The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-14-2012, 10:14 AM   #51
noco-k5

Re: Anybody switch over from new car and regret it?

My least favorite car is also my newest a 2012 Mustang GT. I was planning on daily driving my 1970 Blazer in the winter but recently picked up an 04 Chevy Suburban which I love. The Blazer gets driven plenty and is a ton of fun. The one I'm making a payment on sits in the garage for the most part. Don't get me wrong the Mustang is alot of fun just not very practical. I'll probably hang onto it and put a supercharger on it once the warranty expires and just use it for a weekend cruiser and occasional drag racer. Plan on driving my Blazer alot rain, snow, or shine. I've had restored classic cars and they were much like my Mustang they didn't get driven much.
noco-k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:28 AM   #52
Daves70

I'm building my 70 as a daily driver.I just sold an 04 F350 with a diesel that left me stranded because of a broken wire in the main harness.$690.00 later and a tow I have decided simpler is better.My 67 gets driven quite a bit as long as there is no salt on the roads and in the 14 years I've had this truck it has been on many long trips without any issues.I'm sure I'll miss the fancy bells and whisels but the cool facter and ease of repair will make up for that.As for miliege my 67 "can" get 17 mpg on the highway at a steady 70-75 mph,my F350 diesel got the same. As far as ruining a classic truck by daily driving it,I dragged my 70 out of a field so technically it's already ruined.
Daves70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:39 AM   #53
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves70 View Post
I.....As for miliege my 67 "can" get 17 mpg on the highway at a steady 70-75 mph,my F350 diesel got the same.
How can I get 17mpg at 70-75mph? I'd do anything you tell me to do here in
The Land Of The Almost $5.00/Gallon 91 Bogus Octane.

Oh! One proviso....You didn't put a four-banger in your truck, did you?

Please! Help a brother out.
Attached Images

But always a rat.

Last edited by magwakeenercew2jh; 10-14-2012 at 11:59 AM.
magwakeenercew2jh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:15 PM   #54
domeier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpmark View Post
blimey -- your petrol is expensive!!
Yes, Cali has crazy expensive gas, but the naked hippies have forced us to burn a special blend that shoots double rainbows and kittens out the exhaust pipe...
domeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:42 PM   #55
Eddie H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GWC View Post
And which one is faster do you think.? I know my 69 would walk off from my 06 if I could shift that sm465 fast enough.. lol

To me you would think these new truck would do alot better then they do with all this new technology they have now.
Posted via Mobile Device
There would be no contest between my 69 and the 2012. The old 69 would run off and hide from it.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:45 PM   #56
davepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972BackInBlackC10 View Post
i think alot of this "safety" garbage has been implanted in our heads over the years by the manufactuers, air bags, abs brakes, vehicles that fold like accordians to absorb impact etc dont get me wrong im sure they make things "safer" but i vividly remember laying in the back window of my parents car on more than one occasion when i was a kid
There are two aspects to this: accident avoidance and accident survival. Not having had an accident of any kind (my fault or otherwise) in 25+ years, you'd think I wouldn't care about the former. But there have been 2-3 times over those 25 years when a modern car's performance have saved me. Deer jump in front, people change lanes randomly, and my '70 GMC couldn't have saved me.

The other is survivability. Watch this video where they crash a little new Malibu into a great big '58 Bel Air (and don't whine about them wrecking a '58 unless you're really going to go out and restore a brown four-door):

You tell me which one you want your kids in. The Malibu you walk away from, the Bel Air they'll be hosing you off the dash board.

Beyond contrarianism and nostalgia (which I have plenty of) there is NO reason I can think of to want to drive an old car. I used to drive them because I had to, and now I want to drive them because I used to have to, but there's no rational reason.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:14 PM   #57
Hubscrub
Cruzin

^again it still depends on the situation i was involved in the fire dept few years back. Point is I've pulled passed away people out of many new ones also and seen them go in front of me it can happen anywhere. I remember a wreck where a small modern car vs. a mid 70's suburban wow guess who won, suburban maybe needed just a bumper if that, the other totaled easy and depending on what happen the opposite could happen. If you don't want you kids or yourself in an "unsafe" car then why are you restoring an old truck? I'm talking to the wife about getting a old station wagon (the cool ones) and fixing for a family hauler. We are taking down our own hobby talking like this about it. I'm sure the beating a dead horse comment is coming. Please don't take what i say personal i'm just trying to explain a point.

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:22 PM   #58
sneaky

my newer daily driven..lol car 98 740il spends more time down that I feel like I'm just losing out all the time. I've probably driven this car maybe 30-40 days this year, while my old beater 72 C10 keeps going strong 50 miles+ everyday. I've been thinking about selling my seven series soon and looking for a 62 impala 2 door hardtop car to replace it.
I never have owned a brand new car, I usually always run atleast 10-15 years behind anyways...my goal is always to drive a car for a while and when I'm ready to move on to either sale for the same price or more.. =)
sneaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:37 PM   #59
Billett

That video was just posted on the last page.
Posted via Mobile Device
2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L
2024 Toyota Sienna
Billett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:41 PM   #60
sixtysevengmc
village idiot

the newest vehicle I own is my 1996 Roadmaster sedan, and is daily driven.

The lady gets the newer stuff, 2012 SRX
sixtysevengmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:19 PM   #61
1972BackInBlackC10

im not trying to argue wiith anyone, but quoting my statements with comments and videos like that when i never claimed new vehicles arent safe or safer than old vehicles

im saying that the features new cars have make some people feel old cars arent safe, when in fact older cars are safe with the proper maintnence and seatbelts as i mentioned

i can argue all day about the video but im not going there lol someone will always have an opinion or have something to point out
1972BackInBlackC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:47 PM   #62
Daves70

Quote:
Originally Posted by magwakeenercew2jh View Post
How can I get 17mpg at 70-75mph? I'd do anything you tell me to do here in
The Land Of The Almost $5.00/Gallon 91 Bogus Octane.

Oh! One proviso....You didn't put a four-banger in your truck, did you?

Please! Help a brother out.
406 smallblock with 10.5 compression and 195 AFR heads with a fairly conservative cam backed by a 700/R4 trans with 3.42 rearend gears.If I drive steady down the highway it will get 17 mpg. If I'm on it all the time it won't.It is no different than the F350 diesel I had. You had to drive it right to get 17 mpg too.I think the secret is building an efficient engine with good heads and caming it for torque.I'm hoping to do a bit better with a 350-700/R4-3.73 in the 70.Time will tell as I'm just starting that one.
Daves70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:38 PM   #63
LilD

When it comes to safety there are variables. A 67-72 truck isnt gonna react the same as that old 4 door car in the crash video. IMO you cant lump all new and all old cars into that same result. Not saying the out come would be any different. We wont know that until they test every new and old car the same way. You know what they say, opinions are like........ everybodies got one.
LilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:56 PM   #64
ghostvbhc

I switched over from a toyota yaris to a 69 chevy c10 with a straight six. The gas mileage isn't bad on it and ten bucks gets me a quarter of a tank, more or less. I do drive the yaris if I'm going far out because of the better gas mileage, but the 69 chevy is basically my daily driver.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:36 PM   #65
JointTech

when did they start putting collapsible steering columns in? That's the scarey thing in that video. I also think 50 year old rust isnt going to be as strong as a new car. 50year old steel might be but I doubt they did a frame off before ramming it.

I like jumping in my Scion when its 40 degrees outside and throw it in reverse and be pulling out of my stall about 3 engine revs after starting it. No stutter stall, pump pump pump, let it warm up, yada yada.

I like the way my 4banger warms up before I get to the street.

I like sealed windows and no road noise.

I DD a 70 blazer and a 79 blazer when I was a kid.
I wouldnt do it again. These trucks are fun because I dont have to drive a pile of crap all the time it would suck if I had to.

You guys with the $40k frame offs dont count.
My car has 190,000 on it and it starts every time. (it did cost over a grand for struts though...)
JointTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:58 PM   #66
C10_ustacould
A day late and $1 short...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole Trickle View Post
There is no way I would daily drive my 69 and its dead on reliable.....

There harder to insure correctly if driven daily

Gas mileage sucks

Safety (brakes,airbags,seatbelts)

Reliability

I love my truck and it makes me smile everytime I start it. With that said its 40+ years old and has the technology of a tricycle. I commute 70 miles a day and have a wife and 3 y/o that I want to keep safe.

If I was 20 years old and had to drive 4 miles to work/school my thoughts would be different.
Not trying to single you out, but looking at your signature makes me wonder if the 1998 Tahoe is your DD. If so, I wouldn't mind driving a bad @ss 2dr Tahoe 5 days a week and a C10 on the weekend!

Instagram: C10_ustacould

1963 SWB Fleet Side 528 Desert Beige
Milly

1967 SWB Step Side 506 Medium Blue
The Old Girl

1968 SWB Fleet Side 503 Light Green
Ellie SOLD

1965 SWB Fleet Side 507 Light Blue
Prescription Strength SOLD

1971 SWB Fleet Side 521 White
Shiro SOLD

1968 SWB Step Side 503 Light Green
My Old Farm Truck SOLD
C10_ustacould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:32 PM   #67
71meangreenc10
Its a Truck Thing......

Drive my GMC everyday and if you do the right upgrades, it is very dependable. Wouldnt think twice about driving it anywhere, my ac works great, power windows work well, seats are comfortable, overdrive works, tilt is sweet....Got to drop it another inch in the rear due to the bed change.

Smitty
72 Chevy Blazer 4X4, Sloppy Jo, Mountain Climber. Wife says no more trucks. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=707378
72 GMC 1 Ton Motor Home, wife said no more trucks until she saw this one. Gen 3 6.0/4L80E 4.10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=761110
68 GMC Suburban was 3/4 ton, now 1/2.Wife shook her head
71 C30 Wrecker
71 C20 Scott-Bilt As weird as it gets..BB Cheyenne AC Truck
68 GMC Long Stepside. They keep following me home
71 C20 Longhorn/Ole Yellor
69 C30 Former Motor Home, Flat Bed time
71meangreenc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:45 PM   #68
Billett

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71meangreenc10 View Post
Drive my GMC everyday and if you do the right upgrades, it is very dependable. Wouldnt think twice about driving it anywhere, my ac works great, power windows work well, seats are comfortable, overdrive works, tilt is sweet....Got to drop it another inch in the rear due to the bed change.

Smitty
The only one of those I actually have is seats, and I still love driving mine everywhere
2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L
2024 Toyota Sienna
Billett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:53 PM   #69
haminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billett View Post
The only one of those I actually have is seats, and I still love driving mine everywhere
Hahaha good one. yeah all I have is the seat too. I drive my 70 Longhorn everyday 7 days a week. Work play or what ever. Just got rid of a 96 GMC. Thought I'd like the better mileage, A/C etc. (I did) until it decided to crap out a PCM. Irefused to spend another 200 on it so I sold it. I'll never go back. Had 97 Chev 1 ton diesel once too. Nothing but a money pit. I've been driving a 1970 Chev. 4x4, 70 Blazer, and this Longhorn since I was old enough to drive. (46 now) Oh and don't forget the 72 442. If any of these let me down 9 times out of 10 it was my neglect that caused it. The gas mileage sucks, yes, 400-600 month payment buys a lot of gas. Note: my wife drives a 05 Trailblazer against my better judgement. Its on its 2nd dash now it doesnt work. Longhorn still on original dash 42 years later, no contest. I'll quit now lol.
haminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:45 PM   #70
vannatta20

my only vehicle is my 68 C10. Got rid of the inline 6 and swapped a 5.3 from a salvage yard for under 1000$. I had a 4l60e laying and installed that too. Have 2100 trouble free miles and got 19.5 mpg going 75mph(200 mile round trip).Starts just like a new vehicle and runs perfect. Replaced all the weatherstrip and turned it to a great driver. Safety is a major concern and if I get in a bad accident i dont think things will fair well...
vannatta20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:46 PM   #71
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

I daily drove my 67 for a couple of years back when I first got it about ten years ago, rising gas prices stopped me really that and some reliability issues but thats common to any older car thats had a large number of owners. We're now up to the equivalent of about $8/US gallon so daily driving is no longer really an option. My 01 Blazer does much better on gas and on propane which is nearly half the price then its a no brainer. The drivers aids/safety didn't really bother me as I grew up driving cars from the 19860'sd and 70's with no power steering, ABS etc etc.

'67 C10 long fleet.
350/TH350, 4 bbl Carter, K&N, Dual exhaust, loads of stuff coming soon

2001 S10 Blazer Daily Driver, bone stock 4 door 4x4 with manual transmission
Lippyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:19 PM   #72
davepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972BackInBlackC10 View Post
im not trying to argue wiith anyone, but quoting my statements with comments and videos like that when i never claimed new vehicles arent safe or safer than old vehicles

im saying that the features new cars have make some people feel old cars arent safe, when in fact older cars are safe with the proper maintnence and seatbelts as i mentioned

i can argue all day about the video but im not going there lol someone will always have an opinion or have something to point out
"I'm not trying to argue, I just want you to publicly accept my viewpoint without question". Sorry, it doesn't work that way, at least not on the Internet :-)

I don't want to complicate the argument with facts, but check the data: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...n_U.S._by_year

Fatalities per 100M miles, 1969: 5.04
Fatalities per 100M miles, 2008: 1.25

Looks to me like you're FOUR times more likely to bite the big one in a 1960s vehicle than a 2000s vehicle, and that's per mile driven, so its adjusted for the different amount people drive.

Someone asked, in light of my opinions about how bad and unsafe I appear to think old vehicles are, why I'm restoring one. That's simple: I used to have one as a kid, my Dad had one, they look cool, I like to work on things, and so on and so on. But beyond appearances and feelings I don't think there's any subjective measure by which they're "better". I'll definitely drive it around, and there was a time when a '69 C10 was my only vehicle, but given the choice if I was taking the family on vacation, I'd take a modern truck.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:51 PM   #73
Hubscrub
Cruzin

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
"I'm not trying to argue, I just want you to publicly accept my viewpoint without question". Sorry, it doesn't work that way, at least not on the Internet :-)

I don't want to complicate the argument with facts, but check the data: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...n_U.S._by_year

Fatalities per 100M miles, 1969: 5.04
Fatalities per 100M miles, 2008: 1.25

Looks to me like you're FOUR times more likely to bite the big one in a 1960s vehicle than a 2000s vehicle,
and that's per mile driven, so its adjusted for the different amount people drive.

Someone asked, in light of my opinions about how bad and unsafe I appear to think old vehicles are, why I'm restoring one. That's simple: I used to have one as a kid, my Dad had one, they look cool, I like to work on things, and so on and so on. But beyond appearances and feelings I don't think there's any subjective measure by which they're "better". I'll definitely drive it around, and there was a time when a '69 C10 was my only vehicle, but given the choice if I was taking the family on vacation, I'd take a modern truck.
I respectfully disagree, it's not all the cars fault. ONE of the reasons they pushed for the interstate system (which i've come dislike for other reasons) is that the US highway system was unsafe in it self. Smaller roads, poorly signed, no where comparable to todays roads. I live near a major us hwy and i live on one of the old routes that they had to use before it super small in places ones lane bridges one with a curve on each side i hate it. I was on US 11? in Georgia couple months ago and there is a one lane overpass right in the middle of a stretch of road i told the wife i would hate to drive this everyday. Even the mother road Route 66 had the nickname of bloody 66, i'm a highway nerd sorry, but i love to drive them so i can see America like it's meant to be seen. I see every month a sign over the interstate when we go to the flea market that has the traffic deaths for the state on it we are near 800 for the year so far so please drive careful even in a new car. But it's not gonna stop me from driving and riding my family in an old enjoyable vehicle.

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:52 PM   #74
502ms

I still have my Bimmers, but drive my 72 as often as possible. My preference is the 40 year old truck
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-16-2012, 08:55 PM   #75
leddzepp

No.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote