The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-19-2022, 09:14 PM   #26
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: Show me your non-original seats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by body bolt View Post
Those seats were redone when my granddaddy drove it for a while. They were the vinyl that's on the door panels. The sale fell through on this car and my brothers want me to have it. It was the car of never ending burnouts. My garage is full and as you know well being in Tucson, the desert sun is no match for a plastic roof. I wish I could keep it. Thanks for the compliment. My mom would have appreciated it.
My Dad left me a '73 Lincoln Connie. Deep Bronze Green with Tan vinyl roof.
460. Power everything. A real Tuna Boat. When the AC went out and the electric windows wouldn't open, I sold it to a guy from work, around 2003. He never re-registered it in his name. Then he burned his brains out. [Not saying how.] The Lincoln was abandoned on the south side. Couple years ago, I got a $500 ticket from the MVD for abandoning the car. I replied I'd sold it, but without the buyer registering it in his name, they said it was my responsibility. Finally got out of it because it was in my Mom's name, and she was deceased.

Anyway, I was looking at movie clips on IMDb from the thread on this website '' Movie Trucks.'' Discussion revolved around a '72 GMC Suburban. It was blue and white in ''Big Wednesday'' as a Surf Buggy. Then about 5 years later it was Chuck Norris's ride in ''Lone Wolf McQuade.'' Lately the Sub got a Panda Bear paint job as a Navajo Rez Police truck in the AMC series ''Dark Winds.'' So I'm catching the trailer for Dark Winds on IMDb -- and in one of the cuts, I see my Dad's Lincoln -- fixed up -- charging at the camera.

There was an HBO car picture in Tucson last year, called ''Duster'' Some Transport Captain snatched the old Connie up. Gotta hand it to him, it never looked better. Fresh tan vinyl roof, re sprayed Deep Bronze Green, and the killer was -- they actually fixed the vacuum-operated headlight cover flaps. Never worked for my Dad. He wired them up.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 07-19-2022 at 11:25 PM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 09:28 PM   #27
'68OrangeSunshine

These are the seats in my '71 GMC Jimmy. PO's Bright Idea.
[Needless to say, I want and need new seats, so I like this thread.]
But these are not the seats you want. I'm told they came out of an '80s Camaro/Firebird. They do recline, but that's their only redeeming feature. GM in its infinite wisdom decided to mold the seat foam all around the spring assembly. Saved a lot of time on the assembly line. However, you can't reupholster them. Just buy new. Well it's 40 years later, and where the foam is worn away, little spring ends come up to poke my butt.
Their crowning glory, is the 4'' x 4'' blocks of wood the rear seat frames are lagged into. Head-on collision and I'm toast.

Pix:
Attached Images

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 07-19-2022 at 11:20 PM. Reason: pix
Old 07-20-2022, 09:12 PM   #28
May70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyridin View Post
Yes. It is padded and turns into a seat. There is also a storage area under the seat as well as under the lid.
Joyridin - What year are those seats out of? Silverado

How to repair that rusted out 67-72 c10-c30! Please subscribe!
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaycoCustomRestorations
May70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 07:08 AM   #29
Joyridin

Quote:
Originally Posted by May70 View Post
Joyridin - What year are those seats out of? Silverado
They came from a 2008 Nissan Maxima and the leather center console came from a 2018 Silverado. They look like they were made as a set they match so perfect. I had to modify the plastic on the console in the back as it was 1/2" too wide, but nobody will ever see it anyhow. The seat have full power and heat.
Joyridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 10:09 PM   #30
body bolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
These are the seats in my '71 GMC Jimmy. PO's Bright Idea.
[Needless to say, I want and need new seats, so I like this thread.]
But these are not the seats you want. I'm told they came out of an '80s Camaro/Firebird. They do recline, but that's their only redeeming feature. GM in its infinite wisdom decided to mold the seat foam all around the spring assembly. Saved a lot of time on the assembly line. However, you can't reupholster them. Just buy new. Well it's 40 years later, and where the foam is worn away, little spring ends come up to poke my butt.
Their crowning glory, is the 4'' x 4'' blocks of wood the rear seat frames are lagged into. Head-on collision and I'm toast.

Pix:
I hope you used treated lumber for those seat mounts.
body bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 09:51 PM   #31
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by body bolt View Post
I hope you used treated lumber for those seat mounts.
Might be treated lumber. Or even genuine Creosote. I bought the truck in '95.
It was the PO's modification.
I tell you, termites won't touch it.
The P0 moved here from California, but after 27 years in the arid desert, the wood is splitting.
It's high time for real seats. But vintage correct, OEM or NOS seats are astronomical if not transmutated into depleted Inobtainium.
I would like some buckets that lean forward for rear Blazer-style access, and at the same time adjust back on slides, as well as recline.
I have 2 simultaneous projects: A] Rebuilding the rear suspension on my '68 C/10 Stepside. And B] switching out the 33x12.50x15 knobbies for some skinnier road tires, 235/75/R16s on aluminum rims.

Old 07-31-2022, 03:00 AM   #32
Fraud

Some great setups in this thread!

I'm curious on bench seat options... Looking for something that folds forward for access behind the seats, has head restraints on at least the outer seats, and on rails to slide forward/backward (don't care if they slide independently or all together). Not fussed about how modern or old they are... But nothing showy, ideally they could be retrimmed to look stock, or if they're more modern just a plain black or something, no fancy stitching or whatever.

I've seen a few that have done a fantastic job using the rear seat from a modern dual cab truck, but they generally don't have rails because they're a rear seat.

The TMI seats would do what I want but they don't have headrestraints, and I also feel like the middle seat on their bench option is less of a center seat and more of a giant bolster between the driver and the outboard passenger.
Fraud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 04:54 AM   #33
Richard

I like a bench in a truck. Will most likely use the 94 60/40 bench I obtained for my 72. Folds forward and has a thin back which provides more room. May even lower bit making the mounting points. Know it is comfortable because I have a 94. Hope to find someone to recover in a way I like. Wood for seat mounting is not a good idea.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 02:23 PM   #34
jgrote

I hope you don't mind me hijacking a little bit. I need a bench seat that has an integrated 3 point seat belt for the middle seat. Do you have any recommendations?
jgrote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 04:38 PM   #35
LS short box

My 20 Silverado has 60/40 bench in the front. Console that folds up if you need to use the center seat. When you fold it up it locks and then has a three point seat belt built in.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 02:15 PM   #36
craigg1

This seat originally came out of 98 Chevy crew cab (back seat).
Attached Images

Old 08-01-2022, 06:42 PM   #37
BRL

Hi everyone, I almost got "T- boned" the other day...my fault, apparently I don't walk on water..
Threw the truck Sideways and didn't receive a scratch but hi-back buckets wouldn't have made a difference.
...be safe
BRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 08:33 PM   #38
CLASSIC87'
OL BLUU

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971Stepside View Post
Snowden...
Nice... do you have a lower side view. I would like to see what brackets you have installed. I'd like to have mine set lower.

Thanks,
Anthony
CLASSIC87' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 12:27 AM   #39
HO455
Post Whore

I made these for my Burban but there's no reason you couldn't put them in a pickup. The seat is an unmodified 68-70 bottom with a back modified with parts from 2006 Ford pickup.
I have head rests for the seat but I'm waiting on some parts from Ford to install them.

This link goes to my repair thread page where I posted the modifications.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...698377&page=28
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 11:54 AM   #40
Beach-Burban

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
I made these for my Burban but there's no reason you couldn't put them in a pickup. The seat is an unmodified 68-70 bottom with a back modified with parts from 2006 Ford pickup.
I have head rests for the seat but I'm waiting on some parts from Ford to install them.

This link goes to my repair thread page where I posted the modifications.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...698377&page=28
I don't think I've seen your seat from this angle before...this picture really shows off the side bolsters, making it look like a hybrid bucket/bench seat! I like it!!!

Woody
Beach-Burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 07:30 PM   #41
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach-Burban View Post
I don't think I've seen your seat from this angle before...this picture really shows off the side bolsters, making it look like a hybrid bucket/bench seat! I like it!!!

Woody
Thanks again!
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote