The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-25-2011, 10:41 AM   #51
special-K
Special Order

Re: Is your Classic truck a CLASSIC?

Ok,I see now....sorry. I had read his last post,then your comment,and didn't see where he was going out of his way to taunt the police. It had been a while since I had read the thread so I kinda forgot the rest of the content. BTW,I had a girlfriend in Parkville,more up the Cub Hill way,a few years ago. I couldn't get her to move up to the country. She said it was too convenient there.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:52 PM   #52
PatrickGMC70

No worries. Yeah, I've been here about 9 months now. It's definitely convenient to Baltimore. If I can get this truck up and running, I'd like to get to one of the meets this spring or summer and meet some of you guys.

Sorry if I hijacked this thread.
PatrickGMC70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 01:54 PM   #53
Torrey72
Rollin in my K5 toaster

As regards to me taunting the police. These actions have only come about in the last several years. The whole getting pulled over in the Camaro and getting a shake down has happened for about the last ten years now. It has actually become a running joke in me family. The nicer I have been with them in the past. The less they believe me and the more difficult they have been to deal with. As if I am trying to sneak one by them or something. When I read back on my previous posts, I can see how I must look like some antagonizing A-hole. That would be farther from the truth. I am clean cut, Law abiding. I am a married home owner with six kids. Three of which are adopted. I drive my cars for the enjoyment of driving them safely and traffic law abiding. Only after years of dealing with the same tired argument wile driving this car have I acquired this approach to dealing with my local law enforcement. And it works. It sounds irresponsible. And yes it is taunting them and yes it has brought me joy. But they are taken back when I basically come out and ask them what the heck do they think they are doing. You can't get anywhere trying to apologize to them for you abiding by the law. I've tried the hole "I'm sorry Officer, But, But, I am following the law. That approach seams to trigger the bully mentality that attracted them to Law enforcement in the first place. I don't hate cops. I have a lot of respect for State and local county troopers. Also, I have never been pulled over by them for this situation. This I can not say for the poorly educated city police I have dealt with. It has gone past the point of exhausting.

PatrickGMC7o: "Hey man, it's your prerogative, but I don't think I've been pulled over more than four times in the last 15 years, and my DD is a yellow GTO."
I really wish I had an answer for getting pulled over so much in this car. I love my Camaro and it is the one car that I do abide by all the collector plate laws with. It only sees nice sunny summer day driving. And rarely at that. I honestly expected more classic plated people here piping up with similar troubles. I drive my 72 Blazer way more often and not so legal as far as how often I drive it. It has a 454 with flowmaster mufflers. It is loud and dominate on the road and the cops don't even notice me. The 69 Camaro is a numbers matching bone stock. Other then the 2" drop spindles and 17" rallies. The amount of times I have been pulled over has gone from funny to just plain aggravating. It defies logic why they love this car so much. Maybe some local drug dealer has a lowered blue 69 just like mine? Maybe if I was to driving your Yellow GTO around here, they would be coming at me with guns drawn?
Torrey72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:10 PM   #54
PatrickGMC70

Thanks for the reply Torrey. I can see how that would be frustrating. And I have been pulled over for no reason whatsoever in the past, and I admit I was a little indignant about it. I hope your luck turns around.

Patrick
PatrickGMC70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:11 PM   #55
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

In Colorado your options are:

Collector Vehicle
Motor vehicles that are model year 1975 or earlier or motor vehicles with a model year 1976 or later that were registered as a collector's item prior to September 1, 2009 which are not to be used in a commercial manner
Horseless Carriage
Vehicles are limited to driving to and from assemblies, conventions for demonstrations and parades, occasional leisure drives, and on other occasions when their operations will not constitute a traffic hazard.
There are also personalized "Street Rod" plates that are for vehicles manufactured in 1948 or earlier. No real benefit to using these other than they say "Street Rod" on them.

I went with "Collector Plates" 'cause I will be driving the vehicle a bunch (that's the plan anyways) .

After reading through this thread I guess what pisses me off are the people that state they know the rules, yet don't follow them. They are screwing it up for others that do follow the rules.

You sign a document that states you will follow these rules when you register your vehicle. If the law says don't use classic car plates on a daily driver, then don't do it.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:03 PM   #56
NateK4340

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57NAPCO View Post
YOM plates ?
Year Of Manufacture plates are old license plates that were issued by the state in the same year as the model year of the vehicle. I have 1970 Texas truck plates on my '70 C20

In the Garage:
'02 Silverado Ext. Cab Z71 5.3l
'70 C20 Longstep 402BB
NateK4340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:20 PM   #57
tgriffin27
1967 Shortbed "Project Patina"

Here is what North Carolina State Law has to say about our vehicles 35 years and older. No Inspections ever but we do have to pay the $28 dollar tag fee every year and keep the current tag in our vehicle while driving, but we can display a tag on the bumper that is the same year of the vehicle we are driving is what the local dmv told me. But by the way I am reading this I am breaking the law because my tag is a 1967 truck tag but it doesn't say antique. The cops have never harassed me but I always drive like I have some sense and I have this printed out and is laying in my glovebox just in case I get pulled over.

"North Carolina Antique Vehicle Inspection Law"

It may be a good idea to keep a copy of this page with the excerpts of the general stature handy in your vehicle just in case somebody isn't up to date and tries to give you a hard time about not having your antique vehicle (military or civilian) inspected.

The North Carolina Law on vehicle inspections comes under NCGS §20-20-183.

In the 2003-2004 Legislative session, NCGS §20-20-183.2 was amended by adding a new subsection that became effective January 1, 2005:
"(a1) Safety Inspection Exception. – Historic vehicles, as defined in G.S. 20-79.4(b)(17), shall not be subject to a safety inspection pursuant to this Article."

Since the amended section referenced a different section:
G.S. (20-79.4(b)(17) This is actually the section on specialty liscense plates, but since the legistaltion above says "as defined", I don't think that you need to have the tag and that this paragraph is just being used as a definition of the type of vehicle that is exempt from inspection....

G.S. (20-79.4(b)(17) Historic Vehicle Owner. – Issuable for a motor vehicle that is at least 35 years old measured from the date of manufacture. The plate for an historic vehicle shall bear the word "Antique" unless the vehicle is a model year 1943 or older. The plate for a vehicle that is a model year 1943 or older shall bear the word "Antique" or the words "Horseless Carriage", at the option of the vehicle owner.

Chapter 20 of the General Statutes is located at:
http://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegislat...hapter_20.html

You might want to keep a reference to this in case somebody asks about your lack of inspection until folks get used to the new law.

Comment on State Vehicle Safety Inspections:
The vehicle safety inspection is based upon the equipment that was installed by the manufacturer at the time the vehicle was built or that an individual has since added. Thus a vehicle that did not have seatbelts or turn signals installed at the factory does not have to have them, but if you have them installed as a personal safety upgrade, they need to be in good functioning condition.
tgriffin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:43 AM   #58
69 Okie Truck

Got mine tagged as an antique down here in Texas. That means no inspection is necessary and as you said, are only s'posed to drive it to shows or to test it out and whatever. I drive mine everywhere I want at all hours and if I ever get pulled over I'll say I'm heading to county X to get my carb tuned.
69 Okie Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:29 AM   #59
jitteryguy
GoatLube Experss

there are a lot of "collector: tag'd vehicles around where I live in Tennessee, I never look'd into for myself but may do so when I get home. regular tags cost $56 a year in my county. I have personalized tag's on two of my truck's, one is common tag , cost's bout $100 a year the other is a personalized "Helping School's" tag, bout $40 a year goes straight to the school distric , the other $100 of it goes to the state. My girl freind say's I'm crazy to spend that much for the tag's, I just tell her "but they look cool" ! I'm gonna check on antique or collector tag's for my '78 malibu, I seldom drive it any way.
'92 S10 350/350
'84 MonteCarlo 383/PG/9"ford
'78 Malibu wagon 350/350
'78 Cutlass (project family car)
'96 S10 Jimmy (Moma's)
jitteryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:42 PM   #60
PICKMUP
"Trucks with Class"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrey72 View Post
Um, well I don't know about that. I doubt that the thought of a few classic plated cars driving around keeps the state lawmakers up at night. I would argue that the $4.6 Billion budget shortfall would have more to say about that then anything else. Gov. Chris Gregoire wanted to Tax bottled water for crying out loud.
Just last week the House Trans Committee had public hearings on a new Collector Plate Fraud bill (HB1933). I am sure the WSP & DOL generated the proposed changes: to not allow collector plates until 40 years vs 30 years and mandatory increased fines and plate forfieture.
I testified in strong oposition...those parts did not pass, but you can see there is concern.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:15 AM   #61
special-K
Special Order

I can't believe the strict state of Maryland recently went from 25 years down to 20. You can tag a darned '91 as historic! All I see is abuse coming and us old car guys losing it all.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:06 AM   #62
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I can't believe the strict state of Maryland recently went from 25 years down to 20. You can tag a darned '91 as historic! All I see is abuse coming and us old car guys losing it all.
Agreed. Just doesn't make sense.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:57 PM   #63
Christiansok

Quote:
As I said earlier this is already a problem in Wisconsin. Plenty of 88-91 rust buckets almost falling apart driving around with collector plates on them.

I wish they would move to a year cut off rather than just an age of the vehicle. If they did select a year cut off my Dad's 1980 Z28 probably wouldn't make the cut which is sad. If that happens then the people that abused it really did ruin it for the true collectors.
Christiansok is offline   Reply With Quote