The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-07-2014, 09:43 PM   #51
Kaptain Kadian

Re: Serp system advice

Well, after a couple times of putting things on just to take them back off, I am finally making some headway. I ended up removing the radiator, this helped enormously. I still have to reinstall the power steering pulley. The next hurdle appears to be the upper radiator hose. The current one hits the alternator. Anyone got any suggestions on fixing that problem?
Attached Images

Kaptain Kadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:10 PM   #52
mechanicalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptain Kadian View Post
Well, after a couple times of putting things on just to take them back off, I am finally making some headway. I ended up removing the radiator, this helped enormously. I still have to reinstall the power steering pulley. The next hurdle appears to be the upper radiator hose. The current one hits the alternator. Anyone got any suggestions on fixing that problem?
Some p/s pulleys have holes in them for bolt access, I assume yours did not.

Radiator hose for a 92 C1500 maybe if the radiator nipples are the same size.

Or a flex hose maybe. Yeah, they are ugly but IMO the most durable hoses out there. You might be able to wrap it and put those fancy ends on it.
Amazon.com: Heatshield Products 240003... Amazon.com: Heatshield Products 240003...
Ends example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrome-Alumi...73f9f5&vxp=mtr
mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 11:06 PM   #53
Lee H

Your almost there, good job. I used a swivel type thermostat housing, stock 1972 upper hose. Rotate the housing slightly clockwise, just enough so that the hose clears the belt.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 11:20 PM   #54
Kaptain Kadian

My power steering pump did not have a hole in the pulley for the bolts. I also cut the fan shroud down and it appears to be enough clearance. I won't know for sure until I get the pulley back on. Thanks guys
Old 12-08-2014, 12:23 AM   #55
Kaptain Kadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee H View Post
Your almost there, good job. I used a swivel type thermostat housing, stock 1972 upper hose. Rotate the housing slightly clockwise, just enough so that the hose clears the belt.
Thanks Lee. I think you had told me once before in a pm and had forgotten. I ordered a swivel housing, hopefully it will be here by the end of the week.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:00 PM   #56
Kaptain Kadian

I ordered the alternator connector part ec80 and it doesn't fit. I thought it was the correct one from reading on another thread. Can anyone tell me the correct adapter for this plug? Thanks
Attached Images

Old 12-12-2014, 06:47 PM   #57
Lee H

I used NAPA EC82.
Attached Images

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703

Last edited by Lee H; 12-12-2014 at 06:58 PM.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:48 PM   #58
mechanicalman

Quote:
I ordered the alternator connector part ec80 and it doesn't fit. I thought it was the correct one from reading on another thread. Can anyone tell me the correct adapter for this plug? Thanks
MAYBE this one, forgot what the serp system came off of but look it over it's likely the right one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/88-92-TPI-TB...-/360460065008
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2014, 12:03 AM   #59
Kaptain Kadian

I got the male part right, it is the female part that are wrong. They all look like this, but I need them to be vertical.
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2014, 01:32 AM   #60
mechanicalman

Quote:
I got the male part right, it is the female part that are wrong. They all look like this, but I need them to be vertical.
I thought you were trying to put a 92 alternator on a 70ish chevy pickup. I'm confused so I'll stop guessing I'm sure someone knows on this forum. Vette Vett seems like the guru here on alternator wiring.
Old 12-13-2014, 01:43 AM   #61
Kaptain Kadian

I am trying to put the alternator from a 92 on a 70 chevy. I rewired the entire truck a few years back and that is the plug that is going into the alternator on my 70 truck. Apparently, it is a 10d plug. So, I would need a 10d plug to a cs130 adapter. Haven't found one yet
Old 12-13-2014, 02:02 AM   #62
mechanicalman

Quote:
I am trying to put the alternator from a 92 on a 70 chevy. I rewired the entire truck a few years back and that is the plug that is going into the alternator on my 70 truck. Apparently, it is a 10d plug. So, I would need a 10d plug to a cs130 adapter. Haven't found one yet
OK why didn't you just say so? LOL Most of us would just cut the wires and splice them with metal connectors and heat shrink.

M&H part # 37787 even comes with external regulator plug. Give them a call or shoot them an e-mail to give the particulars of you truck.

Scroll down to page 3.
http://www.wiringharness.com/PDFS/TR...hevy_Truck.pdf
Old 12-13-2014, 10:10 AM   #63
Lee H

So you need the plug shown in post 59?

Old 12-13-2014, 11:24 AM   #64
Kaptain Kadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee H View Post
So you need the plug shown in post 59?
no, that is the plug I have and it is wrong. I need the prongs to be vertical and not horizontal like the picture shows. I am think I am going to just modify the plug I have and go from there.
Old 12-13-2014, 11:34 AM   #65
Kaptain Kadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
OK why didn't you just say so? LOL Most of us would just cut the wires and splice them with metal connectors and heat shrink.

M&H part # 37787 even comes with external regulator plug. Give them a call or shoot them an e-mail to give the particulars of you truck.

