The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-01-2011, 12:34 AM   #1
powerdriver 1958
Kid's Mechanic

Re: What Muffler to use? No drone wanted.

I ran these's ( http://www.holley.com/50231FLT.asp ) and headers . Would drive you nuts
powerdriver 1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:51 AM   #2
19stepSide72
wanna be 67

Fm70 flowmaster 70 series
Posted via Mobile Device
19stepSide72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:21 AM   #3
Tmwoodall

Spintech. Haven't installed mine yet but read great things, watched lots of Youtube clips and talked to the owner for a good bit.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:57 PM   #4
dyrt

NOT hooker aerochambers. I have one on my regal and i think that it may be the reason for the latest crappy rattle vibration ruckus i am experiencing. Plus, it drones if i correctly recall the sound it made new before it started making even more noise. From what i have gathered these mufflers had qc issues and the parts inside have likely come loose based on what i have read from others' experiences.
dyrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:04 PM   #5
vectorit
What?

I currently run FM series 70's with an H pipe, the tail pipes exit behind the rear wheel as well. At average highway cruise speeds, I have a drone that resonates in the suburban cabin. It's not too terribly bad, but after a while of listening to it I want it gone.

For the '70 K10 SWB I plan to put in the Dynomax "Hemi super turbo" mufflers, since it is a short length of pipe and I want it some what quiet on long drives.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Dynomax/Dynoma...44700/10002/-1
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:42 PM   #6
redrum414
Account Suspended

Wink Re: What Muffler to use? No drone wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorit View Post
I currently run FM series 70's with an H pipe, the tail pipes exit behind the rear wheel as well. At average highway cruise speeds, I have a drone that resonates in the suburban cabin. It's not too terribly bad, but after a while of listening to it I want it gone.

For the '70 K10 SWB I plan to put in the Dynomax "Hemi super turbo" mufflers, since it is a short length of pipe and I want it some what quiet on long drives.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Dynomax/Dynoma...44700/10002/-1
nice suburban is that all original ?
what is a FM 70 ?
redrum414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:01 PM   #7
71 GMCDRVR

I have flowmaster 40's on my 383 with cheapo flowtech headers. Sounds good at the stop lights but has a drone at highway cruise, But I have a set of thrush welded and a new set of doug thorley tri y's sittn in the garage ready to install.
I would say go to you tube and listen to some sound clips (they have any kind of muffler you could think of) and find what you like (thats what I did) I like the rumble the thrush has but seems to quiet down with acceleration 9at least from the sound clip) I guess we will see
Old 10-30-2011, 03:15 PM   #8
RUSHNBOBO
Account Suspended

Talking Re: What Muffler to use? No drone wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 GMCDRVR View Post
I have flowmaster 40's on my 383 with cheapo flowtech headers. Sounds good at the stop lights but has a drone at highway cruise, But I have a set of thrush welded and a new set of doug thorley tri y's sittn in the garage ready to install.
I would say go to you tube and listen to some sound clips (they have any kind of muffler you could think of) and find what you like (thats what I did) I like the rumble the thrush has but seems to quiet down with acceleration 9at least from the sound clip) I guess we will see
Those Thrush welded chambered mufflers are a great value...I believe there repackaged by Summit as one of their house brands, slightly cheaper. Got one on my Yota ....no complaints, I'd link a sound clip but they may kick me off the forum.
RUSHNBOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:11 PM   #9
71 GMCDRVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSHNBOBO View Post
Those Thrush welded chambered mufflers are a great value...I believe there repackaged by Summit as one of their house brands, slightly cheaper. Got one on my Yota ....no complaints, I'd link a sound clip but they may kick me off the forum.

I guess I'll have to take you at your word I figured for the price I can't go wrong. They were 35 a piece and from what I've heard they sound good. I don't mind a good rumble at idle and a bark at acceleration, but I DO NOT like my truck screaming at 3000 rpm....Loud is cool but quiet is comfortable
Old 10-30-2011, 10:43 PM   #10
gonnuts

If you don't want it to drone exit your exhaust out by the back bumper. Mine is loud but no drone, I only find you get that drone when you dump it under the truck or in front of the wheels. IMO