The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-31-2018, 01:48 AM   #51
Killer Bee

Re: Things people say when windows are rolled down

^^^ shoulda offered him a $100 for the impala so you could put it out of its misery
Old 08-31-2018, 10:41 AM   #52
special-K
Special Order

One thing I've never heard when driving with my window down is "Hey, roll your window down" because my elbow will be hanging out.

I hear people shout things as we pass or from the side of the road but I never get the whole thing. It's always either something something with uck on the end or uck with something something after. All I know is they're smiling and waving when it's uck last and they look mad and do other things with their hands when it's uck first.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 05:35 PM   #53
bill3rail

I was at a light in Jamaica Queens and a beat up fifteen year old mini van pulls up next to me and asks if it was for sale. I said no and he said I'll give you 20,000.00 for it.
I had to laugh because I thought the guy did not have $20.00 in his pocket.

Bill
Old 08-31-2018, 06:25 PM   #54
Red71gmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
Hey, wait, but your truck IS so cute, I saw the pic. There, that'll give your truck a rest for another month!
I'm over it. It's good the truck is cute because the guy driving it is one ugly dude. Lipstick on a pig mentality and its working.
Red71gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 09:08 PM   #55
palallin

Where do you some of you guys live that people cuss at you for driving an old truck? I have yet to hear a negative comment about mine, and it's in much worse shape than most.
Old 08-31-2018, 09:57 PM   #56
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:
Hey, wait, but your truck IS so cute, I saw the pic. There, that'll give your truck a rest for another month!
I stop for coffee occasionally on the way to work and one girl who works there always comments when I'm in the Burban. " Oh you drove the cute truck". I havent decided whether to be happy or sad yet.

Second story I got from a gas station jockey. He swore that it wasn't a Suburban but it was a hearse. Said he would never ride in anything like it and didn't even feel comfortable putting gas in it. There was no convincing him it wasn't a hearse. I even opened the 3rd door and showed him the 2nd row seat. His response was anyone could have put that in there. There go my chances of have 67 Suburban Uber truck.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 10:04 PM   #57
dmjlambert

That's not the first time I've heard that type of story. I don't know what some people have against hearses. I think it's ridiculous. Dead people need to get around, too, and they ain't gonna drive themselves. Some kind of discrimination...
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 10:14 PM   #58
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:
That's not the first time I've heard that type of story. I don't know what some people have against hearses. I think it's ridiculous. Dead people need to get around, too, and they ain't gonna drive themselves. Some kind of discrimination...
Old 08-31-2018, 10:54 PM   #59
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by palallin View Post
Where do you some of you guys live that people cuss at you for driving an old truck? I have yet to hear a negative comment about mine, and it's in much worse shape than most.
One of my younger brothers was filling up his '62 C10 that he had done a frame-off restoration on. Some gal with a Hybrid was giving him guff at the pump for using too much gas. He thanked her for saving fuel for him to use. You can't jab a member of our family without getting a barb back, nope.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 11:36 PM   #60
nikwho

I always drive my old trucks with the windows down. As said earlier in this thread, it drives me nuts to have them up. Anyhow, recently I came out of the grocery store to see a crowd of 20-25 people gathered around my '59. At first I thought that something was wrong, but realized that about 50 yards away was a tour bus stopped in the same parking lot. There was a large group of Asian tourists gathered around the truck, posing for pictures! They were trading cameras, and swapping photographers. It was fun to see the group enjoying the truck. I didn't approach right away, as I wanted to let them finish taking pictures. I loitered half way to my truck for a minute or so and they all headed back to the tour bus. I put my grocery bags in the back, rolled the windows down and fired the truck up. I got a lot of smiles and peace signs. They sure got a kick of the the '59!

I get TONS of looks, smiles, thumbs up and compliments about both old trucks at stop lights and in traffic. Even a lot of pictures taken. And, the funny thing is that both of my trucks are pretty ugly, at least to me. I focus on fixing every little detail in an OCD way and get frustrated at the funky paint, but when I drive them, I realize that people don't only appreciate perfection. And, they don't see all of the IMperfection in my old trucks that I do. I have a newer truck thats great, but it has never given me the $hit eating grin that my old trucks do, every time I drive them!
Old 09-01-2018, 08:08 AM   #61
4carbcorvair

I get the usual 'Nice truck!'. Usually gets attention whenever I'm out. The funny thing, assuming because it's a wrecker, I get a LOT of people who will let me out when trying to get into traffic. They stop and let me go.
Old 09-01-2018, 10:35 AM   #62
DT1

My windows are never rolled down this time of year but I get a compliment or two almost every time I take it out, which is daily. Most all compliments start out with "Nice looking truck". The only appropriate reply I can give back is "Thank you very much" It's gotten so bad with me that if I go to a gas station and I don't get my daily compliment by the time I leave, I feel like turning around and topping off again.
DT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 11:27 AM   #63
weq92f

I have that same $hit eating grin on me when I'm driving around in my old truck too. There's always somebody giving me the thumbs up, a wave or other sign of appreciation of the truck. Love it!

I remember once passing a Big Rig on a two lane black top road. As I was coming around, the driver extended his arm out his side window with a big thumbs up and blew his horn!

Man. That was cool!

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 10:15 PM   #64
toms68cst

I get a lot of "Nice truck" comments and questions as to its year. One time last year a motorcyclist give me a huge wave out of the blue.

It seems I don't see as many 67-72's out and about as I used to 10 or even 5 years ago. It's fun to wave at other 67-72's or other old chevy trucks you see on the road.

TREASURER, Drum Brake Club.
toms68cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 10:18 PM   #65
toms68cst

BTW, DT1, That is one of the nicest pictures of our trucks I have ever seen! Stunning!

Old 09-01-2018, 11:31 PM   #66
special-K
Special Order

I was headed to a job up on the mountain in PA in my '72 with ladders and gear up on the racks. On Menzler Gap Rd I passed a red mid-80s C30 dump truck and we waved at each other. Just a couple old GMs gettin' the job done.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 09-02-2018, 12:13 AM   #67
Overdriven

My open window story is a bit weird. I’m at home just sitting down to eat dinner when I hear someone say “hello”. My windows are open, tv on, so I start looking out the front windows to see if anyone is at the front door. Then I hear “hello” again, this time I can clearly tell coming it’s from the back door and some guy is walking up to my back door which is open, screen door closed. Sprinkle expletives into “what are you doing in my backyard?” “Uh, you want to sell that truck?” “No” Guy just stands there with a shocked look on his face. I don’t know if he was shocked that I was pissed he was in my backyard or that I wouldn’t entertain selling the truck to him. I’m getting more pissed this guy is still standing there and not moving though so, sprinkle some more expletives into “now get out of my backyard and off my property”. He spoke like he didn’t have brain damage but it still took longer than most to figure out he should walk away but he finally did.

When I have the truck out it’s mostly ignored around here. Old guys and little kids like it, some of their moms are afraid of it and it’s Mother Nature perfected finish. Perfect!
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 12:26 AM   #68
Red71gmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdriven View Post
My open window story is a bit weird. I’m at home just sitting down to eat dinner when I hear someone say “hello”. My windows are open, tv on, so I start looking out the front windows to see if anyone is at the front door. Then I hear “hello” again, this time I can clearly tell coming it’s from the back door and some guy is walking up to my back door which is open, screen door closed. Sprinkle expletives into “what are you doing in my backyard?” “Uh, you want to sell that truck?” “No” Guy just stands there with a shocked look on his face. I don’t know if he was shocked that I was pissed he was in my backyard or that I wouldn’t entertain selling the truck to him. I’m getting more pissed this guy is still standing there and not moving though so, sprinkle some more expletives into “now get out of my backyard and off my property”. He spoke like he didn’t have brain damage but it still took longer than most to figure out he should walk away but he finally did.

When I have the truck out it’s mostly ignored around here. Old guys and little kids like it, some of their moms are afraid of it and it’s Mother Nature perfected finish. Perfect!

I've had plenty of those kind of experiences but with other things. I thought it was just a country thing at the farm. I have people walking in places that are obviously private and not even safe for the public. When confronted I think they expect me to offer them a glass of home squeezed lemonade.
Red71gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 07:05 AM   #69
NC_John

Quote:
Originally Posted by toms68cst View Post
It's fun to wave at other 67-72's or other old chevy trucks you see on the road.
It the south it gets exhausting. In the old truck I have to wave at the other old trucks (and since its lowered the hot rods and muscle cars too). In the corvette I have to give other corvettes the wave (I didnt know that was a thing but it is, jeeps too my Brother tells me).

In the big truck there are some more specific rules. On a rural two lane you can wave to another driver (optional and more expected the further out from a city you are). On the big road you usually give a wave or nod to a rig you are passing or one passing you (same direction of travel but not to any oncoming). In a parking lot you have to give a slight wave or nod but usually not in a truckstop unless to a truck of the same model or company as yours.

In my late model silverado a lot of the other pickup guys will wave but only in very rural areas. SC especially. I'll usually just lift a couple fingers off the rim of the steering wheel so I will return a wave but not look stupid if they don't. Maybe I'm just stretching my hand, who knows for sure.

At least the harley is gone so I don't have to worry about other bikes anymore, although they will often wave at the old truck too. This is going to be tough to teach to my kid when he starts driving.

Instagram (current build pictures) 70_nc_c10
NC_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 07:17 AM   #70
special-K
Special Order

In really rural areas everybody waves no matter what they are driving or if you are driving by their house. The way to tell city people is they don't wave, nod, or lift a finger.

Tim

Old 09-02-2018, 08:24 AM   #71
toms68cst

Many years ago when I first started driving some of the less traveled roads of North Dakota a lot, I noticed random people waving at me. It took me aback at first being from New England!

Old 09-02-2018, 11:30 AM   #72
68SWB4x4
Strongman Garage

Two guys in a jacked up super duty told me to do a burnout very enthusiastically.

I found it funny as my suburban is a very stock looking lifted 4x4 not exactly a muscle car.

Last edited by 68SWB4x4; 09-03-2018 at 01:50 PM.
68SWB4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 12:21 PM   #73
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68SWB4x4 View Post
Two guys in a jacked up super duty told me to do a burnout Beth enthusiastically.
I remember Burnout Beth. She was always enthusiastic!
Old 09-03-2018, 01:52 PM   #74
68SWB4x4
Strongman Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
I remember Burnout Beth. She was always enthusiastic!
hahaha auto correct on my phone...

good ole Burnout Beth
68SWB4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 01:56 PM   #75
Canuckvetter
How did I get this OLD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
In really rural areas everybody waves no matter what they are driving or if you are driving by their house. The way to tell city people is they don't wave, nod, or lift a finger.
So true where I’m from lol. I wave to anybody on our road. 35 yrs of owning a corvette it’s part of the code to wave. I always nod or lift a finger to any car/truck pre 1975. Sometimes I wave very enthusiastically and smile just to see the expression on a strangers face lol. Sometimes I get a friendly wave back or “who the F was that”.
1967 Oshawa built LWB Fleetside. 327,3 OTT, 515 Vermilion, CST, PS, PB, Shoulder Harness, Tach,Vac, Speed Warning, Choke Delete, Manual Throttle, Fawn interior. Dealer installed A/C 04/2015, N34 Rosewood Wheel 06/2023
Members who I have met personally. Metaldoc, chevnkevin, 62 Longbed, 72LHorn, 72MARIO, YBNORML, TBONE1964, Classic Bowties, Chevemall, Dagnabbitt.
Canuckvetter is offline   Reply With Quote