The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > Diesel Conversions

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-20-2012, 07:51 AM   #601
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: The Story Of A Cummins Suburban (Lots Of Pics)

Wasn't this canyon in a movie or 2? Seems familiar to me.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:56 AM   #602
FrankieD

Stunning pix I would rather do what you are doing than go tramp around Europe. There a lot of great places to see everywhere in the states and a lot right in our back yards that we just take for granite and never see.
http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
FrankieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:50 PM   #603
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
Wasn't this canyon in a movie or 2? Seems familiar to me.
Wouldn't surprise me if it was. Alot of movies were filmed on the Navajo Reservation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieD View Post
Stunning pix I would rather do what you are doing than go tramp around Europe. There a lot of great places to see everywhere in the states and a lot right in our back yards that we just take for granite and never see.
Yeah, me too. Too much to see here to go wandering around other countries at this point. Not saying there are not any other countries I would like to see, just not yet.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:46 AM   #604
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

More pics please. Anxious to see what all you got in that couple thousand pics you took that week.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:18 AM   #605
FrankieD

I noticed you don't have any off road lights if you want to put some on that work and are cheap try this I posted it on cheap tricks.

Here is a cheap way to get some really nice off road or really bright driving lights. I had 4 of them on my truck it made the black back roads like daylight. I have 2 on my plow truck . They will run $50 to $70 a set but a lot cheaper than KC Lights

Housings for 4411 bulbs (standard tractor bulbs...pop them out and pitch 'em ).or if you get them from NAPA they might buy the bulbs back from you mine did.
Pair of 4509 landing lights 100W 13V
30 amp relay
12 AWG wire (red and black) connectors (for grounds and positive battery terminal)
rocker switch 14 AWG wire (switch wire)
Most important thing...20 A inline fuse for positive battery terminal to relay slot 30.

http://www.bulbs.com/espec.aspx?ID=10704
Support our Troops @ http://anyairman.com
http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
FrankieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:22 AM   #606
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Hey Larry!!

So we made it out alive. It was scary at times, but we did make it out alive. We chatted a bit with this couple from Germany before loading up in the Suburban. As soon as the German dude saw the truck he came over and started chatting again. I guess he flew into the states, bought a GM van and is wandering around the western US. He was intrigued by the sound of the truck when I started it. He could not believe the mileage I was getting out of this compared to his van. When we left, we headed past the scenic SRP Navajo Generating Station:

We had to head down 98 to hook up with 160 and go through Kayenta as there are no roads that go east out of Page. Before reaching Kayenta we went under a bridge. I didn't know what it was, but I took a pic of it to remind me to research it when we got home. Come to find out, this is the conveyor that hauls the coal off of the mesa where it is mined and out to a loading hopper where it gets loaded on an electric train and sent to the NGS. I noticed the tracks had a power line directly over the tracks and wondered what the deal with that was. When we got home I figured it all out. What a great setup. This is the conveyor bridge:

Once in Kayenta, we took 163 north out of town. We soon came upon this:

Shortly after that we came upon this sight:

Flagstaff, hell, we made it to Utah!! The truck is running like a well oiled Singer sewing machine. A large, diesel powered, turbocharged, four wheel drive sewing machine, but a sewing machine nonetheless.

Wow.

Amazing sights everywhere. Unbelievable. We have all seen pictures and movies of the area, but nothing conveys the beauty of the horizon-to-horizon views available everywhere. Wow.

In my conversation with the German guy, he said to go to the Monument Valley visitor center, take pics and bail. He stated with much emphasis to NOT go down the trail. It was the worst road he had ever been on!! It was awful. Don't do it. There is nothing to see down the trail worth subjecting your vehicle to the horrible trail. Must be bad??

Well, always being one to heed the warnings given, we decided to try the trail. Live dangerously. Safety third. Let's go!!

There are some great views to be had from the trail. This monument is called the three sisters: I don't see the female form in it, but then again I was not consulted when they were named.

The reason I subjected my vehicle to the worst road the German guy had ever been on was because toward the end was something I really wanted to see. John Ford Point. The indian on the horse was taken here. In fact, there was a brokendown looking horse in a small cage the you could pay two dollars to have your picture taken on it. I couldn't bring myself to do that to the horse. I settled for a picture of the point, sans horse:

I like this pic:

North of the valley. I think the monument on the right looks like it is giving the finger??

So how bad was the road?? Pretty nice actually. Had some washboard, but nothing to write home about. They must have roads paved with pillows in Germany for this to be the worst he had ever been on. There is a road coming up in our journey that would have pushed him so far that he would have parked his van and walked.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:25 AM   #607
Mr Pops
Ridin' Dirty

I think this might be my favorite thread on the board.
1988 V3500 Crewcab
1988 R2500 Crewcab (Mint, Ex Fire Dept)
1968 Chev Suburban (4x4 conversion) LINK
1970 Chev C20 Suburban (driver/cruiser)LINK
2005 Impala (Incognito vehicle)
2004 Yukon XL Denali (Kid hauler)
1947 Case tractor
Facebook Page(1000's of pictures of GM cars and trucks organized into albums)
YouTube Channel
Mr Pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:21 AM   #608
kikkegek

great stories and photos . Keep m comin!
kikkegek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:06 AM   #609
RatRod68

I will agree with you. Utah is probably one of the most gorgeous places in the United States, maybe even the world. We went to Moab last year and it was absolutely amazing. I recommend to everyone who has a 4wd that likes to do more than look at it, take it to moab and go ride a couple trails. You will not regret it.
D-Ranged Ford Ranger on steroids

Semper Fi
RatRod68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:45 AM   #610
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pops View Post
I think this might be my favorite thread on the board.
Thanks!! I think it might be mine too

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkegek View Post
great stories and photos . Keep m comin!
Thanks!! Will do. We are just past noon on the second day so far here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatRod68 View Post
I will agree with you. Utah is probably one of the most gorgeous places in the United States, maybe even the world. We went to Moab last year and it was absolutely amazing. I recommend to everyone who has a 4wd that likes to do more than look at it, take it to moab and go ride a couple trails. You will not regret it.
Hmm, Moab. I think I will have to go there. Lots of good stuff to see in Utah.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:41 AM   #611
RatRod68

If you have never been, it is a must-see. I can't wait to go back
D-Ranged Ford Ranger on steroids

Semper Fi
RatRod68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:52 PM   #612
justcuz

You did almost the exact same route we did. We did Prescott to Page, Page to Durango (through Kayenta), Durango to Moab, Moab to Tuba City and finally Tuba City back to Prescott through Sedona. Then saw the rodeo in Prescott on the 2 and back to Caklifornia on the 4th of July for our sons birthday. The indians at the canyon there only drive Chevys. I asked them why and the driver told me long term they hold up the best. Kind of a pleasant surprise because I had 2 other couples with me and they are both die hard Ford guys! Our guide in the canyon took our camera and probably took 100 pictures in there, she knew all the good spots!
justcuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:10 PM   #613
1985-GMC
Chevy Enthusiast

^ Ut oh, same girl? lol
1989 Burb (D60, 14BFF, 12V, NV4500, NP205, 37" tires in progress)
1985-GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:00 AM   #614
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcuz View Post
You did almost the exact same route we did. We did Prescott to Page, Page to Durango (through Kayenta), Durango to Moab, Moab to Tuba City and finally Tuba City back to Prescott through Sedona. Then saw the rodeo in Prescott on the 2 and back to Caklifornia on the 4th of July for our sons birthday. The indians at the canyon there only drive Chevys. I asked them why and the driver told me long term they hold up the best. Kind of a pleasant surprise because I had 2 other couples with me and they are both die hard Ford guys! Our guide in the canyon took our camera and probably took 100 pictures in there, she knew all the good spots!
It may get a little more familiar. So far I have only posted to about 1400 on the second day. I'm slow at this. It aggravates Larry. I'm ok with that.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:35 AM   #615
DirtyLarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesburb View Post
I'm slow at this. It aggravates Larry. I'm ok with that.
Yeah, what the heck slow poke? I’ve already chewed my nails down to a nub waiting to see your pictures.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:25 PM   #616
justcuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985-GMC View Post
^ Ut oh, same girl? lol

Who knows! But she was a real nice lady and took some great pictures.
justcuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:42 PM   #617
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
I'm slow at this. It aggravates Larry.
He's not the only one.

Here's the deal. Telling us you have tons more pics and that you are barely into it makes the aggravation build. If you had said nothing at all about that, we all would have just oooohed and aaaawed and posted dumb things like "That's great!" and " I wish I could do that" etc. and been perfectly content to wait until the next adventure (or just pics of it on a dirt road somewhere) got posted up.

But NOOOOO, you have to keep telling us about all these other awesome pics that you just can't seem to find the time to edit and make all pretty and stuff. You're killing us man! Can't you see what your doing? Just stringing us poor meatheads along on your rides in the wilderness a few bytes at a time. Just enough to keep us hooked. You're a dealer, thats what you are. Like the guy selling pot down by the playground. Here we are just innocent bystanders that have to live vicariously through other peoples accomplishments and you're playing with our souls man.

OK, I'm all better now.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:31 PM   #618
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyLarry View Post
Yeah, what the heck slow poke? I’ve already chewed my nails down to a nub waiting to see your pictures.
Fingernails or toenails??

Quote:
He's not the only one.

Here's the deal. Telling us you have tons more pics and that you are barely into it makes the aggravation build.
[MrBurns_voice]Exxcccellent[/MrBurns_voice]

Quote:
If you had said nothing at all about that, we all would have just oooohed and aaaawed and posted dumb things like "That's great!" and " I wish I could do that" etc. and been perfectly content to wait until the next adventure (or just pics of it on a dirt road somewhere) got posted up.

But NOOOOO, you have to keep telling us about all these other awesome pics that you just can't seem to find the time to edit and make all pretty and stuff.
Quality can not be rushed. What the man in the stall said to the man waiting, "Give me time".

Quote:
You're killing us man! Can't you see what your doing? Just stringing us poor meatheads along on your rides in the wilderness a few bytes at a time.
It sounds like you are volunteering to take the pics on the next run and post them up. Sweet!! Let me know when to pick you up at the airport!!

Quote:
Just enough to keep us hooked. You're a dealer, thats what you are. Like the guy selling pot down by the playground.
For your listening enjoyment:

Quote:
Here we are just innocent bystanders that have to live vicariously through other peoples accomplishments and you're playing with our souls man.
Man, that's fantastic. Who would have thought that posting pictures of the building of my truck and the subsequent adventures it takes us on would turn me into The Soul Crusher!! Now, would it make you feel better if I told you that I am slow because I am making some awesome mods to my Suburban?? Really cool stuff?? I am taking alot of pics of those too, but I am so far behind on my trip photos that I can't post them yet?? Feel better yet??

Quote:
OK, I'm all better now.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em!!

Oh, BTW, the next couple batches of pics from the trip are so cool and I was going to post them up but I spent so much time dealing with rowdy passengers on our little internet road trip here that I they will have to wait until tomorrow.

Bwahahaha!!!

Last edited by mosesburb; 08-29-2012 at 12:08 AM.
mosesburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:59 PM   #619
1985-GMC
Chevy Enthusiast

Haha
Attached Images

1989 Burb (D60, 14BFF, 12V, NV4500, NP205, 37" tires in progress)
1985-GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:01 AM   #620
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
It sounds like you are volunteering to take the pics on the next run and post them up. Sweet!! Let me know when to pick you up at the airport!!
Airport hell, I'm driving.

Quote:
For your listening enjoyment:
I don't know if you watched this all the way through, but there is a beaver shot at 2 minutes and another good view at about 4:27. Its just funky enough for me to like it.

Thank you!

Quote:
Who would have thought that posting pictures of the building of my truck and the subsequent adventures it takes us on would turn me into The Soul Crusher!!:
I never said soul crusher. Now your just getting a big head.

Quote:
Now, would it make you feel better if I told you that I am slow because I am making some awesome mods to my Suburban?? Really cool stuff?? I am taking alot of pics of those too, but I am so far behind on my trip photos that I can't post them yet??
Excuses, excuses. Pics or it didn't happen.

Quote:
Oh, BTW, the next couple batches of pics from the trip are so cool and I was going to post them up but I spent so much time dealing with rowdy passengers on our little internet road trip here that I they will have to wait until tomorrow.

Bwahahaha!!!
Now see, that right there is just mean. I bet you actually feel a bit guilty now that you've been called out. You're probably pounding away at the keyboard right now trying to crop and adjust color just so you can throw us a bone to chew. We'll just see how cool these so called pics are if/when you ever get them posted.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:16 AM   #621
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Quote:
I don't know if you watched this all the way through, but there is a beaver shot at 2 minutes and another good view at about 4:27. Its just funky enough for me to like it.

Thank you!
That's funny. I never watched it, I only listened to it--click play and go back to the window I was working in. Whoops. Linked a different one.

Quote:
I never said soul crusher. Now your just getting a big head.
You didn't say it, but I know it is what you meant.

Quote:
Excuses, excuses. Pics or it didn't happen.
Interesting psychological ploy there. It's a swing and a miss, but interesting nonetheless.

Quote:
Now see, that right there is just mean. I bet you actually feel a bit guilty now that you've been called out. You're probably pounding away at the keyboard right now trying to crop and adjust color just so you can throw us a bone to chew. We'll just see how cool these so called pics are if/when you ever get them posted.
Guilty?? Nah, I got it under control here. I don't want to see Larry cry though. Hmmm.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:17 AM   #622
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985-GMC View Post
Haha
Dude, that's funny.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:21 AM   #623
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
I don't want to see Larry cry though. Hmmm.
You can find anything on the interweb...

Old 08-29-2012, 12:26 AM   #624
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Quote:
You can find anything on the interweb...

Larry Crying - YouTube
Wow, sounds just like him.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:33 AM   #625
DirtyLarry

Quote:
Wow, sounds just like him.
Okay, were’d dem damn pics that has been all the talk lately?