The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-02-2008, 10:48 PM   #51
Shane
Account Suspended

Re: I fought the law and the law won

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazer72 View Post
In my opinion, no 67-72 gm product will ever just "take up space."
Sounds a lot like the whining, crying and gnashing of teeth posts we see around here quite regularly about some ol' coot that's got one rusting away in his yard but won't get rid of it because "he's gonna fix it up someday"

Last edited by Shane; 06-02-2008 at 10:48 PM.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 10:51 PM   #52
HomerJ

I love the mural idea! I usually think of that kind of stuff just when it's too late to get any benefit - like 2 weeks after the POS neighbor would move.

My neighbors (at least the wife) hated my 67 (as seen in my avatar). I kept it proudly displayed in the driveway - drip pan under the leaky SBC - just to irritate her. I have to give her husband some credit, as he told her "give him time - at least he's working on it. Plus, look at that Chevelle he's got!"

My homeowner's by-laws won't allow "junk" cars in the front yard, on the grass. It won't allow them in the back yard, unless a 6-foot privacy fence blocks normal view from the street. Like others have mentioned, my truck was fully operational, just rusty. The neighbor lady that complained about my truck asked where it was when it went off to the body shop for a frame-off, trying to hide her excitement that the truck was gone (hoping it was gone for good). When my wife told her that had gone off to the body shop for a frame-off, suddenly she wanted to see it again!!! Too bad they moved about 2 weeks ago.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:52 PM   #53
GRIMSS

[QUOTE=blazer72;2182104]

I've been considering having somebody paint the mural of exactly what the trucks look like just to piss them off.
[QUOTE]

Now that would be funny.
1968 Camaro
1968 Volksrod "NOBACK"

55-59 one piece window Video
55-59 one piece window template files
Jared
GRIMSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 12:47 AM   #54
berencam

i woulda put that whole entire fence on hinges, then drop the fence to the ground, everytime they complained raise it, after your in compliance drop it. Continue this till they give up. And as for the mural, paint the ten commandments, thats sure to piss some people off. Now adays its apparently unconstitutional not to steal, kill, lie ect. If they give you crap about the ten commandments offending them and if they say its unconstitutional tell them well if its unconstitutional, then by that logic its CONSTITUTIONAL to KILL YOU.

Last edited by berencam; 06-03-2008 at 12:55 AM.
berencam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 01:07 AM   #55
original_balzer

I have seen the mural thing done before. A local guy owned about 4 acers just outside of town and had a lot of cool old cars and motorcycles. They made him put up a fence that was about 300 yards long. He then airbrushed 300yards of fence to look like a motorcycle gag was riding into town. looked like hells angels was overtaking town.
It it got the "art" ok from the judge. about 7 years ago he moved and the fence got painted all white. It was pretty cool though I even remember people stopping to take their picture in front of it.

Now heres an idea for you, false front your house to look like an old gas station get ya an old gas pump and park your trucks accordongly. Then advertise it as an attraction. When you get complaints complain about christmas lights.
original_balzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 04:12 AM   #56
GMC Jim

To add to all this..... A true story:- In a semi up-scale part of town; the new owner removed the small front lawn and had blacktop installed.... This did make the neighbors quite upset; so he painted the blacktop an ugly green! Guess he wanted to make like it was a lawn again. Anyhow, when the guiy and his family were out of town for a weekend; the neighbors painted little yellow plants on the blacktop. They did quite an artistic job; looked like dandelions from a short distance !!!
Old 06-03-2008, 08:25 AM   #57
Orange
Licensed to Thrill!

I say paint the mural, only paint some super nice 67-72's on it...then one clunker off to the side. That way, while they see it taking shape, they aren't too upset. Then, after it's done, they still have that eyesore to deal with.

