The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-28-2016, 03:07 PM   #26
RichardJ

Re: WOW! Shop refused to

>>vacuum is good plus it passes the test of holding the brake pedal down then shutting off the engine and it drops abut an inch.<<

You might want to rethink that.

You seem to be telling this story in reverse order, a little bit at a time.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:49 PM   #27
RodnRudy

To check for vacuum at the booster: With the engine off pump the brake pedal a couple of times and hold. You should feel a hard peddle. Now hold the brake peddle down and start the engine. The brake peddle should depress a couple of inches and the peddle should be softer now. You have your sequence for checking backwards. No or low vacuum at the booster will cause the hard peddle. Good luck. Phil
RodnRudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 05:29 PM   #28
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardJ View Post
>>He says one of your lines touches a header. I said they are hard lines and this has never presented an issue before <<

If the brake lines are touching the header, the fluid will boil inside the lines and you will loose the brakes in that circuit. (front or rear).

Sorry, but that makes you the idiot. Why he didn't bend the line out of the way or notify you that the lines needed bent or repositioned before the brakes could be bleed is the question.

If they bled the brakes and allowed you to drive away, they would be liable for any accident you got into.
Knowing the lines were routed/ installed incorrectly and refusing to bleed the brakes was the smart call.
Not true. They arent required on your heavily modified vehicle to inform you of issues you installed. If they missed the line touching the header that isnt their fault. They arent looking for improperly installed components. They are bleeding the brakes... Chances are, they did bleed them right and he boiled the fluid. I do run an automotive repair shop btw. lol.

I do agree on the line touching the header, if the PO knew about that and drove that way, we know were the blame lies.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=676047

My new YOUTUBE channel.. Videos of my truck and a current walk around.
Lyrikz74 Youtube channel DONE! SOLD!

My 1971 stepside build thread
My Build Thread UPDATED 6/11. DONE
and sold.
lyrikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 05:40 PM   #29
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrkEnvy View Post
I dunno if it makes him an idiot.. But i do agree with the liability issue of bleeding a truck that could potentially boil the fluid and cause an accident. However the shop should have called and told him that hours before his scheduled appointment. Bad customer service if I've ever seen it. I wouldn't use this shop ever again.

I doubt the shop knew the brake lines touched. What happened is the kid bled the brakes, got paid for it. The advisor then says "hey remember that pos you worked on the other day, well you ****ed up and its coming back cause the brakes arent bled correctly" Then the kid who is now playing pokemon go (BTW im 42 and play that so dont hate, my kids love it) looks at the car and then notices the lines touching the header and then is like LOOKIE HERE it wasnt my fault boss, i need you to pay me again or im not doing it, its his fault, im not rebleeding them for free.. The advisor then has the need to cover his ass now that he cant get the tech to take 4 minutes and move the line and rebleed the brakes without paying him again. In a shop like firestone they cant give out free hours without a reason. He then comes up with the "sorry we can touch it" line.
THe good news is he refunded your money. Btw, i wouldnt have. I would of fixed your line, or just said fix it and come back, but he is run by a corporation and has to follow rules.....
Moral of the story? ? DONT LET your damn lines touch anything, especially 700 degree headers. OH, and stay away from firestone.

and sold.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:41 PM   #30
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
In the time it would have taken to read this entire thread I could have bent up a new stainless brake line and bled the brakes. I -certainly- could have bent the existing line out of the way.

Something about growing up on a farm or around farmers - you just gotta fix it and move on.

Stainless lines better then the coated lines? Im getting ready to do my blazer and that is a debate i was tossing around....

and sold.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:26 PM   #31
ubtripn

RichardJ-I am good, thanks you for your input.

A sincere thanks to all for the helpful feedback.
ubtripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 08:39 PM   #32
Eddie H.

One time when I was working at a dealership, I got a vehicle that was towed in from the Firestone store down the street. It seems that their highly skilled service technician had done a brake job, and he had been trying to bleed the brakes for 2 days, and finally just gave up, telling the owner that they were unable to bleed the brakes and he would have to take it to the dealer. I pulled the front wheels off and just started laughing immediately. The calipers were on the wrong sides and had the bleeder screws on the bottom.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:50 PM   #33
special-K
Special Order

This thread is a mess. The shop did know the line was touching the header That is why thy refused to bleed it. It helps to read what you are replying to before posting

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 11:02 PM   #34
YBNORML

Its kind of hard to tell, with all the different posts. But during/after the first bleed did they notice the line was touching, and then let it leave without informing the O.P. about the issue? If so, I would think that the tech or shop would have some sort of responsibility in informing the customer that there was an issue.

When I worked at a Ford dealership when I was a young man we had a guy come in with a vehicle with some major safety issues. I don't remember what they were anymore, but what I do remember is that when he declined to repair them, they made him sign a form saying that they had informed him of the issues.

68’ GMC shortbox
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=794201

72' 2WD Blazer
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=425385

67' LongBox C-10
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=691845

InstaGram ybnorml67
YBNORML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:12 AM   #35
special-K
Special Order

^^^ That's what I got out of it. They did the bleed, noticed the line in the process, did nothing about it, charged him and sent him down the road without advising, then wouldn't re-bleed because the line was on the header. My snap shot tells me the wrench is too absorbed in finding Pokeman to be concerned with the customer's safety and/or getting what they paid for. The "not my job" mentality is for the weak minded self-absorbed wastes of the world. It actually feels great to take a step over and above just because it needed done with no one forcing you to do it.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 09-29-2016 at 10:50 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:38 AM   #36
ubtripn

That is what happened, it all done now, thank you guys.
ubtripn is offline   Reply With Quote