #34
Houston Ben

Hi UATahoe,
I am still interested just cant do that price at the moment....sorry.
Houston Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:56 PM   #35
UATahoe

Totally understand Ben. Thanks for letting me know. I am hoping to get some good news in the morning but we will see. Don't think it will be a huge amount but would love to get it closer to $135.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:21 PM   #36
buddy_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston Ben View Post
Hi UATahoe,
I am still interested just cant do that price at the moment....sorry.
Same here, but definity let us know what the other guy says. Buddy
1997 Chevy Cheyenne K2500
1999 Polaris Sport 400
buddy_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:38 PM   #37
UATahoe

Will do!
Old 04-24-2014, 11:01 PM   #38
UATahoe

Hypothetical here, would the interest change at all if I were able to get it down to $135 a set? If so I will push. If not, I think I will just go ahead and get 3 more for myself and call it a day. Just don't want to push hard if it's not going to make any difference. I realize $20 bucks isn't a huge amount but it's pretty substantial if I can make it happen. Let me know guys. Thanks!
Old 04-24-2014, 11:33 PM   #39
1968vetL-71

I'm prob gonna pass as well. Great job on them tho!
1968 belair 2door post #s 427/385
1936 ford 5w coupe dads 1st car
1969 camaro ss (17,xxx) miles

Wanted: 69-72 suburban project, 69 camaro convertible. also any big block cars. 69-70 gto judge project.
1968vetL-71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:08 AM   #40
RShook

I definitely like the looks of these but they are pretty expensive.
I would be borderline at 135.00.
Under 100.00 for a set and I'm in.
RShook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:37 AM   #41
UATahoe

Thanks for getting back with me guys. Heard back from the other shop today. It was good news to me but it looks like interest here has died. I got the price down to $135. They are making a test run on one part for me because i want to make sure they come out looking as good as the other one. I will update this thread with the new price but i dont think it will do much good. Just dont think the interest is there to support making a lot of these. I would need 20 committed buyers to make them on a larger scale.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:38 PM   #42
king-918

Quote:
Originally Posted by RShook View Post
I definitely like the looks of these but they are pretty expensive.
I would be borderline at 135.00.
Under 100.00 for a set and I'm in.
I think 100 is a breaking point for a great idea but a part that will go unnoticed after a couple of days

Oh yeah I'm really a Toyota guy, but had some stuff sitting around.

Oklahoma
king-918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 01:13 PM   #43
UATahoe

Completely understand your point. I do think though that the beauty of these is that they will go unnoticed. My biggest peeve is looing into my truck and seeing them missing showing off the rusted brackets and bolts. Just looks awful. Getting rid of that problem permanently is the main benefit in my mind.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:47 PM   #44
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Sadly when a dimes worth of butyl tape will hold the broken cover on, spending a buck fifty looks sorta silly.

Don't get me wrong, those you had made up are awesome looking and would be the finishing touch on a fully restored trucks interior. I've always just ran my broken ones across a buffer and put a dab of butyl on the back and be done. Look shiny and stay in place.
When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 03:49 PM   #45
Kaysen

I don't remember which company it was but I remember seeing nos covers still available (classic trucks or brothers). I will see if I can find them again tonight and if not then I will still be on board for a set of four. I will post back either way regardless to let you know.
Kaysen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 05:05 PM   #46
carboncrew

Just my .02. People gotta keep in mind that buying new platic ones usually runs over $40 and they do break easily.

My very own build

My tailgating ambulance
carboncrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 05:10 PM   #47
carboncrew

One more thing to think about. I'm not sure year and make/model but pull straps from late 70's and 80's cars (G-bodies I think) had metal covered pull straps. I had them in my old pickup and they worked great. You can even pull the metal out of the strap and carefully push it through your strap. This will keep the strap from pulling out on the covers and breaking them.

My very own build

My tailgating ambulance
carboncrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:23 PM   #48
notallthere

I would still be interested as I keep replacing these at least one or two per year at $8.00 each.
notallthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 01:46 AM   #49
meter swinger

I would love to get some but since my crew cab would need 8 of them i dont think i can swing it...
meter swinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 10:10 AM   #50
blazer2007

I think it,s agood price and a good idea,wait awhile and they will be made in China,everybody wants made in USA but don,t want to buck up,everyone complains about off shore products, just my 2 cents worth
blazer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote