The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-06-2010, 12:14 PM   #526
VA72C10
VA72C10

Re: Project: Recycle

As stated, it looks awesome! If this is "practice"..... I really can't wait to see the 67
Old 12-06-2010, 09:21 PM   #527
likaroc13
Rollin' Old Skool

very nice...that's the same idea i had/have for my wheel & tire plans unless something changes...keep up the nice work!
likaroc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 01:33 AM   #528
SCOTI

Well, I got the rear Bilsteins delivered today so I though I would do a quick trial fit to make sure there were no suprises. Suprise! They need to be modified.

The lower mounting stud on 'generic' shocks is typically separate from the shock. The stud mounts to the frame or bracket & is secured w/a nut. The shock bushing slides over the shaft of the stud & is secured to the stud w/another nut (just like the front shocks).

On Bilsteins, the stud is press-fit into the bushing & is one piece w/the shock. The only way to secure the lower end of the shock is to mount the stud/shock combo in place & tighten the nut from the back of the mount. Not a problem w/standard lower coil spring shock mounts but it IS a problem w/the Porterbuilt lower shock mount as there's very little room to access the nut.

With PB's set-up, you have enough room to put a wrench on the nut to keep it from spinning & you simply tighten the stud from the front side..... It works well when the stud & bushing is 2 pieces.

Sooo..... I cut the stud apart to press it out of the shock eye & bushing. The fit was so tight, it wouldn't press the stud out, it pressed the entire bushing & stud out as a unit. I then had to press the stud out of the bushing.
1st pic.... Bilstein stud vs. generic shock stud
2nd pic... Bilstein stud cut apart to press out of bushing
3rd pic.... Bilstein shock stud & bushing
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 01:46 AM   #529
SCOTI

So I go to try & squeeze the bushing back into the shock eye..... that was like putting a square peg into a round hole. It squished/squirmed one way or the other vs. into the hole. On to Plan B.

Plan B. I figured would just require getting a typical 2pc bushing w/a sleeve (each half of the bushing slips in place from the opposite side of the shock eye & a sleeve is pressed in place). I got all the dimensions from the bushing & shock eye to start my net search. Hhmm.... it seems what I need is not exactly a common size. In fact, nothing seems to be available in a 2pc.

So, now I'm contemplating my options. I might try to freeze the supplied bushings & cut them in half (effectively making my own split bushing); or I did find a 1pc poly bushing from Prothane w/similar dimensions that I could do the same (cut it in half making it a 2pc bushing).

I guess I should know by now, it's never simple....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 12-07-2010, 02:05 AM   #530
watahyahknow

hmmmm use wash up liquid to grease the bushing and clamp the lot intoo a vice with a couple of big ratchet sockets to push the bushing in far enough and tighten , or do the same thing with a piece of treaded rod stuck through the whole setup fitted with some nuts and washers ( this might actually work better )

they put the thing in there before so it should fit

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:52 AM   #531
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by watahyahknow View Post
hmmmm use wash up liquid to grease the bushing and clamp the lot intoo a vice with a couple of big ratchet sockets to push the bushing in far enough and tighten , or do the same thing with a piece of treaded rod stuck through the whole setup fitted with some nuts and washers ( this might actually work better )

they put the thing in there before so it should fit
That's basically how I was attempting to draw the bushing in. The problem was once the 'set-up' was tightened to draw the bushing into place, the bushing expanded making it that mush harder (because of its now larger diameter) to pull into the shock eye.

We have deep freezers @ work. I'm going to try the same process today after freezing the bushings @ -60°.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 12-07-2010, 10:06 AM   #532
my67chevytruck
Under Construction

awesome work Scoti!

subscribe to the board here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=157669
FAQ how to's

1956 Chevy Apache
1967 C10 SWB FleetSide (under construction)
1969 K10 SWB FleetSide (Future Build)
1972 C10 SWB Stepside (Future Build)

56 chevy truck :
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2955823/1

67 truck build:

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=281357/1

69 k10:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=389470
my67chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:28 AM   #533
SCOTI

Freezing the bushings didn't help so last night I cut one in half. That allowed me to get the bushing pressed back into the shock eye but there's no way even a .500" bolt is going to pass through w/o forcing one of the bushing 'halfs' out.

I need to order the mufflers from Summit today so I'll order some poly shock bushings, cut them in half, & use them (the poly bushings have a larger dia bolt hole).

Last night, my buddy Matt stopped by the shop to see the chassis. He said it looked better in person than in the pics so that made me a happy camper.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 12-09-2010, 12:30 PM   #534
SCOTI

I ordered some Prothane (poly) shock bushings & mufflers. Once I get the bushings, I'll cut them up to use in the shocks. I'm just hoping they're not going to be noisy.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 12-09-2010 at 01:18 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:36 PM   #535
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
I ordered some Prothane poly shock bushings & mufflers.
You ordered the bushing mufflers, but forgot the muffler bearings...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:43 PM   #536
67cheby
67cheby

Blinker fluid....dont forget it
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:19 PM   #537
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
You ordered the bushing mufflers, but forgot the muffler bearings...
They came w/the flux capacitor . . .....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 12-10-2010, 05:17 PM   #538
STP67-72

Truck looks great Scoti
68 Chevy swb fleet (Lola)
68 Chevy swb fleet
71 Chevy swb fleet ( future PB project)

97 crew cab power stroke
07 SS Trail blazer
STP67-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:03 PM   #539
SCOTI

Thanks!

