The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-11-2020, 11:28 PM   #51
Ofnaman1

Re: X or h pipe, your thoughts guys

Like stated earlier, engine masters did a whole episode on this subject for comparison of power. Honestly, there is no noticeable power difference between H, X, or none, on a stock or mild built engine.

With that being said, I have ran and installed x pipes, h pipes and duals with no crossovers. The sound difference out of the tailpipes is all about the same (assuming the two tailpipes exit the rear of the vehicle or same side). The sound inside the cab is much different. X and H pipes both knock out almost all cab droning noise in my experience with aftermarket mufflers that generally produce droning noise (ie, flowmaster 40's, which I almost always run). I love the look of x pipes, but they are not always easy to install if you do not have the room. On my ls9 c10 we have dual 2.5" exhaust with flowmaster 40's. When we had the exhaust built, the exhaust shop forgot to install the h pipe. Driving it with no h pipe was pretty terrible in the cab. When we took it back, they installed a 2" h pipe and it made all the difference. Well worth it in my opinion. If your hoping for more power, save your money......
Ofnaman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 11:32 PM   #52
Ofnaman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofnaman1 View Post
Like stated earlier, engine masters did a whole episode on this subject for comparison of power. Honestly, there is no noticeable power difference between H, X, or none, on a stock or mild built engine.

With that being said, I have ran and installed x pipes, h pipes and duals with no crossovers. The sound difference out of the tailpipes is all about the same (assuming the two tailpipes exit the rear of the vehicle or same side). The sound inside the cab is much different. X and H pipes both knock out almost all cab droning noise in my experience with aftermarket mufflers that generally produce droning noise (ie, flowmaster 40's, which I almost always run). I love the look of x pipes, but they are not always easy to install if you do not have the room. On my ls9 c10 we have dual 2.5" exhaust with flowmaster 40's. When we had the exhaust built, the exhaust shop forgot to install the h pipe. Driving it with no h pipe was pretty terrible in the cab. When we took it back, they installed a 2" h pipe and it made all the difference. Well worth it in my opinion. If your hoping for more power, save your money......
Our recent H pipe.
Attached Images

Ofnaman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 10:04 AM   #53
BCOWANWHEELS

only kids like it loud, once you mature all that leaves
I BELIEVE IN JOHN 3:16
BCOWANWHEELS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 10:07 AM   #54
BCOWANWHEELS

I also think it creates back pressure
I BELIEVE IN JOHN 3:16
BCOWANWHEELS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 07:38 AM   #55
Mike C

The pipe reduces back pressure by allowing the volume of both sides of the system to be used by each side of the motor rather than separating them. That is what attenuated the tone and eliminates the drone.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 08:29 AM   #56
72LB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCOWANWHEELS View Post
only kids like it loud, once you mature all that leaves
Thats a matter of opinion, I prefer louder.
Old 03-13-2020, 09:11 AM   #57
special-K
Special Order

We need to watch our use of words like "only" and "all" when we are referring only to ourselves. Not all kids like it loud, some mature adults still do. When we mature some stop liking loud, some don't, and others like various tones in various applications.

I know a motorcycle is so light the power to weight ratio is high. But Harley started putting crossovers on their exhausts to quiet them down, I think to meet regulations. The only owners I see that don't change that first thing are the few who didn't get the memo . It's true when it comes to best performance on a Harley it's 2 into one, they say. But the old school thing is 40" drag pipes 2" diameter and that's what I run. The guy doing the dyno-tune figured I would be needing baffles to get the best street tune. I was pleased to see, same as my previous bikes, he gave it back w/o baffles tuned to the max! I have had the same thing happen on the last three bikes. The experts said I needed baffles, I didn't want them and didn't think they needed them, and in the end the experts agreed. Tailpipes are about sound. It has to be a really poorly made exhaust system to have a noticeable deficit in performance. Mandrel bent, crimped, exit location, crossover or not. You can come up with different numbers on paper but the seat of your pants doesn't read. In the end... no not that end... it's do what makes you feel best

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote