The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-10-2014, 11:31 AM   #1
Luther Grimace

Re: Whose on Steelies? Post 'em up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior43 View Post
What size are those wheels? 16 or 16.5? And how wide? 8 lug?
Luther Grimace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 11:48 AM   #2
67swb72klb

A 72 I had this summer stock 6" on the front and 8" on he rear
Attached Images

Old 10-10-2014, 12:51 PM   #3
70 shop truck

Here's mine.
Attached Images

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." Unknown
70 shop truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 02:44 PM   #4
68C20

There are some really nice trucks on here. These pics are making me rethink my aluminum wheels.

68 C20 long bed Stepside Daily Driver
64 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88
68C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:12 PM   #5
hanly2

Hey guys I want to order a set of those bullet centers that push through for my 15x6 stock 72 steel wheels, but I am not sure what size I need. Can someone help me out?
Thanks.
hanly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 11:53 PM   #6
Donzie

I picked up 2 sets of wheels. 1 set is stock, 6 lug, narrow wheels and the other set is 6 lug wide rallys.
I'm going to run the narrow in the front, wide in the rear, all painted yellow to match the truck, with narrow white walls and '55 Chevy Belair caps.
Just wanted something different than what everyone else is running.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:33 AM   #7
Beetle

Guess I can play

68 Stepper mostly original cept the S10/Astro Caps

68 Step
Trucks Sold: 70 GMC, 72 K5
Members met: Andy4639 GCncsuHD CSGAS zicc1835 hotrod farm truck Mingrao Bhelton brenthiggins
Beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:52 AM   #8
sboris

There was no sheetmetal connected to these wheels back in post 413.
71 short step-sold
71 chevy Beauville van
My build.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=633039
sboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 09:50 AM   #9
special-K
Special Order

Great looking right there. It's a snap shot right of the '70s of what I wanted... and had. I had a few Woodland Green (505) trucks back then and wide black wheels with no caps was the way to go. If there were any K/20s with white wheels and hubcaps back then I sure didn't notice them.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 03:52 PM   #10
sboris

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Great looking right there. It's a snap shot right of the '70s of what I wanted... and had. I had a few Woodland Green (505) trucks back then and wide black wheels with no caps was the way to go. If there were any K/20s with white wheels and hubcaps back then I sure didn't notice them.
Have any pics of those 505 trucks? To me theres something about a no frills, nothing loud, truck (black wheels) that really gets me going..
71 short step-sold
71 chevy Beauville van
My build.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=633039
sboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 05:45 PM   #11
67chevy1series

I love black steelies. I'll have black steelies on pretty much everything I own
67chevy1series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:43 PM   #12
yellow&white72

Gotta love the black steelies
Attached Images

yellow&white72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:06 PM   #13
Stranny64

Here's some 8 lug rally steelies...
Attached Images

1968 Custom Camper C/20, rebuilt original 327 with 350 hp., turbo 400 with shift kit, factory AC truck, original patina rust free paint from Oregon, 2/4 lowering springs + 1" blocks, GM 2500 8 bolt rally's with dually center caps with Firestone Destination 245/75-R16's. (My 50th birthday present from my wife!!!)
Stranny64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 12:01 AM   #14
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by sboris View Post
Have any pics of those 505 trucks? To me theres something about a no frills, nothing loud, truck (black wheels) that really gets me going..
I think all I have are a couple shots of a '71 Blazer I had. That had white soft top, wheels, bumper, and brush guard. I had a '69 k/20 Stepside in 505 that I ran black 9.75" Kelsey-Hayes and also a '72 K/10 short Stepside with black 15 x 8s. I just ran long chrome lug nuts. I've also had a '53 and a '92 that color. That color screams traditional truck

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 11-20-2014, 02:00 AM   #15
Gravityamp

Here are mine . Nice rims and trucks everyone

thanks for sharing
Attached Images

Gravityamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 08:12 AM   #16
nzc10

Go black steelies
Attached Images

85 302 Jaguar
99 955 Daytona
10 1050 Speed Triple
nzc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 09:20 AM   #17
special-K
Special Order

Not to be crappy, just trying to keep terminology correct here. It seems now that hubcaps are a thing of the past and all but the economy models coming with allot wheels, it seem people are losing the definition of what a "steelie" is. There are wheels made of steel and there are "steelies". Steelies are the type of wheels that came on virtually every American made vehicle since moving away from spoke wheels. Hubcaps or wheelcovers where the focus and the wheel was just a wheel. All other steel wheels are styled steel wheels and many have their own name. Even wider chrome steel hubcap-type wheels are known as "Chrome Reverses" and non-hubcap type are known as "Smoothies'
Not trying to be a heavy, but I'm sure I know what the original poster was looking to see, and that was OEM hubcap-type steel wheels that came from factory, or the first aftermarket wide wheels of the same design, often made by the same OEM jobber as stock width wheels. Some wider wheels where even an option. And GM performance models of the '60s came with 1" wider (7") wheels which are highly sought after. It just makes us look dumb to those who know better and this site deserves better than that, with being possibly the single most authoritative site on early GM truck models

Tim

Old 11-20-2014, 12:26 PM   #18
nickv6266

Quote:
Not to be crappy, just trying to keep terminology correct here. It seems now that hubcaps are a thing of the past and all but the economy models coming with allot wheels, it seem people are losing the definition of what a "steelie" is. There are wheels made of steel and there are "steelies". Steelies are the type of wheels that came on virtually every American made vehicle since moving away from spoke wheels. Hubcaps or wheelcovers where the focus and the wheel was just a wheel. All other steel wheels are styled steel wheels and many have their own name. Even wider chrome steel hubcap-type wheels are known as "Chrome Reverses" and non-hubcap type are known as "Smoothies'
Not trying to be a heavy, but I'm sure I know what the original poster was looking to see, and that was OEM hubcap-type steel wheels that came from factory, or the first aftermarket wide wheels of the same design, often made by the same OEM jobber as stock width wheels. Some wider wheels where even an option. And GM performance models of the '60s came with 1" wider (7") wheels which are highly sought after. It just makes us look dumb to those who know better and this site deserves better than that, with being possibly the single most authoritative site on early GM truck models
Finally someone who knows wheels made that clear. I wanted to say something similar but figured you would chime in eventually. Thanks Tim.
nickv6266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 07:56 PM   #19
Gravityamp

Quote:
Did not mean to make you look dumb , I'll remove my non hubcapped truck post I was under the impression steelies was a steel wheel not a hubcap

Thank you for the info and clarification

Peace
Old 11-20-2014, 08:27 PM   #20
special-K
Special Order

I think I already said something similar back at the beginning of this thread, which is why I was hoping to not come off as being crappy. I said something again because the meaning appeared to be getting lost again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravityamp View Post
Did not mean to make you look dumb , I'll remove my non hubcapped truck post I was under the impression steelies was a steel wheel not a hubcap

Peace
Thank you, brother. Peace to you,too. What a wonderful world it would be if more people wished peace upon one another more. I was hoping I worded my post in a way to be informative w/o being offensive to those who apparently don't know what a "steelie" is. I guess I wasn't clear enough because now you think a steelie is a hubcap, you seem to be offended, and you think you made me look dumb. Sorry, no harm intended, but you're wrong x3. Steelies are wheels and hubcaps (or wheelcovers) mount on them. Some run them open and some run caps/covers. Learning is good, right?

Tim

Old 11-24-2014, 03:47 AM   #21
Gravityamp

Quote:
I think I already said something similar back at the beginning of this thread, which is why I was hoping to not come off as being crappy. I said something again because the meaning appeared to be getting lost again.

Thank you, brother. Peace to you,too. What a wonderful world it would be if more people wished peace upon one another more. I was hoping I worded my post in a way to be informative w/o being offensive to those who apparently don't know what a "steelie" is. I guess I wasn't clear enough because now you think a steelie is a hubcap, you seem to be offended, and you think you made me look dumb. Sorry, no harm intended, but you're wrong x3. Steelies are wheels and hubcaps (or wheelcovers) mount on them. Some run them open and some run caps/covers. Learning is good, right?
I guess I wasn't clear enough because now you think a steelie is a hubcap, you seem to be offended, and you think you made me look dumb.

Wrong on all counts there . You were clear , I don't think a steelie is a hubcap (although a steelie has to accept a hubcap ) I don't think you look dumb , I have never seen you and I am not one judge nor do I care how you dress ,dumb or not . Your exact words were "It makes us look dumb " I believe . Your words not mine .

You do realize the part about how you dress is a joke right ?

I hope so geez you need to relax a bit I won't say another word other than dude , all I did was try and correct a mistake I made . So if your done acting like an old lady get over it . ..... High five ! hand shake ? knuckle bump?

Peace
Old 11-24-2014, 09:56 AM   #22
special-K
Special Order

I guess I need to do some quoting here, then I'm done. I know you are new here, so I'd like to welcome you here and hope you and me can get along after this rough start. This site doesn't allow pee contests and we are asked to move on. What happened was 2 pages back. That isn't moving on. I felt your reply to my informative post was unnecessary (and I'm sure staff will agree). It also had an unfriendly tone and makes it appear (to me) that you are the one who got offended. I apologize, but I stated in my first line what my intentions were and were not. Most all us come here, basically, for these reasons... it's friendly & fun and it's is by far the best site on the web to get info on classic GM trucks. That's where my, "It makes us look dumb", comment came from. If people come here who know what a steelie is and see a thread several pages long asking to see steelies it would appear we don't know our stuff if we have dozens of wheels that are steel show but not steelies run wildly with no attempt to correct it would make us (meaning our website) look less knowledgeable than we actually are. If they see it corrected, and others agreeing, it's damage control. There's a lot of pride for this site by it's members, it's not that any of us are overly concerned with how we look to others.

Quote:
Did not mean to make you look dumb...... I was under the impression steelies was a steel wheel not a hubcap

Peace
Quote:
I guess I wasn't clear enough because now you think a steelie is a hubcap, you seem to be offended, and you think you made me look dumb.

Wrong on all counts there . You were clear , I don't think a steelie is a hubcap (although a steelie has to accept a hubcap ) I don't think you look dumb , I have never seen you and I am not one judge nor do I care how you dress ,dumb or not . Your exact words were "It makes us look dumb " I believe . Your words not mine .

You do realize the part about how you dress is a joke right ?

I hope so geez you need to relax a bit I won't say another word other than dude , all I did was try and correct a mistake I made . So if your done acting like an old lady get over it . ..... High five ! hand shake ? knuckle bump?

Peace
I'm truly done with this. Let's move on...

Tim

Old 11-23-2014, 11:48 AM   #23
factorystock

Quote:
There are wheels made of steel and there are "steelies". Steelies are the type of wheels that came on virtually every American made vehicle since moving away from spoke wheels. Hubcaps or wheelcovers where the focus and the wheel was just a wheel. All other steel wheels are styled steel wheels and many have their own name.
I agree, a steelie is a factory type steel wheel that accepts a traditional hubcap. A styled steel wheel is a wheel with all sorts of crazy cut outs, slots, holes, triangles etc, similar to what is seen on most cars and trucks the last 20 or so years. I will include the factory rally wheel and factory spoke wheels in this definition also. Remember when the thing to do was a "shiny repaint in whatever color" and some "nice chrome mags", it has come back full circle to leave it with "original patina paint" and " steelies and hubcaps".
factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 11:18 AM   #24
DreamRyder1963

Here is an updated pic of my 71 with green paint and black 12 series smoothies.
Attached Images

http://www.dracoautodesigns.com/
DreamRyder1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 11:49 AM   #25
crazyjim

1970 gmc with 76 running gears.
Attached Images

crazyjim is offline   Reply With Quote