The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-23-2013, 06:12 PM   #626
GCncsuHD
Charlie Daniels w/ a Tq Wrench

Re: The Hillbilly Deluxe dually build

Have you considered just filling that seam with some filler and touching up the paint?

I know you mentioned you're not one to go back and touch up a project, but maybe make it part of a new project- pull the fiberglass filler plate, fill in those extra holes, smooth over the "FORD" logo, fill the seam, paint it all, and put it back together.
78 K30 Dually Semi-Retired Fire Truck 350/SM465 35"s
SOLD01 2500HD ECSB 6.0 4x4 5.13's 8" lift 38"s
GCncsuHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 06:15 PM   #627
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
Kevin, are you visiting the in-laws for Christmas? I have a Jeep steering shaft here at the house. It's a little crusty, but you are welcome to it for your truck.
Damn man, I love you.

I'm scheduled to go over there this weekend I think. I'll ask the boss.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:18 PM   #628
Tx Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCncsuHD View Post
Have you considered just filling that seam with some filler and touching up the paint?

I know you mentioned you're not one to go back and touch up a project, but maybe make it part of a new project- pull the fiberglass filler plate, fill in those extra holes, smooth over the "FORD" logo, fill the seam, paint it all, and put it back together.
Is that kind of like when y'all said "instead of pop rivets, consider using stainless hardware" which was a nice way of saying "oh hell no, that won't ever look worth a damn, try again."
Old 12-23-2013, 06:24 PM   #629
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
....These pictures are for those guys who politely told me I was being cheesy for using pop rivets. You were right. It cost more and took a long wait to get the stuff, but this is the more sanitary route. Point taken and constructive criticism is always welcomed. I sometimes lose sight of the big picture.

In retrospect, I wish I'd have made another pass with the welder and ground it smooth to make the seam between the bed side and the added section below it more seamless.
I wasn't going to point that one out since we'd already dog-piled you about the rivet vs SS fasteners (it was an internal struggle for me )

Quote:
Am I wearing you guys out with this glacial pace I'm working at ?

I try to never be the guy who says "it will do for now" or "I'll tidy it up later". I try to start a project and complete it in its entirety then move onto something else. Nothing to finish up later. When I run out of projects, I'm done.
Unfortunately.... I suffer the same affliction. I want to complete that 'portion' of the project & check it off my list before tackling the next.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 06:39 PM   #630
Tx Firefighter

Damnit

I can slick off the seam, but making the filler cup smooth isn't that easy. Its fiberglass of some kind. I have no idea of how I'd effectively fill the two extra holes in it. Honestly, the thought of buying 30 dollars worth of resins and stuff for those two holes isn't exciting me. I agree the welded seam is a craftsmanship issue which I can (will) address with the welder and flap wheel.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:09 PM   #631
SCOTI

Quote:
Damnit

I can slick off the seam, but making the filler cup smooth isn't that easy. Its fiberglass of some kind. I have no idea of how I'd effectively fill the two extra holes in it. Honestly, the thought of buying 30 dollars worth of resins and stuff for those two holes isn't exciting me. I agree the welded seam is a craftsmanship issue which I can (will) address with the welder and flap wheel.
Hide them in plain sight. Drill the holes out to the size required for some simple black plastic push plugs....
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:14 PM   #632
Tx Firefighter

Scot, that's a good route to take.

This also reminded me that I'm not quite done with it as I forgot to add the bonding strap.

I'll fool with it more on Christmas Day when I next get some truck time.

I appreciate the honest opinions y'all are offering.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:55 PM   #633
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Quote:
Damn man, I love you.

I'm scheduled to go over there this weekend I think. I'll ask the boss.
Just let me know; I should be around. If it is really supposed to be 63 degrees, I am hoping to be behind the garage making some progress.

It isn't pretty, but seems like it is still tight. I figure you probably have a handle on the pretty part.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:21 PM   #634
83GMCK2500

Looking good. Those stainless fasteners set it off nicely, it is a good thing you had that idea.

As far as those two holes, do you foresee yourself installing air bags on that truck? That is a decent place to route the valvestems for air bags, keeps them accessible, together, and protected.

1983 GMC High Sierra 2500, 4x4, RC/LB, 400 S.B., SM-465, NP-208, Corporate 10 bolt & 9.5" 14 bolt
1996 GMC Sierra SLE 3500 DRW, 4x4, EC/LB, Vortec 454, NV-4500, BW-4401, AAM 925 & AAM 1050
1997 GMC Sierra SLT 1500 4x4, Z71/F44, EC/SB, Vortec 350

My Introduction with my '83s History
New Daily, the '96
83GMCK2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:34 PM   #635
Tx Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83GMCK2500 View Post
Looking good. Those stainless fasteners set it off nicely, it is a good thing you had that idea.

As far as those two holes, do you foresee yourself installing air bags on that truck? That is a decent place to route the valvestems for air bags, keeps them accessible, together, and protected.

I don't foresee any airbags. This bastard is some kind of stout in the spring department. It does look like an extra stainless steel screw would fill the smaller hole though.

I'm glad you like my idea (cough) on the stainless steel hardware. I consider it quite an impressive idea I had (cough).
Old 12-23-2013, 08:56 PM   #636
bigblock73
yeller

Kevin, I have really enjoyed the build...great job!

Hope I don't get any slack for this, but here is my thought on the fuel filler. The welded plate needs to be shortened so that its about 1" even all the way around the bottom of the filler piece, with matching radiused corners, then welded smoothed. Plugging the 2 holes as Scoti mentioned would look great and finish it off nicely.

Keep up the great work!
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:27 PM   #637
83GMCK2500

Quote:
I don't foresee any airbags. This bastard is some kind of stout in the spring department. It does look like an extra stainless steel screw would fill the smaller hole though.

I'm glad you like my idea (cough) on the stainless steel hardware. I consider it quite an impressive idea I had (cough).
Thaaat's right, I flipped back to the axle rebuild and wiring portion of this thread and saw the massive leaf packs you have.

Thank you for the caliper rebuild pics & process. In the back of my mind I know there isn't anything complicated to them, but it is just something I have not yet done. You mentioned that you soda blasted the pistons before polishing, what media did you use? As many parts as I have soaked and scrubbed and chipped debris off of, I can definitely say that when time, space, & $ permits, I will look into a blast cabinet.

1983 GMC High Sierra 2500, 4x4, RC/LB, 400 S.B., SM-465, NP-208, Corporate 10 bolt & 9.5" 14 bolt
1996 GMC Sierra SLE 3500 DRW, 4x4, EC/LB, Vortec 454, NV-4500, BW-4401, AAM 925 & AAM 1050

New Daily, the '96
Old 12-23-2013, 10:32 PM   #638
Tx Firefighter

Devin, I just used baking soda. I buy it in 50 pound bags. It's not food grade, it's lower spec, intended for media blasting usage. You can even get it a Harbor Freight. Its a very gentle abrasive. I use it mainly for internal engine parts. It peels gaskets, carbon and dried grease right off but doesn't hurt the parent metal.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:05 AM   #639
Stoney
Farm Truck

I'll second the FORD logo. Nice screws. That logo actually kind adds character.

Mike
Jersey Village, Tx

Last edited by Stoney; 12-24-2013 at 12:30 AM.
Stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 12:45 AM   #640
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Quote:
Devin, I just used baking soda. I buy it in 50 pound bags. It's not food grade, it's lower spec, intended for media blasting usage. You can even get it a Harbor Freight. Its a very gentle abrasive. I use it mainly for internal engine parts. It peels gaskets, carbon and dried grease right off but doesn't hurt the parent metal.
Are you using this in a hopper separate from your blast cabinet?

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 03:35 PM   #641
Tx Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUISER View Post
Are you using this in a hopper separate from your blast cabinet?
It's a pressure chamber that you fill with baking soda. There is a hose with nozzle that you hold. I do it outside as its a total loss system. Living where I do, a couple of pounds of baking soda blowing in the wind isn't an issue.

Not my picture. Stolen from google search. I have the same exact unit but mine looks like dookey due to wear and tear. 100 dollars well spent though.

Old 12-24-2013, 04:21 PM   #642
83GMCK2500

Is it also a hazmat suit recommended process? I have stood outside with a harbor freight blaster and a hood on and ended up with sand ev-er-y-where.

New Daily, the '96
Old 12-24-2013, 04:32 PM   #643
Tx Firefighter

Not at all. I stand with the wind at my back and let it rip. No PPE needed. Maybe some safety glasses if I'm blasting down in a cavity. There's not near the pressure or violence as sandblasting. Keep in mind, I'm getting maybe a year of use out of a 50 pound bag, so the volume is low. That's why I like it, its very controllable and mild. No risk of damage to things like motorcycle engine cases, pistons, or even brake caliper pistons and bores.

My wife did say my mustache tasted like baking soda yesterday though, and she had no idea I'd be soda blasting. Maybe I should look into a face shield.
Old 12-24-2013, 04:48 PM   #644
83GMCK2500

Wow, nice...that sounds like $100 fantastically well spent. I have friends generous enough to allow me use of their cabinet or pot when I need; unfortunately I am often cleaning aluminum or sheetmetal and, as you know, a person can gouge/erode it pretty fast. I assume the soda is more gentle on sheetmetal as well?

New Daily, the '96
Old 12-24-2013, 04:53 PM   #645
Tx Firefighter

I don't know much about sheetmetal. Soda is much more expensive than the sand I use (outside) or Black Beauty (cabinet) so I only use it on smaller, critical stuff to keep from spending a pile of money on media.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:39 PM   #646
eldogg

Where do you get the soda media? Cost? Looks like I'm gonna have to get one of blasters.
Thanks for the caliper tech. I've been wanting to give it try. Rockauto.com here I come.
eldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:15 PM   #647
Tx Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldogg View Post
Where do you get the soda media? Cost? Looks like I'm gonna have to get one of blasters.
Thanks for the caliper tech. I've been wanting to give it try. Rockauto.com here I come.
Blaster and media are both Harbor Freight. About 100 for the unit and maybe 40 for the media. As long as you use the unit for sane stuff like carburetors or such, the media lasts a long long time. I've only used two bags of it in two years since I got the unit. And, that was blasting a lot of motorcycle engine parts for pay last year.
Old 12-25-2013, 12:02 AM   #648
aotte1

Just a small addition to your great post for consideration. I use a 3M painters half mask when blasting, etc. It provides a lot more (needed) lung protection. Know it is uncomfortable, hot, and a general pain. Will post pic of what I use.
Thanks for all the great information on your truck.
Les
aotte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 03:27 PM   #649
Tx Firefighter

I simply could not be any happier. It's as good as I'd hoped.

Scot, you had mentioned needing stock dually wheels. I'm your guy. They're stacked there on the bed. If you don't take them I'll wind up making grinder stands out of them or something.
Old 12-25-2013, 03:42 PM   #650
bigblock73
yeller

Looks sweet Kevin!
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote