The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-25-2010, 12:50 PM   #51
tswore
built not bought

Re: project: what ya doin that for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devillusion View Post
Lovin' this build.......my exact plans for my 2wd, except she'll be staying a dually. Looks great!!!

any chances you could post your frame measurements and go into a bit more detail on the cutting, and box mounting process?

thanks!!!
Unfortunately I didnt document too well the exact cut measurements, but 14 in front of the axle and 6 off the back. Looking back I probably wouldn have cut 6 off the back, I really only needed 3, so I dont know if it was cut before or what. After you get the front cut and welded, put the bed back on, the bed mount holes should line up just right, and look to see how much to take off the back. And good luck!

Thanks for all the kind words guys. I will get some more pics up this weekend, I have made some progress and the truck IS back on the road! I have been busy getting the room ready for the new baby. Hes not due until august, but that is gonna be here before I know it
Old 06-28-2010, 12:18 AM   #52
tswore
built not bought

Ok, time for an update. with what little time I get with the truck (aside from driving it every day) I have got some stuff done. Carrier bearing dropped (still has a little shimmy). Little bumper units pulled off the front bumper, Driver window rolls down now. rear bumper on, exhaust scabbed on until I get the $ for some new flowmasters, and all the stainless trim off the rockers (what a PAIN!), and painted pinstripes sanded off. PICS!!!
Attached Images

Old 06-28-2010, 08:58 AM   #53
menace121978

looks awesome man! i like that alot!

1978 Silverado (2wd, 1/2 ton, short bed)complete nut & bolt frame off restomod LQ9/4L80E
MY LS SWAP/FRAME OFF BUILD BOOK

2006 TBSS way too much to list
menace121978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:08 PM   #54
86454k30

Cool, truck I had an 88 crew long bed that I wanted to shorten but, never did.

My only question is why would you swap the 1 ton axles for 1/2 ton axles? The front could have been converted to single wheel and 14 bolts are inexpensive for the rear.

Just curious.
86454k30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:24 PM   #55
joe231

very nice!!
I need a 4x4 CCSB too
Old 06-29-2010, 08:23 AM   #56
tswore
built not bought

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86454k30 View Post
Cool, truck I had an 88 crew long bed that I wanted to shorten but, never did.

My only question is why would you swap the 1 ton axles for 1/2 ton axles? The front could have been converted to single wheel and 14 bolts are inexpensive for the rear.

Just curious.
I had some wheels and tires that I was gonna use on it, and pretty much stole the axles, so it was kinda a budget thing. Then I ended up getting new wheels and tires anyway. Looking back I probably could have done it different, but its ok the 1/2 ton stuff works great. If i had planned on using it for wheeling or planned on beating on it I would have used the 1 ton or 3/4 ton stuff, but the only thing its gonna do haul my butt to work
Old 07-03-2010, 12:25 AM   #57
p_rubottom

I don't know how, but i have yet to see your build until just now. Now i'm looking for a donor 4x4!

Very nice work man, keep it up!
p_rubottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 12:27 PM   #58
flamingbig10
6.0 powered square

looking good, I believe I like the looks of a 4x4 ccsb more then a 2x4 one mmm maybe I'll build one with 5.9 cummins
flamingbig10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:26 AM   #59
(541)COLD_beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tswore View Post
Ok, time for an update. with what little time I get with the truck (aside from driving it every day) I have got some stuff done. Carrier bearing dropped (still has a little shimmy). Little bumper units pulled off the front bumper, Driver window rolls down now. rear bumper on, exhaust scabbed on until I get the $ for some new flowmasters, and all the stainless trim off the rockers (what a PAIN!), and painted pinstripes sanded off. PICS!!!
damn... thats a 4'' lift with 35'' tires on 20s? doing the same with my 85 crew cab but i just bought a 6'' lift. think i might try to sell or trade for the 4'' lift... looks sick!!! im putting in a 97 350 vortec motor and 4l60e tranny with all the comp. crap and thinking about putting in the dash out of the 97 as well. same story as you though wife and i have a 16 month old daughter and a new one month old daughter. almost no time to do anything! but i'll get her done one day!!
(541)COLD_beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:56 AM   #60
tswore
built not bought

Quote:
Originally Posted by (541)COLD_beer View Post
damn... thats a 4'' lift with 35'' tires on 20s? doing the same with my 85 crew cab but i just bought a 6'' lift. think i might try to sell or trade for the 4'' lift... looks sick!!! im putting in a 97 350 vortec motor and 4l60e tranny with all the comp. crap and thinking about putting in the dash out of the 97 as well. same story as you though wife and i have a 16 month old daughter and a new one month old daughter. almost no time to do anything! but i'll get her done one day!!
Sounds like a neat project. I am getting a set of seats from a 97 tahoe for the front, I had thought about transplanting the dash too. I think I should probably get the truck painted first, tho 16 month old and 1 month old? wow, your lady must like bein prego huh? Congrats on the girls, they are awesome. I have a 5 yr and 3 yr old, they are pretty fun! Wait till they get them little attitudes.

Last edited by tswore; 07-07-2010 at 12:20 PM.
tswore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:51 AM   #61
(541)COLD_beer

Quote:
Sounds like a neat project. I am getting a set of seats from a 97 tahoe for the front, I had thought about transplanting the dash too. I think I should probably get the truck painted first, tho 16 month old and 1 month old? wow, your lady must like bein prego huh? Congrats on the girls, they are awesome. I have a 5 yr and 3 yr old, they are pretty fun! Wait till they get them little attitudes.
i was going to put the seats out of my 97 in my crew cab too but they need to be reupholster and the only nice upholstery i cold find was 500 bucks just for the front!!! i can buy newer seats out of a crew cab for less than that and wont have to reupholster them. heres a pic of a newer dash in our style of trucks... first daughter was planned and second... well, you if your not using birth control you know sooner or later one will pop out... well it was just sooner for us lol
Attached Images

Old 07-25-2010, 09:54 AM   #62
(541)COLD_beer

so im heading down to my shop today to start stripping the bed and all the other crap off the truck so i can cut the frame to fit a short bed. did you cut 14'' out behind the cab?
Old 07-25-2010, 11:10 AM   #63
tswore
built not bought

Quote:
Originally Posted by (541)COLD_beer View Post
so im heading down to my shop today to start stripping the bed and all the other crap off the truck so i can cut the frame to fit a short bed. did you cut 14'' out behind the cab?
Yup, 14 in front of the axle, and 6 off the back. The 6 off the back is a bit much, tho. If i do it again i would place the bed on the frame after I cut and welded the frame in front of the axle, and cut the back as needed. I probably could have gotten away with cutting more like 3 or 4 inches off the back. Good luck! That was about as much fun as I have ever had in the shop!
Old 08-01-2010, 01:18 AM   #64
(541)COLD_beer

thanks for the info... heading to the shop tomorrow to finish it up... its been sitting on jack stands and being held together with ratchet straps and c clamps for a week
Old 08-10-2010, 10:19 PM   #65
p_rubottom

Anything new on this?
Old 08-10-2010, 11:25 PM   #66
tswore
built not bought

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_rubottom View Post
Anything new on this?
Ugh, not really. I havent had much time to work on it. I did get an exhaust on it. I got in a hurry and settled for magnaflows instead of flowmasters, I REALLY wish i would have waited. I dont like the sound near as much as the flowmasters, oh well tho. the last 2 weekends I have spent cleaning the driveway and some pretty serious cleanup/organization in the garage. And the coming weekends are prolly not gonna give me time either, as we are having a BABY ON FRIDAY!! But I am sure i will get something done on it someday
Old 08-11-2010, 01:37 AM   #67
(541)COLD_beer

Quote:
Ugh, not really. I havent had much time to work on it. I did get an exhaust on it. I got in a hurry and settled for magnaflows instead of flowmasters, I REALLY wish i would have waited. I dont like the sound near as much as the flowmasters, oh well tho. the last 2 weekends I have spent cleaning the driveway and some pretty serious cleanup/organization in the garage. And the coming weekends are prolly not gonna give me time either, as we are having a BABY ON FRIDAY!! But I am sure i will get something done on it someday
congrats on the new baby! heres a pic of mine. it has a 6'' lift with 35'' tires on 20'' wheel. think im going to try to pull the motor and tranny out of my 97 this weekend and get in my crew cab... oh and thanks for the info on cutting the frame
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2010, 08:48 AM   #68
p_rubottom

Quote:
Wow congrats! I just had my first one, shes two months now. Don't worry I dont get anything done in the garage now either
Old 08-11-2010, 09:00 AM   #69
BGRAFX
Account Suspended

Congrats guys, its hard to get much done on the trucks but there little smiles sure are worth every moment. Times flies by, its already been a year since I became a Dad. Have fun
BGRAFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 03:03 PM   #70
tswore
built not bought

WOW! its been a while since I have posted. Since august not much has got done to the truck. I did manage to tear up the rear end. All of the concerns of running a 10 bolt have tuned out exactly how I had feared. So after a little searching I found a 14 bolt SF axle from a 97 z71. This has a 9. inch ring gear and should be stronger than the 10 bolt. I have cut the spring perches off and got the axle tubes prepped to weld new perches on now. Also, I scored some seats from a 97 to put in the front, and found a seat and console from the parts yard for 70 bucks! I have the rear seat mounted and done, but have yet to finish do the fronts. The brackets on the rear were pretty easy to modify, but the fronts wont be quite as easy. unfortunately the stock brackets/sliders are different from those that ojoe had. I have a plan for them, but havent had the time to do it. I hope to be back on the project after a couple months of slacking, lol. The new baby boy is awesome, just turned months and is growing like a weed! here are some pics of the new rear end ready to be put in and the seats....
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2011, 05:00 PM   #71
joe231

Very nice!!
I want to find some seats like that for my crew!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-23-2011, 05:50 PM   #72
qu1cks1lver56

I'm jealous, I want a CCSB 4x4
qu1cks1lver56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:06 PM   #73
WillieloRidez

I love the seats in there man congrats
58 chevrolet 2dr delray
58 chevrolet belair 4dr hardtop
1965 Chevelle big block 4spd
88 crewcab 1/2 ton long bed aka STRETCH Lt1-4l60e
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=388445
WillieloRidez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:54 AM   #74
tswore
built not bought

Well, I finally got to work on the seats this weekend. I got the driver seat installed. The brackets werent too bad to do, I cut the rivets that held the steel bracket to the power slider assembly, bent up new brackets from 2.5 inch 3/16ths thick angle, and bolted the new brackets to the seat slider with new tapered head bolts. here are some pics of the finished prodct! next weekend I will do the passenger.
Attached Images

Old 02-21-2011, 12:48 AM   #75
tswore
built not bought

alright, i got the brackets built for the passenger side today. I took some 1.5 in by 2.5 inch square tube and cut it down similar to the angle on the other side. i then attached the slider assembly from the factory bracket to the new tube and bolted that down. I do need to shift the passenger side towards the door about 1.5 inches. So right now the seat is just bolted on the outside rail.