The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-10-2013, 10:39 PM   #526
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Re: The Hillbilly Deluxe dually build

Still waiting on parts fellas.

This bad weather shut down UPS and Postal Service deliveries. Should be seeing some of my stuff tomorrow. Then I'll get the fuel filler situation figured out.

Out of boredom I've been picking up some various tools on eBay. I need to put the iPad down and get back out into the shop to save some money. I'm a tool geek and have been buying a few specific MAC tools I wanted and some Martin body hammers. Nothing new of course. Only "seasoned vintage" stuff.

Patience...
Old 12-11-2013, 12:07 PM   #527
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

Kevin - tools are like these old trucks, they too can become an addiction...

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:58 PM   #528
Tx Firefighter

Karl,

I can't really justify my whims on particular tools. I've had a very nice set of SnapOn wrenches for 22 years now. I fixed a ton of cars and made a lot of money with them. But, a few years ago, I came up with a MAC 9/16 wrench somewhere. I don't even remember where. Found it in an old truck or something. Every since then, when I need a 9/16 wrench, I skip right over the rack of matching SnapOns and grap that lone MAC wrench. So, I've started to accumulate an entire set. They're just eBay singles that I pick up for 5 or 10 dollars every so often. They've always got some various blemish on them somewhere. I sure like them a ton better than the 500 dollar set of SnapOns.

Today, I went to the Post Office in person to find my missing stuff. It's very icy here and the mail lady has only been delivering stuff that will fit in the mailbox at the end of my driveway. She doesn't venture up icy driveways to deliver bigger packages. I don't blame her, its treacherous here and I wouldn't spend my entire day white knuckling up icy driveways either. So, there's literally large bins of packages accumulating at the Post Office. I got a nice lady down there that likes me who was nice enough to spend 20 minutes digging out my boxes.

Ford gas filler bezel from eBay. I got three of them in one auction that are various configurations.

Make template for the hole I need to cut...

Used my electric torch to slice the old filler out and make way for the new. Yes I went all safety minded and covered over the filler hose on the tank so the plasma sparks didn't do something that caused me to make the local news.

Test fit. Looks good so far. I need to make an addition below the bed side to finish out the opening. I'm working on that now.

Notice there's still ice on everything and I'm wearing gloves. I sure wish this crap would thaw off. There's a reason I live in Texas and not someplace "up north" where this is normal weather.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:31 PM   #529
Tx Firefighter

I took some 1/8 inch plate and cut an extension to complete the opening then welded it to the bed.

Masked and sanded...

Then got out the heat gun and my finest can of Rustoleum rattle can. Using the heat gun, I was able to set and cure the paint enough that I think it will be okay with the low temperature. They way the truck is sitting the sun will be shining on it all day.

I'll let it sit until Friday before I mount the bezel and filler neck and drill the holes to secure it.

I have a large UPS delivery of parts that I need to finish this phase of the project that is stuck in UPS purgatory in Mesquite Texas. They shut down all operations for four days so there is apparently a huge backlog of stuff waiting to be delivered. Maybe tomorrow.

Now, I need help here. This is the hard line for the fuel filler vent tube. Its 5/8 of an inch O.D. Where can I buy a stick about 3 feet long of replacement hard line ? Is there some conduit or something that is a similar size ? I want to run a hard line parallel to the main filler line with little sections of hose connecting it to the filler neck and gas tank.

Anyone ?
Old 12-11-2013, 06:55 PM   #530
aggie91

Do you have a hydraulic hose store like a Parker Store close to you? All the local shops here carry 5/8" steel hydraulic line in stock and will cut and bend to your drawing if needed. I beleive Stuart Hose & Pipe has a store in Ft. Worth and so does Midwest Hose & Specialty. They should have what you need.

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)

The LST Challenge:

Old 12-11-2013, 07:05 PM   #531
Tx Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie91 View Post
Do you have a hydraulic hose store like a Parker Store close to you? All the local shops here carry 5/8" steel hydraulic line in stock and will cut and bend to your drawing if needed. I beleive Stuart Hose & Pipe has a store in Ft. Worth and so does Midwest Hose & Specialty. They should have what you need.
That's a good lead. I use a little hydraulic shop down in Fort Worth called Kim's International. I guess I could ask them. I don't really have a slick way of putting a nice smooth 90 degree bend in a 5/8" line anyway so I might need to call in the professionals.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:30 PM   #532
Tx Firefighter

I think I'm gonna pop rivet the fuel filler to the bedside. I'm shooting for the finished product to be smooth and not something I'll snag on when working beside the truck with tie down straps or fuel up or whatever.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:55 PM   #533
83GMCK2500

Oh crap, I just noticed there is a script oval visible on that fuel pocket. Any chance you can do a little sanding/filling on that? Looking good, glad the weather is tolerable enough for you to do some tinkering. You know some pan head or dome head allen bolts in stainless would look nice around there.

1983 GMC High Sierra 2500, 4x4, RC/LB, 400 S.B., SM-465, NP-208, Corporate 10 bolt & 9.5" 14 bolt
1996 GMC Sierra SLE 3500 DRW, 4x4, EC/LB, Vortec 454, NV-4500, BW-4401, AAM 925 & AAM 1050
1997 GMC Sierra SLT 1500 4x4, Z71/F44, EC/SB, Vortec 350

My Introduction with my '83s History
New Daily, the '96
83GMCK2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:49 AM   #534
Stoney
Farm Truck

Looks awesome, going to leave the Ford logo? I agree with the stainless bolt idea. Would look nice.

Mike
Jersey Village, Tx

Last edited by Stoney; 12-12-2013 at 02:57 AM.
Stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:12 AM   #535
Tx Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83GMCK2500 View Post
Oh crap, I just noticed there is a script oval visible on that fuel pocket. Any chance you can do a little sanding/filling on that? Looking good, glad the weather is tolerable enough for you to do some tinkering. You know some pan head or dome head allen bolts in stainless would look nice around there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
Looks awesome, going to leave the Ford logo? I agree with the stainless bolt idea. Would look nice.
Sounds like two guys trying to politely say "rivets will look cheesy. Go with screws". Am I right ? I want honest opinions.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:26 AM   #536
rusty76

At least pop rivets won't let loose. And will be less of a hassle too. Stainless steel screws will look nice though.
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
rusty76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:26 AM   #537
Low Elco

You could also put a 3/4" inch stitch weld on each corner. Your rivets won't come loose that way! Good lookin' work!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:47 AM   #538
Stoney
Farm Truck

I just don't think the rivets would hold up over time.

Mike
Jersey Village, Tx

Last edited by Stoney; 12-12-2013 at 10:03 AM.
Stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:59 AM   #539
SCOTI

^^ x2.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:11 AM   #540
Tx Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
You could also put a 3/4" inch stitch weld on each corner. Your rivets won't come loose that way! Good lookin' work!
I was surprised to find these are fiberglass pieces. Judging by the ebay pictures, I figured they'd be steel. I have to use screws or rivets or duct tape or bubble gum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
I just don't think the rivets would hold up over time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
^^ x2.
I appreciate the opinions fellas. I'm off to McMaster Carr to find some nice stuff. I can't buy it local as cheap as I can mail order bulk stuff from them. And, I end up with a lot of leftovers for my bolt bins.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:36 AM   #541
Tx Firefighter

Stainless steel button head screws, Stainless lock nuts, and Stainless washers ordered from McMaster Carr. I got 100 of each for about what I'd have paid for 10 each at my local place.

These are the screws I got. Built in flange washer to keep from digging into the fiberglass bezel.

Here is where all of my fuel filler parts stand. Been waiting for a long time for UPS to get it delivered.

Last edited by Tx Firefighter; 12-12-2013 at 10:42 AM.
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:21 AM   #542
Low Elco

I like the screws. Don't forget the Anti-sieze! IDK how many hundred of those fuel cups I've riveted on, I worked for Knapheide building industrial trucks 1991-1994.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:46 AM   #543
Tx Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
I like the screws. Don't forget the Anti-sieze! IDK how many hundred of those fuel cups I've riveted on, I worked for Knapheide building industrial trucks 1991-1994.
I'm researching now about bonding straps for the filler neck. I seem to remember that when the filler tube is isolated from body ground like it is with this fiberglass bezel, a bonding strap is required.

Any input ?
Old 12-12-2013, 12:12 PM   #544
MalibuSSwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
I'm researching now about bonding straps for the filler neck. I seem to remember that when the filler tube is isolated from body ground like it is with this fiberglass bezel, a bonding strap is required.

Any input ?
I would do it. The stock filler neck on my 86 has a ground strap to the bed, since the filler cup is plastic.
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:39 PM   #545
aggie91

Quote:

Any input ?
on my '98 it had one from the factory since the bezel was plastic that mounted the neck to the bed side. Required or not, it makes good sense to put on. A few dollars today vs, huge dollars later if something were to happen. Accidents do happen...

I would put one on.

The LST Challenge:

Old 12-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #546
83GMCK2500

Quote:
Sounds like two guys trying to politely say "rivets will look cheesy. Go with screws". Am I right ? I want honest opinions.
Honestly, I think rivets will work just fine, just about every service bed I've seen has that pocket held in with rivets. I just didn't think that the rivet idea went with your level of attention to detail. You wet-sanded wheels for how long? Had how many fasteners coated?

1983 GMC High Sierra 2500, 4x4, RC/LB, 400 S.B., SM-465, NP-208, Corporate 10 bolt & 9.5" 14 bolt
1996 GMC Sierra SLE 3500 DRW, 4x4, EC/LB, Vortec 454, NV-4500, BW-4401, AAM 925 & AAM 1050

New Daily, the '96
Old 12-12-2013, 01:31 PM   #547
Tx Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83GMCK2500 View Post
Honestly, I think rivets will work just fine, just about every service bed I've seen has that pocket held in with rivets. I just didn't think that the rivet idea went with your level of attention to detail. You wet-sanded wheels for how long? Had how many fasteners coated?
Point well taken. No reason to cut corners now. I haven't so far. I wanted this truck for 20 years and now that I have it, I'm not gonna sell it, might as well go all the way on every step. Nice stainless hardware is on the way.

By the way, thank you for the advice via PM on the K2500. I wound up not buying the truck. I'm playing the silent game now to see if he lowers his price to a level I'm more comfortable with. The engine is pretty tired and I'm wanting the price to reflect that more.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:17 PM   #548
ryanroo

I'm going to agree on the screws. i don't like rivets. They just look to quick n' easy. being a bit of a masochist, i like to use countersunk hardware when it is reasonable. i just ordered 8) 1/2"x 4 1/2" stainless countersunk allen head bolts today at the tune of 7 bucks a shot for my rear bumper. silliness. i also prefer flange head bolts for most stuff so i end up ordering them a lot. i like to have a box of 3/8"-16 black oxide flange heads around for diff covers. new bolts always make a diff cover look better.

We have a pretty darn good fastener joint that comes to the shop twice a week. they can order most anything i can dream up, but if they dont have it, Mcmaster always seems to. that catalog really gets my wheels turning...

ryanroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:23 PM   #549
83GMCK2500

I forget that McMaster-Carr exists...I grew up with Fastenal & a few years ago was introduced to Tacoma Screw.

Kevin, I was a starting to wonder about that K2500. Sounds like you are on the right track, if you looked at it and it's tired then the owner should come down to something reasonable.

New Daily, the '96

Last edited by 83GMCK2500; 12-12-2013 at 09:31 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:34 PM   #550
ryanroo

Tacoma Screw looks like a sweet place to hunt down some hardware and other fun stuff. We have a Fastenal local to me but they went ahead and made me mad. now they can suffer the nearly non existent loss of my business. I really wanted to spend my money there and they were about the worst CS ever. Sad too. The previous manager was amazing and would bend over backwards to help you.

ryanroo is offline   Reply With Quote