The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-21-2016, 12:52 PM   #601
daddyjeep

Re: 75 Dually build

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75Dually View Post
Had not really thought about a third brake light. Interesting... I wonder where would be the best place for it?
Inside the glass. I wouldn't cut that thing up for it.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=786514
daddyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 03:14 PM   #602
75Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjeep View Post
Inside the glass. I wouldn't cut that thing up for it.
That is a really good idea!
75Dually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:48 PM   #603
75Dually

I was out in the shop tonight with my son in law and we started talking about how to solve the gutter line. I then took some 18 gauge and bent up two pieces so that we could mock up the additional gutters on the cab. This was the best shot I could get because the shop is rather full at the moment. Seeing that is one of the bigger points most guys have an issue with I wanted to hear from you what you think about this possible solution.

This idea was originally proposed by a friend of mine who is a professional hot rod builder here in town. Just in case you don't see it the first one is obvious on the back of the cab near the sleeper, but the other piece is in between the front and rear drip rails in the middle of the cab. For this line to make any sense it needs both parts. I think it has some merit, but would be interested on your thoughts.
Attached Images

Old 10-21-2016, 09:58 PM   #604
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

I think it completes the line to the sleeper for sure. But, will that front one retain water and become an issue? Or have you added some drain holes to them?
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:12 PM   #605
75Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
I think it completes the line to the sleeper for sure. But, will that front one retain water and become an issue? Or have you added some drain holes to them?
Neither one is functional in this mockup, but you are right about retaining water. On the front one I think I would connect the two rails with some stainless trim and not have anything behind it so that the water would flow as before. Great question!

As far as the back piece what if that was removable when the sleeper is not connected?
Old 10-22-2016, 12:04 PM   #606
smbrouss70

I am not trying to sound like an @ss because I do applaud the fact that you are thinking outside the box and are not afraid to go for it, but you are asking for our opinions...

I have been following this thread, and I think you are building my dream truck EXACTLY like I would do it, ...until you got to the sleeper.

I think the added drip rails on the cab highlights the fact that the drip rail on the sleeper is not level on the truck, it looks like the back of the sleeper needs to come down to level it out. That would cause you to not be able to use the stainless trim on the sleeper. That plus the fact that the cab C pillars are wider than the sleeper makes me want to say that maybe you should cut your losses and go with what you really want, like Low Voltage below.
Attached Images

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -- Will Rogers
R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

1967 Pontiac GTO - Dad was the Original Owner
1970 Chevy 2wd SWB "Oscar's Truck"
1970 Chevy 2wd Blazer "Ratchet's Blazer"
2013 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax/Allison Z71 LTZ "Brown Sugar"
2017 Chevy Suburban "BDB"
2020 Chevy Blazer Premier "Foxy"

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Shop Build
smbrouss70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 01:46 PM   #607
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbrouss70 View Post
I am not trying to sound like an @ss because I do applaud the fact that you are thinking outside the box and are not afraid to go for it, but you are asking for our opinions...

I have been following this thread, and I think you are building my dream truck EXACTLY like I would do it, ...until you got to the sleeper.

I think the added drip rails on the cab highlights the fact that the drip rail on the sleeper is not level on the truck, it looks like the back of the sleeper needs to come down to level it out. That would cause you to not be able to use the stainless trim on the sleeper. That plus the fact that the cab C pillars are wider than the sleeper makes me want to say that maybe you should cut your losses and go with what you really want, like Low Voltage below.
I agree with everything you said.
Love everything about this build except the sleeper.
Just doesn't flow.

But it's not my truck and love seeing the progress.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 06:18 PM   #608
75Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbrouss70 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
I agree with everything you said.
Love everything about this build except the sleeper.
Just doesn't flow.

But it's not my truck and love seeing the progress.
Thanks to both of you for your comments, trust me it is appreciated. Yes low voltage is what I was originally shooting for. But those sleepers are not very easy to find, so far I have not found one. Much less the turbo wing...
Old 10-23-2016, 06:51 PM   #609
COS399

I used to have that magazine with Low Voltage in it.

I sent you a PM.

1987 GMC R2500 SC 454 T400
1988 Chevy R30 CC DRW 12 valve Cummins NV4500 GearVendors
COS399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 08:57 PM   #610
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

I have something that might fit your needs half way. A Lund razerback for these. (Not exactly a sleeper though)
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 10-25-2016, 07:14 PM   #611
75Dually

Quote:
I have something that might fit your needs half way. A Lund razerback for these. (Not exactly a sleeper though)
There is just something not right about that... LOL!!!
Old 10-25-2016, 10:46 PM   #612
75Dually

So tonight I finished up shaving the stake pockets. I put a coat of primer over them before I left the shop, and I should be able to put a skim coat of filler on them tomorrow or Thursday.

I want this thing in paint before LST!
Attached Images

Old 11-02-2016, 11:13 PM   #613
75Dually

So I got the bed rails almost perfect. I still have a couple of minor imperfections to clean up, but they are 99% completed. I know OCD...

Sorry for the sideways shot it was the only way the system would allow that picture to be downloaded.

So I started on the body work for the drivers door and the drivers side front fender last night. I should have that smoothed out in the next couple of days. I've got a little bit of smoothing on the passenger side too, but then I get to start on the dreaded roof. All those hail dents... Not looking forward to that, but them's the breaks!

After that I need to finalize the body gaps. Remember I pulled the front clip off my donor 89' burb, and naturally it is going to take some serious patience to get this as close as possible. I think I'm actually going to enjoy that part. I am very patient when it comes to matter like this. Let's hope so at least!

Stay tuned!
Attached Images

Old 11-03-2016, 06:28 PM   #614
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

That is looking very nice!
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 11-03-2016, 10:07 PM   #615
75Dually

Quote:
That is looking very nice!
Thanks! I'm just glad for the warmer weather right now. Maybe I can get this thing in paint fairly soon!
Old 11-03-2016, 10:07 PM   #616
75Dually

Worked a lot more on the drivers door and the drivers front fender tonight. Basically I smoothed out the skim coat of body filler I put on the lower portion of the drivers door. There was some past slight damage and it needed some help. I also ground out yesterday some really crappy body work done on the drivers side front fender. It was only a small bit on the edge by the driver door, but with a little bit of work it is much better. I may not be the best body guy but I do have standards...

Stay tuned!
Old 11-05-2016, 09:03 PM   #617
75Dually

OK today was a semi serious work day on the truck. Got up late, the wife and I went and got donuts, then I got on the truck...

So my main area of work today was a small spot on the hood, and then it was off to the races with the roof and all those darn hail dings. I think I got all of them. Tomorrow I will take the drip rails off, take off the marker lights, and finish sand the balance of the roof. I have a couple of trim holes to weld up and body work. After that I will spray the primer and make this truck finally one color, if grey is really a color...

The nice thing is the FM station I was listening to all day was playing some great music! I just had to keep pace with the jams!!
Attached Images

Old 11-06-2016, 01:56 AM   #618
travlinman

What happened to your ig acct? Did I get blocked or u take it down? Lol.
82 c30 crew cab dually ( now building )
91 r30 crew cab dually (parted and gone)
69 swb-sold
71 lab sold
all in progress......__
..........._______ |__\__
..........|__(O)______(O)] ........................
travlinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 10:42 PM   #619
75Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlinman View Post
What happened to your ig acct? Did I get blocked or u take it down? Lol.
Your going to have to help me here IG account? Sorry if I'm being dense...
Old 11-06-2016, 10:54 PM   #620
travlinman

Instagram account? I thought I was a follower of you and posting pictures of your truck
82 c30 crew cab dually ( now building )
91 r30 crew cab dually (parted and gone)
69 swb-sold
71 lab sold
all in progress......__
..........._______ |__\__
..........|__(O)______(O)] ........................
travlinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 10:58 PM   #621
75Dually

Today I decided to take one of my junky and rather beat up tail gate panels and see if I could resurrect it. I took some body filler glaze because it is very dense and is much harder than the other body fillers to fill in all the dents and scratches. After I sanded it down smooth I shot several coats of primer on it. Right now it is drying over night and tomorrow I will block it and then give it a silver paint job with a black accent edge.

I also cleaned up the GMC badge and shot it in silver. I will add some red paint to the letters once it is fully dried.

I saw a truck displayed at SEMA on Facebook that had all it's trim painted, and I thought it looked amazing. I will be doing the same treatment to the wrap around rear cab trim too. I thought it was going to be super hard to remove, but all you have to do is remove the 2 nuts that hold the corner trim pieces and then push the center piece out to one side. Lucky for me I did not break any of those ancient plastic mounting tabs. That would have been a disaster! Even a blind squirrel finds a nut on occasion...
Attached Images

Old 11-06-2016, 11:27 PM   #622
75Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlinman View Post
Instagram account? I thought I was a follower of you and posting pictures of your truck
So sorry! Duh!! My IG account got hacked and I just shut it down. I really rarely used it so it was no great loss. I might go back someday and fix it all, but man that is a pain in the neck. We'll see...

Thanks for helping out my lack of lingo!
Old 11-07-2016, 02:08 PM   #623
daddyjeep

I like the thought of painting the trim. I have been thinking about that with my interior trim. I want something different and as an added bonus, it is cheaper than buying new.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=786514
daddyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 06:50 PM   #624
LT7A

Hey 75, not sure I have much of a legitimate voice here, since I haven't been a part of your thread comment - wise until now. Although yours is one of the first threads that I read when I joined at the beginning of the year. The right word would be amazement at your fabrication abilities, and that you tackle suspension work and modifications yourself. I really like the truck as it sits. With the sleeper, I think there is a difficulty inherent in combining in the two body styles from different eras. Have you considered letting it look like an accessory? Let the contrast be the contrast? You could paint it the secondary of the two colors you choose. Put the ss trim on it. Not worry about the rain gutters. And let it be recognizable as a piece of a cab from the early sixties? I think trying to integrate that sleeper whether it's gutters, roof lines, C pillars etc, would be a lot of work and net a unit that may lose the coolness of its origin. So for what it's worth, I was just racking my brain about a way to have it be a part of your build, without the difficulty of grafting it on to your truck.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 10:11 PM   #625
75Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjeep View Post
I like the thought of painting the trim. I have been thinking about that with my interior trim. I want something different and as an added bonus, it is cheaper than buying new.
Being cheaper than new is one of the main drivers for me, but I have seen folks get in brand new parts that are all dinged up. So hopefully you will like the below shots I took tonight after I shot it in silver. Once the paint dries I will take a shot of the emblem and the panel together. Check it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
Hey 75, not sure I have much of a legitimate voice here, since I haven't been a part of your thread comment - wise until now. Although yours is one of the first threads that I read when I joined at the beginning of the year. The right word would be amazement at your fabrication abilities, and that you tackle suspension work and modifications yourself. I really like the truck as it sits. With the sleeper, I think there is a difficulty inherent in combining in the two body styles from different eras. Have you considered letting it look like an accessory? Let the contrast be the contrast? You could paint it the secondary of the two colors you choose. Put the ss trim on it. Not worry about the rain gutters. And let it be recognizable as a piece of a cab from the early sixties? I think trying to integrate that sleeper whether it's gutters, roof lines, C pillars etc, would be a lot of work and net a unit that may lose the coolness of its origin. So for what it's worth, I was just racking my brain about a way to have it be a part of your build, without the difficulty of grafting it on to your truck.
Just so you know I was really happy to read your post, and by the way you have a very legitimate voice as far as I am concerned. I think one thing that the sleeper did was wake up a lot of folks imaginations as to what is possible. Not that they have to like it. Quite the contrary, I hope that it gets them to think outside the box and create their own thing. I also agree with you that the contrast needs to be the contrast and let it be what it is. So well said.