The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-17-2013, 09:40 AM   #1
Denee007

Thank you Dan!

Good morning Dan! you know, I just read through my entire build~ It's an amazing amount of work, but the most important part to me is the people along the way Wonderful people, cause that's what makes it all worth while! Going to the Nifty50ees and being able to talk with great detail about what I've done, and the person/s listen to me~ like I'm a celebrity! That's what I've found about the people, whether it be on the Mustang forum, this forum, the Suzuki forum, etc. We all have something in common that brings us together~ We are all alike, doesn't matter where one is in the world~these darned old cars n trucks bring peace to the world

Like Orrie's daughter Jen, women get out there and do mechanical stuff too! It's fun! It's challenging! If we don't do something, we will Rust(I forgot who said that on my build)(but that pertains to everyone, we must stay involved and active in something)!

My truck is near about as far as I want to take it in the restomoding,restoration process, except for tying up loose ends, perhaps front suspension may be in the future, but I doubt it. I'm sad cause the restoration part is what's fun! I won't have anything to write about what I've done in a month or so

I cherish the people here and my little group of followers that are always writing, teasing, advice, etc, supporting me along this journey or segment in my life. Well, that about sums it up~ now I'm greatly sad!

Hey, going to get my tires n wheels at 9:30!~!!
Car n Truck enthusiasts forever!
dne'

67 Ford Mustang (re-restored after Harvey)
1968 Jeep Cj5 (2-8-2020 to present)
1992 Jeep Yj (8-17-20 to present) (Jurassic build)

www.Classiccarsandtools.com
Denee007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:40 AM   #2
Dan in Pasadena

Red face Re: Thank you Dan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denee007 View Post
Good morning Dan ....

....My truck is near about as far as I want to take it in the restomoding,restoration process, except for tying up loose ends...

Well, that about sums it up~ now I'm greatly sad!

Hey, going to get my tires n wheels at 9:30!~!!
First, there's NO need to be sad and no need to be absent here. As your tires and wheels comment shows, there's ALWAYS something we want to see or discuss.

Consider us some guys that live around the corner from you who work on trucks, you'd wave at us as you drove by and in our case since a few of us "helped" on some aspect of your truck you might stop by occasionally to check in.

Now lets see those rims & tires which will provoke a whole new discussion.

Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:15 AM   #3
dubie

Re: My '59 Apache

Still anxiously awaiting pics of the new rims and tires

My 56 Chevy shop truck build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562795
dubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:29 PM   #4
Denee007

Here's the lowdown~ I went yesterday morning for my 9:30 appointment to have the tires/wheels installed. 9:30 turned into 10:30, then a large black cloud was coming fast as we've been having crazy thunderstorms here, so I told them I'm not hanging around to have my truck soaked! So I made home just in time when downpour hit!

The next day, I had to go across town to look at something, then on the way back, I was just going to get all the tires/wheels and bring them home. At this time, Gary was with me. Seems like they have a flipflop of people working there and no one seemed to know anything about my tires until they looked them up. A lady installer said, give me 10 minutes~ and I reluctantly said OK, like yeah sure.

30 minutes goes by, and they were packed with customers. Finally a sales guy came in and said one of the Torque thrust wheels was packaged wrongly, a 14" was in a 15" box, and not another one like it was to be found through American Racing! So he got back on the phone and picked out another set of wheels that will take 3 days to get here, with no extra charge to me. So pretty much next week.

I think what bothers me is that they knew I was coming in, I was foolishly thinking they were going to have the tires mounted ready to install, but they weren't! I had also at the same time purchased a full set of tires for our CX9 and 5 tires for my Geo tracker. So 2 full sets of tires, and a set of tires n wheels, about $3k worth of business. Not that I deserve any favors, just courtesy would be nice.

So, that's where I'm at right now, the waiting game. I was so wanting to drive my truck to the Nifty50ee's this upcoming Saturday evening!
But, I did get my new seat belts in, so I can install them maybe tomorrow. I'm babysitting m 5 y/0 grandaughter for a couple days, so nothing gets done!
dne'

Old 07-18-2013, 03:44 PM   #5
Daze57

d;ne

are you using a shoulder harness belts or just lap belts ?
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:18 PM   #6
Denee007

Daze, I've done the shoulder harness I have the shoulder harness setup from the Tahoe I got my seat out of, but I can't get them to work very well, difficult to pull out, or finicky to pull out, plus they're not long enough for my husband! lol

Hey Tim, I was a little frustrated, but I got over it. We have to have patience on these old trucks, and stuff in life, I was probably ranting a bit, but I did through them a curve with different front and rear wheel lug patterns. I have plenty to do still!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daze57 View Post
d;ne

are you using a shoulder harness belts or just lap belts ?

