The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-06-2009, 03:04 PM   #501
sidthirteen

Re: My 1965 build thread

Hey Alan! First of all, I've been following your progress and I gotta say you do amazing work! Keep it up!
As far as the stud welder/dent puller tool, I bought one from Harbor Freight Tools for $100. For those that are familiar with that store, they have them on sale every now and then for $100. For a hobbyist it works just fine. Just wanted to put that info out for those that might be interested.......Here's the site http://www.harborfreight.com/
sidthirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:07 PM   #502
ruffrida2005
Member of the longbed union.

Hey Alan I just wanted to say your truck look sweet man, I've been reading your post for the last 4 hours. Do to internet in Iraq being slow. I was thinking about your gas filler, Have you thought about puting it behind your left tail light. Like the older caddys are that pop out. I'm probably going to put suburban lights in the upper bed post of that eara, and put some kind of pop out fuel filler where the old lights will go! I have a 64 and I cant do all the work that you have, you know the military didn't pay crap and still doesn't. But I love your build up. I'll be back from Iraq in a month and cant wait to get into it. Has anyone had anyone problems with CPP's break kits?

88 GMC Crew Cab dually, 454/T400

64 LWB 400 HP 350/350T Bagged, under construction! Sold most of it!

92 S10 Iron Duke 5 speed, 5/7 drop for now. soon to be bagged. Sold http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post4637759
ruffrida2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 12:19 AM   #503
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strodder View Post
For a few projects it wouldn't be worth it. For the everyday body man it's a must..

Allan I saw a 55 dash for sale really cheap, and thought of getting it to put in my 65. At this point I just want to get it on the road. I can always do it later, but I would really like to put one like your in.
It's alot of work but well worth it.

Quote:
I'm thinking of posting a build thread on mine. I'm back halfing a 73 1/2 ton short bed to the 3/4 ton long bed front of my 65, and converting it to a 1/2 ton short bed. I bought a wrecked 73, and am using everything I can off it. I don't like the coils on the 60-72 frames. That's why I'm doing this. I made a custom triangle 4-link for it that has canter lever air bag mounts. It will be an interesting build. Based on doing everything as cheap as I can. So far I have only $740.00 in both trucks.
Get your thread going. You know you will. Look forward to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverino66 View Post
Alan-
Just wanted to take a minute to compliment your AMAZING work. I'm another one who spent more than an hour recently catching up on your build - it's an inspiration to us average slobs.
Thanks Steve, comments like this and others motivate me as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidthirteen View Post
Hey Alan! First of all, I've been following your progress and I gotta say you do amazing work! Keep it up!
As far as the stud welder/dent puller tool, I bought one from Harbor Freight Tools for $100. For those that are familiar with that store, they have them on sale every now and then for $100. For a hobbyist it works just fine. Just wanted to put that info out for those that might be interested.......Here's the site http://www.harborfreight.com/
I forgot about HF, that's a great point. I used to shop there alot. Thanks for the great comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffrida2005 View Post
Hey Alan I just wanted to say your truck look sweet man, I've been reading your post for the last 4 hours. Do to internet in Iraq being slow. I was thinking about your gas filler, Have you thought about puting it behind your left tail light. Like the older caddys are that pop out. I'm probably going to put suburban lights in the upper bed post of that eara, and put some kind of pop out fuel filler where the old lights will go! I have a 64 and I cant do all the work that you have, you know the military didn't pay crap and still doesn't. But I love your build up. I'll be back from Iraq in a month and cant wait to get into it. Has anyone had anyone problems with CPP's break kits?
First let me say thanks for your sacrifice and service.

I have thought about doing a hidden fuel filler. The problem is I can't decide on what tail lights I want to run. I need to do some searching and try to find something to tie the truck and the Impala dash together. What year caddy has lights like you mentioned? I don't plan on ordering anything else from CPP until I hear some good feed back from fellow members. As you have probably read my last few experiences haven't been good. Have a safe trip home.

Miata update: I color sanded and re cleared for a deeper shine. The owner s going to love it.

Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:39 PM   #504
Barebones66

I saw this thread about a week ago for the first time and now a few others I know are watching the progress unfold and are encouraged by whats taking place. Your very talented and your teaching points are very helpful.

I honestly don't know how you have the time to run a business, build a ride and answer all these questions, not to mention taking time to give us pointers and information. Truely amazing, thanks for all your efforts man. Keep up the good work.
Barebones66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:13 PM   #505
ruffrida2005
Member of the longbed union.

Hey man I did a little research about the taillight filler, It came on the 56-57 chevys. the tail lights would look good on our truck but it would give you an Idea how to do it. I found this site that sales a kit for the 55 http://rockyhin.ipower.com/store/product8.html Then I got to thinking whatever light you decide to use, you could put a small actuator behind it with the light on a hiden hinge, Just a thought!

88 GMC Crew Cab dually, 454/T400

64 LWB 400 HP 350/350T Bagged, under construction! Sold most of it!

92 S10 Iron Duke 5 speed, 5/7 drop for now. soon to be bagged. Sold http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post4637759
ruffrida2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 10:13 PM   #506
Strodder
Daring to be Different

Quote:
Hey man I did a little research about the taillight filler, It came on the 56-57 chevys. the tail lights would look good on our truck but it would give you an Idea how to do it. I found this site that sales a kit for the 55 http://rockyhin.ipower.com/store/product8.html Then I got to thinking whatever light you decide to use, you could put a small actuator behind it with the light on a hiden hinge, Just a thought!
That kit is kinda pricy.
KUSTOM RIDES
FACE BOOK PAGE:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/291198124258863/
1965 C-10 Short Bed 350/700r4
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2016 Honda Accord w/ 18" rims
2007 Honda Goldwing Trike w/ NAVI
2001 Yamaha Roadstar Indian look alike
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting "...WOW!...what an amazing ride!"
Live Life Passionately!!!

[/COLOR]

I AM WE TODD IT, I AM SOFA KING WE TODD IT
Strodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:56 PM   #507
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barebones66 View Post
I saw this thread about a week ago for the first time and now a few others I know are watching the progress unfold and are encouraged by whats taking place. Your very talented and your teaching points are very helpful.

I honestly don't know how you have the time to run a business, build a ride and answer all these questions, not to mention taking time to give us pointers and information. Truely amazing, thanks for all your efforts man. Keep up the good work.
Thanks so much for the comments. Just to clear it up, I don't have a business yet. I do work on friends and family cars until my reputation gets out. This truck should showcase what I can do. I wish I could spend more time on here checking out everyones projects, but that would be a full time job in itself.

Quote:
Thanks for the research. I thought about rigging a light with a door latch popper. The ones used with saved handles. First I need to decide on a light and decided from that point. I will keep that idea in mind.

I wish I could complete a something. I had hopes of having the cab painted by now. I have things to do before that happens, like mount the seats. Tonight I started by positioning the console and drivers seat.

I used a 1 1/2" spacer in the rear and almost an inch in the front. That will allow me to push the seat back while being in a comfortable position. Now I have to figure out what would be the best what to build something to simulate my spacers. Then mount it securely to the floor.

Last edited by Alan's Classic; 02-07-2009 at 11:59 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:17 AM   #508
Alan's Classic

This has nothing to do with my build, but thought I would share what I use to do prior to this build. It's been on the shelf since last fall. After charging the batteries it fired up right away. I've never raced it at a track, but I get together with my Dad and neighbor and have a blast. They have Savages as well. It's a HPI Savage with a .28 STS (3.5 HP) engine and 3 speed tranny. This thing can ride a wheelie as long as you have room. It also has true beadlock wheels. I kept slinging the tires off the original rims.

This a maintenance stand I made for it. Of course I made 3 so I could give my Dad and neighbor one.

I had my daughter try to film it running. It was her first time filming. She did a pretty good job filming something moving. I wanted the video to capture what it can do like jumping, hitting thrid gear and wheelies. I was going to get the wife to film but it stalled and then the pull cord broke. In the video it's running rich and not getting all of the power that it is capable of.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:25 AM   #509
joe231

that is cool!
i've always wanted a non-electric powered r/c
Old 02-09-2009, 12:47 AM   #510
CSoliz
Torn between 66 and 78

Those are cool pics. We have a Nitro Rustler. We love it, but we have a hard time keeping the wheels on, we spin them off all the time. We are getting a truck soon. I hope.

Last edited by CSoliz; 02-09-2009 at 12:47 AM.
CSoliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:22 AM   #511
Alan's Classic

Here is someone getting all 3 gears

Drivers on board camera. Truck is on slicks

Professional drivers (maybe)

OK enough playing, I've got to get something done. Got to have fun every now and then.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:59 AM   #512
Old School Kid
Rottenwood Garage Member..Yes!

You shouldn't of done that Alan!! I gotta have one now! Thanks

My 65 (SOLD)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317013
My 51 (SOLD)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...80#post3551880
Racetruck III (SOLD)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...72#post4254972

Rottenwood Garage and Speed Shop.....where everything must be racy!

Gone to dark side for a while...1966 F100 in the stable
Old School Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:48 AM   #513
Strodder
Daring to be Different

Love the sound of it shifting the 3 speeds. Cool RC
KUSTOM RIDES
FACE BOOK PAGE:

[/COLOR]

Old 02-09-2009, 05:01 PM   #514
66Z71

Damn I love that Impala dash. It would look so good in my truck
I have the perfect stablemate for it...

My Highschool sweethart.

Time to hit EvilBay

Can't wait to see your truck done, it's been an inspiration to me.

Eric
66Z71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:42 AM   #515
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School Kid View Post
You shouldn't of done that Alan!! I gotta have one now! Thanks
That's what my neighbor said, he's been hooked since.

Quote:
Love the sound of it shifting the 3 speeds. Cool RC
It's just amazing that something that small can have a 3 speed tranny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Z71 View Post
Damn I love that Impala dash. It would look so good in my truck
I have the perfect stablemate for it...

My Highschool sweethart.

Time to hit EvilBay

Can't wait to see your truck done, it's been an inspiration to me.

Eric
Damn, I love your Impala. My uncle had one sitting out in the woods a long time ago (30 years). I begged and begged, but since I was 10-12 years old nobody listened. I thought that was the coolest car. He finally sold it, but not to me. I didn't know he was even selling it. Being stationed in the Phillipines might have been a good reason why he didn't offer it too me.

Thanks for the comment
Old 02-10-2009, 07:48 PM   #516
Alan's Classic

I might have a plan, let me know what ya'll think.

I thought about using a 1" square tubing for the front and 1 1/2" for the rear and lay it on it's side cut decorative ends (red lines). Bolt it down (green lines) to a reinforcement plate (blue line) under the floor. The seat will bolt to the tubing. I thought about one bolt thru all of it, but for some reason this makes me fill better.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:52 PM   #517
66Z71

Only thing I'd add, is tack nuts to the inside of the tube, and maybe cap it on the ends.
66Z71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:22 PM   #518
joe231

looks like a good solution
Old 02-10-2009, 10:59 PM   #519
Strodder
Daring to be Different

I agree with 66ZZ71, but also weld bolts facing up to bolt the seats to. Try to make it look like chevy did it......or maybe NOT???........LOL
KUSTOM RIDES
FACE BOOK PAGE:

[/COLOR]

Last edited by Strodder; 02-10-2009 at 11:02 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:35 AM   #520
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Z71 View Post
Only thing I'd add, is tack nuts to the inside of the tube, and maybe cap it on the ends.

Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 12:49 AM   #521
Alan's Classic

Thanks for the inputs. I will consider those ideas as I go.

This is what got done tonight. Cut out 8 brackets with the help of sdailey. We used a plasma and cleaned up with a die grinder. Next, the holes have to be drilled. Man, I wish I had a drill press. I'd like to have 2 studs sticking down thru the floor and one going up thru the seat. Then possibly cap the ends.

The bracket looks too small compaired to what you see on the seat, but the actual pad on the seat is about the same size as the bracket. I also decided to run 1 1/2" tubing all the way around since the seat bottom tilts. That will also make the seat level with the floor when viewed from the side.

Then primed the spot that I wasn't happy with on the roof.

Old 02-13-2009, 01:14 AM   #522
4dranch
Shloooooong bed member #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan's Classic View Post
Man, I wish I had a drill press.
Dang Alan, even I got a drill press. look around that big ole shop of yours it's either there or over at Mr.Dailey place.
Your doing a heck of a job on your rig. I really enjoy the reading.

Daughters 66 truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=484601

Learning to drive a 3 on the tree:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcCMvRgBo1Q
4dranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 01:28 AM   #523
Strodder
Daring to be Different

Looks good Allan. Will you brace the underneath the floor with a thick plate where the bolts go through? You can weld nuts on them and bolt the bracket right to it.
KUSTOM RIDES
FACE BOOK PAGE:

[/COLOR]

Old 02-13-2009, 01:29 AM   #524
Strodder
Daring to be Different

Sorry you already said that?
KUSTOM RIDES
FACE BOOK PAGE:

[/COLOR]

Old 02-13-2009, 02:02 AM   #525
protrash64
Resistance is Futile

What about making the riser all one piece from front to rear, pad up any difference in hite, cut your relief and bolt on the ends. Save yourself 2 bolts per rail, too.
STRENGTH/DETERMINATION/MERCILESS/FOREVER
.......posted via stationary device
protrash64 is offline   Reply With Quote