The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-25-2013, 04:08 PM   #651
hardcore4life

Re: The Hillbilly Deluxe dually build

That truck looks awesome. What was the total overall drop for the front and rear?
hardcore4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 04:10 PM   #652
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Thank you.

The truck is lowered about 2/2 drop. Rear is drop shackles and front is cut one coil from spring.
Old 12-25-2013, 04:31 PM   #653
Tx Firefighter

Cell phone pics of the other side. Sorry for the scrap metal clutter around the shop clogging up the pictures.

Old 12-25-2013, 06:28 PM   #654
aotte1

Super nice Alcoa wheels, are they new? Friend has the same wheels on his duallyed suburban 1984, BBC with 300K miles. I use them on my truck and trailer too. Have been using Alcoa cleaner, polish, sealer, which keeps them clean for a year, however, they stopped making it recently.
Les
aotte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 06:44 PM   #655
darkhorse970

Very nice "work truck"!

SOLD - 1963 C10 Short Fleet
350/700R4
4/6 drop

1967 GMC Super Custom - Short Fleet
COPO concept w/427 BBC
T-400 w/Doug Nash overdrive
4/6 Drop, Buddy Buckets, etc...
Frame Off (In Progress)
I call it "Vulgar Display of Power"

1980 Silverado
Original paint
49k Original miles
4/6 drop

Check out my build thread here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6209941
darkhorse970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 06:46 PM   #656
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Perfect stance. Cool how the stainless fasteners around the filler neck show even at distance.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 07:03 PM   #657
83GMCK2500

Talking Re: The Hillbilly Deluxe dually build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
I simply could not be any happier. It's as good as I'd hoped.
Truck YEAAAAAH! It does look great. Standing back and looking at it now, was it worth the wait?

1983 GMC High Sierra 2500, 4x4, RC/LB, 400 S.B., SM-465, NP-208, Corporate 10 bolt & 9.5" 14 bolt
1996 GMC Sierra SLE 3500 DRW, 4x4, EC/LB, Vortec 454, NV-4500, BW-4401, AAM 925 & AAM 1050
1997 GMC Sierra SLT 1500 4x4, Z71/F44, EC/SB, Vortec 350

My Introduction with my '83s History
New Daily, the '96
83GMCK2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 07:26 PM   #658
rusty76

Truck looks good dude.
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
rusty76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 08:59 PM   #659
flashed

WOW Tex ,that truck is sharp and I love those wheels ,I am going to be keeping an eye out for some of those for my 72 1 ton . As always you did good .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 09:35 PM   #660
Tx Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aotte1 View Post
Super nice Alcoa wheels, are they new? Friend has the same wheels on his duallyed suburban 1984, BBC with 300K miles. I use them on my truck and trailer too. Have been using Alcoa cleaner, polish, sealer, which keeps them clean for a year, however, they stopped making it recently.
Les
They're 1989 era Alcoas I bought off Craigslist. They were pretty horrible when I got them and required me to sand from 80 grit on a DA sander through 2000 grit before polishing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse970 View Post
Very nice "work truck"!
Thank you. That's a tall compliment coming from a guy who builds trucks the caliber you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUISER View Post
Perfect stance. Cool how the stainless fasteners around the filler neck show even at distance.
I think you guys like the stainless fasteners more than I do even.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83GMCK2500 View Post
Truck YEAAAAAH! It does look great. Standing back and looking at it now, was it worth the wait?
Certainly. I'm a patient guy though. I'm not a bit sorry about the work or expense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty76 View Post
Truck looks good dude.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
WOW Tex ,that truck is sharp and I love those wheels ,I am going to be keeping an eye out for some of those for my 72 1 ton . As always you did good .
I'm surprised the positive reaction these wheels are getting. It seems like you can't even get through the front door of this place anymore without using at least a dropmember and semi wheels. I figured I'd get a lot more blank stares for my choice of rolling stock.

Now, update and progress report.....

I like the stance. Please squint your eyes and disregard the extra wheels and junk stacked onto the bed. I'd have liked to have it a smidge lower, but my hands are tied as far as tire size. Remember I have no overdrive and currently 4.56 gears so I couldn't afford to run shorter tires which would allow deeper lowering. So, with the necessary tall tires, this is about as low as I could go.

So, I'm still waiting on two RockAuto deliveries. I've got brake line crush washers and front hub grease caps en route. Currently, the truck has no brakes. I just clamped the old brakes hoses shut with a couple of pairs of small vise grips to pinch them shut and cut them off short until I get the new crush washers. At that time, I'll install the new brake hoses and get them bled.

Today I also bit the bullet and ordered new Moog steering parts. That's four new tie rod ends and two new adjuster sleeves. When they arrive I'll install them along with my new idler arm and will have all brand new stuff on the front. Remember I just got done with ball joints and shocks. It will be 100 percent and ready for alignment at that time.

On the rear, I still have to take two of the old stock wheels, bust them down, powdercoat, and install the last two new tires to have fresh inside duals. I also need to swap the rearend out at that time. I also have new shocks to install then. I did run into a significant snag today with regards to the rearend swap. The park brake cables are completely different between the two rear ends. I'm gonna wind up busting it all apart and swapping the 88 model backing plates and cables onto the 80 model rearend. I just hope my new brake parts will interchange. I still haven't had the heart to research that yet. I'm afraid I'm gonna be stuck with a pile of brand new parts that won't work. We shall see.

I also need to put on my big boy pants and just order 32 new lugnut covers to complete the wheel and tire phase.

Last edited by Tx Firefighter; 12-25-2013 at 09:41 PM.
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 10:59 PM   #661
Zane M

I love the new stance.
Zane M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 11:09 PM   #662
darkhorse970

Stance is dead on, and it's a truck thats still able to be utilized for its intended purpose.

If I could muster about half of your shop work ethic, I might eventually finish some stuff! Great work Kevin!

SOLD - 1963 C10 Short Fleet
350/700R4
4/6 drop

1967 GMC Super Custom - Short Fleet
COPO concept w/427 BBC
T-400 w/Doug Nash overdrive
4/6 Drop, Buddy Buckets, etc...
Frame Off (In Progress)
I call it "Vulgar Display of Power"

1980 Silverado
Original paint
49k Original miles
4/6 drop

Check out my build thread here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6209941
darkhorse970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 01:10 AM   #663
83GMCK2500

Quote:
On the rear, I still have to take two of the old stock wheels, bust them down, powdercoat, and install the last two new tires to have fresh inside duals. I also need to swap the rearend out at that time. I also have new shocks to install then. I did run into a significant snag today with regards to the rearend swap. The park brake cables are completely different between the two rear ends. I'm gonna wind up busting it all apart and swapping the 88 model backing plates and cables onto the 80 model rearend. I just hope my new brake parts will interchange. I still haven't had the heart to research that yet. I'm afraid I'm gonna be stuck with a pile of brand new parts that won't work. We shall see.

I also need to put on my big boy pants and just order 32 new lugnut covers to complete the wheel and tire phase.
Crap! I forgot about that. After 84 or so the parking brakes went from the divided along each framerail style to combined on the driver with the passenger side cable facing out the rear of the backing plate. You might be able to get away with drilling the correct cable hole in the restored passenger backing plate, giving the parking brake hardware (out of the 88 axle) the same treatment that the other stuff got and swapping it over. I had a similar snafu on my truck, but I worked in a wrecking yard and was able to grab the couple different parts.

1983 GMC High Sierra 2500, 4x4, RC/LB, 400 S.B., SM-465, NP-208, Corporate 10 bolt & 9.5" 14 bolt
1996 GMC Sierra SLE 3500 DRW, 4x4, EC/LB, Vortec 454, NV-4500, BW-4401, AAM 925 & AAM 1050
1997 GMC Sierra SLT 1500 4x4, Z71/F44, EC/SB, Vortec 350

My Introduction with my '83s History
New Daily, the '96
83GMCK2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:10 AM   #664
eldogg

You nailed the stance! I love the Alcoa's. I think I'm gonna have to have a set now. $$$$ We have the five hole's on the DSE dually. You doing a killer job on the truck. I think we could all learn some work ethic from you.......
eldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:35 AM   #665
GCncsuHD
Charlie Daniels w/ a Tq Wrench

Quote:
Come on, you know you wanna

78 K30 Dually Semi-Retired Fire Truck 350/SM465 35"s
SOLD01 2500HD ECSB 6.0 4x4 5.13's 8" lift 38"s
GCncsuHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 12:09 PM   #666
SCOTI

Quote:
I simply could not be any happier. It's as good as I'd hoped.

Scot, you had mentioned needing stock dually wheels. I'm your guy. They're stacked there on the bed. If you don't take them I'll wind up making grinder stands out of them or something.
I'll take em brother. Let me know when & where.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 01:16 PM   #667
Low Elco

Stance is perfect. Great looking work, as usual. Have you run up to see if your super-groovy new fuel system fills good yet? Gonna look great with a round of hay on the back!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 06:42 PM   #668
Tx Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldogg View Post
You nailed the stance! I love the Alcoa's. I think I'm gonna have to have a set now. $$$$ We have the five hole's on the DSE dually. You doing a killer job on the truck. I think we could all learn some work ethic from you.......
I learned a lot of work eithic from two very influential men in my life, an old German boss and my father in law. Neither knew the concept of compromise, no matter how small and seemingly unimportant the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCncsuHD View Post
Come on, you know you wanna

I don't know of any spiked covers that fit these 1 1/16 hex lug nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
I'll take em brother. Let me know when & where.
I can bring them to the fire station in Hurst some day if it makes it convenient for you. It's about 50 miles closer than where I live. I still need to bust down one pair to use for my inners. Then when I get them installed, I'll have four left over tires/wheels for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Stance is perfect. Great looking work, as usual. Have you run up to see if your super-groovy new fuel system fills good yet? Gonna look great with a round of hay on the back!
I dumped five gallons out of a can which worked very well. I'm optimistic that it will do as well at the pump. The truck is currently uninsured so I don't drive it unnecessarily until I get it squared away.

Today's update is very anti-climatic. I didn't have a lot of time so I decided to just focus on finishing the fuel filler.

First off, I trimmed and re shaped the section that sits below the bed to better mimic the outer shape of the filler bezel. Then, I fired up the welder and welded and sanded until it is pretty much seamless. I'm not gonna go buy body filler (mine is all dried up) and get too mental on this deal. It looks much better according to Valerie.

Made up a bonding strap.

I'm waiting on Rockauto order of brake hose crush washers, tie rod ends, and tie rod adjuster sleeves. It's probably gonna be next payday before I can afford to do the rearend swap. I'm gonna wind up having new u bolts made so that will take a few bucks. Who knows what I'll find when I drop the driveshaft to do the swap either (concerning u joints). Plus I'll need rear diff oil. All that adds up.

Last edited by Tx Firefighter; 12-26-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:39 PM   #669
Sodell

TX that fuel filler looks like a professional did it now! I think those wheels look very cool with your flatbed, can't believe they shined up that nice....looks like it's ready for some work!

With that last hole you could put a filler cap with a strap attached...

87 Chevy 2WD SWB, 88 4x4 LWB
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=610652
Sodell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:20 PM   #670
77ChevySharkBite

Your truck is coming along really great i'm loving it!!

77 C10 Silverado Sharkbite LWB Build
67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
06 Dodge Magnum 2.7v6 aka swag wag!
2010 Honda Accord 2.4I4 DD aka Liquid Metal
77ChevySharkBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:22 PM   #671
ryanroo

That does look 100% better. i am glad you went back over it and filled that groove. makes it look totally gucci! the button heads were worth the wait as well

ryanroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:26 PM   #672
bigblock73
yeller

Love the fuel filler update...great job!!
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:36 AM   #673
SCOTI

Quote:

I can bring them to the fire station in Hurst some day if it makes it convenient for you. It's about 50 miles closer than where I live. I still need to bust down one pair to use for my inners. Then when I get them installed, I'll have four left over tires/wheels for you.

Yes sir. Just let me know a Sat/Sun when you get things swapped as you want them & I'll drive out to the station like before. The Mrs was correct.... the 'revised' filler area is better.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 03:46 AM   #674
squaredaway

Quote:
I dumped five gallons out of a can which worked very well. I'm optimistic that it will do as well at the pump. The truck is currently uninsured so I don't drive it unnecessarily until I get it squared away.
Somebody call me??? j/k

Great build as usual, Keith. I am watching this, but miss the Ayer's Garage Facebook page with all of the powdercoating shots! Has the 78 sold?
squaredaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:08 AM   #675
Tx Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by squaredaway View Post
Somebody call me??? j/k

Great build as usual, Keith. I am watching this, but miss the Ayer's Garage Facebook page with all of the powdercoating shots! Has the 78 sold?
The 78 is sitting next to the shop. I guess I'm gonna pull the suspension and drivetrain out and do something drastic with the rest of it. I got too many trucks.