The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-17-2016, 06:03 PM   #551
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Re: HG's thread of miscelaneous stuff

Very nice! Is that guy selling that guy with the VW stuff selling the 69 Camaro? Congrats on the upgrade in your job! Are you doing any of the power tour this year?
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 09:36 PM   #552
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Very nice! Is that guy selling that guy with the VW stuff selling the 69 Camaro? Congrats on the upgrade in your job! Are you doing any of the power tour this year?
He will sell stuff but probably not the camaro. Thanks. I'm not doing power tour this year. Even if I wanted to, I can't. There is a work meeting I have to attend that week. I'm thinking about a western trip this year, but haven't been able to set up anything with the position I've been in for work. So, we'll see how it goes. My truck is ready to go whenever.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 09:44 AM   #553
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

This was at the enchanted highway, which is a road that crosses I-94 in ND west of Bismarck. About an hour drive east of MT. The driveway up there is lined with little bird sculptures, sorry about the variety of bugs on the windshield...

At the top you are near one of the worlds largest sculptures...

Story here... http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2155

In mid May the car club in Willmar, MN has their annual car show. I've gone every year for about a decade. Not so much because it's a great show or anything, but I had a boiler inspection scheduled in that town on that weekend every year. This was the first time I went and didn't have the inspection to do (I don't work for that insurance company anymore). Just a few random weird things that caught my eye.

You may remember this Isetta from way back in the thread. I was able to meet the owner and get the story. He loves Isettas and always wanted one. He said he usually gets to work early and would spend a little time searching craigslist or ebay, etc for them. One morning the barn find Isetta was on craigslist and the ad said not to call before 9:00 am, and it was all he could do to wait until 8:55. He said he called and told the seller he would be there later that day to pick it up. To consider it sold. IIRC he said he got it for around $3500. He brought it to the shop where I had seen it and had them just do what needed to be done to get it back up mechanically. The engine was rebuilt, brakes fixed, etc. He kept the body as found. He has another one he's doing a full restoration on.

The next series is from a junkyard I've been to a few times. I stopped here with my son and his gf to see if we could find some truck parts. Instead we found some cool old iron rotting in the woods.

Boat tail Riviera...

Chevy vega. I always thought they were kinda cool. Drag racers used to use them with huge tubs in the back and a large motor in the front. Most of them just disintegrated into iron oxide...

I think its a 49 buick. I'm looking for a 50 buick front end for my BIL.

This sign was in a trailer. The guy that I traded my RX-7 to for the 47 Olds told me to stop by his place if I was ever in the area. One day I was, so I called and stopped in. He and his son found that the carb linkage on the mazda was messed up. I got that car up to 105 on the primaries alone. We had a nice chat and when I was leaving I saw the sign in the trailer. My girlfriends brother collects gas pumps and signs and when I saw this I knew he'd love it. I was going to just show him the pic because Eugene didn't know ow much he wanted for it or even if he wanted to part with it. Turns out he didn't want much, so I got it for Marv. He loves it. Had it framed up and added to his collection. I tried to find other examples of it online to get some kind of value but didn't find anything else even close to it. If anyone knows more about it let me know. The oil company was bought out years ago by a petroleum company based out of WY I think.

Down by the Mississippi river in Wabasha I think.

My cousins car. 1975 monza 2 town coupe. First year, not many made. 263 v8 smallest v8 Chevy made according to him.

Saw this in Mankato at the ski area. They open up bike trails in the summer. Nice rig.

I think this was in Butterfield, MN. I spotted it when we went through there to get the step side bed for my sons truck.

The new job is going alright. Lots to learn yet. Got a buyer for my old house finally. Hopefully have the closing end of July. Will be awesome not making 2 house payments. So many things to do at the farm place, which we call the Wells Compound. Or the truck farm. I just like how the term compound turns the mind. Like Waco, or some mormon hive.
Old 06-21-2016, 02:22 PM   #554
Ta2Don

I always enjoy your posts, bugs are extra fun when shooting pics through the windshield... The 75 Monza pic brought back memories... had one with a 4 banger and 4 speed... fun car, a friend had the v8 version... My mom wrecked it and a guy bought it and built a circle track car out of it...
Proverbs 27:17
US Air Force Retarded errr Retired
My '65 Stepper Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=533920
My '60 Rusty Patina Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...66#post7402266
My '72 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post7204359 SOLD
Ta2Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 09:39 AM   #555
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Just a quick post before I hit the road this morning. These are just random pics from some junkyards, peoples yards, a used car lot by Owatonna, etc...

Evan, MN cruise night is usually about a dozen bikes and 7-10 vehicles. This one was pretty special...

A detail I haven't noticed on these cars before. Door handle built into the side trim...

Fantastic...

Vintage...

This surprised me. Factory twin stick...

She's crusty...

Touch up paint for the white walls...

Been sitting awhile...
Old 06-22-2016, 11:33 AM   #556
TennesseeZ
Countdown Survivor

Did you get the year on the Indian?

A MAN OF HONOR DOES NOT LIE, CHEAT, OR STEAL, NOR TOLERATE THOSE WHO DO.

Gettin' old ain't for sissies.
TennesseeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 12:21 PM   #557
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Awesome as usual

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 01:30 PM   #558
NONHOG

Had to think of this thread when I saw this out near a Ghost town I have been visiting.
Had to step off the path to take a uh- break. See a game trail going toward the river so I take a few steps further and look down on this Plymouth?
Funny thing the engine/trans and driveline were in one very rusty piece about 10 feet in front of the car upside down.
Attached Images

Old 06-22-2016, 01:49 PM   #559
Bomp

Thanks for posting the pics.
Sure like to call shot gun and cruise with you for a couple of days.
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 02:46 PM   #560
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Mike, is that 68 Skylark in the first pic setting at a junk yard? I've been looking for good parts for a while. Those poor firebirds! Nice pics and thanks for continuing to share them!
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 06-22-2016, 06:31 PM   #561
flashed

You find the coolest rides and the best junkyard pics ever ,I want to ride shotgun too .We dont have any good yards left to plunder through . As always ,thanks for the ride .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:45 AM   #562
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeZ View Post
Did you get the year on the Indian?
I didn't but I'll ask if I see it again. Pretty sure its local.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
Awesome as usual
Thanks Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONHOG View Post
Had to think of this thread when I saw this out near a Ghost town I have been visiting.
Had to step off the path to take a uh- break. See a game trail going toward the river so I take a few steps further and look down on this Plymouth?
Funny thing the engine/trans and driveline were in one very rusty piece about 10 feet in front of the car upside down.
That's a great pic. Did you get one of the engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
Thanks for posting the pics.
Sure like to call shot gun and cruise with you for a couple of days.
You know where to find me.

Quote:
Mike, is that 68 Skylark in the first pic setting at a junk yard? I've been looking for good parts for a while. Those poor firebirds! Nice pics and thanks for continuing to share them!
It is but I'm sure it's not getting parted out. I think that was at french lake by Annandale. http://www.frenchlakeautoparts.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
You find the coolest rides and the best junkyard pics ever ,I want to ride shotgun too .We dont have any good yards left to plunder through . As always ,thanks for the ride .
HG's Rusty Crusty Ride-a-long Tours will be starting up around spring of 2035. Sign up now for shotgun, you snooze you loose. Bring your tool bag, you never know what you can't live without until you see it in a farmers grove or forgotten in the back corner of a forgotten junkyard.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:24 AM   #563
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Continuing on, because I never seem to get caught up on these posts. My son got a job at the local hot rod shop. They are actually an engine shop, that expanded into mechanical and then autobody stuff. They have an engine and chassis dyno. The pay isn't great but he's getting some great experience working wherever they need him. Building a chassis from a kit one day to replacing the door glass felts in a 55 chevy the next to working in the body shop to stripping down LS motors. Tuesday they took some of their old shop cars for a cruise to Victoria, picked up a new car then drove to Henderson for their cruise night. Job perk. http://www.schwankeshortblocks.com/

I stopped by a couple weeks ago and he gave me a tour. Of course I took a few pics.

Chassis he assembled. It ended up with an LS motor and a cab from an old chevy pickup. They sold 5 more at the Back to the 50's show last weekend. He'll be busy.

I found another old junkyard by accident. I was looking for a stepside bed for the boys truck and old bus seats for a friend (apparently they fit well as rear seats in flat fender jeeps). I got a few leads from a few people and ended up calling this guy with a hydraulic hose business out in the countryside. He said he had the bus seats and I could stop by anytime I was back in the area. Basically he lives on the family farm and when he was a kid his dad ran a junkyard out there. Mostly ford stuff but by no means limited to that. The kid moved away, went to school, did various other jobs and eventually went back home and bought the place from his folks. The junkyard was there but not really in business. The son has restarted it up though. It's not a recycler or crusher place, just old cars, trucks and farm trucks, COE's etc. Very cool place and the owner, Shane is a great guy. He's got a website too https://shanescarparts.com/

Old sleds by one of the sheds...

I'm digging these ford wagons. Unreal visibility. All glass and window posts. No sheetmetal.

Bigass radiator...

Bonnie and Clyde?

Inside his shop...

Current project. He's been working on it for a customer on and off for several years...

Anyone know what this is?

These next few were on the drive home from Shanes...

That catches me up for the pics I have uploaded. Time for another pic dump.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 06-23-2016 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:47 AM   #564
Bomp

Thanks for more great pics.
2035, I call shotgun.
From where I sit your day to day is 99% dream job.
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 01:44 PM   #565
Indian113

AWESOME! I love this Thread, That Buick is way to nice to part out. Thanks for the Pictures
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 02:54 PM   #566
NONHOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
That's a great pic. Did you get one of the engine?
No but maybe tonight heading back there.
Old 06-23-2016, 03:18 PM   #567
Ol Blue K20

That's a cool junk yard, thanks for the pics.....

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 06-28-2016, 11:12 AM   #568
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I'm on hold with the company IT help desk to get my work laptop reconnected to the VPN. Second time in the last 20 hours. So I may as well get more pics up.

