The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-09-2014, 10:00 PM   #51
TacBlade

Re: Handcrafted Goodness Inside! Exterior Mirrors

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaird View Post
I have a little update mainly on timing for those interested. The prototype I should have in my hands in 1-2 weeks. Its then going to take 3-4 weeks to make the moulds, and then another 3-4 weeks to make the actual castings. I'll keep you updated with more detailed timing as we progress along.

The process to make the prototype is pretty interesting, so I thought I'd share. The slug or pattern of the mirror that will be casted for the prototype is going to be 3d printed. If you don't know what 3d printing is, think of it as an inkjet printer, but instead of ink, the print spits out plastic from a spool (think weed wacker trimmer line) that is heated like a glue gun. What results is a 3 dimensional, plastic copy of the mirror. Then this plastic pattern is used to cast the prototype. I thought that was pretty cool since casting originated sometime around 3,000 BC and now we are using modern technology to compliment it. Sorry…got a little geeky there!

Have a good rest of your weekend. I think I'm going to get out in the garage and "tinker" as my wife puts it.
I am in for a pair of #1's. The 3D printer is pretty impressive. I found many Dinosaurs on my ranch and the Institute that is digging for us makes copies of Dino bones with theirs.
TacBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:23 PM   #52
jtp67-72

Looks like it's goin to happen .......i'm totally behind you on this ...if the pricing comes in reasonable u are going to be a busy man......I'll give u a free spot at my swapmeet if you will debut them there 1st!!!.....lol...but serious!....jim
Old 06-09-2014, 10:45 PM   #53
jlaird

Oh, it's happening Jim!
jlaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:49 PM   #54
BADAZ chevy guy

I can't wait to see what other things you can make.

700R4 build thread. >>> http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...36#post6740236
BADAZ chevy guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:45 PM   #55
jlaird

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Rumbler View Post
you ever thought of just machining the parts ?
That's a good question, and something I've put a lot of thought into. I'm glad you brought this up actually.

With these mirrors for example, there will be parts of if that will be machined, as well as custom hardware that I will be showing you any day now.

But to machine the entire mirror housing out of a single piece of billet removes an important element in the process; and that is a human connection. That's hugely important to me.

Anybody can push a button on a CNC machine, and yes, it will look REAL pretty. But I like to know that the part I'm bolting on my truck was made with an artisans hands and that it has a story behind it. These factors give the part character and substance that hopefully means something to its owner.

Here's an example. One of my mentors is Kirk Browne. Some of you may know his work at Crafty-b.net. Kirk has helped me along the way by answering an occasional question I may have about the parts business. He's known for his flip-top Halibrand style gas caps, and they are the most beautiful gas caps in the world...my world anyway. You can tell just by looking at his art, that he's passionate about his craft.

I bought one of his gas caps about a year ago. It's patiently sitting on a shelf in my garage waiting to be installed. Every time I walk by it, I smile, because I know where it came from, how it was made, and who made it. I can't wait to get it on my truck because I know people will be asking about it. And I will be telling the story of a guy who inspired me to get off my butt and start something meaningful.

Just wanted to throw out one more thing. I, in no way, am putting down billet parts nor the CNC machinist who creates them. I'm not one of those guys that only like customs or period correct builds or street rods or pro-touring, or … actually the whole categorizing that some feel they have to put your car or truck in kind of makes me crazy! But that is another topic for another day. Bottom line is I like it all. But when it came time for me to define what type of parts Relicate would stand for, it was important to chose a path that both you and I could feel good about. So to that end, as my tag line says, Relicate parts will always be "Crafted with Soul."

I really want to know where you guys fall on this subject. Do you have specific tastes, or do you like it all?
Old 06-10-2014, 10:38 PM   #56
BADAZ chevy guy

As a custom cabinet and furniture maker, I truly understand where you're coming from. There's just something special about making something with your hands.
And can I just say... I think I'm falling in love with you. lol

700R4 build thread. >>> http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...36#post6740236
BADAZ chevy guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:25 PM   #57
jlaird

IT'S REAL!!! More progress pics. Must be my lucky week. Received these photos today from Jay at the foundry. By the way, they are located in Kalamazoo, Michigan, about 2 hours from Detroit. How cool is that!

These are pictures of the raw casting. Next stop after I receive it is to the machine shop to mill the through hole for the pivoting hardware. After that is done, I'll have it polished. It's my goal to one day be able to do all these post-casting processes my self when I am able to leave the day job. But for now, I have to rely on outside sources.

The last two pictures are of the flask. You will see the impression of the pattern I showed you a couple days ago. Sorry about the blurry one.

I texted these pictures to my wife when I got them today and wanted to share her response. She's very supportive. She says, "IT'S ALIVE!! You mad scientist. Can't wait to hold it."

Here is another photo of the wood flasks that foundries have been using since the 1800's

Last edited by jlaird; 06-14-2014 at 09:29 PM.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:08 PM   #58
nds1968

Looks awesome! Your making it happen; keep it up.

1967 short fleet Project Blue Goose
'If it don't bounce back... heeheehee you go hungry!" Blues Brothers
nds1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:37 AM   #59
Xeen

Very cool, it's guys like you that make a hobby fun and interesting, you get an "attaboy" for this!
Old 06-14-2014, 10:51 PM   #60
jlaird

Quote:
Originally Posted by nds1968 View Post
Looks awesome! Your making it happen; keep it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeen View Post
Very cool, it's guys like you that make a hobby fun and interesting, you get an "attaboy" for this!
Thanks for the motivation fellas!
Old 06-14-2014, 11:09 PM   #61
jlaird

So friday I came home from work with a little package at my doorstep. It was the prototype casting! Pretty cool to hold it after drawing it on a piece of paper. Monday morning I'll bring it over to the polisher. They will machine the mounting hole and polish it. Can't wait to see what it looks like from this raw casting.

On the same day, I also stopped by the machine shop and they finished the prototype hardware. Funny how things happen. After several weeks of waiting, I receive the casting and hardware on the same day.

I wanted to share some pictures of the path the hardware took. Everything starts as a sketch on paper. I'm far from a great sketcher, but I get by. The mounting hardware is a two piece design. Instead of using a plain flat washer, I designed this contoured washer. It had to be two pieces because if it were one, it couldn't pass through the hole in the mirror housing.

After the sketch, I drew a mechanical drawing to hand to the machine shop.

Here is a little Bridgeport Mill action. One day (soon I hope) I will have one of these bad boys in my garage. Jeff was milling a piece that will be hidden behind the mirror glass.

Here are the finished pieces. Real happy with how they came out. They are polished Stainless. The washer has a little lip that sits in the other piece so that they align perfectly with each other. I have to work a little more on removing the machining marks on the washer.

Here they are mounted on an arm. I designed in flats to get a wrench on it so you can get it nice and tight.

That's all folks!

Last edited by jlaird; 06-14-2014 at 11:15 PM.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:31 PM   #62
jlaird

Here's a little sneak peak at what I was working on today.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:43 PM   #63
67ctener

Where's the waiting list for these mirror heads?? Look awesome. Are the mirror heads also polished stainless?
90 k2500
91 s10
#chevyonly
67ctener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:51 PM   #64
jlaird

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ctener View Post
Where's the waiting list for these mirror heads?? Look awesome. Are the mirror heads also polished stainless?
No waiting list. I'll be doing a limited initial run and I'll open it up to a first come, first serve basis. These will be polished cast aluminum.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:53 PM   #65
67ctener

Great well I'll watch close I would like a set when available
90 k2500
91 s10
#chevyonly
Old 06-16-2014, 11:57 PM   #66
jlaird

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ctener View Post
Great well I'll watch close I would like a set when available
Cool! If you want, you can subscribe via my website and I'll shoot everybody an email when they are ready. Otherwise, just watch this thread.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:09 AM   #67
67ctener

Thanks sir, I'M IN!
90 k2500
91 s10
#chevyonly
Old 06-17-2014, 07:15 AM   #68
BugzC10

Quote:
Here's a little sneak peak at what I was working on today.

Other than the obvious, tell us what you have in mind.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:15 AM   #69
Matt Cramer

Nice work! It's probably out of my budget right now, but I wish you the best of luck with them!

(I'm partial to #1 myself, FWIW.)
Matt Cramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:05 PM   #70
jlaird

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugzC10 View Post
Other than the obvious, tell us what you have in mind.
Will do Bugz. I will eventually start a new thread for the arms, just need some more design time. This was meant just as a little sneak peak.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:09 PM   #71
jlaird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Cramer View Post
Nice work! It's probably out of my budget right now, but I wish you the best of luck with them!

(I'm partial to #1 myself, FWIW.)
Thank you for your opinion, it's worth a lot!
Old 06-22-2014, 04:22 AM   #72
rico12410

woww.. awesome!
rico12410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:41 AM   #73
BugzC10

Quote:
So friday I came home from work with a little package at my doorstep. It was the prototype casting! Pretty cool to hold it after drawing it on a piece of paper. Monday morning I'll bring it over to the polisher. They will machine the mounting hole and polish it. Can't wait to see what it looks like from this raw casting.

On the same day, I also stopped by the machine shop and they finished the prototype hardware. Funny how things happen. After several weeks of waiting, I receive the casting and hardware on the same day.

I wanted to share some pictures of the path the hardware took. Everything starts as a sketch on paper. I'm far from a great sketcher, but I get by. The mounting hardware is a two piece design. Instead of using a plain flat washer, I designed this contoured washer. It had to be two pieces because if it were one, it couldn't pass through the hole in the mirror housing.

After the sketch, I drew a mechanical drawing to hand to the machine shop.

Here is a little Bridgeport Mill action. One day (soon I hope) I will have one of these bad boys in my garage. Jeff was milling a piece that will be hidden behind the mirror glass.

Here are the finished pieces. Real happy with how they came out. They are polished Stainless. The washer has a little lip that sits in the other piece so that they align perfectly with each other. I have to work a little more on removing the machining marks on the washer.

Here they are mounted on an arm. I designed in flats to get a wrench on it so you can get it nice and tight.

That's all folks!
I missed this earlier. Very nice piece work. Can't wait to see the assembled mirror. Now that you have plans for the arms, I hope I can still afford these babies.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:48 AM   #74
70shortfleet

I like #1 and #2 It is a hard call but I'm going with number 2. Great job on the mirrors but I need a relicate design on the 72 sport mirrors!
70shortfleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:06 AM   #75
jtp67-72

Josh, I'm joining the sport mirror crowd too...boy when these round ones are flyin off the shelf .....sport mirror with maybe a little twist would be hot as well..that small rectangle style has always looked "right" on these trucks....Make these and i would be goin crazy on which one to use!!!...lol...jim