Scroll down to page 3.
http://www.wiringharness.com/PDFS/TR...hevy_Truck.pdf
thanks. I think I am going to just modify my wrong plug to make it work. Can you give me the run down on how you spliced your's? I think I got it, but I wanted to double check. I will be putting in the resister
Old 12-13-2014, 12:08 PM   #66
Lee H

Got it. The adaptor I mentioned is for the type of plug you pictured in post 59.

Old 12-13-2014, 05:45 PM   #67
Kaptain Kadian

I saw on the forum, where one guy used a 330 ohm 1/2 watt resistor, so I just picked up a pack from radio shack. I am going to go home and wire it in. I have one more stupid question to ask. I have on my original alternator harness a, blue and white wire. Which one does the wire with the resistor attach to?
Old 12-14-2014, 02:47 PM   #68
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Quote:
I saw on the forum, where one guy used a 330 ohm 1/2 watt resistor, so I just picked up a pack from radio shack. I am going to go home and wire it in. I have one more stupid question to ask. I have on my original alternator harness a, blue and white wire. Which one does the wire with the resistor attach to?

Here's the diagrams I promised you in the PM. This is the original factory wiring.

Name:  ammetershunt.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  36.3 KB

This is the jumpered conversion at the EVR plug, it is for the SI alternator but the wiring is the same for the CS except pin 1 becomes the L pin and pin 2 becomes the S pin.

Name:  Jumpered%20Diagram.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  83.6 KB

This is the clean way to do it and eliminate the external voltage regulator harness. Don't forget the resistor.

Name:  ammetershuntCS130.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  30.6 KB

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 06:16 PM   #69
mechanicalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteVet View Post
"Don't forget the resistor"
VetteVet-what does the resister do?
Old 12-14-2014, 06:27 PM   #70
mechanicalman

Quote:
thanks. I think I am going to just modify my wrong plug to make it work. Can you give me the run down on how you spliced your's? I think I got it, but I wanted to double check. I will be putting in the resister
I suppose you could cut your plug in half, remove the outer plastic and plug those spades into your original alt harness, covering it with some tape or something just make sure the spades cannot collapse in and short out.

I just replaced the pigtail, cut out the old harness and used bare metal butt connectors with heat shrink covering to connect the wires. Some cheap plastic "snake skin" and it looks like new and less resistance eliminating extra spade connectors.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:39 PM   #71
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Does anyone know which gm one would fit? I looked up the 12497698 one and it says it does not fit my application. I also priced some brackets on the ol ebay and found some sets for around $200 and going off the parts list for the 12497698 model, I would be looking at around another $500 for a compressor, ps pump and alternator based on the prices from rock auto. I can buy the entire 12497698 system for $900 and know I have all of the hardware. Does this sound about right?
This one should fit.

Chevrolet Performance 12497697 - Chevrolet Performance Small Block Serpentine Belt Drive Systems. Available from Jegs and others.
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 10:59 PM   #72
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
VetteVet-what does the resister do?
the resistor prevents the exciter voltage from burning up the diodes and transistors in the regulator and the diode trio in the alternator. The alternator also backfeeds voltage to the ignition switch to activate the charging light if the alternator voltage output drops below battery voltage, or if the alternator voltage exceeds the battery voltage by more than 3 volts.

It also prevents this backfeed voltage from powering the ignition circuit when the key is shut off and prevents engine run on after the key is shut off.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 03:10 PM   #73
cst350

I just bought Serp brackets off a 89-95 1500. I like my current V-belts but I HATE the squeal when I get on it, so this is my winter project.

I have 2 questions...

Can someone measure their reverse flow water pump from block to fan flange?
I want to compare with my current short pump in order to figure out if, or how much, I need to trim the stock fan shroud.

I rewired with the Painless kit using a one wire alternator. Can I just order a one wire alternator for a 89-95 truck from Summit and avoid any rewiring?

Thanks
CST350
cst350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 04:26 PM   #74
Kaptain Kadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cst350 View Post
I just bought Serp brackets off a 89-95 1500. I like my current V-belts but I HATE the squeal when I get on it, so this is my winter project.

I have 2 questions...

Can someone measure their reverse flow water pump from block to fan flange?
I want to compare with my current short pump in order to figure out if, or how much, I need to trim the stock fan shroud.

I rewired with the Painless kit using a one wire alternator. Can I just order a one wire alternator for a 89-95 truck from Summit and avoid any rewiring?

Thanks
CST350
what fan are you going to be using? The fan that came with the serp system, if you got it too, will not fit the factory shroud. The fan off your truck is nor a reverse flow fan, and will have to be replaced. Lee informed me of all of this.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:43 PM   #75
cst350

I called flex-a-lite and told them my shroud opening was 19". They recomended a 17" reverse direction fan (PN 591740)

It has a 3 1/4 bolt circle so it should bolt to the clutch that came off the serp system.
cst350 is offline   Reply With Quote