The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-13-2014, 07:50 PM   #26
davepl

Re: Stock AC vs aftermarket AC

As someone who is literally bandaging himself up at the moment from running the factory AC vent tubes, let me tell you: stock AC is a bear. In fact, having done the wood bed and engine and everything else on the truck the AC is one of the most challenging systems. And that's starting with an AC truck with almost all the parts present and accounted for. I also have an aftermarket (stock appearing, and not that Custom Autosound junk) radio that's far shallower than the original, and it still sucks.

If I were building a truck with the intent of showing it as a stock truck, as I am, then I'd go with stock AC, like I did. But if I could live with the non-stock appearance of an aftermarket unit, I bet it'd be way easier to deal with.

If you had an AC truck that was complete and just moved parts over, that might not be so bad. But accumulating every little piece (and let me tell you, there are a lot of them once you get into solenoids and flaps and springs and clips and lines and o-rings and so on) could be tough. Plus as everyone knows an AC cab is actually different, and not just for the vent ball holes - the firewall is different I think (maybe even shown in this thread).

All that aside, it's pretty impressive what those guys accomplished back then with vacuum and one power wire. I still think mechanical factory cruise is more of a wonder, but I'm always impressed by what they got done with no computers or electronics back then.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:15 PM   #27
serge

Hey all,
Since I know nothing about AC decided to get a couple estimates from local shops to furnish and install stock AC system in my truck. Thanks to your comments I'll be able to discuss and check these estimates for completeness.
Will then have enough info to choose stock or aftermarket.
Thanks again.
Serge
serge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:46 PM   #28
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Stock AC vs aftermarket AC

I did the whole swap on mine back years ago. I started with a non AC truck. I bought a complete system out of a wrecked truck that a friend had just gotten on the road and his girlfriend wrapped it around a tree. Luckly it was the backside of the cab and bed. I got everything to install it and put it in in a weekend. I didn't have to worry about if it worked are not because I had rode in the truck several times right before she wrecked it. After a few years of R-12 I bought all new condensor,evaperator dryer for 134-A freon to put into the factory locations. The truck works well.

Quote:
rdgt67,

Is that a hard swap on the motor?
Only on my wallet. I had Hawks thrid gen Camaro do the swap. 3 weeks and it was done. I smile everytime I drive it. The 2014 Hot Rod Power tour is going to be very fun this year!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:10 AM   #29
rdgt67

Anyone got pictures of pulley belt setup for a 250 6 with ac and pwr steering.
rdgt67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:42 AM   #30
oldcane
Account Suspended

I'm going to go with a repro under-dash system. While I'm not all wrapped up in stock, I do like period correct and I know these are because as a little guy, my seat was right smack in front of it on my dad's truck and bonneville.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/vta-672001vhy
oldcane is offline   Reply With Quote