The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-08-2016, 04:40 PM   #1
BLAZERMAN
Currently Blazerless

Re: Cab/Roof/Clearance Lights- Who Has Added Them?

The difference between the factory and aftermarket base.
Attached Images

Old 11-06-2018, 10:44 AM   #2
davepl

I was born and raised in one little 900sqft house, and my Dad ran the local hardware store. It was often -30F to -40F and we'd watch for the cab lights on Dad's truck coming back through the winter storms. Sounds like something Cormac MacCarthy would write about, but watching for those lights is really seared into the old brain! They served a purpose too!
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 05:50 PM   #3
Canuckvetter
How did I get this OLD!

All 3 of my 67's have maker lights. All Oshawa trucks. Only one has factory markers. The bottom pictured truck. The others were aftermarket installs due to the placement. Good thing I like marker lights. All 3 have side mount spare tires too. Must have been an Alberta thing back in the day.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1541540366
Attached Images

1967 Oshawa built LWB Fleetside. 327,3 OTT, 515 Vermilion, CST, PS, PB, Shoulder Harness, Tach,Vac, Speed Warning, Choke Delete, Manual Throttle, Fawn interior. Dealer installed A/C 04/2015, N34 Rosewood Wheel 06/2023
Members who I have met personally. Metaldoc, chevnkevin, 62 Longbed, 72LHorn, 72MARIO, YBNORML, TBONE1964, Classic Bowties, Chevemall, Dagnabbitt.
Canuckvetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 05:10 PM   #4
Pick121

Love all the comments- drill! Don’t drill! Resurrecting an old thread, I plan to add Yankee 77 cab clearance lights to my 63 C50. I just really like the look on a big truck. The roof already has rust coming through so I think there may be a mouse nest in the pillar, plan to replace the roof section “some day”. I found a set of decent shape on EPay with white lenses, but the fat rubber, for reasonable price, and another seller has amber lenses for $10 each that’s my plan anyway. I will enjoy how it looks for decades and the future owner can worry about the cab rust!
I also found this installation diagram I plan to use, maybe it will help someone else. It was in the 1965 Chevy Truck Vehicle Info Kit (GMC Heritage site), but should be good for measurements on most cab roofs.
Attached Images

Pick121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 10:55 PM   #5
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I just installed the Yankee 77's on my '71 Dually build.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

Starts at post #119 on page 5. I have two different original instruction sheets for the Yankee 77's. One instruction sheet just lists the '66 truck locations, and one sheet shows the '66 and '67 cabs. The sheet that shows the '67 cabs has the lights straight in the corners instead of angled. That is the way I installed mine.

I also have an original Yankee 77 wire loom that I can get you the measurements and pictures off of if you need them.

I like the old school look of them....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 11:13 PM   #6
Pick121

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
I just installed the Yankee 77's on my '71 Dually build.

Starts at post #119 on page 5. I have two different original instruction sheets for the Yankee 77's. One instruction sheet just lists the '66 truck locations, and one sheet shows the '66 and '67 cabs. The sheet that shows the '67 cabs has the lights straight in the corners instead of angled. That is the way I installed mine.

I also have an original Yankee 77 wire loom that I can get you the measurements and pictures off of if you need them.

I like the old school look of them....

LockDoc
Thanks LocDoc, I really appreciate the reply. I checked out your build and it is great you are sharing the install info for the rest of us. I also like the look of all facing straight forward. Now I just need to pull the trigger on the purchase so no need to share info until then. Just curious-Did you drill holes in your roof or already there?
Pick121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 06:35 PM   #7
Caddylackn

LockDoc,

Are you using the screws on your lights as the grounds by grounding each light to the roof, or did you run a separate ground for each light and link them together then ground them?
Old 03-31-2022, 09:26 AM   #8
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddylackn View Post
LockDoc,

Are you using the screws on your lights as the grounds by grounding each light to the roof, or did you run a separate ground for each light and link them together then ground them?

Screws ground them. You just have to make sure you have a good ground from the battery to the engine and from the back of the engine block to the cab.

LockDoc

-
Old 03-31-2022, 12:19 PM   #9
Wrenchbender Ret

Here is a 70 pickup I used to have. I have put cab lights on several trucks I have had. I really like them. You can also see the side turn lights on the front fenders. I won't put them on the 72 I have now as I want to keep it all original.
I wired them into the tail light circuit but put a low amp fuse in line in case there is a short it won't put out the tail lights.

George
Attached Images

Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 10:06 AM   #10
old51sedan

If a person wanted to install a set of these how much of a job to run the wires? I take it they are run up the windshield post, correct?
old51sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 03:04 PM   #11
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I just did this. It isn't really easy but it is doable. Here is a video posted by one of our members, "Tx Firefighter" on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-53fdPXgVLA

I tried this but didn't get it to work for me. I had an old speedometer cable so I used the center cable out of it to snake down the "A" pillar and pull a string back up with it. That worked pretty good.

You can also run the wire to the back of the cab and then back up front with the fuel and dome light wires but I don't think that would be much easier over all. I looked up a thread on someone replacing a roof skin to get an idea where the hole was that the wire needs to go down through. that helped too.

LockDoc

-
Old 04-03-2022, 11:49 AM   #12
old51sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
I just did this. It isn't really easy but it is doable. Here is a video posted by one of our members, "Tx Firefighter" on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-53fdPXgVLA

I tried this but didn't get it to work for me. I had an old speedometer cable so I used the center cable out of it to snake down the "A" pillar and pull a string back up with it. That worked pretty good.

You can also run the wire to the back of the cab and then back up front with the fuel and dome light wires but I don't think that would be much easier over all. I looked up a thread on someone replacing a roof skin to get an idea where the hole was that the wire needs to go down through. that helped too.

LockDoc
Who would have thought.........One wire for the hot wire and they ground themselves, correct? Thanks a bunch....
old51sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 01:25 PM   #13
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by old51sedan View Post
Who would have thought.........One wire for the hot wire and they ground themselves, correct? Thanks a bunch....

That is correct.

LockDoc

-