Today, I worked on the cab/front clip in anticipation of separating the body from the original chassis.

I needed to get the floor cut to allow clearance for the tranny using a high-hump trans tunnel. I got it cut out & 'marked' for the tunnel fastener holes. Since I was in there working, I removed the clutch pedal (plus the attached push-rod linkage), the remaining firewall insulation, heater assembly, various wires, cables, & e-brake hardware.

I then removed the batt tray, cables, any 'hacked up' front clip wiring, tagged the 'good' wiring, & removed the master cylinder.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 12-10-2010, 10:12 PM   #540
n2billet
Village Idiot....

Go scot go!!!!!

-67 SWB Custom Porterbuilt Front and rear 20/22's Hazel Sold
-71 StepSide Porterbuilt Stage 2 with 20/22's Stella Mae Sold
n2billet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:39 PM   #541
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

I need to get off my duff and catch up on mine...maybe the holidays will do me some good..

Keep it going....

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 12:01 AM   #542
198plus

Nice job on chassis, looks great !!!!!!!!
198plus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:43 PM   #543
n2billet
Village Idiot....

Eleven days.....I know your not sitting on your hands so what's been done?

-67 SWB Custom Porterbuilt Front and rear 20/22's Hazel Sold
-71 StepSide Porterbuilt Stage 2 with 20/22's Stella Mae Sold
n2billet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:18 AM   #544
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2billet View Post
Eleven days.....I know your not sitting on your hands so what's been done?
Unfortunately, not much. Still waiting on the shock bushings. The drivetrain hasn't moved from its spot in the garage. I need enough time to get everything in one location & w/my schedule that means weekend 'days' (Sat one week, Sun the next). But, my weekend guys have taken personal days the last 2 weeks so I covered a Sat for one, Sun for the other.

I've been around the house more so I've been doing small things w/the dually. A much needed brake inspection, some detail cleaning, & then replacing the master cylinder. Then onto cosmetics.... front bumper w/impact strip is gone. Rear hide-away space carrier is gone. 'Urban cowboy' exhaust tips are gone. Today while waiting for the plumbers to arrive @ the house to repair my leaking water main ( line from the meter that supplies the house split), I removed the rear 'work' bumper & swapped the sport bumper in place to determine the hitch requirements.

I still have to get x-mas shopping done too. So progress.... just not on the 64.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 12-22-2010 at 12:19 AM.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:10 AM   #545
71'tahoe

Scoti,
I just read all 109 pages. Very awsome build so far! I dig what you are doing! A few questions. You are running 78-81 Malibu rear shocks and C-10 front shocks? Did you order them through the local parts house? Thanks!

Greg "GT" Tholen
71'tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 07:27 AM   #546
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Quote:
Unfortunately, not much. Still waiting on the shock bushings. The drivetrain hasn't moved from its spot in the garage. I need enough time to get everything in one location & w/my schedule that means weekend 'days' (Sat one week, Sun the next). But, my weekend guys have taken personal days the last 2 weeks so I covered a Sat for one, Sun for the other.

I've been around the house more so I've been doing small things w/the dually. A much needed brake inspection, some detail cleaning, & then replacing the master cylinder. Then onto cosmetics.... front bumper w/impact strip is gone. Rear hide-away space carrier is gone. 'Urban cowboy' exhaust tips are gone. Today while waiting for the plumbers to arrive @ the house to repair my leaking water main ( line from the meter that supplies the house split), I removed the rear 'work' bumper & swapped the sport bumper in place to determine the hitch requirements.

I still have to get x-mas shopping done too. So progress.... just not on the 64.
I wish I'd have known. I just placed a large order from www.TackyUrbanCowboyTruckStuff.com for my truck. On my side of town our necks are much redder than over on the east side where you are.

Last edited by Tx Firefighter; 12-23-2010 at 07:27 AM.
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:52 AM   #547
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71'tahoe View Post
Scoti,
I just read all 109 pages. Very awsome build so far! I dig what you are doing! A few questions. You are running 78-81 Malibu rear shocks and C-10 front shocks? Did you order them through the local parts house? Thanks!

Greg "GT" Tholen
Yes. C-10 fronts & g-body rears. Bilstein does not list a p/n for C-10 rears. Now that Hotchkis has a kit w/'tuned' shocks, a guy might be able to just get some Bilsteins for their C10 that's a direct fit.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 12-23-2010, 09:54 AM   #548
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
I wish I'd have known. I just placed a large order from www.TackyUrbanCowboyTruckStuff.com for my truck. On my side of town our necks are much redder than over on the east side where you are.
Kevin, these are 'patina' so I saved 'em for guys just like you. But, I'm warning you up front.....it's going to be harder for you to sneek up on the sheep!
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 12-23-2010 at 11:04 AM.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:59 AM   #549
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Quote:
Kevin, these are 'patina' so I saved 'em for guys just for you. But, I'm warning you up front.....it's going to be harder for you to sneek up on the sheep!
Velcro gloves should do the trick, I hear.

Just for what it's worth, the Craigslist ad when I bought the dually had is listed as a "Cowboy Cadillac". I think I heard dueling banjos when we went to go pick it up.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:03 AM   #550
watahyahknow

as long as they dont hand you there beercan and start yeliing hey ya'll watch this , you prolly be ok

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote