The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-31-2013, 11:29 PM   #526
Root2812

Re: 51 Chevy 1/2 ton, My S10 swap

You sure have come a long way. I hope to see you at some shows yet this year.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:34 PM   #527
Atommik

I built and mostly installed the exhaust today. I didn't want to spend to much on pre bent tubing so I bought only 3 elbows. ($40 for a 10 foot long straight tube, $25 for a 1 foot long 45 degree elbow.)The other "gradual" bends I made by cutting a wedge shape out of the tubing then putting a slight angle in the tube, then welding it up. It's fitting up very well.

I've got some aluminum heat shields out of a BMW that I am planning to use on the bottom of the cab and next to the battery since the muffler runs close to the battery. I'll take and post some pics early this week when I finish the exhaust.

I also got the cooling system all connected. I'm waiting to get the exhaust hooked up before I let the engine run long enough to test the cooling system.
Atommik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:22 PM   #528
51Charlotte

just read through this entire thread. It's an inspiration to the rest of us poor lugs starting out.
I wish I had half your talents. Well done
51Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:13 PM   #529
s.garzajr

Lets see if this works this is my 51 project
Posted via Mobile Device
s.garzajr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:17 PM   #530
s.garzajr

Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2013, 10:21 PM   #531
s.garzajr

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.garzajr View Post
Lets see if this works this is my 51 project
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Last edited by s.garzajr; 06-02-2013 at 10:23 PM. Reason: tried to flip image
Old 06-04-2013, 09:32 PM   #532
Atommik

Well, some interesting problems came up. My electric fuel pump I installed in line, quit working. There's power to the pump and the ground is good. I guess I'll need to get another...If that fails, I think I'll notch the frame rail in front and reinstall the mechanical pump on the motor!

Also, my xenon headlights are acting up. When I first hooked everything up, they both worked, later only one worked, but there was power to the connector, now neither headlight works and there is no power to the connecters. I may have fried the headlamp switch. I've got some more digging to do to get this figured out. It's always something!!
Old 06-04-2013, 09:41 PM   #533
mknittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.garzajr View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
That's the way my day went. upside down

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:44 PM   #534
mknittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atommik View Post
Well, some interesting problems came up. My electric fuel pump I installed in line, quit working. There's power to the pump and the ground is good. I guess I'll need to get another...If that fails, I think I'll notch the frame rail in front and reinstall the mechanical pump on the motor!

Also, my xenon headlights are acting up. When I first hooked everything up, they both worked, later only one worked, but there was power to the connector, now neither headlight works and there is no power to the connecters. I may have fried the headlamp switch. I've got some more digging to do to get this figured out. It's always something!!
I haven't had much luck with electric fuel pumps. seems like There is always something jamming the piston.

My GMC build.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:01 AM   #535
99 to Life

oh yeah its def 10 things wrong to 1 thing right, just gotta roll through the punches. Those headlight switches should have a 20 amp circuit breaker in them, aftermarket ones atleast. I know I had to run relays in just basic bulbs, I then had to install a relay and now no headlights randomly going off, I also got the brighter bulbs now. Good luck you'll get there. Electric fuel pumps, OMG just more riff raff to deal with, keep it simple and go mechanical, so much easier to change and cheap, your not going to need some high flowing pump, so why add more things that "will" go wrong. Epumps seem to always give people guff.

49Hardtimes s/10 susp- bagged, vortec sbc, 5 speed, patina, sold
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=594874
VIDEOS https://youtu.be/E8zHhjgS_lA
https://youtu.be/E8zHhjgS_lA

Geronimo 54' LS engine, static drop IFS, Client build, just about done
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...62#post7399162

52' 3100 Slowly in progress, will be painted two toned, have 235 with a t-5, lowered OG frame

Other projects, 49' farmuse 3100, killer Patina, will be slammed, LS engine, full done interior up next!

www.coffeeandcustoms.com
99 to Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:28 AM   #536
Atommik

Well I "figured out" the problem on my head lights. After looking over the switch wiring diagram, I remembered that the power out to the headlights runs through the dimmer switch. Since I converted to xenon lights I don't have any high beams. I apparently had bumped the dimmer lever on my column to "high" therefore the power was going nowhere!! Click back to low beam....now I have headlights! DUH!! I may re wire so that both high and low positions will still send power to the lights, just to avoid confusion later.

When xenon lights first came out for BMW, the low was xenon and high was an addition standard halogen bulb, with the xenon still on. A few years later they switched to a BI-xenon. It basically partially blocks the light on low bean, then on high, a "flapper" door opens and lets the beam shine unobstructed. So if I powered the flapper with the high beam wire, the flapper would move, but the beam would be unpowered.Most headlight switches available now switch power from low to high, not powering the beam not being used. Anyway...probably more info than most of you care to know!!

As far as the fuel pump, I guess I'll just buy another and try my luck!!
Old 06-08-2013, 11:21 AM   #537
Atommik

Found a brand new 1999 chevy truck bench seat, gray, on craigslist. More $ than I wanted to spend, but it will not need re-upholstering. It really is like new. It was removed and replaced with bucket seats when the truck was new. Stored inside and covered. I've been holding off on choosing an interior color, depending on what seat I found. Gray interior it is!!
Attached Images

Old 06-09-2013, 02:41 AM   #538
Daze57

that is a really nice lookin seat ya got there !!!!!!!!!! CONGRATS - GREAT FIND
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:45 AM   #539
mknittle

Quote:
Well I "figured out" the problem on my head lights. After looking over the switch wiring diagram, I remembered that the power out to the headlights runs through the dimmer switch. Since I converted to xenon lights I don't have any high beams. I apparently had bumped the dimmer lever on my column to "high" therefore the power was going nowhere!! Click back to low beam....now I have headlights! DUH!! I may re wire so that both high and low positions will still send power to the lights, just to avoid confusion later.

When xenon lights first came out for BMW, the low was xenon and high was an addition standard halogen bulb, with the xenon still on. A few years later they switched to a BI-xenon. It basically partially blocks the light on low bean, then on high, a "flapper" door opens and lets the beam shine unobstructed. So if I powered the flapper with the high beam wire, the flapper would move, but the beam would be unpowered.Most headlight switches available now switch power from low to high, not powering the beam not being used. Anyway...probably more info than most of you care to know!!

As far as the fuel pump, I guess I'll just buy another and try my luck!!
At least one was an easy fix. Interesting about the xenon lights.

My GMC build.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:52 AM   #540
mknittle

Quote:
Found a brand new 1999 chevy truck bench seat, gray, on craigslist. More $ than I wanted to spend, but it will not need re-upholstering. It really is like new. It was removed and replaced with bucket seats when the truck was new. Stored inside and covered. I've been holding off on choosing an interior color, depending on what seat I found. Gray interior it is!!
Grey is a good color that goes well with pretty much any paint color. That's the color I out started with. Now it's the color of the week.

My GMC build.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:04 PM   #541
Atommik

I didn't have much truck time this weekend but I got a little done.

Exhaust is done back to the muffler. I added some aluminum heat shields where it ran a little close to the cab floor. Also put a heat shield around the battery near the muffler.

I installed the front wheel spacers.

I was going to replace the electric fuel pump, but I couldn't find the new pump I bought after work on Friday. I stopped at the parts store to make sure I didn't forget it there when I left with some other parts in my hands. Well I came to the conclusion that it was stolen out my suburban while it sat in my driveway. We live in a good neighborhood but once in a while some riff-raff come through looking for something easy to steal. I mostly leave my sub unlocked and leave nothing of value in it. I don't want to replace a broken window if they break in and find nothing worthwhile to steal. I guess I'll be locking it up from now on...lesson learned the hard way!!
Attached Images

Old 06-09-2013, 11:22 PM   #542
99 to Life

ahhh man, should just go with a mechanical $30 pump, you sure it didn't fall off under the seat or something?? can't stand thieves makes me more upset than most anything. exhaust looks good. seat looks good, you could always get a serape blanket to cover it if you aren't wanting the grey.

49Hardtimes s/10 susp- bagged, vortec sbc, 5 speed, patina, sold
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=594874
VIDEOS https://youtu.be/E8zHhjgS_lA
https://youtu.be/E8zHhjgS_lA

Geronimo 54' LS engine, static drop IFS, Client build, just about done
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...62#post7399162

52' 3100 Slowly in progress, will be painted two toned, have 235 with a t-5, lowered OG frame

Other projects, 49' farmuse 3100, killer Patina, will be slammed, LS engine, full done interior up next!

www.coffeeandcustoms.com
99 to Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:07 AM   #543
Jyman

The Exhaust looks great.
If you don't like the grey seat and if you cant find a nice looking blanket you could always try the fabric spray paint, from what I have seen it look good and comes in a bunch of colors.

2000 Chevy Extreme lowrider, 4.3, NV3500, 3.08 rear, upgraded/modded

2001 GMC Sonoma Zr2, 4.3, NV3500, Stock
Jyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:55 PM   #544
Atommik

I picked up my windshield on Saturday. I found a place not too far away that would cut it for me. I gave them one of the original pieces to use as a template. Turned out really nice. Ordered a windshield gasket today. Hope to install it this weekend. Cost of glass was $110 for both pieces. Seemed reasonable.

Also ordered a "Painless" kit for the cooling fan switch.

Anyone ever see and/or try the little "spring" metal piece that goes over the moving latch piece on the door latch. They say it's supposed to help worn latches stay latched tighter. We'll see. They were only $3 a piece. Thought they were worth a try. I will eventually put in "dead bolt" style locks...

Set the new seat in place, (not bolted yet). Fits perfect! Figured out where I need to put the gas pedal. Wish there was a little more leg room, but at least my gut doesn't rub on the steering wheel!! Maybe next build will be a panel or sub, then there would be lots of room!!
Old 06-12-2013, 01:28 AM   #545
51Charlotte

Yeah, I'm curious about the whole "gut rub" thing myself when I get to that point. I may have to bolt up a picnic table in the bed of her.
Posted via Mobile Device
51Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:11 PM   #546
Atommik

Accomplished a fair amount today. I put the seat in the cab. Fits nice, looks nice. Not bolted down yet. I've got some other things to do before I bolt it down.

I was trying to use the original mechanical gauges with the 327. The 327 was set up with electrical senders for the temp and oil pressure. I got all the necessary senders and fittings to swap them to mechanical senders. However, the copper tube that goes from the temp gauge to the sender is too short. I don't know of anyway to extend it so I bought a set of aftermarket gauges, thinking I'd just use the electric senders with the new gauges. Well, the new gauges are mechanical!! So I swapped the senders back and hooked up the gauges, and mounted them under the dash. I'll put the original gauges in place and I'll use the fuel gauge in that cluster that I've already converted to work with the S10 tank. The sender and wire for the temp gauge is kind of close to the header on the drivers side so I made a little heat shield for it.

I installed a new electric fuel pump and now my truck is running once again!! I topped of the trans fluid and bled the brakes and for the first time in probably 30 or so years, it moved without being pushed!! I still don't have the cooling fan installed so I only ran it for a few minutes at a time. I plan to get the fan going on Monday and take it around the shop for it's first real drive!!!
Attached Images

Old 06-15-2013, 08:44 PM   #547
Rods57

Seat looks great in there, good color with your truck.
Rods57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:46 AM   #548
Atommik

Happy Father's Day to all!! Just thought I would post my 13 and 17 year old daughter's versions of my truck. Nothing's better than homemade cards!!
Attached Images

Old 06-16-2013, 01:30 PM   #549
Daze57

great cards !!!!!
truck is looking awsome !
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:21 PM   #550
LOW A D

Nice truck! I'm just starting on my own '51, enjoyed your build. Will you have your truck ready for Back to 50's next weekend? That is one show I try to get to every year, would like to see your truck if you are there.
Posted via Mobile Device
LOW A D is offline   Reply With Quote