Last friday we went to the World of Outlaws Sprint car races in Jackson, MN. It was cool, the cars are fast, but I prefer stock cars for more wheel to wheel action. Seems like the sprints fall into order about 2 laps in and stay there unless someone breaks down or makes a mistake. Anyway, out in the parking lot was this car/trike hybrid...

Sprint cars, we had pit passes...

Classic pit bike by the gate...

Last week in Maple Grove one of the gas stations I stopped at had the owners race cars on display for some promo thing.

Factory drag car...

Last week I had the chance to go to an auction. I was interested when I saw some of the cars that were being sold. I didn't walk away with any vehicles, but filled the back of the yukon up with miscellaneous crap for a few dollars. There was supposedly a 427 BBC there but it turned out to be a 2 bolt main 1982 truck 454 with some LS6 cast iron heads. And it had been sitting for years so the cam lobes showed surface rust. Not a terrible engine but not what was advertised.

1940 Chevy project. I think it sold for about $650.

This is what I was most interested in. At first glance it's a 70 Camaro Z28 from AZ. Straight and rust free. A closer look revealed it was not a Z-28, had some rust, the interior was mostly gutted and in boxes. It sold for $4200.

66 T-bird. I was kinda interested but it had rust throughout the floor and trunk. Very few options for the model. I prefer the earlier 60's of these. I think it sold for around $3600.

GMC Cabelero...

This was the nicest vehicle there and sold for about $12,000. Nice BBC and set up for drag racing. Really a nice truck.

Old 07-05-2016, 09:32 PM   #569
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Very nice, keep them coming! Your son's job sounds great. What a good place to start out! Those 2nd gen camaros, mainly the 70-73s, seem to keep going up in price. It's getting crazy IMO.
1969 Chevy milk truck

Last edited by Dieselwrencher; 07-05-2016 at 09:39 PM.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:01 AM   #570
bendim

Awesome Pictures!
Old 07-06-2016, 07:30 AM   #571
Ol Blue K20

Thanks for a nice ride. Looks like you had some fun.

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 07-06-2016, 05:53 PM   #572
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Very nice, keep them coming! Your son's job sounds great. What a good place to start out! Those 2nd gen camaros, mainly the 70-73s, seem to keep going up in price. It's getting crazy IMO.
I would have been in on it for about a grand less. Mainly as a project to try and flip for extra cash, but the values for non-Z28's aren't that great. Maybe $15-20k at most. And this one needed more work than at first glance, which likely means there is even more you can't see. Wasn't worth the risk to me and I have plenty of projects going on as it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendim View Post
Awesome Pictures!
Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
Thanks for a nice ride. Looks like you had some fun.
Always try to.

The boy and I went to the back to the 50's show/swap a few weeks ago. I didn't buy much, and we only cruised through the show for a short time, but here's some of it...

A series of cars with some awesome flake...

Classic toyota...

I think this sold. Came with a parts car just like it...

Lloyd micro-car. My son by it for size comparison. It was sold already. Too bad, I like this weird stuff. Drop a nice liter bike engine in it and smoke some 10" rubber.

I walked in, but wasn't interviewed. Guess I'm not Kwik Trip material...

Last edited by hgs_notes; 07-06-2016 at 06:03 PM.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:54 PM   #573
RDrancher

Just found this excellent thread. Still working my way through it, but wanted to say thanks!
Old 07-07-2016, 09:22 AM   #574
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDrancher View Post
Just found this excellent thread. Still working my way through it, but wanted to say thanks!
You're welcome. I get out of the house a lot. Well, not this week. Fuel pump died in my truck, but most weeks. I like to share with my fellow gearheads.

I went back to sport wheels in Jordan to look for some ATV parts. I rolled our polaris and cracked the rear luggage rack thing. I found one that was also cracked, so now I think I'll try to repair it. Anyway, I think a lot of these pics are of things I didn't see before.

I'm a turbo lover (judas preist)

Chinese

Hodakas. I remember these from the 70's

Mini-mini bike...

I'd love to have this old GPz...

A couple of classics here. That chopper cleaned up nice.

There was a collection of oddball cars out back. How about some euro styling on a POS chevy wagon? Super sporty...

A javelin. I really like these. Hard to find a good one around here. This isn't a good one. I like the truck toppers for "weather protection".

Jeepster I think...

My girlfriends brother would give his left nut for this sign. He doesn't need the nut anymore, so not a big sacrifice. BTW, has anyone ever heard of someone actually accepting a left nut as trade for something? I think it's time for a craigslist ad in which I only accept a left nut as trade for what I'm getting rid of.

Unusual bike.

Czechoslavakian...

Heck yes!!

2 stroke non-jokes. They have a ton of these at this yard. Suzukis and Kwakas...

Man, if I had the time I'm sure I could build a lot of awesome out of this little section of the yard...

I'm not sure but I think this might be an old Saab, like the one I posted a couple years ago. It's rough and missing everything. I wonder if he has the parts stored in one of the trailers around there.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:30 AM   #575
flashed

Wow ,great pics again ,I also would sacrifice my left nut for that sign .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote