The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-09-2012, 08:35 PM   #476
pgf545

Re: 52 Project

Rally haven't been doing much fun stuff, welding the headlight buckets in, misc body work and other misc bracket building etc. Not many pictures. However dad did get a few cool goodies for Christmas.

Bernie
Attached Images

Old 01-10-2012, 07:32 PM   #477
Wvgearhead

Bernie,
I have thought about going with the under dash mc, which a/c unit did you go with. Did you run into any trouble fitting it? Also, will you have windshield wipers? I would like to see how all that would fit.
Aaron
Posted via Mobile Device
Wvgearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:20 PM   #478
BIG CHEVY 3600
BIG CHEVY 3600 LONGBOX

I just finished installing an Old Air unit in my 51. I chose it because of the option of a vent in the original speaker grill. This eliminates the need for the vent run at the base of the dash. There is plenty of room for a radio (I'm using a modern one that fits in the original setting) and electric wipers.

http://s729.photobucket.com/albums/w...cpZZ3QQtppZZ20
BIG CHEVY 3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:34 PM   #479
pgf545

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wvgearhead View Post
Bernie,
I have thought about going with the under dash mc, which a/c unit did you go with. Did you run into any trouble fitting it? Also, will you have windshield wipers? I would like to see how all that would fit.
Aaron
Posted via Mobile Device
Aaron, we are using the Vintage Air unit and yes its tight. I have about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch inbetween the ac unit and the master cylinder. There is plenty or working room around it though just between them it is tight. As for wipers, yes we are going to have them and already got a kit but just haven't gotten it mocked up yet. We went with a cable driven unit and were told that the motor could go just about anywhere....guess we will see. I posted a picture on the previous page of the ac unit and the booster mounted.

Bernie
Old 01-11-2012, 10:27 PM   #480
Wvgearhead

Thanks Bernie, I guess I'm running out of reasons for not pulling the trigger on a underdash unit. I thought about goin with Scott's with the clutch. I haven't decided for sure. The truck looks great by the way. Camero is pretty sweet too. Can't wait to see more of your work.
Aaron
Posted via Mobile Device
Wvgearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:59 PM   #481
pgf545

Thanks Aaron, It has been a long draw out process. I have been pretty much doing most of it by myself here lately, my dad has been down after surgery and can't do to much. I keep plugging away a little at a time. I can only get to his place once a week so it is surprising that I have even gotten this far.

I am only familiar with the Kugel unit so I can't really comment on any others. I see posts form others on here about Scotts and have never seen anything negative, plus he post on here so I am sure his customer service is good. Good luck with your truck and if I can help you with anything else let me know.

Bernie
Old 02-21-2012, 07:43 PM   #482
pgf545

So really haven't been doing to much that is picture worthy. Most banging out dent and starting to get the fenders worked out. I also got the passenger door to fit much better and will have to do a little work on the gap but I am not going to get to crazy with it because we plan on driving it and not making a show car...lol. I did play this past weekend with some lead free solder from Eastwood and am starting to get the have of it. It will probably still need a skim coat of plastic but at least I didn't completely mess it up. Here are a couple of pictures of the mess I made Sunday. Enjoy!

Bernie

Oh yeah and one of my dad and a friend of his helping with the body work!!! I need all the help I can get.
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2012, 10:51 AM   #483
Detroit3100

great build. Thanks for the tip on the drivers side ebrake support, I am going to add that to my list of metal.

I have toyed around the idea of leading some of my body work...cool beans.
Detroit3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:28 PM   #484
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Everything is looking great Bernie
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:16 AM   #485
pgf545

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit3100 View Post
great build. Thanks for the tip on the drivers side ebrake support, I am going to add that to my list of metal.

I have toyed around the idea of leading some of my body work...cool beans.
Thank you for the comments. The leading started butt ugly and then went to kinda ugly and finally to acceptable. I am learn as you go guy and am mostly not afraid to try stuff. My theory is what's the worst that can happen????

Thanks Kabwe, getting closer every day!

Bernie
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-19-2012, 09:45 PM   #486
pgf545

So I am getting a little better at the leading thing....I did the blend between the cowl and the outer cowl piece by the door. I also did a couple of other places too but didn't take any pictures. Kinda looks rough in the pictures because I had just rough filed before doing the sanding. Most of the stuff lately has been paint prep so not many cool pictures unless you guys like sanding dust pictures....lol. Hopefully we will start running the brake and fuel lines pretty soon, dad was going to try to run some of that stuff and also do some more sanding this week.

Bernie
Attached Images

Old 03-20-2012, 08:20 AM   #487
bensimmons_05

Don't see much leading anywhere, looks like your doing good at it!

---The shop's live video feed--- <<< See what I'm up to!
bensimmons_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:08 PM   #488
pgf545

I started filling the seam in the hood today. I know this is probably not the way the professional body guys do it but this is how its going to get done...lol. Here are a couple of pictures, I will finish welding it in the next couple of weekends.

Bernie
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2012, 12:02 AM   #489
MARTINSR

That is actually a perfectly fine way to do that. Now, take literally a week to weld it. I am not kidding make a couple of welds a quarter inch long or less, make them a few feet apart and then walk away and leave it. DO NOT cool the welds with air or water, this WILL warp it as this is the very thing you want to do to shrink something, so just make short little welds then let them cool on their own.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:08 AM   #490
pgf545

Thanks Brian, That is my plan, will probably take me a couple of Sundays to finish the welding. What I was doing yesterday was make a few tacks and let it cool and then do a few more and let it cool etc. I talked to a guy at a local car show and that is how he did his and it turned out great. I have plenty of other stuff to do while it cools also, so not to worried about the time.

Bernie
Old 03-26-2012, 12:22 PM   #491
72ArizonaBurb

I am considering doing the exact same thing. I was wondering about welding the two halves together and then filling above that with bondo. This would reduce my welding requirements by 1/2. I was curious as to how other members did theirs.
72ArizonaBurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:08 PM   #492
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgf545 View Post
I have plenty of other stuff to do while it cools also, so not to worried about the time.

Bernie
That is exactly right Bernie! Just take your time, you can't take too long doing this, the longer the better. Nice quick, hot welds too. What I mean by hot is do some tests, turn up the heat and the wire speed as much as you can where you can dive in, do a weld in a second and back off. If you have it too cool thinking this is the way to do it, it takes too long to get the weld started and you are creating more heat. But either way, think about that and try it a few different ways and see what works best for you. I personally like a nice fast hot weld.

Brian

Old 03-26-2012, 10:17 PM   #493
MARTINSR

One of these days I need to borrow my brothers infra red thermometer and do a little testing.

Brian

Old 03-26-2012, 10:48 PM   #494
pgf545

Thanks Brian, I am using the Tig for welding this so I can control it pretty good. Plus I can lay a much smaller bead/spot weld with it than the mig. I was having pretty good success yesterday with it. Thanks again for the information and I will let you know how it turns out soon....lol.

Bernie
Old 04-04-2012, 10:47 PM   #495
altereddezignz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgf545 View Post
Ok I finally got it right...lol. I reread the instructions and have determined that they suck and don't explain very much for my application. After reviewing the drive shaft clearance it was determined that I must of had too much beer to drink or just a case of head up my butt, probably the latter. I cut the spots and flipped the cross member over and things look much better. I spotted it back in and pulled a block out, slapped the heads and tranny on and gave it a test fit while I was there. I also got the rear shock cross member tacked in, so all in all it was a good day yesterday. I probably won't make it down this weekend cause I have this wedding anniversary thing going on....duck here comes the wife...love ya honey. Here are a few shots of what I got done. Thanks Paul for confirming my goof up, but at least it is fixed now.

Bernie

P.S. I had a flash today at work and realized that the tranny isn't going to work as currently configured. This transmission came out of a 1 ton truck that had a 2 piece driveshaft that had the slip coupler after the carrier bearing so after talking to dad we might go with a 700R4 or try to get another output shaft for this transmission, so the tranny mount is going to stay tacked for a while.
What leaf springs and hangers are you using on the rear?
altereddezignz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:53 PM   #496
pgf545

We got a kit from TCI I think. It came with the springs, hangers and brackets. I will have to double check the next time I am down there to see exactly who we got it from.

Bernie
Old 04-05-2012, 07:58 PM   #497
altereddezignz

Did you just order that kit and all the hardware worked with using the aftermarket rearend? looking at using a s-10 maybe a fullsize rear but more than likely an s-10. Not much power will be made.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:55 PM   #498
pgf545

Quote:
Originally Posted by altereddezignz View Post
Did you just order that kit and all the hardware worked with using the aftermarket rearend? looking at using a s-10 maybe a fullsize rear but more than likely an s-10. Not much power will be made.
Yes it worked no problem with the 9" rear end that we put in the truck. I still have to set the pinion angle once the weight gets on the truck but other than that it was pretty much bolt in. If I remember right you will have to cut the rivets out and remove the existing brackets but that isn't that hard to do. If you have any questions let me know.

Bernie
Old 04-05-2012, 11:02 PM   #499
pgf545

I was thinking back and looking at some pictures and maybe this is the kit we got? I can't remember exactly what kit it was since it have been a while. This one seems to ring a bell and looks like the parts that I remember installing.

http://www.classicperform.com/Store/...ks/4754RLK.htm

Bernie
Old 04-05-2012, 11:05 PM   #500
altereddezignz

Thank you so much. This may be the best rout to go rather than trying to install the s-10 leafs and hangers since more than likely i will have to cut the hangers and make them git. Then find center of axle and all that..