Old 07-18-2013, 03:48 PM   #7
dubie

It just goes to show that customer satisfaction is indeed a dying practice. I feel for you lady, it must have been disappointing. But in the end, if these wheels are what you want, it'll be worth the wait. Thanks for the update

My 56 Chevy shop truck build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562795
dubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:56 PM   #8
_Ogre

you should have kicked some ass and had a sit down with the manager

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:37 PM   #9
Daze57

d;ne

stupid ? but did you try wd-40 in the harness mechanism?
Old 07-18-2013, 09:49 PM   #10
Denee007

Daze, I took one apart(partially), amazing how these things even work! It's not rusty by any means. When I go to pull it out, like when pulling it over and across my body, it catches so easily, and I can coax it inch by inch, then it takes forever to get it all the way out. I have my new ones here, and they're much longer and I shouldn't have a problem(I hope!). I hope to install them tomorrow and take my 5 y/0 grandaughter for a ride around the neighborhood~ the simple things in life!

Ogre, yes I should have sat down with the manager, but when I see those people working as hard at they do, and working in this heat, I felt I didn't have an argument. I've waited longer for parts in general, so what's another few days at this point.
dne'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daze57 View Post
d;ne

stupid ? but did you try wd-40 in the harness mechanism?

Old 07-18-2013, 10:46 PM   #11
JR25

Quote:
Daze, I took one apart(partially), amazing how these things even work! It's not rusty by any means. When I go to pull it out, like when pulling it over and across my body, it catches so easily, and I can coax it inch by inch, then it takes forever to get it all the way out.
OEM seat belts can be EXTREEMLEY aggrovating. The auot rewinder MUST be level, or should I say oriented in the same direction that they came out of the donor vehicle. Its a safety thing so that in the event of your truck being anything but on all four tires, it will lock. Also, if you take it apart, THEY, whoever THEY are, say that the auto lock or tensioner will not function properly! Right after I took the belts out of the dodge ram that I got my seats from, I couldnt pull ANY of the belt out. I was sure I had ruined them by letting too much belt retract back in. I happened to hold it the right way up, and voila, they worked again! I noticed that if it wasnt exactly like they were originally mounted, they acted the way you described above!

Keep rocking on this truck! You CANT be done! Tear something off and do it a little different! Better yet, start another one!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
JR25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:59 PM   #12
bobinbc

Don't go Dne'

I for one have greatly enjoyed reading your posts and watching the progress of yuor truck. You have got right down to it and got it done while some of us have been sittin' idle. I really admire the way you have been able to work around the problem with your back, something I can totally identify with. (You were probably the biggest influence in me purchasing my cherry picker which has been indispensible) Just because you are getting closer to the finish line doesn't mean you won't have things to post about, I would enjoy hearing and seeing about places you go with your truck too. Remember it's not just about the truck, but the people too.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cana...geChevyTrucks/
bobinbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:56 AM   #13
Russell Ashley

D'ne, your wheel story reminded me of my experience when I was converting my last truck to 4X4. I ordered wheels at a local tire store with the promise of having them in 4-5 days. About the same time I bought tires from a different vendor. It wound up being almost a month before the wheels finally showed up due to shipping mistakes and other reasons, but not caused by the local dealer. I was very patient and never got mad, but didn't tell the dealer that my truck wasn't together yet so couldn't be driven anyway. When the wheels finally showed up they mounted and balanced my tires for free because I had been so patient with them. These were 32/12:50:15 truck tires on 10 inch wheels. I was expecting to pay about $20 per wheel for balancing and mounting but being nice saved me money in this case. Patience usually pays off but getting mad seldom does.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:29 PM   #14
OrrieG

I know you are nice person, and they were busy, but I still think they need to know that they need to clearly communicate their process (we won't mount and balance until you show up) so you know what to expect. OR they need to listen carefully to your expectations (I will call and let you know when I am coming so you can have them ready). If no one lets them know they have a problem, they assume they are doing fine. It is not getting someone in trouble, it is letting management know they may be overworked or need more counseling in communication skills.

And do stay around a tell us of your adventurers in the truck. Your detailed thread has saved lots of people time and money and your input based on the experience will be valuable.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #15
Daze57

''Patience usually pays off but getting mad seldom does.''

also ''patience is a virtue untill people make it a science''

from the movie ''flight of the phoenix '' -1966 version - not the 2004
Old 07-21-2013, 11:21 AM   #16
Denee007

Sorry for not posting sooner, my daughter and two grandchildren are here, I'm pretty much entertainer, cook, cleaning lady right now! lol but I have a second while everyone is still in the daze from sleeping.

JR25, you know this is true, as I will eventually tear something off, like the suspension, say in a few months? sooner or later kind of thing?
Keep rocking on this truck! You CANT be done! Tear something off and do it a little different! Better yet, start another one!!!

Bob, I tried to make it interesting, fun, and I do appreciate your really nice comment! I've made progress mainly because I'm retired and have time to work, most of you work, and I know how fru
I for one have greatly enjoyed reading your posts and watching the progress of yuor truck. You have got right down to it and got it done while some of us have been sittin' idle. I really admire the way you have been able to work around the problem with your back, something I can totally identify with. (You were probably the biggest influence in me purchasing my cherry picker which has been indespensible) Just because you are getting closer to the finish line doesn't mean you won't have things to post about, I would enjoy hearing and seeing about places you go with your truck too. Remember it's not just about the truck, but the people too.

I did buy a new project yesterday~! Want to know what it is?

Old 07-21-2013, 01:28 PM   #17
bobinbc

Quote:
I did buy a new project yesterday~! Want to know what it is?
I'm curious, remember we ned pics!

About your wheels, if you want a specific wheel from American Racing, there are other sources for the one missing wheel. Summit and Jegs carry a large stock of American Torque Thrust wheels and ship them very fast.

By the way did you know "American Racing Wheels" are made in China? I was pretty surprised when I bought a set, nice wheel though.

Old 07-21-2013, 01:47 PM   #18
Denee007

Yes Bob, when I was at discount tires, just about every box there said Made in China! depressing!

When I was at the nifty50ee's, someone had a little sports car, and I felt compelled to buy one as a project!! The pics show the little car at my moms. I'm trying to make some room here at our home!

It's a 71 Triumph TR6! It shouldn't take too long. I like it cause the body can come off, like the trucks here(except mine). I"ll just take it apart, fix stuff, have Herb go through the engine, paint it, drive it! not necessarily in that order! lol Oh, I will installed aftermarket AC!

Old 07-21-2013, 02:46 PM   #19
av8tr33337

A buddy of mine in high school had a Triumph TR6. I can't remember the year. I almost bought it from him but my Dad wouldn’t let me. He wanted 2k for it in 1980. We live in Kansas so he had a removable hard top he put on it in the winter. Very fun to ride in. Those a long with MG's are notorious for electrical problems. My buddies kept blowing fuses. That’s why my Dad wouldn't let me buy it. Was probably just a bare wire somewhere and an easy fix.

My Wife has a 79 MGB (Yellow). It ALWAYS had electrical issues with the fuel system. She quit driving it in about 1984 and it's been sitting in the garage ever since. Oh yeah it had other electrical issues as well. The previous owner actually wired up the 2 headlights to 2 separate toggle switches. I always supposed that was so he would always hopefully have one that would work. LOL

We keep talking about getting rid of it. She actually brought it up the last time. It needs a new top now and the tires are rotten. Interior needs some help. But she's had in longer than she's had me so I'm not going to push the issue. I might get the boot instead.

This isn't the actual car but this is what it looked like when we got married 27 yrs ago.

Bartman's Ad-S10 Chassis Swap
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415418

My First Youtube Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6hSt...eature=channel

More Pics of the 51 Project
http://s668.photobucket.com/albums/v...hassis%20Swap/

1951 3100 Pickup
av8tr33337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:06 PM   #20
Russell Ashley

My wife also had a yellow 79 MGB and that had to be the worst car we have ever had. We sold it a long time ago and were happy to see it go. At least when it wasn't broke down it was a fun car to drive.

D'ne, those British cars are usually dependable mechanically but notorious for electrical problems. Fun to own as a hobby car though.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:07 PM   #21
bobinbc

That TR6 looks very clean, nice seats. Are you sure you want to tear it down? Looks like it would be fun as is. A small block chevy fits in pretty easy, I put one in a TR4, same chassis...

Old 07-21-2013, 07:10 PM   #22
OrrieG

My first car passion was the MG-TC, thanks to a book called "The Red Car", still would like to have one. Carrol Shelby had the right idea, drop in a Ford 289 or 302. I saw online were guys were putting in SBC too, but from looking at the 289 on the stand in my garage I think the ford would be an easier fit. And you already are familar with the package from you Mustang.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:20 PM   #23
Denee007

Thanks so much for the positive replies! a sbf? I could probably do that for less than overhauling the existing engine and know how to work on it would be a plus! Be kind of like a Cobra, small and light. I'll have to look into it, at least for educational purposes! I wonder if "they" change out the rear axle as well? or do they keep the transaxle or whatever it is.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:38 PM   #24
bobinbc

289 or 302 would be easier imho but do your research on water pump and pulleys if you are going to add a/c.

When I put the sbc into the TR4 we used a narrowed mustang rear axle. Also I made it an auto because there was not a lot of room for 3 pedals and linkage.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:45 PM   #25
Denee007

Maybe I'd just better stick with the original equipment eh? The site that I'm on for the TR~ 6-pack.org are die hards when it comes to their TR's! I had enough fun putting a V8 in my 59 apache! lol Right now I'm learning about the rear axle bearing, which can be a pain if let go, which I think one or both on this TR is/are not good judging by the growl when heading down the road at about 40mph Nothing we can't handle right? Ya'll helped me out on my truck, the other site will see me through as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinbc View Post
289 or 302 would be easier imho but do your research on water pump and pulleys if you are going to add a/c.

When I put the sbc into the TR4 we used a narrowed mustang rear axle. Also I made it an auto because there was not a lot of room for 3 pedals and linkage.