The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-03-2013, 01:25 PM   #51
Indian113

Re: Better ride for 59 Apache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frijolito1988 View Post
Thanks for the offer bud! really generous!
Your welcome, I'm just trying to help another truck nut out.
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:46 PM   #52
blue57

If your going to go with a weld in IFS kit. I like the TCI mustang II I put on mine. Give Todd Walton at Walton Fabrication a call. He is a distributor for TCI. I think there running an offer now for free sway bar, flex brake lines and small block motor mounts. My budd and I did mine in a day. I had the front clip and motor already pulled out. The kit comes with great instructions. Not nearly as hard as it seems.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-03-2013, 09:50 PM   #53
fabguy
Elev8r Man

I really like that C4 kit. I had though about doing that type of rear end on the suburban.
Posted via Mobile Device

My F.B. project page.
fabguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:42 PM   #54
Dan in Pasadena

Bam,
I've looked at Flat Out before too. It's intriguing to think of having an old truck that handles like a Vette...I like it..

I TRULY don't have the room in my single-file driveway for an oil-dripping derelict along with my camper, dually, boats & Jetski's but I suppose IF I could strip the suspension out in a day or two I could have the carcass hauled to a scrap yard right away. And I suppose it'd be kind of a shame NOT to get the engine and trans too.... unless there was a rod through the block or some such. Even if they'd need future rebuilding, might as well keep em....though I truly like my little "rumpety-rump" idling 283.

Curious, short of finding an amazingly cheap C4 on Craigslist, what junkyard would you check? Just Ecology? I know of Lakenor Auto Salvage in Norwalk that USED TO only sell Chevy and I think Cad parts. Haven't been there in years though. Know of any other good (cheap) yards local to us you would recommend I call/check out?

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 07-03-2013 at 11:49 PM.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:16 AM   #55
fabguy
Elev8r Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Bam,
I've looked at Flat Out before too. It's intriguing to think of having an old truck that handles like a Vette...I like it..

I TRULY don't have the room in my single-file driveway for an oil-dripping derelict along with my camper, dually, boats & Jetski's but I suppose IF I could strip the suspension out in a day or two I could have the carcass hauled to a scrap yard right away. And I suppose it'd be kind of a shame NOT to get the engine and trans too.... unless there was a rod through the block or some such. Even if they'd need future rebuilding, might as well keep em....though I truly like my little "rumpety-rump" idling 283.

Curious, short of finding an amazingly cheap C4 on Craigslist, what junkyard would you check? Just Ecology? I know of Lakenor Auto Salvage in Norwalk that USED TO only sell Chevy and I think Cad parts. Haven't been there in years though. Know of any other good (cheap) yards local to us you would recommend I call/check out?
Dan,
In Irwindale there is an entire street loaded with probably 2 dozen wrecking yards that combined carry almost anything you might be looking for. It is off buena vista and south of the 210 (about 1 mile). When you get to the signal(road T's off) turn right and follow it around. Another place for a few more is Arrow Hwy in Baldwin park from about main st east to the entrance of Santa Fe Dam. That covers about 20 of them.
I can have a couple friends keep an eye out if you are ready. I come across STUFF all the time.
Posted via Mobile Device

My F.B. project page.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:19 AM   #56
fabguy
Elev8r Man

Oh I forgot, there is a good sized wrecking yards off Peck Rd just south of Live Oak

Posted via Mobile Device

My F.B. project page.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:22 AM   #57
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabguy View Post
Dan,
In Irwindale there is an entire street loaded with probably 2 dozen wrecking yards that combined carry almost anything you might be looking for. It is off buena vista and south of the 210 (about 1 mile). When you get to the signal(road T's off) turn right and follow it around....
I actually stumbled onto that curvy street of junkyards awhile ago looking for seat belts for my truck. Didn't find any but told myself to remember that street....which of course I promptly forgot!
Old 07-04-2013, 03:29 PM   #58
Frijolito1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Bam,

Already found a guy , will sell complete c4 front end, rotor to rotor for $500 I dont think its too bad having a complete rotor to rotor IFS kit for $1300 .
Frijolito1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:08 PM   #59
Dan in Pasadena

How about THIS:

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/3912420296.html

You can get an entire Vette, IFS AND IRS, plus an engine that may be rebuild-able, trans, rims - at least you could sell them on CL all for $800, possibly less. Go offer $600 or 700 in cash and when you sell the hulk afterward for scrap value your net cost would even be lower!

I found it last night just goofing around. I'm not yet ready to go get one but if I were this is the kind of deal I'd be looking for. No affiliation, by the way.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:11 PM   #60
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Already found a guy , will sell complete c4 front end, rotor to rotor for $500 I dont think its too bad having a complete rotor to rotor IFS kit for $1300 .
Yeah that is a good price. I see the vettes front suspension components on ebay all the time for that price. When I did a friends truck he paid 1000 for the front and rear.

Like I said before if I were doing my truck again I would go this route.

Last edited by Kabwe; 07-13-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:44 AM   #61
Tomb23

Check this out . I have ridden in and it was a dream ride.

http://jaysclassicpickups.com/
Tomb23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:38 PM   #62
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb23 View Post
Check this out . I have ridden in and it was a dream ride.

http://jaysclassicpickups.com/
Yeah a lot of us here have done camaro clips and its been done for years. If installed correctly they ride great there is no doubt about that.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:54 AM   #63
1958Warrior

I just got finished putting a clip in my 58 chevy truck , did it the No limit way following their video. I was scared to cut on the frame too, but nothing ventured nothing gained. I practiced welding , got some skill down and upgraded my tools , for the 1/3 price that I would've paid someone to do it for me . Plus I have the pride of doing it myself.
Check out Kabwe's" fixing a mess of a clip thread". Someone got paid to screw up that clip.
If you take your time measure and you can do it , if you already have the tools and welding skill handy .there's really no excuse not to do it.
Check out these threads:
No Limit way
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=220256
Stacked method.
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=148978
1958Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:59 AM   #64
Frijolito1988

Ok guys throwing out another question out there.

I know i can buy a rear flip kit and install pretty much any kind of 12/10 bolt in the back. My question is , I have read people also install the rear suspension clip of a 2nd gen camaro, with coil springs and all other components? I have tried searching google and this website for some pictures and details with no luck, does anybody have any info on installing the complete 2nd gen rear end along with the rear coils ( changing from leaf springs to coil springs )
Old 07-31-2013, 01:32 PM   #65
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

2nd gen's used leafs not coils.
ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:41 PM   #66
Frijolito1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckDriver View Post
2nd gen's used leafs not coils.
ah dint know that, so they also swap the leaf springs from the 2nd gen ?
Old 07-31-2013, 04:57 PM   #67
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
What is it you are actually wanting to do. There are so many variables in this hotrod thing its important that you have a clear picture of what you are wanting to accomplish. I see people use trailing arm suspension, 4 links, triangular links, IRS from corvettes or Jags, to regular standard leaf springs. If you don't have a plan it can get overwhelming. There is noting wrong with leaf springs for a driver. How do you plan to use the truck and for what purpose those questions will help you with your plans.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:01 PM   #68
Mac the Yankee

Quote:
No, just the rear end... the Camaro is a unibody setup, so the "frame" in the rear is integrated with the body.
Mac the Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:02 PM   #69
55dude

Why not check out a jaguar, they have disc brakes R&P, chevy 5 on 4.75 bolt pattern, they are cheap and parts are available reasonable and the crossmember goes in simple.
55dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:58 PM   #70
Mac the Yankee

55dude,

What years/models of Jag work? I have heard that the Jag front end is good to use, but there are some models to stay away from (and, of course, I can't remember).
Mac the Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:20 AM   #71
Frijolito1988

Ok guys still brain storming here.

I see these guys have a Mustang II clip on / weld on ( no cutting ? ) IFS . for $$1400 hub to hub with power steering , calipers ect.

http://www.fulltiltstreetrods.com/hub_to_hub.htm

I am trying to google pictures of install and how it looks installed, but cant find this kit exactly , do you guys have a link to a how to install or picture of a frame with this IFS on. Thanks guys.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:35 AM   #72
Frijolito1988

Ok i found this pretty good write up, Im an idiot, I though the IFS system came completely welded already not in pieces , either way its still doable.

http://www.customclassictrucks.com/t.../photo_23.html

But question. Do i keep the crossmember where the engine mounts are at ? Or is the engine going to be sitting in the Mustang II crossmember ? Also that means that the engine will be sitting 6-12'' back right ?
Old 08-02-2013, 10:18 AM   #73
1958Warrior

With a 1500-2ooo budget you should be able to get the front and back done no problem.
I've got my front Camaro clip for 250, totally rebuilt for 150.(Installed myself no charge, except for the cold beer) I picked up a Trans am possie rear for $250, plan on another $100 to flip it and put in new seals and bearings and brake shoes. Camaro parts are cheap , and easy to find.
No reason to blow thru the budget , there will be other stuff you'll want later(wiring, ect) and after you get it on the road you'll need something in the tank to enjoy it.

Check out thes e pic's from Ogre's thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...09&postcount=3
I've heard that the Mustang II is a little light weight for these trucks but they get used.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&postcount=314
Might just need to be gentle with them.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:19 AM   #74
Dan in Pasadena

Frijolito, Maybe I missed it but did you say if you know how to weld? Because if you don't and don't have a good friend or relative who does, a qualified welder is NOT cheap! You could do most of this work yourself if you buy some specialty tools, but quality tools aren't cheap either.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Old 08-02-2013, 12:16 PM   #75
1958Warrior

You missed it, Dad is a great welder has all the tools( compressors, welders , plasma cutters ect ) but he is scared it might come out crooked .
#1 tool is in the head confidence. Patience is 2nd. you rush thru it try to get done in a weekend , mistakes happen .You can do it just have faith in yourself, and remember , measure 5 times weld 1. and if its off that's what grinding wheels are for.