The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-23-2023, 02:45 PM   #26
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Re: Steering Mystery - I Need Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
Just wondering here, are 4WD susceptible to the same infamous steering center link installed backwards that 2WD C-10's get?
I'm glad you asked... I have been following this thread with the same question in mind. I bet we find out before long.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 03:36 PM   #27
Rust_never_sleeps

Quote:
Just wondering here, are 4WD susceptible to the same infamous steering center link installed backwards that 2WD C-10's get?
Wouldn't it be impossible to set the toe-in to 3/16" or anything close with the center link reversed?
Old 12-23-2023, 03:57 PM   #28
Richard

Here is an older thread on K series caster. https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...ght=k10+caster
Post #13 shows factory caster settings for the different years.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 05:37 PM   #29
dmjlambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust_never_sleeps View Post
Wouldn't it be impossible to set the toe-in to 3/16" or anything close with the center link reversed?
I don't know, but I think there is a great range of adjustment in the tie rods, and there have been some threads in the forum about 2WD C-10's having wacky steering with the center link backwards being the culprit, so had to ask for those familiar with 4WD.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 06:18 PM   #30
A1971Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
I'm glad you asked... I have been following this thread with the same question in mind. I bet we find out before long.
the 4x4 has front to back steering at the driver side steering knuckle….it has a tie rod across to the passenger side knuckle…completely different from 2wd steering
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 02:12 AM   #31
Richard

As A1971Blazer stated the steering is real simple. On driver side an adjustable draglink from pitman arm on steering box to steering arm on driver knuckle and a single tierod that connects the left and right knuckles together. Do no think there is anyway to install the pieces wrong. If a steering stabilizer mount is on the tie rod it most likely will need to be adjusted.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2023, 08:49 PM   #32
truckster

Follow up: I checked everything out today. All of the joints (ball joints, tie rod ends, etc.) are really nice and tight. The rag joint is good. I put in the caster shims (thick end toward the back) and it tracks nice and straight, but the steering is still loose. I adjusted the steering box 1/8 turn and it helped a bit, but it was an O'Reilly's reman box when I installed it, and I suspect I just need to replace it.
Old 12-26-2023, 09:12 PM   #33
dmjlambert

I suggest adjust the thrust bearing preload followed by the over-center preload. Thrust bearing preload amounts to tighten the big threaded plug all the way and back it off by 1/2 inch thread movement. Then make sure you can feel it takes additional torque to turn the input shaft when you go over center. Measure where over center is by counting the turns from one end of steering to the other. Adjust the over-center preload screw if necessary. Here is the official procedure with some minor amounts of thoughts added.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=812162
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2023, 09:19 PM   #34
truckster

Quote:
I suggest adjust the thrust bearing preload followed by the over-center preload. Thrust bearing preload amounts to tighten the big threaded plug all the way and back it off by 1/2 inch thread movement. Then make sure you can feel it takes additional torque to turn the input shaft when you go over center. Measure where over center is by counting the turns from one end of steering to the other. Adjust the over-center preload screw if necessary. Here is the official procedure with some minor amounts of thoughts added.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=812162
Thanks for the write-up. I'll give that a try tomorrow. I haven't built a tool in the past couple of days so it's about time.
Old 12-27-2023, 06:49 PM   #35
truckster

Well, I adjusted the gearbox but it's still really sloppy. I think it's the cheap rebuild quality - I've been told they clean them, replace the seals, paint them, and box them up.

I just ordered from Redhead. Just over $500 with shipping, not including the core charge. I hope it's worth it.
Old 01-08-2024, 10:41 PM   #36
truckster

Here's my follow-up:

As mentioned, I replaced the ball joints, tie rod ends, all the bearings, seals, etc.

I reinstalled the caster shims, this time with the wide end to the rear. It was tracking straight, but the steering was really loose. I bought the Redhead steering gear and a new coupler (rag joint). Now it tracks straight and true and the steering is nice and tight.

Thanks for all the advice.