The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-12-2007, 11:50 PM   #501
Rokcrln

Re: LFD's low buck truck build!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
Wanna swap a 52 chevy for SLOW BUILD?!? I'll be heading your way soon.
Tempting but I will need to pass. This truck will get done only so it can be sold to fund (well start to fund ) the Blazer project. I plan to finish it show it a few times and sell it off I love the truck but when I think of what I have instore for teh Blazer it makes this truck look like a P.O.S.

So when and why are you heading this way? How close are you going to get?

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Last edited by Rokcrln; 06-12-2007 at 11:51 PM.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 09:22 PM   #502
texanidiot25
Eat My Rust

Give that truck 2 weeks of driving, and that ecu will have that motor running like a beast. It takes them some time to learn and tune.

How much of a difference would you say the dynomat does for the quietness in the cab? All were doing on my '69 is dropping in some carpet, and thats probally going to be it.
texanidiot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 12:52 AM   #503
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanidiot25 View Post
Give that truck 2 weeks of driving, and that ecu will have that motor running like a beast. It takes them some time to learn and tune.

How much of a difference would you say the dynomat does for the quietness in the cab? All were doing on my '69 is dropping in some carpet, and thats probally going to be it.
Glad to hear that a driving tune should do th ejob!
The Dynomat is night and day differance and I still have the fire wall and doors to do. I will be putting this in every vehical I build for my self and I will push it on customers as well, it is that good.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:18 PM   #504
ElGracho
Gentleman Jim Driver

This thread needs to be in the build forum.
'85 Chev C10 Short Wide - Super plain Vortec 4.8 4L60E trans
also: '81 K30, '83 C30 Crew Dually, '84 M1028 CUCV, '85 M1009 CUCV, another '85 C10 SWB, '89 R3500 Flatbed
ElGracho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 11:49 PM   #505
st1x10

Any updates its been a couple months?
Old 09-01-2007, 09:18 AM   #506
Rokcrln

Well the truck is complete as far as the Low Buck portion goes and now I will be changing things up just a bit. I am parting out one of my other builds and will be using the vett LT1 and 700R4 in Low Buck as well as my (7 yrs in boxes) old Vintage Air kit. The motor what is in their now is a new crate 350 with a turbo 350 trans and it will be going into my 70 2wd Blazer to help get that on the road. I also just had the rear end of Low Buck rebuilt with 3.43's, an Eaton Posi, new axels, seals and bearings. I figure with 360+HP I might need alittle more out back. Plus the old rear end started poping going around turns and just felt sloppy. Turns out it was very sloppy with warn out Axel splines, loose center carrier and a bad pinion bearing as well as 3.08's.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Last edited by Rokcrln; 09-01-2007 at 09:19 AM.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:55 PM   #507
64shortc10

NOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Please tell me your not tearing apart the bodydropped orange truck? I love that truck! Everytime I drive past your house I look over in hope to see that truck layed out in the driveway! Maybe I'll stop by tommorrow to see what the wheels in your head are spinning now. I can only bet what ever you're up to is gonna be even better then before! Later Kevin.

Tony from Norcal
64shortc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 04:02 PM   #508
red69ss
Burnouts are therapeutic

when you shortened bed how did you keep the cut lines on inside of bed lined up with outside?
1972 PONTIAC LEMANS CONVERTIBLE (WIFE'S CAR)

"My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met." - Rodney Dangerfield

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Einstein
red69ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 12:50 AM   #509
evan

Awesome work! I'm eager for updates!
Old 09-28-2007, 09:19 AM   #510
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan View Post
Awesome work! I'm eager for updates!
For curent update for now look at my other thread on this list called Shell Games. I took the truck to work this week and it did about 300 miles round trip per day and worked great. I averaged about 16mpg and 70-85 MPH Ran great now I just need to move the pedals farther away for more leg room.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:07 AM   #511
Rokcrln