DLB
Old 06-03-2008, 02:07 PM   #58
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Sounds a lot like the whining, crying and gnashing of teeth posts we see around here quite regularly about some ol' coot that's got one rusting away in his yard but won't get rid of it because "he's gonna fix it up someday"

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 02:32 PM   #59
Ackattack

just tell them they're not vehicles, they're art. Old rusty art, but art none the less
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 03:44 PM   #60
jayharrell
Gettin By on Gettin By

Well your just screwed yourself. Now your property value is going to be apraised higher next year, so your property taxes are going to go up.

Those SOBs. My dad is dealing with the same BS with is machanic shop that he's been in for 26 years. Clean it up or get fined. He's building a bill board for the street front that says "The city wants me to act like a cat and cover up my SH@T"

He might get into a little hot water over that deal... LOL

"Adios to all the concrete; Gonna get me some dirt road back streets"
jayharrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 07:41 PM   #61
blazer72
Freedom isn't Free

Quote:
Hey shane, if you disapprove of my methods so much, stop giving it so much time and attention. I work hard for a living and don't have a ton of money to just "finish" a truck. I know this restoration business comes easier to some, but I'm not one of them. And for your information, I am going to "fix some of them up someday." The rest are for parts. I've only had the trucks 2 years, they haven't had time to "rust away" quite yet. I'll keep you updated though, since you're so interested.

Cheers
blazer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:03 PM   #62
jayharrell
Gettin By on Gettin By

I think the bigger point is no one should be able to tell you what you can and can't do with your own land.

If your neighbors sucks, move, or get the other neighbors together to make them move if its that big a deal to everyone. Like forcing out a crack house. If everyone around you doesn't like it and you don't want to change your ways, then your the A hole. If there is only one guy on the block that makes the City force you to do something, then he's the A hole.

Here in Tx you have the right to shoot someone for stepping on your property with out question, but you better not have a couple of old trucks in your drive way, or you're wind up in jail for not paying fines for 'cluttering up' the city.

Damn HOA's have made it into the parts of the country that people moved to to get away from the HOA type peoples.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:09 PM   #63
jayharrell
Gettin By on Gettin By

In Germany they first came for the Communists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist. Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew. Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Trade Unionist. Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant. Then they came for me. And by that time, no-one was left to speak up.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:03 PM   #64
Shane
Account Suspended

One's rights (including property rights) end where some one else's rights begin.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:17 PM   #65
Arad68
Trucks N Tranzams

Quote:
Shane you kill me!! Some of the stuff you say is damn funny. I like that you present the other side of the coin. That being said, I agree with you. In Las Vegas any vehicle on your property unless it is out of sight I.E. (in the garage) has to be registered and have the appearance of being whole and being driven. I got several tickets for a truck that I had and got to know the code enforcement officer personally. He is a decent guy with several projects as well. I don't disagree with the law. I like all of my neighbors and they like me. I personnally don't like driving in my neighborhood and having a junk yard on both sides of the street to greet me on the way home from work.

I Like having a decent place to live and getting along with your neighbors is a good part of it. The code officer preserves this and helps to maintain the property value as well.
i have all of my projects in storage or in the garage out of sight.

'68 Chevy LB 383 TH400/GV/373 posi
'56 Chevy 4WD SWB
'64 Chevy short stepside
'79 Trans Am 455/TH2004R/12blt/4whldisc
95 Kia (Wifes car)
2002 S-10 extended cab pickup
"God punishes small sins immediately"

Last edited by Arad68; 06-03-2008 at 11:18 PM.
Arad68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 12:31 AM   #66
454_72_4X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arad68 View Post
I personnally don't like driving in my neighborhood and having a junk yard on both sides of the street to greet me on the way home from work.

I Like having a decent place to live and getting along with your neighbors is a good part of it. The code officer preserves this and helps to maintain the property value as well.
i have all of my projects in storage or in the garage out of sight.
Must be the countryboy in me, but a decent place to live to me is a place where there's either no neighbors at all, or one's that mind their own business.
I nice neighborhood shouldn't be judged by sight alone.
I don't understand how an old truck outside can lower property value, but an old truck inside can raise property value....It's still the same damn truck!
If I had to hide all the stuff somebody else doesn't like, or pay registration fees because of some ignorant law, IMO, that lowers property value to basically zero.
I just can't see changing my "like and dislikes" because of the people around me.
98 Sonoma (TPI outa the Trans Am)
03 Yamaha 660 Raptor
03/04 660 Raptor
07 700 Raptor
85 Honda Odyssey
454_72_4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 01:01 AM   #67
chevy one
Chevy One

I have a story here alsoMy Uncle has an 85 Vette in very respectable and running condition. He has lived in the same house since 1965. He built his cinder block garage behind his home back the mid seventies. Access to the garage has been and still is through the side yard which has always been a dirt drive. He works away from home 4 days a week. A few years back he was having problems with someone taking his mail so he got a PO Box. I know what dose this have to do with this issue posted here. I am getting there so bear with and keep reading.
Last winter he was sited ($125) for parking the Vette in the side yard drive area. The city sent the citation to his home address, it was returned to sender being all his mail goes to his PO Box. If you get a PO Box the mail for the first year will be forwarded to it, after the year all mail that go to the home address is sent back to sender. The city sent the citation a second time. Only this time the fine has doubled to $250 and you guessed it, return-to-sender again. This happened until the fine was up to $1800. The city asks the water company what address were they sending his water bill too. They gave then the PO Box number. When my Uncle seen the fine for the first time he was blown away. He contacted the city right away. They said they could not adjust the fine and he could take it up at a hearing and see the Judge. It took two months to get into the hearing because they were backed logged. Once there the fine had now increased to $2300, yes while he was waiting for the hearing the city tacked on another $500. He also acquired an attorney for the sum of $300 for the hearing for a grand total of $2600.00. Well you guessed it he had to pay the whole thing. Now the city is starting the whole thing over again unless he cements the area in with my Uncle of getting a permit from them "Ogden City" UT, at a cost of $265. Like to see someone top this!!! O by the way my Uncle is 65 and on a fixed income.
03 Monte Carlo
I'M NOT OLD, JUST A CLASSIC!!!

Last edited by chevy one; 06-04-2008 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Removed doubled lines.
chevy one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 01:17 AM   #68
Arad68
Trucks N Tranzams

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454_72_4X4 View Post
Must be the countryboy in me, but a decent place to live to me is a place where there's either no neighbors at all, or one's that mind their own business.
I don't understand how an old truck outside can lower property value, but an old truck inside can raise property value....It's still the same damn truck!
If I had to hide all the stuff somebody else doesn't like, or pay registration fees because of some ignorant law, IMO, that lowers property value to basically zero.
I just can't see changing my "like and dislikes" because of the people around me.
I respect your point of view, It is about what you like and your personal preference. I didn't change my likes and dislikes to match that of my neighbors...I just choose to live with people who share my point of view.

'68 Chevy LB 383 TH400/GV/373 posi
'56 Chevy 4WD SWB
'64 Chevy short stepside
'79 Trans Am 455/TH2004R/12blt/4whldisc
95 Kia (Wifes car)
2002 S-10 extended cab pickup
"God punishes small sins immediately"
Arad68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:02 AM   #69
GRIMSS

The county that I live in here in Missouri has been trying to go after the rural areas also. If it’s seen from a rural gravel road you get a notice then a fine.
Now that’s a bunch of cr^p.
1968 Camaro
1968 Volksrod "NOBACK"

55-59 one piece window Video
55-59 one piece window template files
Jared
GRIMSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:53 AM   #70
caminokid
Chevy nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454_72_4X4 View Post
I agree with you. I dont like having neighbors. Neighbors suck. On one side of me I have a old man that whines about everything....the other side is a county cop that thinks what I do is cool. The cop wants to bring home a Mustang project but doesnt want to go thru what I am going thru. This place is like Nazi Germany. If you own the property you live on...on one should have a right to tell you want you can or cannot do. Is this supposed to be a free country?? Freedom comes at a cost...but you still dont have your freedom.

"Remember kids there is NO replacement for displacement!"
caminokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:39 AM   #71
jayharrell
Gettin By on Gettin By

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arad68 View Post
I respect your point of view, It is about what you like and your personal preference. I didn't change my likes and dislikes to match that of my neighbors...I just choose to live with people who share my point of view.
That was my point exactly. Its a trend that is all too recognizable. In smaller towns these days. People from the bigger cities are moving out into the rual areas, either because they just want to be in the country, or because they are feed up with high taxes and traffic. So when they arrive in small towns on the out skirts, they start to say 'well in the city, this is how we did things' and then gather up and changed the aspects of life that origonally brought them to the country in the first place, making it just like the city they left.

But alot is to be said about, if there is enough people in an area that think like that, who's to stop them.

These ordinances are passed usualy by a city councle. So if you don't like whats been done, then VOTE them out. Get some in there that will relay your perspective on life.

Voter apathy is the real problem.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:26 AM   #72
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayharrell View Post
That was my point exactly. Its a trend that is all too recognizable. In smaller towns these days. People from the bigger cities are moving out into the rual areas, either because they just want to be in the country, or because they are feed up with high taxes and traffic. So when they arrive in small towns on the out skirts, they start to say 'well in the city, this is how we did things' and then gather up and changed the aspects of life that origonally brought them to the country in the first place, making it just like the city they left.
Good point jayharrell.

Here's another one with pics.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=283165.
Row's and row's of neatly mowed lawns and pristine 3 car garages (if you can afford them) that's what city councils want, uniformity & conformity....freedom my Ass, your only as free as they say you are.
Preferred the picnic table under the tree then??

An American living in a British body.

1971 Chevy Cheyenne 10 454

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

http://www.youtube.com/Eightbanger

Last edited by eightbanger; 06-04-2008 at 09:28 AM.
eightbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:17 AM   #73
chevy one
Chevy One

I also agree with jayharrell here!
I have seen these types of actions now spreading out to the rural areas. This is were I live just outside on the skirts of Ogden city, so it wont be long before I am paying too. The post I did here about my Uncle fight with the law has more. When he had his time in front of the judge who was just an attorney appointed to the position of over seeing these ordnance citations (looked more like a kangaroo court to me). The Pic they showed in court from there file was of his house with no Vette or other cars in site. There main issue was the parking of autos on the dirt. Did not matter weather the autos were currently registered or not. By the way the tags on the Vette were current. He asked if he could lay gravel in the area. The kangaroo judge said only a cement pad or pavers are acceptable. If you didn’t get the drift from the attorney my Uncle hired for the 300 bucks is he did nothing for him other than the 300 cash he charged. We have found out that he knows the appointed kangaroo judge “imagine that”. We also we found the kangaroo attorney judge makes his money by commission of the fines dealt out to the citizens of the city to prey on. Looking like the land of Hitler more each day.
03 Monte Carlo
I'M NOT OLD, JUST A CLASSIC!!!
chevy one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:34 AM   #74
grayw0lf

Who here thought we were in a free country? I agree that we live in a Police State. The police have taken any rights we once had. We lost over 80% of our personal freedoms in the past 100 years.

When did the police become all 3 branches of government?

Since we're on the topic of govenment, thank the many faces of OPEC for making us unable to afford to drive out trucks. By the many faces of OPEC, I of course mean Bush, Clinton, Bush, Clinton/Osama/McCain. & let us not ever forget Dick Cheney.

I don't think there has ever been a politician more self serving his own interests than Dick Cheney.
05' Dodge Neon
88' Winner Escape Sport 1750 - 4.3v6
94' Seadoo SP
84' Honda TRX200, bare nekkid. Just a frame & tires.

Always looking for another project or any good deal!

grayw0lf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 03:00 PM   #75
Shane
Account Suspended

Delta Airlines has plenty of one way flights OUT of this country you despise so much.

They're ready when you are.

Last edited by Shane; 06-04-2008 at 03:03 PM.