The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-22-2009, 10:43 PM   #51
Longhorn321
Size Matters

Re: Project: Haulin Crap

Wish I could snap my fingers and have mine look that good.

...WOOOO HOOOO!!!!
Longhorn321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:45 PM   #52
monte0185

The engine looks too good in my opinion. I should have left some of the grease so it would match the rest of the truck. LMAO!!!

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.
monte0185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:01 PM   #53
Longhorn321
Size Matters

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte0185 View Post
The engine looks too good in my opinion. I should have left some of the grease so it would match the rest of the truck. LMAO!!!
I agree..it looks too good. You should take it back out and give it to me and I'll give you another old greasy, crappy one to try again with. You will get it right eventually.

...WOOOO HOOOO!!!!
Longhorn321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 08:51 AM   #54
monte0185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn321 View Post
I agree..it looks too good. You should take it back out and give it to me and I'll give you another old greasy, crappy one to try again with. You will get it right eventually.
LMAO!! How about you just give me a nice shiny truck for my old rusty one. It would match and be lots easier on me!!

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:14 PM   #55
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte0185 View Post
LMAO!! How about you just give me a nice shiny truck for my old rusty one. It would match and be lots easier on me!!
That always sounds like a good idea. Man it takes forever to get our builds done.

I like how yours is going!!

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:00 PM   #56
monte0185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
That always sounds like a good idea. Man it takes forever to get our builds done.

I like how yours is going!!
Thanks!!
I ran it up and down the street this evening and everything is great. No over heating and great oil pressure sits about 45-50 and as soon as you touch the gas it pegs the guage and lots of power. I havent really pushed it yet to see just how much but its extremely responsive. so far so good.

Next step is header panel and doors. I already found a set of doors im probably gonna pick up this weekend.

On a more unfortunate note I found that my rear cross member where the drivers upper rear shock mount is supposed to be is no longer there and the crosmemeber has a big hole ripped in it. So the truck I found the doors from Im gonna grab the cross member from it and see if I can fix it. Never ending as most of you know.

Old 04-25-2009, 04:58 PM   #57
monte0185

Update as of today. I made a deal with a guy that lives a few miles from me. He has a few 70-72 chevy truck in his yard that are salvageable enough for parts. He really wanted my bed cause hes restoring a 3/4 ton for pulling his trailers and stuff. His bed although not that bad to me wasnt good enough for him so I traded my bed for his and the rear cross member section from a 3/4 ton frame that i need for my shock mounts a 72 A/c cab that just needs rockers and has a good header panel a short wheel base frame for my short wheelbase project and access to any other parts I may need in the future. Darn I must be a good salesman!!! LOL not really hes just a nice guy whos got a bunch of stuff he really dont need as hes done with building trucks after his bed (my bed) gets painted and put on the truck. Kinda curious how mines gonna ride with 3/4 ton coil springs. Mine are currently shot.

Old 04-26-2009, 04:24 PM   #58
monte0185

Did some more work today on the rear suspension. I thought I was just going to be able to grind down the rivets off of this piece and put the whole crossmember under my truck well I was wrong. It seams someopne likes cruel jokes and decided to make this section of the frame wider than the rest.

So needless to say after sending a couple hours grinding rivets only to find out it wasnt going to come out I wasnt thrilled. So onto plan b. Grind down the rivets on one of the shock mounts thats missing from mine and mount it up to mine. Also change my tired worn out springs for the above 3/4 ton springs in the process. Heres the before and after pics.

Before:

After:

Any thoughts?

Old 04-26-2009, 11:54 PM   #59
tdave00
Restoring a 68 SWB

Cool. How is the new motor doing? Plenty of power there?
tdave00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:09 AM   #60
monte0185

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdave00 View Post
Cool. How is the new motor doing? Plenty of power there?
So Far so good. I havent really got it out on the road yet except for a couple trips down to my buddies house about a mile away. Im still working on patching things up and doing all the little things that need done cause it sat so long. Engine starts up and purrs like a kitten. Needs a new exhaust though. It has that glass pack sound from worn out stock mufflers which drives me insane. That and the mufflers are so rusted they look like their about to fall off. Theres not any holes just looks real bad.

I pulled the drums off the rear and the brakes look original. Supplosedly it has the original 90000 something miles on it so it could be true or not. No telling really but it did still have the LH and RH stickers on the drums which came from the factory. Shoes and Wheel cylinders still need to be changed regardless.

I am going this weekend to get a power brake setup and power steering setup so ill be doing brakes along with the power brake setup.

Old 05-04-2009, 04:56 PM   #61
monte0185

Rain Rain and more Rain. I really need a shop!!!! Im thinking once I get my other bed Im gonna Pull my SWB outside and put a tarp over is so I can work on the bed in my garage. Its just about ready for paint now so I think I might take a crack at painting it myself. Im thinking of painting the truck white. Easy color to paint and theres not alot you can do to mess it up. I know famous last words!!

Old 05-05-2009, 12:33 AM   #62
tdave00
Restoring a 68 SWB

I am a big fan of DIY. Good luck.
tdave00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:36 AM   #63
monte0185

Well I did a little more tuning yesterday. Timing was the big one and adjusted the electric choke so my 4bbls would work and a couple other little odds and ends. Im pretty sure the starter has had it so this weekend if its nice I might change that out. Upping the timing really helped out a bunch on power. It's sitting about 35 BTC with the vac advance hooked up. It can go a bit higher but this will be good for everyday driving.

I wasnt going to get in it for a bit till it got good and broke in but I had to scratch the itch. I let the clutch out rolled for a few feet and punched it. It broke loose 1'st and 2nd and a bit of 3rd. The blacktop being moist didnt hurt much im sure but it certainly has a good amount of power now. Its not near as easy to speed shift a 3 on the tree as it is a 4 on the floor. LOL

Well thats the latest update. Going to get doors and PS and PB and my donor cab this weekend weather permitting.