It's back! Sorry it has been so long since my last post but I have been all over the place (inmy own head and shop) but it is time to up date and try and finish this thing off.
Last time I left I was sitting at $3936.40 and 110hrs but I think I left a few things out like Dyna mat pricing and the hood mod time. I think the dyna mat was $170 for what is in the cab now and about 4hrs to install with pulling the seat and carpet. The hood hod was free but time was around 30hrs This puts us at 144hrs and just over $4100 so we will start from here
Now I have done a few small things since I last posted but I will leave the time and cost out of the total. Reason is because I swapped out the motor and tranny for one I already had and the one that was in the truck was just fine and did not need to be pulled. I decided to sell Slow Build and did not want to take such a big loss so I pulled my LT1 and custom built 700R4 and swapped them. (But just for info sake I was into the engine and tranny about $8k) and that just reminded me I also put in a Vintage Air set up I had for that truck as well so their adds another $1000 and 12hrs Well their goes my $5000.00 budget but only by the price of paint oh ya and the new seat and belts I put in as well so another $400 and 10 more hours (but well worth it).
Here are some of the threads of what has happened out side this thread but all to the same truck so you all can catch up on your reading

Engine swap, A/C install~http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=256484

Seat install~http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=269662

Pedal mod's~http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=269717

So now I have a few weeks of semi free time so my wife want me to get the truck painted (I think she wants to start driving it but even she has standards) so in the shop it goes. I still plan on going after the look of John Fabris's 67 but a tamed down version with out trim and only a few small body mods. Also I have the 70 grill that is staying as is the 71 front bumper. So it will be a 85mph twin I will start by pulling the the interior but leave the glass, pull the grill, bumpers, trim, lights, handles and bed. Then I will DA down the truck before pulling the windows to keep some of the mess out of the cab. Then when the out side is close to being ready to block I will pull the glass and see what surprises I find. I should be ok because this truck is in really good shape but I always seem to find somthing when I start looking.

Then once the inside is ready I think I will make my fiberglass molds for the rear speaker box and kick panel speaker boxes since I don't want to fiber glass after it is painted. I will just tape off the areas and glass them to get the exact mold of the body so I can then build the enclosure's later down the road with out pulling it all apart again.

Then I will mask off alot of items and start spraying the interior and all the jambs. The plan is to spray the truck all together after the inside and jambs are sprayed. I am not going for a show truck just a clean Driver that will get alot of looks on the road. I have minor body work to do so it should go fast. Just a few extra trim holes and the tree sets of old mirriors that left a few marks as well as the drivers door dent. I think if I can get a solid week end I Can have the out side of the truck (minus bed) ready for primming and blocking, well see. I have started another thread for paint but I think I will keep it al here since this is the wrap up of the Low Buck build. I wonderhow many pages we can get up to Here is a reminder of what Johns truck looks like for anyone who has been under a rock for some time and missed this truck. What this pic does not show are the ghost flames that are on it. I was able to see this truck and chat with John and his wife at a goodGuys show earlier this year and it is a truck to be proud if for sure!

I will be doing mine in a single stage paint with some clear added into it for a better cut and polish job after it is layed down. Also it will be a solid blue and not a matalic like John's truck. Well thaks for following along with this build and I hope to be all finished by the end of the year!

John thaks again for the aproval for me to do a slight copy

Kevin
LFD Inc.
166hrs
$5500.00
Attached Images

Last edited by Rokcrln; 12-13-2007 at 05:10 AM.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:27 PM   #512
Rokcrln

Well I hads afew hours tonight so I started stripping it down. Turns out the front fenders and doors will now be comming off so I can re-build the door hinges and get to the trim nuts to remove. So now I guess it will have a better paint job than I was going to do but still simple. I ordered a few parts from ECE today for the project. I got one of their black powder coated cowl screens and their tailgate handle relocation kit. Theirs does not require a tailgate skin for this mod. Next I will call up LMC and get all new tinted glass and that should be about everything but paint that I need.
Here are a few pics from tonight. Rember 2 hours ago this was complete

Kevin
LFD Inc.
166hrs
$5500.00
Paint hrs 2
Attached Images

Last edited by Rokcrln; 12-15-2007 at 04:40 PM.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:47 PM   #513
texanidiot25
Eat My Rust

Great to see it back!
Old 12-14-2007, 02:49 PM   #514
Rokcrln

Well I called ECE yesterday at 2:15pm and gave them my credit card for the tailgate handle relocator kit and my cowl screen and at 3:00pm today it was in my front living room! Now I just need time to install it. It wont be untill the cab and front end are done because I will be doing the bed last. I hope this week end I will make a good dent in the prep. I have alot of trim holes to weld up and DA work to do.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Last edited by Rokcrln; 12-15-2007 at 01:22 PM.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:21 PM   #515
Boog
laying low

Paint? Well, there goes that "sleeper" look you liked.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 03:27 PM   #516
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
Paint? Well, there goes that "sleeper" look you liked.
I know it was starting to grow on me! But I feel it will still be a sleeper of sorts. I am going for a simple stock but lowered look that will still be housing almost 400hp! Maybe more if I get board

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:06 PM   #517
texanidiot25
Eat My Rust

OH please get bored!

Last edited by texanidiot25; 12-14-2007 at 05:07 PM.
Old 12-15-2007, 04:09 AM   #518
BACKYARD88
On the fast track to nowhere..

Norwood, Houston, Cecilia, Jackson, Monroe and counting
BACKYARD88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 06:04 AM   #519
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln View Post
Well I called ECE yesterday at 2:15pm and gave them my credit card for the tailgate handle relocator kit and my cowl screen and at 3:00pm it was in my front living room!
Kevin
LFD Inc.
Sounds like you can walk to ECE and pick up your parts. Now I have an idea where Winters, California is located.
VDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 07:21 AM   #520
caja_larga

wow!!! great work!!!
caja_larga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 01:25 PM   #521
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDOG View Post
Sounds like you can walk to ECE and pick up your parts. Now I have an idea where Winters, California is located.
Sorry I forgot the word "Today" after 3pm. But still only one day is a great turn around. I know several companys that don't even get parts in stock sent out for a few days!
Winters is 20min away from Sacramento near Vacaville.
Zip 95694 It is a great little town.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 12-15-2007, 02:23 PM   #522
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln View Post
Sorry I forgot the word "Today" after 3pm. But still only one day is a great turn around. I know several companys that don't even get parts in stock sent out for a few days!
Winters is 20min away from Sacramento near Vacaville.
Zip 95694 It is a great little town.
Kevin
LFD Inc.
Oh yeah, I was way off. LOL
VDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 04:48 PM   #523
Rokcrln

Love working in the cold and dark! Well I did about 3hrs tonight and made good progress for the time I spent. I hope to have the drivers door, cab top and back done Friday night as far as DA work goes. Then I will blow it all off and pull it into the shop for the interior work and to pull off the pass fender. I will need to pull the batery and all my relays that are mounted on the pass fender in order to remove it so I thought I would wait till last to make it a push toy for a few weeks. I am into this part now $30.00 for an 80grit roll of 6" DA disks.
So far so good I have not found any bad spots and hope to not find any surprizes! Ya right!

Kevin
LFD Inc.
166hrs main build
$5500.00 main build
5.5 Paint hrs
$30.00 Paint
Attached Images

Last edited by Rokcrln; 12-15-2007 at 04:51 PM.
Old 12-15-2007, 05:25 PM   #524
Rokcrln

I decided I will be running these tail lights and markers so I figure I better run the side trim as well. I think with out the trim it will look to plain and the lights will stand out as odd and not the smooth subtle look I am going for. For trim I have all new 68 side trim I will be using so I still need to fill all the old holes. This is what it looks like! No idea on price because the side markers are not even ready for sale just yet but should be in the next month or so.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Attached Images

Last edited by Rokcrln; 12-15-2007 at 05:25 PM.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:09 PM   #525
Frizzle Fry

So much for the low buck concept huh?
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote