The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-03-2015, 11:02 AM   #1
Dan in Pasadena

IFS Install This Weekend - Need Advice

Ok, it FINALLY looks like I'm starting this weekend!!
For those that haven't read my thread, it's a Fatman Fabrications MII. My truck is a '55.2 with 283, early camel hump heads w/o bolt holes on the front and 15" Torq Thrust wheels will be reused.
I know I need Borgeson joints to connect my ididit column to the R&P. I don't know anything about how to pick them, size them, will I need a short shaft(s) to connect the two? Probably. Where to buy?
I will need a column drop but I assume I can't decide on that til the column is installed and I'm seated on the bench...or is there a most-common size? 2"? I'm 5'10" and I tend to like to sit high in vehicles. Stock huge steering wheel for now.
As I'm writing this I can't remember if I have a power Rack but pretty sure I do. So I'll need custom brackets for mounting a power steering pump. Which aftermarket source do you guys recommend for them?
Last, I've got a good certified welder coming over possibly Sunday - if I'm ready that fast. Two of us will be wrenching the tear down and the "dog house" is coming off (fingers crossed) as a unit. engine & tranny being pulled hopefully together and set aside for a Krylon rebuild, hah ha. Do you HONESTLY think getting to the point of welding is possible by Sunday afternoon? I don't want to let this linger, but don't want to rush either.

All experienced opinions truly appreciated. Any more experienced member who might want to drop by, I'll spring for pizza and beer or Cokes - drop me a PM. Best, and may the force be with me! - Dan

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote