The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-11-2018, 12:43 PM   #26
tim71

Re: Insurance coverage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsavage View Post
I am back with Hagerty after a few years with ACC. ACC wouldn't insure my Blazer while it was in restoration process even though I have close to 20K in the vehicle and parts so far. Hagerty did for the 20K agreed value. My Corvette is insured for 52.5 K, the GTO convertible for 51.5 K, and now the Blazer at 20 K all with 500K liability. Annual premium is $1000. I don't know of any classic car insurance that allows "daily driving" or unsecured parking (must be in a garage). They stay in business because the vehicles they insure are restored or higher dollar nice survivors, their owners want to protect their value (garage storage), and they are not regularly subjected to heavy traffic of daily commutes. Mileage plans mean nothing if restrictions on use prohibit "regular driving". Check the restrictions carefully. Also, if you have MV infractions or prior accidents, you may not get insured. I have never had a claim, but I have a friend whose 65 GTO vert caught on fire when she started it in her garage to go to a car show. It was totaled because she did not enough insurance on it to cover the damage. She did match the high bid at the auction and bought the car back. It is still being restored over 2 years later because a good deal of it is out of her pocket. Hagerty actually will seek out OE parts for your repair. I have met a guy who goes around to the various swap meets such as Charlotte, Carlisle, and Hershey looking for parts.
I agree with most of what you said. However, my mileage plan does mean something to me. As stated, I can drive my truck for 1000 miles per year of "pleasure driving". I never said 1000 miles of "daily driving". My policy does not allow driving to work, school, shopping, etc., nor do I want to use my truck in this manner. Yes, my truck does have to be kept in a locked secure garage. But I do want to drive my truck sometimes on a weekend or evening and I can do that under this policy. Most of the time when I drive my truck I do not even enter a parking lot, except to buy gas. I definitely want to protect the value of my truck, but I also want to drive it occasionally.
tim71 is offline   Reply With Quote