The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-08-2010, 09:28 PM   #51
56napco

Re: 3200 Napco 1/2 ton Conversion

Looks great Bob! I'm starting to wonder if I'm going to be happy with the POR on my frame/etc, your powdercoat looks great in these pics.

(Cool board, so I thought I'd join the party).

Last edited by 56napco; 09-08-2010 at 09:31 PM.
56napco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:19 PM   #52
bajabob

You should post up some photos of your truck as it is a sweet ride !!!

Did you spray the POR on or brush it ????? Any secrets about using this stuff ???
bajabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:35 PM   #53
56napco

Thanks Bob.

I sprayed most of mine.

- if you are spraying, get a GOOD 3M respirator. This stuff is nasty. Only thing worse I've used is the Centari from years past...

- this one is common sense (unfortunately it was AFTER I was done that it hit me in the head): hang/spray your stuff upside down. E.g. I had to put my frame on jackstands to paint it. I should have put it upside down so I could paint the "bottom" from the top & get better/smoother cover. Who cares about the top side, nobody will see 95% of it anyways!

- make sure you use the prep (spray) before painting; spray it on, let it sit for about 15 mins, then wash it off with water. It's basically metal-etch as far as I can tell, things start to "rust-up" (I panic'ed at first) which is what you want - gives the POR something to bite into. Give yourself enough time to get all the water out before spraying the POR (I used an air hose for what felt like forever - this took longer than painting base/clear on the sheetmetal IMO).

So far, it's holding up good but don't think (from pictures) it looks as good as your powdercoat.

Last edited by 56napco; 09-13-2010 at 11:45 AM.
56napco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:29 AM   #54
bajabob

Here's the latests. Door hinges done and dropped off at the body shop. Hood hinges packed up and sent out, front and rear axle done. Got to spend all day on Friday working on my stuff, woooo hooo..... Need to find some wheels now. Stopped by the body shop the other day and things are looking great over there.
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2010, 12:37 AM   #55
hotrod1
56 - autocross

Hey Bob. That looks Great!
hotrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:51 PM   #56
AK56

Looks Awesome!!! You are a good source of inspiration, hopefully I wont be to far behind you. I have a 56 Napco that I will be taking down to the frame as well.
What paint did you use on your axles? They look great.
AK56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:35 PM   #57
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Hey man everything is looking great. Keep it up buddy.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:28 AM   #58
bajabob

AK
I used the POR 15 on the axles. I was all ready to spray it on when I decided to call the tech line and see what info, I could get from them. They suggested I brush it on as long as it was warm enough, as the paint is "self leveling". I used a degreaser, higher pressure washer, wire brush, wire wheel, more degreaser, more wire brush and then the metal prep (metal etching???) then the blow dry.... took most of the afternoon for one axle.

So far I am very happy with the results. This my first time using it so it is sort of trial and error....

ps
get busy and post up some pics for us to enjoy... looks like a great project.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:04 PM   #59
AK56

Thanks Bob, I will probably go the POR 15 route on my whole frame. Theres only two powder coaters up here and they get a premium price.
Summer is disappearing fast up here so I am going to get back on the truck in the next few weeks.
Im sure I will be asking you and 56Napco lots of questions. Thanks again.
AK56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:25 PM   #60
bajabob

Ak
I bought the little six pack of pints as I was not sure how far it would go and did not want to waste it. I bought a couple of quart cans to pour what I did not use into it. I try to have a couple of items ready to paint before I open the can.

Wipe off anything that gets on you or whatever else you do not want permanently painted. It took almost a week to wear off the skin that touched it.
56napco has lots of very good advice on stuff that went well and some that didnt.

post up some pics when you get a chance.

I am waiting for my hood hinges to make it back from rebuild, and I should be able to post up some body work pics.....
Old 10-07-2010, 12:09 AM   #61
Maxxd07

Love the old 4wds, not too many around and they are effin sweet in my book. Good looking build, I have to follow this one!
Couple 70s
One 68
Maxxd07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 02:22 AM   #62
bajabob

Have'nt had a lot to update on lately but things are actually getting "closer".

Got the frame rolling thanks to Vdog with some "new" wheels. Dropped her off at the paint shop and she is getting close.......... finger nail bitting close.... keep going through my pile of parts to make sure the paint shop has everything......... holy cow what about this or that ??????

Was hoping the cab would make it to the frame this week...... but now it looks like it will be next week. But it is close !!!!!!
Attached Images

Old 12-04-2010, 05:04 AM   #63
BC Toy chest

Gr8 work, can't wait to see it when it's done. Please keep the pictures coming.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=432758
BC Toy chest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 05:16 PM   #64
OLD K5

Talking Re: 3200 Napco 1/2 ton Conversion

Hey Bajabob that Napco looks great. keep the pictures coming!
OLD K5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:52 AM   #65
1985-GMC
Chevy Enthusiast

Very nice build! I love that you went with napco stuff.
1989 Burb (D60, 14BFF, 12V, NV4500, NP205, 37" tires in progress)
1985-GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:00 AM   #66
bajabob

Thanks guys.... I was hopin that I would have a painted truck to post pictures of by now, but, between the crummy weather and the "payin jobs".... She's in a holding pattern for now... Maybe in a couple of weeks ??
Old 12-20-2010, 04:09 AM   #67
Spackle100

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajabob View Post
Thanks guys.... I was hopin that I would have a painted truck to post pictures of by now, but, between the crummy weather and the "payin jobs".... She's in a holding pattern for now... Maybe in a couple of weeks ??
Hey man, great build so far! The old 4x4's are killer!
I see you powder coated the leafsprings individually. I wanted to do this myself, so I did a bit of research and apparently it isn't the best thing to powder coat or paint between the leafs. I found this info here: http://www.eatonsprings.com/atqpowde...ingsprings.htm

"Whether powder coating or painting, do not cover the top of the leaves nor the bottom part which is covered by the leaf below it. Either type of coating builds up a few thousands of an Inch per leaf. With several leaves in a spring pack the added thickness will be several thousands of an Inch.

The weakest part of a spring is where the center bolt goes through the leaves. This section of a spring must be held with such a force that there is very little movement in the center bolt area.

As a spring flexes up and down there is wear taking place between the leaves. If the inner surfaces have been coated this coating will wear through allowing additional movement in the center bolt area. The additional movement will allow the u-bolts to loosen and soon you will experience either a sheared center bolt or a broken spring. There is no warranty on any spring broken between the u-bolts.

If the vehicle is driven, after three to four years rust will began seeping between the leaves of a powder coated spring.

For a painted spring on a vehicle that is driven, after three to four years rust will began seeping between the leaves."

I have found multiple sources that state the same thing. I was very surprised by this and kinda bummed because I wanted to do it too.
I'm not trying to be a smartass by any means. But I would hate for your or your family's safety to be jeopardized down the road by a snapped leaf.

Last edited by Spackle100; 12-20-2010 at 04:11 AM.
Spackle100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:29 PM   #68
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajabob View Post
Have'nt had a lot to update on lately but things are actually getting "closer".

Got the frame rolling thanks to Vdog with some "new" wheels.

Bob im glad I could help. They would have been at the dump in Jan but glad they found a home. Your build is coming along great. Keep up the good work.
VDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:38 PM   #69
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Good job on the truck Bob, its nice to see you are getting her done. Keep the pics coming.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 03:39 PM   #70
duwem

Tell us more about that water sand blasting, I have heard of it and people seemed to think its a good idea. What did you find were the pro's/cons.

Is there still a concern about metal warping like with sandblasting with too much pressure?

On the safety glasses, I have had specs of metal remove from my eye 4 times in my life, 3 times wearing safety glasses, once not.

Wear goggles now.

I have pulled one of those little wires from a wire wheel out of my cheek, dont think you would want one of those in your eyes!
duwem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:31 PM   #71
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Very nice progress Bob!
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:48 PM   #72
bajabob

Spackle
Thanks for the information on the springs from Eaton. This is the first truck I have taken this far apart, so I am relying on the great people on this forum and the "experts" to help guide me.

I did raise this very question to the folks at Deaversprings when I dropped my stuff off there to be checked. They have "over a hundred" years of experience with construction of and maintenance on springs. The owner's comment was that he did not have a problem with guys powder coating the springs prior to assembly. The comments from Eaton make some sense but I would think that after any reassembly of steering and suspension that you would want to check every nut and bolt to insure tightness and system integrity on a regular basis. Which is what I have done in the past with lift kits I have installed. I appreciate you bringing this up and I will make sure I keep an eye on the center and U bolts.
thanks
bb
Old 12-20-2010, 06:05 PM   #73
bajabob

Duwem
I am still not sure the "water blasting" was all that. It did take the paint off with little or no heat on the sheet metal but then the bare metal began to rust. Not to big of a deal except then you are back to the wire wheel and grinder status. The water blasting was a huge mess (like sandblasting) and everything and everybody was wet by the time we were done. Luckily we were in a place where we could make a mess but I am not sure I would do it again. I had checked into the soda blasting but the local guy wanted a fortune to do all the body parts. Next project my go chemical stripper with wire wheel ??? and/or soda blasting if I can get a better deal on the work.

As for the wire wheel action w/o goggles.... no more of that. Hopefully I am almost done with paint and rust removal but I did hear the feedback on that and no one grinds or strips around here with out protection !!!
thanks
bb
Old 12-21-2010, 02:56 AM   #74
67chevy1series

well did you put the cab on the frame
67chevy1series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:35 AM   #75
bajabob

I was hopin that she would make it to the frame this week but with the weather and other jobs getting in the way of paint... I just have to be patient (which I am not very good at). But here is what he has done so far.... I dig the color... Its called Marine Blue and is suppose to be a stock chevy truck color..

She might get paint for Christmas ????? We'll see....
Attached Images