The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-26-2016, 06:35 PM   #26
BattleBorn

Re: First time truck buyer questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando_Vanschoyck View Post
I just bought my first 67-72 c10, it's not perfect but I have $50 in it and it's a 67 small window which is what I wanted. Also came with 2 brand new rockers to put in. I am a new welder/fabricator and bought this truck as something to try to save and fix with my own 2 hands. I'm the kind of guy who enjoys the journey rather than the destination. I also have a dad who builds racing engines and tons of friends who do metal fab/body work/paint etc. I guess it all boils down to how much money do you have or want to spend vs how much skill/time/or how many friends do you have that can help? Also how quickly do you want it to be on the road? Just another opinion from a regular old poor country boy trying to have a cool truck! Best of luck!!!
Yeah I understand. I've never been very patient. Haha. Rebuilding bikes has taught me more patience for sure. I like the journey as well. I like taking something and making it my own. I just don't want to get in over my head.. a bike is one thing. A truck is a whole new beast.
BattleBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 06:45 PM   #27
BattleBorn

so this is another truck I'm looking at.. is this more than surface rust?
I know some of the guys on here said rust is a deal breaker.. does that mean surface rust?
Attached Images

Old 11-26-2016, 07:20 PM   #28
Overdriven

To western folk surface rust is the kind that turns your hand orange when you run your hand over it. To us rust belters it means small flakes come off but you can't quite punch a screw driver through it yet. To me it looks like the sheetmetal has advanced surface rust where you get some flakes of metal coming off but no holes and you can't punch a screw driver through. If you sand blast and paint you can save the sheetmetal that's there in the pics. Don't worry about the rust pictured on the frame rails, as long as the rest of the frame is no worse than pictured it's fine. Judging by those pics I'd say the rest of the truck is probably really solid, at worst maybe the basics like cab corners and outer rockers might need replacing. Definitely worth a closer look.

You did notice in one of the pics a body bushings is missing though right? Not a deal breaker just something that's needs to be addressed.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 08:01 PM   #29
BattleBorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdriven View Post
To western folk surface rust is the kind that turns your hand orange when you run your hand over it. To us rust belters it means small flakes come off but you can't quite punch a screw driver through it yet. To me it looks like the sheetmetal has advanced surface rust where you get some flakes of metal coming off but no holes and you can't punch a screw driver through. If you sand blast and paint you can save the sheetmetal that's there in the pics. Don't worry about the rust pictured on the frame rails, as long as the rest of the frame is no worse than pictured it's fine. Judging by those pics I'd say the rest of the truck is probably really solid, at worst maybe the basics like cab corners and outer rockers might need replacing. Definitely worth a closer look.

You did notice in one of the pics a body bushings is missing though right? Not a deal breaker just something that's needs to be addressed.
Yes sir I did notice that.. the rockers are rusted. Nothing else seems to be bad tho.
Old 11-26-2016, 09:56 PM   #30
Overdriven

I still think it's worth a closer look. Be sure to check around where the kick panels meet the floor inside and out. And have a good look at the cab mounts on the body side.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 12:18 PM   #31
raggedjim

In my area those pics wouldn't keep me from buying a truck. If the rest of it looks good it may be one to consider.

Good luck, Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 08:17 PM   #32
BattleBorn

Thanks for all the help guy! I got a truck last night! It's actually the blue on I first posted about.. he sent better pics and drove it to Vegas. Has a little rust(the least I've seen so far in person) and it drives like like ****. Way too much play in the steering, needs carb rebuilt or replaced leaks a bit of oil. BUT I am stoked!! I'll do a build thread soon.. when I actually do some ish to it.

71 with inline 6. 3 on the tree.
Attached Images

Old 11-30-2016, 10:47 PM   #33
clay68c10

That looks pretty good, I like it.
Almost all of them need rockers and cab corners anyway, so I consider that a given.
05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. 3” lift & 6-speed
02 E320 the insurance total “free car”
13 Tahoe LTZ
clay68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 11:03 AM   #34
Brando_Vanschoyck

Love it brother congrats!!
Brando_Vanschoyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 06:44 PM   #35
BigBen702

Looks good!
BigBen702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:06 PM   #36
raggedjim

Looks like a great starting place. I'd get it running and drive it awhile before I started a teardown.

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote