The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-29-2014, 03:15 PM   #51
StarDust

Re: Father (son) 86

well now that i have a job time to get to work! i was going to order patch panels today but noticed that there are two types, Slip Ons and OEM style. the only thing that need to be patched for my rocker panels is the weather strip line where it hold on to other than that my whole rocker panel is solid. i feel as the OEM style is a bit to much jus to cut out one tiny section of it.
StarDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:55 AM   #52
StarDust

Update: After about a year of slacking time to fix things up..I just recieved my patch panels right cab corner and rocker panel. I also took my truck to the alignment shop which was a bit hard since not a lot of them want to align a dropped truck, after i found one i told them to replace all of my bushings and align it after it was all said and done it was a grand total of 500! geeze i don't have that money yet so the deal my pops made was he pays the 500 i pay for new tires since this scares the SH IT out of me on the road..
The shop told me the reason was eaten so bad was because well for starters i had one bushing completely missing from the control arm and the rest half gone and my lower ball joint wouldn't even stay put it kept popping out they showed me on the lif how it pop in and out... which i am also scared of lol
Old 07-23-2014, 01:10 AM   #53
SkinnyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarDust View Post
what are these holes for and screws?
Looks like an under-dash CB Radio mount, with the mic mounting where the two screws are.

Can you tell I grew up in the 70's?

Convoy!
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:36 PM   #54
StarDust

anyone know how much a 350 rebuild would cost? I'm tired of my truck crapping out on me and also getting dusted by stock v6s by a long shot i want something to atleast give stock 5.3s a run for their money ha or just swap a 5.3 since i. can get one for 300 with all wiring?
Old 08-04-2014, 09:53 PM   #55
77ChevySharkBite

It can just depend on the shop, it's going to be hard to give them a run for the money unless you go LS, I would say go after the one with all the wiring but yet again think before you buy make sure it's a good block cause last thing you want to do is get a motor and it be jacked up.

77 C10 Silverado Sharkbite LWB Build
67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
06 Dodge Magnum 2.7v6 aka swag wag!
2010 Honda Accord 2.4I4 DD aka Liquid Metal
77ChevySharkBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:01 PM   #56
StarDust

well my friend is the one with it well his godbrother so i think he wouldnt sell a crap motor to him , and at the moment i have around 1200 would that be enough for a basic rebuild and or swap?
Old 08-05-2014, 12:40 AM   #57
Paul83

If you do the work yourself, it should be enough, but you are gonna have to be smart about your purchases.

I like long walks on the beach, dinner by candle light, and poking dead things with a stick.
Paul83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:48 AM   #58
StarDust

i was originally saving for paint/bodywork but i need waaay more money for paint/bodywork. i rather have something reliable and semi ugly than pretty and unreliable. and it should be enough for a very basic 350 rebuild or 5.3 swap? or both
Old 08-05-2014, 10:40 PM   #59
77ChevySharkBite

I can't speak on the 5.3 but like Paul83 said you have to be very smart with your purchases, I think it would be easier to just have the 350 rebuilt.

77 C10 Silverado Sharkbite LWB Build
67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
06 Dodge Magnum 2.7v6 aka swag wag!
2010 Honda Accord 2.4I4 DD aka Liquid Metal
77ChevySharkBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:08 AM   #60
Gordonr1973
Home Built '87

Fix the body first and keep your motor. Motor can always be changed anytime later on.

1998 White Chev ext cab 2WD (Summer Project) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=408424
1987 Chev Silverado SWB (Winter Project Rebuild) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=424833
Truck Club http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=466969
Gordonr1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 03:15 PM   #61
StarDust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordonr1973 View Post
Fix the body first and keep your motor. Motor can always be changed anytime later on.
i know thats the first thing im going to do but dont know of any shops
Old 10-05-2014, 10:37 PM   #62
StarDust

sory for no updates guys but ive been BUSY this whole time and here are some reasons why.
my first motor swap with my dad, replaced his motor since it was practically dead already lol

but then this problem came up, after about 4 rotor caps and 3 dist cap we decided to pull the distro and it was bent

after my dads motor was all said and done we tackled my surging 350 problem we were about to pull the tank but after seeing that is was clean we decided not to and also trying to remove a longbed with 2 is a hard job to do so we got a little bit creative
not sure how safe this is but it worked. also my surging problem is still here! im pretty frustrated right now since my truck is non operable atm and have to get a ride to work everyday it turns off on me everysingle time i drive it!

here is the tnak

old and new

we also cleaned all the fuel lines really good before installing the new fuel pump

and fixed the rust finally, not sure how good of a job this is but i knew very well this wasn't going to be professional work so i guess lol

this part came out a bit crooked if you bend down and focus on the rocker panel

hwo the panel lined up with the door

pretty sure this isn't supposed to be like this lol

this was the amount of space it was done in since thats all we could move the bed with us 2
Old 11-25-2014, 03:46 PM   #63
StarDust

alright a little update. my friend has a swb frame that he can sell to me for 75 how hard would it be switch over my cab fender and core support? i also want to switch my control arms since i recently redid the front suspension which cost me 500 that i do not just want to have to do again. his truck is an 84
Old 11-25-2014, 07:52 PM   #64
83swb

Everything is a direct swap. You can drop the whole cross-member fully assembled down off of your frame and roll it under the SWB frame, A arms and the whole 9 yards.
83swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 10:16 PM   #65
Paul83

He is right. You could do it in a long weekend. The drive shaft will need to be cut down, because of the long bed to short.

I like long walks on the beach, dinner by candle light, and poking dead things with a stick.
Paul83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 03:22 AM   #66
StarDust

alright thanks guys guess ill go with it my main concern was about my suspension since i spent most of it on it but thats seems like no problem either and i also just found my dream truck/car el camino $500 going to go see it tomorrow lol so this project might take a turn