The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-23-2022, 01:23 AM   #26
Retoxtony

Re: Flip kit ended up too low. How do I gain some height back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad Cam View Post
I guess I got lucky with my F44 when I did the flip. It only dropped 5.5 inches and I have 3 inches between the axle and the bed frame. Can you post pictures when you get the helper bags installed? I'd like to see how they set them up.
Ya I’ll post up a few pics once I get it done. Might take a week or two till I have time for the install.
Retoxtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 01:52 AM   #27
Richard

Interested to see the if the result is as good as it was for me.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 08:11 AM   #28
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Good thing about the bags, you can adj your height to just how you want it to sit

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 05:49 PM   #29
TrybalRage

I had the same issue, but without the HD springs like you have. I figured I had two options - flip it back the way it was and do a shackle/hanger kit instead, or lower the front more to make it look right.

So anyway I'm in the middle of chopping and modifying my front inner fenders to make clearance...

2010 Suburban 2500 LT 4WD
TrybalRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 09:26 PM   #30
Retoxtony

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
Good thing about the bags, you can adj your height to just how you want it to sit
This was one of the deciding factors. I should be able to add or remove a little air to account for the Chevy lean I have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrybalRage View Post
I had the same issue, but without the HD springs like you have. I figured I had two options - flip it back the way it was and do a shackle/hanger kit instead, or lower the front more to make it look right.

So anyway I'm in the middle of chopping and modifying my front inner fenders to make clearance...
I really did consider just lowering the front a little more but I think any lower will cause me problems. The roads around here are way too rough to be much lower than it is now. And my wife drives the truck as much or more than me so she won’t want to deal with a truck that scrapes over speed bumps in every parking lot.
Retoxtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 10:58 PM   #31
LT7A

I've been watching this discussion with interest since I will likely end up with the same issue. I'm not "get it as low as possible" type of guy, but want a little less elevation with good driveability and a decent look. I also like the idea of the axle flip since I think spring under axle is inherently a little more stable. So I intend to use 4x hangers, and lift shackles if necessary, to bring it back up a little. I really don't want to install an additional on-board system. I'll be really interested to see that works. The nice thing is you can dial it in exactly where you want it.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 02:00 AM   #32
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
I've been watching this discussion with interest since I will likely end up with the same issue. I'm not "get it as low as possible" type of guy, but want a little less elevation with good driveability and a decent look. I also like the idea of the axle flip since I think spring under axle is inherently a little more stable. So I intend to use 4x hangers, and lift shackles if necessary, to bring it back up a little. I really don't want to install an additional on-board system. I'll be really interested to see that works. The nice thing is you can dial it in exactly where you want it.
How many leafs in your spring pack?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 03:16 PM   #33
LT7A

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Not sure, more than 4. Maybe seven? Been awhile since I counted. Has HD springs on the SPID though.
Old 04-25-2022, 08:37 AM   #34
LT7A

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Let's try that again: Five. 4 and an overload in my HD spring pack. 3 and an overload on my standard, parts truck. Sounds to me like somebody swapped three-quarter ton springs on to the OP's truck.
Old 04-25-2022, 12:14 PM   #35
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
Let's try that again: Five. 4 and an overload in my HD spring pack. 3 and an overload on my standard, parts truck. Sounds to me like somebody swapped three-quarter ton springs on to the OP's truck.
Or it was ordered w/a towing package for the era. My '74 had 8x 56" leaf set-up so when I did the flip-kit, it was every bit of 6" drop & then some. The truck also had the HD rear brakes w/the wider shoes.

Standard set-ups were usually around 5x 52" leaf so flip kits for them yield <6" drop & why many of the lighter duty trucks can get away w/not needing a c-notch.

The lighter duty 52" leaf packs also require notching @ one of the under-bed supports if adding longer drop shackles (the HD 56" leafs don't require the mod).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 01:12 PM   #36
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retoxtony View Post
I finally got around to doing the rear flip kit on my 79 yesterday and the end result is way more drop than I anticipated. By my measurement, my Belltech 4/6 kit gave me a little over 7 inches in the rear and almost 3.5 in the front. So now I have a reverse rake that does not look good. I assume this is because of my HD leaf pack.

So what are my options here? Any way to easily raise the back end up an inch or even two? I would prefer raising the rear rather than lowering the front more.

Any suggestions?
Cutting 1/2 coil out of the front springs will give you 1” more drop. I would wait until you get 4-500 miles on it first. Also, are the bottom of the front springs seated correctly? That can cause it to be higher also.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote