The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-06-2011, 08:04 PM   #51
jrdv

Re: Snow pictures

My snow pics for this season.
I got stuck yesterday. I got a little too close to a tank that has been leaking!

Today, a friend called and was giving me a hard time about getting stuck. I told him not to say too much until the day was over. He called an hour later and told me " you remember what you told me earlier", I said " yes, and I bet you got stuck"!

Well, I headed over to pull him out "laughing" and guess what, I got stuck again. Tried shoveling out, but I just kept sliding deeper in the ditch!

My nephew showed up in his Well Service Truck and winched me out. I then went home and got the mog! I got my friend pulled out with no problems!
Attached Images

jrdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:04 PM   #52
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdv View Post
My snow pics for this season.
I got stuck yesterday. I got a little too close to a tank that has been leaking!

Today, a friend called and was giving me a hard time about getting stuck. I told him not to say too much until the day was over. He called an hour later and told me " you remember what you told me earlier", I said " yes, and I bet you got stuck"!

Well, I headed over to pull him out "laughing" and guess what, I got stuck again. Tried shoveling out, but I just kept sliding deeper in the ditch!

My nephew showed up in his Well Service Truck and winched me out. I then went home and got the mog! I got my friend pulled out with no problems!
Wow! Y'all got a lot more snow than we did around Albuquerque. Now I'm embarrassed for my sad snow pic!

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:42 PM   #53
redmonster

this what we got here in el paso, tx
not something we see every year.RARE
Attached Images

Dont be like me be better than me
redmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:07 PM   #54
CG
BlahBlahBlah

For you 4X4 guys, what is the best type of tire for snow? Wider or narrower? Big lugs or smaller? Is a tire that's good for snow also good for mud (not mud bog mud, just soggy grass fields and such) ?
Old 12-06-2011, 10:26 PM   #55
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
For you 4X4 guys, what is the best type of tire for snow? Wider or narrower? Big lugs or smaller? Is a tire that's good for snow also good for mud (not mud bog mud, just soggy grass fields and such) ?
As far as brands go, BFG All Terrains have served me well over the years on a variety of 4wd vehicles and a variety of weather. I ran some on my 4runner when I was commuting from Cambridge, MA. They served me well last year when we had something like 7 ft of snow. Michelin LTX are another tire I've used and like.

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:36 PM   #56
tasian

Quote:

BIGGER IS BETTER! and if she says anything else shes lying but seriously the wider and bigger the tire the larger the "footprint" of the tire will be kinda like a snow shoe if it covers more area it will hold you on top of the snow alot better as far as brand and tread it all depends unless your getting real crazy any decent "All Terrain" tire will do good the bigger knobby type treads do a lot better in any lose snow or mud but aren't great to drive on the street
Old 12-07-2011, 12:14 AM   #57
jrdv

Quote:
In my experience, the Interco TRXUS is the best snow tire. I have had a set of 35/12.50/17 and a set of 285/75/16. Unfortunately, they are getting too expensive for everyday use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
Wow! Y'all got a lot more snow than we did around Albuquerque. Now I'm embarrassed for my sad snow pic!
We only had about 8 inches ( not enough to really get stuck in!), but we got down to -10 last night and the snow was a little crusty! I still like the snow!
jrdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:32 AM   #58
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
You want a narrower tire for snow. You do not want to float on top like a human wearing snow shoes. There's no traction "in" snow,traction is "under" the snow and you need to cut it. Also,snow will grab a wide tire and pull you to one side. Especially on a plowed road with a bank on the side or where there are deep tracks . Once you touch the deep stuff with your tire it's like having the brake jammed on just that wheel. Your rear will come around and you'll be making a sharp turn into the deep snow. There's tires good for light coverage,like an all season or all terrain,then there's tires good for deep snow that gives rolling resistance due to both it's depth and/or to more than just your tires pushing into it,like your axles or even your bumper. Then you need some deep open lugs like a mud tire.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:54 AM   #59
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasian View Post
BIGGER IS BETTER! and if she says anything else shes lying but seriously the wider and bigger the tire the larger the "footprint" of the tire will be kinda like a snow shoe if it covers more area it will hold you on top of the snow alot better as far as brand and tread it all depends unless your getting real crazy any decent "All Terrain" tire will do good the bigger knobby type treads do a lot better in any lose snow or mud but aren't great to drive on the street
Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
You want a narrower tire for snow. You do not want to float on top like a human wearing snow shoes. There's no traction "in" snow,traction is "under" the snow and you need to cut it. Also,snow will grab a wide tire and pull you to one side. Especially on a plowed road with a bank on the side or where there are deep tracks . Once you touch the deep stuff with your tire it's like having the brake jammed on just that wheel. Your rear will come around and you'll be making a sharp turn into the deep snow. There's tires good for light coverage,like an all season or all terrain,then there's tires good for deep snow that gives rolling resistance due to both it's depth and/or to more than just your tires pushing into it,like your axles or even your bumper. Then you need some deep open lugs like a mud tire.
What I have found is that if you stay on the road you want a skinny tire. This will dig down to the pavement or gravel and give you traction. Driving around on the lake it is a horse apiece. A fatter tire will work like a snowshoe but if you're really hung up both skinny and fat just polish the ice on the lake or ice covered road and you're stuck. About all you can do then is dig.

Taller tires keep your axels above the snow. When I get stuck it is usually too much snow packed in front of too much stuff hanging low.

What I do is run normal mud and snow tires and keep a set of tire chains handy. In fact, once the lake is thick enough to support my truck I put the chains on the front tires and leave them there until then end of February when I have to pull the fish house off the lake. The chains go anywhere and since I don't ever take it on the salty road it doesn't hurt to leave them on for a couple of months.

jrdv - that is what it looks like when I break through the ice next to shore. The bummer is you got to get it out of there that day because everything will freeze by the next morning.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:56 PM   #60
snj8198

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I agree with everything said here. The narrower tire is best for on road traction when driving on icy, snow covered and patching roads. The point is to keep the pounds per square inch factor high on the contact patch of the tire with the road. Narrow tires help this by allowing less tire contact with road for the weight of the vehicle. Large lugs need not apply in this aspect as a tire with smaller lugs and lots of siping will lend more biting edges to the ground. However, lugs are nice off road as they help dig into the snow.

Just the opposite of the narrow tire, going with a wider tire offroad in the snow will decrease the pounds per square inch factor helping the vehicle float more on the snow if that is the driver's desired results. But these wider tires tend to track more, and as Special K stated snow banks like to grab at wider tires usually resulting in pulling the vehicle into the ditch. This happened to me in my mint '79 Scottsdale years ago. The snow bank grabbed my tire, i floated up the bank and the rear came around resulting in a role over and a total loss of the truck at a mere 25mph.

Pardon my tears...

Name:  1979 Chevy 001.jpg
Views: 1230
Size:  28.1 KB
Old 12-07-2011, 04:39 PM   #61
Meatman

I prefer a narrow tire myself. They sink and and dig. Like said above, wider tires float on top and will throw you.

Large lugs wont do well on hard packed snow or ice unless they have lots of siping. They will just slide on top. An all terrain tires does better will smaller lugs that are closer together. Tires with big lugs that are far apart are better for mud and deep snow etc.
My 01 TA and 88 Formula hide in the garage. :-)
Meatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:05 PM   #62
longhorn70gmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyguy View Post
Not much snow. This was taken a few years ago at my son's house.

We still have three of the trucks in the picture, but two have been restored and my '67 build is in progress.
Hello ShyGuy,
The second I saw your picture it looked like a true Americans dream of nothing but Chevrolet's. Your picture would look great blown up and mounted on the wall of the front room or done up on your gloove box. My compliments to a very nice picture!!
R/

1970 GMC Sierra Grande 402/TH400
(Longhorn)14 years and counting rebuild!
1975 (Build) Chevrolet SWB 4X4 350 SB Lifted 6 inches
1970 Ford F250 Ranger 390 BB
2010 Ford Super Duty F250 XLT W/4 inch lift kit and Pro Comp Tires
Hub Cap Freak!
I need another truck like I need another hole in the head!
I'M IN THE MARKET...AS IT WERE!
longhorn70gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:11 PM   #63
longhorn70gmc

Here are my pics from last season. No snow yet this season.
R/
Attached Images

1970 GMC Sierra Grande 402/TH400
(Longhorn)14 years and counting rebuild!
1975 (Build) Chevrolet SWB 4X4 350 SB Lifted 6 inches
1970 Ford F250 Ranger 390 BB
2010 Ford Super Duty F250 XLT W/4 inch lift kit and Pro Comp Tires
Hub Cap Freak!
I need another truck like I need another hole in the head!
I'M IN THE MARKET...AS IT WERE!
longhorn70gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:56 AM   #64
special-K
Special Order

I forgot we have had snow,just none yet this winter. It snowed 4-5" back in October and that's because it was either wet,mixed with rain,or all rain:
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:14 AM   #65
Strodder
Daring to be Different

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn70gmc View Post
Here are my pics from last season. No snow yet this season.
R/
Looks like we might get snow soon.
KUSTOM RIDES
FACE BOOK PAGE:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/291198124258863/
1965 C-10 Short Bed 350/700r4
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2016 Honda Accord w/ 18" rims
2007 Honda Goldwing Trike w/ NAVI
2001 Yamaha Roadstar Indian look alike
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting "...WOW!...what an amazing ride!"
Live Life Passionately!!!

[/COLOR]

I AM WE TODD IT, I AM SOFA KING WE TODD IT
Strodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:18 PM   #66
lil hoodlum

Last years snow or the year before. I can't remember.

Keith
Attached Images

lil hoodlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:22 PM   #67
wyo tim

Just playin gets ya in trouble some times
Attached Images

03 Ram 2500 w/Cummins
wyo tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:23 PM   #68
lil hoodlum

more!
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2011, 07:32 PM   #69
lil hoodlum

Baby blue 68 is mine. Light green step side was one I had my eye on for a long time.

Keith
Attached Images

Old 12-12-2011, 12:39 PM   #70
ak*man

My 68 is under there somewhere
Attached Images

ak*man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:50 AM   #71
TFANTIN

Our first snow of 2011-2012.
Attached Images

TFANTIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:54 PM   #72
Orange Crate

Before and after drift busting, I was about the only one out, but I put my chains on the night before it snowed. My neighbor was still digging his diesel out and I was out around town helping others get unstuck. This one fact is probably the reason that I have really enjoyed this particular truck, it has been the best winter vehicle and you almost can't beat that great Chevy heater....
Attached Images

Orange Crate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 05:32 AM   #73
Beat68CST

Hats off to you guys willing to put up with that!

I'll stick to shoveling sunshine!

I get mad when my truck has be out in the rain, let alone snow! I don't want it rusting anymore than it has! I need to build me a lean-to so I can park it under it when I finish it and get it outta our shop...
Beat68CST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 04:26 PM   #74
yellowGT

couple of mine. Not 67-72 trucks but they have snow.
Attached Images

'84 swb chevy
'69 swb chevy
'68 swb chevy
'95 Impala ss-sold
'89 chevy crew cab dually 3+3
yellowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:50 PM   #75
krazy_texan

hey lil hoodlum what yard are those pics at i used to live in justin and dont ever remember seeing that many trucks in one spot now you got my curiosity going cause i need parts and do they have many 60-66 trucks
1990 v1500 suburban
1967 Ford f100 Swb 4x4 "green bean"

GOD BLESS JESUS, JOHN WAYNE, AND THE ALAMO
krazy_texan is offline   Reply With Quote