The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-20-2023, 09:49 AM   #26
Ironangel

Re: Got my Grandpa's truck back after 25 years - advice?

What an awesome story! Welcome to the forum of the exclusive 67-72 truck owners! First off, that steering wheel IS correct! That truck is a beauty, your grampa bought what has become an icon in the truck world. I'm sure he's smiling down on you for finding his pride and joy and bringing it back home, wow, how cool is that! I'm a grampa 9 times with two 72 C/10's one 71 C/30 flat bed and one 71 C/50 grain hauler. So far only one of the two boys has shown any interest in the old trucks but I've already made it clear that the C/10's stay in the family. That was a heartfelt story, it pleases me greatly that you went and found that truck, your folks obviously brought you up right...Now then, "don't fix nuthin if it ain't broke!" Do indeed check the brake linings and fluid. Lay down under the front end while somebody turns the wheel left to right, you'll be able to see any slack in the ball joints and tie rod ends. Dont start the motor to make this check, just bounce the wheel back and fourth without actually turning the wheels. You'll be able to see a bad tie rod end if it moves without moving the rod or link. Pay close attention to that rag joint while making this check, there should be no slack or flex there. If the shaft seems good there then look at where it enters the steering box, is the shaft and pitman arm moving together or is there a bit of slack between the shaft turning and the pitman arm movement? You'll get a lot of good help and advice here so take it slow, you did good getting that service manual, thats the first most important tool a new owner can buy! Looking forward to your future posts and pics! I'll bet that old girl has a Dana 60 rear end, how about a pic of the SPID, the white label on the inside of the glovebox lid? I wouldn't change a thing except maybe an HEI ignition but them points ignitions are mighty reliable even after 50 years. Good luck and good on you!
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 09:54 AM   #27
BanjoDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6672 View Post
Does it have cruise control? Can you post a SPID pic? Thanks
It does have cruise, and it works!

Here's the SPID. My only disappointment at this point with the truck. I wonder if he at some point got solvent on it or something. Can't imagine it would fade being in the dark all the time. Is there a way to get a reproduction so you know what was on it?
Attached Images

BanjoDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 09:57 AM   #28
BanjoDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelo View Post
Being a Grandpa I would be proud if my grandson got one of my trucks. Your Grandpa is smiling in heaven, I am sure of that.

As far as the truck goes you have a keeper. I would go through the brakes. If you just do the seals you may even be able to keep the wheel cylinders as they are. Sounds like your Grandpa would have done it that way. Nobody changes the brake fluid like they should. You will have to do it sooner than later anyway. Change the differential and trans fluid while you are at it. And don't forget to replace the antifreeze. You might go so far as to pull the 1/4" pipe plugs and drain the block. These will need to be unplugged as a lot of gunk ends up there. Flush it with lots of water till it comes clean and then add antifreeze. Clean out behind the seats and in the cab corners and don't forget the inside of the doors. You will find a complete thread, in this forum, on the places to clean/clear to keep any corrosion at bay.
I would change the heater hoses to black and go to the squeeze and tower clamps like it came from GM. When it needs a battery purchase a Delco. The cruise control was likely added. I would clean up the cruise control wiring to between the inner fender and the fender. This will help it look stock like you prefer and most are easy enough to do.
I am happy for you.
Cheers
Thank you so much! I do plan to change every fluid in the truck just so I know for sure what it is and when it was changed. That would indeed be the ideal time to change the hoses and clamps back to stock. I have the parts book, so I'd assume there is a diagram that shows the proper parts there - haven't looked at that much yet.
Old 02-20-2023, 10:12 AM   #29
BanjoDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
Nice looking truck. Being from western PA and OH area, that is really clean. To me if you dealt with the GT6, you'll have no issues with the truck.
Thanks! Grandpa always kept it garaged when he owned it, and the interim owner said it had only been in the rain a couple of times in the 25 years he had it - only when he got caught by a pop-up shower. It's almost impossible to believe how little rust is on the thing given PA salt and weather.

I'm pleasantly surprised by how easy it is to get parts for the C20. The GT6 is a giant treasure hunt. I've ordered parts from England, Ireland, Italy, Vietnam, and of course all over the US for that thing to get it to this point. I try to use the cars as a way to challenge and teach my kids to learn new things. My youngest is 11, and he's learning to 3D print things. He made me an expansion grommet for the brake booster that is NLA last week.
My older two are 16 and 18, and they've been helping with the resto - electroplating, powder coating, tracking down weird parts, etc. I'm hoping we have it on the road later this year.
Attached Images

Old 02-20-2023, 10:24 AM   #30
BanjoDude

At the risk of being sappy, all these comments are really making me think back through time. Not sure if this is on point in a technical forum, but here are a couple of pictures I've been looking back through. First one is of the sign Grandpa had hanging in his shop (now hangs in mine). Next one is of his *reduced* hours posting (71!!), effective Aug. 1, 1966 - he wanted an hour from 8-9 each night to spend with his boys and a few hours on Sat. afternoon to teach them to swim. Next one is of him playing with my oldest son - the one standing by the truck in the picture above. Dang, I miss him terribly.
Attached Images

Old 02-20-2023, 11:18 AM   #31
notsolo

Great truck, and story. Check the back of the seat in between the springs, build sheet sometimes survives, or possibly was saved.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 11:19 AM   #32
BanjoDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsolo View Post
Great truck, and story. Check the back of the seat in between the springs, build sheet sometimes survives, or possibly was saved.
Unfortunately, it's not there. They recovered the seat about 20 years ago, so I suspect it got pulled then.
Old 02-20-2023, 03:15 PM   #33
dave6672

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoDude View Post
It does have cruise, and it works!

Here's the SPID. My only disappointment at this point with the truck. I wonder if he at some point got solvent on it or something. Can't imagine it would fade being in the dark all the time. Is there a way to get a reproduction so you know what was on it?
Here's a link for getting reproduction ones made. I guess you'd have to get your trucks options figured out first, though.

http://outintheshop.com/2.html

1972 K20
1972 C20 Highlander
1967 C10
dave6672 is offline   Reply With Quote