The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-22-2015, 08:43 PM   #51
mikec4193

origami anyone???

More cuttin and choppin going one....I got 6 new to me running board brackets from Florida...

Only got two of them to actually work...I added another nearer to the new 1990's rear leaf springs...

before origami....

after drivers side I think....

after passenger side...underside of running boards need new boxes made up...I cut them out of 1.25 square tube I cut in half and I will tack weld them in place...running 5/16" hex bolts through the running boards to mount everything...all that stock hidden bolt stuff is driving me crazing...I don't think a hex head sticking out on the top surface is gonna ruin it...I don't do car shows...so no one will see it but me...

Hoping to have all this junk mounted up before the end of the week.....pushing everynight on this thing.....I need it to run around outside in the yard at least....I have cob webs underneath it....been sitting way way way too long....

cant wait to get it done....

MikeC
mikec4193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:36 PM   #52
mikec4193

Re: Low buck 52 / 53 farm truck

Still cuttin and choppin and grinding and welding...I had some early S10 front bumper brackets so I hacked away at them...before below..

after below....

installed below....

my super cobb job running board bracket mounted on truck below...

my hand built spliced and diced running boards are installed below....

rear fenders are hanging on the truck box...

I was fiddling with the front end tonight too...found out the the front was 1/2" toed in...not a good number in my book....so I took everything off the passenger side and moved the tie rod in just as far as I could get it...went to put the wheel back on and one of the CPP studs fell out...this is the second time for this stuff...

CPP makes a decent kit but dont ever buy their calipers or there aluminum "upgraded hub kit"....I put some "JB Weld" on it and I am praying it will hold...if I do this gig again and use there kit again..I will go with the stock steel hub and just use their bearing up grade kit instead of the aluminum one...

Oh yeah I had all the pickup bed strips in 180 degrees out...so I spent 4 nights switching them out...I never knew there was front and back..kit came with no instructions....

MikeC

P.S. cant wait to get it done....
Old 09-02-2015, 09:07 PM   #53
Advanced Design

Those brackets worked out really well.

You mean the wheel stud fell out?
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 08:15 PM   #54
rusty76

Cool truck and I can't wait to see more. Keep'em coming because I love me some low budget builds.
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
rusty76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 07:51 AM   #55
mikec4193

altman latches to the rescue

Been cutting, fitting, grinding and welding and as the kids these days call that stuff "grelding".....

gotta love the made in the USA stuff for sure...

Passengers side shown here...

My only issue with this set-up is the striker surface was missing the push button from the outside handles...

Back side show with what I had to weld on to the original part....

This is the opposite side...the actual striker surface...

This is how tight the door actually sits...

I have a bad case of ADHD so this what my wife call me....she warns me to stay out of the roadways...

Cant wait to get it this thing done...

MikeC
Old 09-30-2015, 02:07 PM   #56
mikec4193

Bought an EZ wire wiring harness last summer...ran the last wire last week...had to find a real mechanic / fireman to help me with the initial fire-up of this truck...I had it so messed up with power going to places where it should not even go..still cleaning stuff up...but we did actually get the motor to turn over and give us a little "burp"....

It is so funny...my dad was and my son are very accomplished electricians....me I cut....I weld...I grind....I repeat...electrically....I am dumb as dirt...

Funny how we end up...

Photos to follow...

MikeC

P.S. If dont know anything about wiring (like me) don't attempt this part of your project......hire a real electrician....
Old 10-09-2015, 07:05 PM   #57
mikec4193

Had the mechanical/ electrical wizard over to help with the EZ wire harness mess I am in...no fire at least...not even any smoke....

blurry but you get the idea...no running light but at this point...directionals work as do the flashers....so I think I am good to go....still don't have clue what I am doing electrically....

here is the rear view

next comes seat belts....gas tank...newport wiper assembly....and then glass....all big dollar items...hoping the money tree wont die before I get it done....

cant wait to get it out of the garage....this make 12 months since I pushed inside...

MikeC
Old 10-09-2015, 08:34 PM   #58
joedoh

great work!

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 01:58 PM   #59
mikec4193

Ordered a pair of these....

http://www.julianos.com/retract_3point.html

lets see....stuff I still need....new cab glass...new gas tank...complete exhaust system...seat cover kit.....hmmmm....

list is getting shorter...cant wait to get it done...

anybody wanna trade a Dodge Pilothouse of similar era and similar condition????

MikeC
Old 10-15-2015, 08:12 AM   #60
mikec4193

(deleted per OP's request)

Last edited by 63 & 64 Bowties; 10-16-2015 at 08:07 AM.
Old 10-15-2015, 02:05 PM   #61
Chevy-49

I see pictures
Old 10-15-2015, 08:11 PM   #62
Advanced Design

I did a refresh on my page and the pictures returned. They weren't visible this morning.
Old 10-16-2015, 03:20 AM   #63
Nut Case

Hello "Squirrel" my wife calls me "Nut Case" or "Numb Nuts" not really sure which? What's wrong with us truck huggers? Keep on keeping on, I completely understand. NC
Old 10-17-2015, 07:40 PM   #64
mikec4193

Julianos seat belts installed

I went out and got a pair of Juliano's retractable seat belts for the Howard Knapp truck...

I spent the first night reading the enclosed instructions....a lot of chin scratching....after wasting that night I went in the house and went online and and low and behold on their website someone had done a step by step instructions for this exact truck body style....

I have never been too good at thinking things up but I am really really good and following instructions...and those instructions were A1 in my book...

The most fun I have had on this rebuild is the truck came with what I thought was sanded body and then primer over that....well I took some lacquer thinner to it and low and behold...the original green paint is coming through....I am so excited.....this is the same color Howard Knapp's truck was back in the late 1960's when he drove it around town when I was a kid....

next up...Newport wiper conversion.....then a new gas tank with all the assorted accessories that it might need...

cant wait now...

MikeC
Old 11-12-2015, 02:56 PM   #65
mikec4193

Still waiting for parts from Jim Carter truck parts...needed a hitch to tow junk around with...gotta 1990's Chevy truck hitch off of craigslist...

So I took it apart...took a bunch of hours this past weekend grinding and wire brushing too...

Last night 2 hours on my back drilling all the holes in the frame rails so as to mount the hitch...

On my third gallon of laquer thinner....still finding a lot of the original green paint from when it was built in December 1952 at the Kansas City GM plant...

tonight I gotta try and procure another bench seat as the original one is way past usefulness...

Cant wait to get it out of the garage....going on 13 months in the same spot in my garage...money tree is still holding up so the we are on the homestretch....about $2000.00 more and it should be able to back out of the garage....

MikeC
Old 11-15-2015, 03:03 PM   #66
mikec4193

hitch time in the hood

Got everything mounted up this past week...

rear side view

A whole bunch of grade 5 and grade 8 bolts from the local tractor supply gets everything mounted up....

the big brown truck showed up again...

all new hoses too...

got a Newport wiper conversion last week...spent a bunch of time on Friday night trying to get it to fit....I bought the one to be used with the stock choke cable...

this motor hit the choke cable....hit the heater ductwork and also the steering column support under the dash...I think they sent me the worng one...everything is marked like it should be but nothing fits...hoping to get in touch with Jim Carter truck parts and or Newport wiper folks and get it figured out....

cant wait...getting closer now....about $1500.00 left and it should be able to back it out of the garage under its own power...

MikeC
Old 12-07-2015, 02:35 PM   #67
mikec4193

Back ordered parts are still back ordered....I was blessed with a purchase and the part was in stock to boot...a little over $200.00 with shipping I picked up a slider rear window and a gasket....

Here it is installed...just little heads up...these windows dont fit...well they fit but not like I would have thought...

top right has a nice gap...

top left a nice gap too...

Once less thing on the list to do....So I did order up all the rest of the glass from Classic Industries for less than $300.00 delivered to my house.....I am hoping this stuff fits better than this slider does....

Cant wait to get it done...this project should have been done last summer...

MikeC
Old 12-07-2015, 03:03 PM   #68
Advanced Design

Nice progress Mike. The green paint is looking good.
Old 12-07-2015, 04:55 PM   #69
rusty76

Making good progress. Looks like the trailer hitch was made for it.
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
rusty76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 05:50 PM   #70
wwbill617

I am so glad you decided to see what was under that grey primer.. Wow what a great find.. looks better than my 52' 3100 as is. gotta love the patina.

Bill
wwbill617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 02:45 PM   #71
mikec4193

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbill617 View Post
I am so glad you decided to see what was under that grey primer.. Wow what a great find.. looks better than my 52' 3100 as is. gotta love the patina.

Bill
It it appears to be the same color as the truck Howard Knapp drove back in the 1960's and early 1970's in my neighborhood...

Let's get back up to date on this project...first off the $47.00 dollar screw...I was trying take the center bar off the truck cab...it has 4 screws...well I got three of them off...bottom one...well things didnt go so well...

so back inside I go...get online and order another center bar and some screws too...

total cost

also been pluggin away on the windows...no one local wanted to do the job...so I went online and found out NAPA had a urethane adhesive in a caulk tube and it enables me to stick windows to the brackets that are supposed to to mounted on...

Christmas vacation rolls around and my daughter comes home and I put her to work pulling that stupid string around the windshield rubber and got it all inplace...

only took 3 times to get it in...

so we the glass inplace...go and shut the front door and the hinge pin breaks...

another $140.00 and we are waiting for new hinges...

last week exhaust system showed up....waiting for more brackets tho...I have never ever seen a solid mounted exhaust system...but according to the all the books I have read.....stock 1953 exhaust systems are solid mounted....I learn more about this old truck every-time...still shaking my head about the exhaust system...

busted both exhaust studs off trying to the old exhaust stuff off...manifold is at the machine shop getting new studs and a new heat riser butterfly too....

just found out the original radiator needs to be replaced too...jim carter I think gets $370.00 for a made in the USA version...

cant wait to get it this truck done...14 months and it is still in the same spot it was in November 2014 when I pulled it inside....hmmmmm

MikeC
Old 01-06-2016, 10:00 PM   #72
Advanced Design

They are a lot of work. Too bad about the hinge. Guessing a rebuild kit wouln't have worked?

You are getting close!
Old 01-13-2016, 03:08 PM   #73
mikec4193

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanced Design View Post
They are a lot of work. Too bad about the hinge. Guessing a rebuild kit wouln't have worked?

You are getting close!
Hey Advance Design....didnt know they made a rebuild kit...

I did get the new hinges...had to take the "stay open" springs off of the top hinge to get it to fit inside the socket on the door post...so the doors on Howard Knapp wont stay open...not sure if that is a good or a bad thing...

Got the exhaust in-place....had to cut the tail pipe in half to get it mounted....NAPA auto parts sold me a coupling and a couple of clamps...drilled out the rear frame rail to get the rear hanger mounted too...

I still cant believe that the GM engineers in post war America could design a vehicle with rubber motor mounts and then mount the exhaust system mount to solid mounts...this has got my little pea brain spinning for sure...they made how many of these trucks like this???...millions I bet...rubber motor mounts and solid mounted exhaust pipes....I think they were crazy...we will see how it works...

Oh yeah dropped off the bench seat at the upholstery place...that bill will be $675.00 plus tax...when it is done...

Just found out the radiator is all wet on the bottom 6" of the tubs...local shop wants $675.00 to recore it....Jim Carter truck sells a made in the USA one for about $400.00 plus shipping....LMC truck has a Chinese one for $270.00...I cant buy the China one...gotta belly up the bar and buy the USA made stuff...

Pictures to follow...

As always cant wait to get this thing done....14 months and it still sits....a sucking sound every-time I work on it too...

MikeC
Old 01-14-2016, 02:44 PM   #74
mikec4193

muffler system and door stuff too..

New hinges....

I had to take the "Stay open" hinge springs off the hinge assembly...not sure how else to get the hinge assembly to fit in the door post pocket....so the door is back on...

on to the muffler...this is the weirdest muffler I have ever done...the 235 engine is mounted on rubber mounts and the whole muffler system is mounted solid....so how is that supposed to work...????...never seen this set up before...

we will start at the back...tail pipe is hung...

I had to cut the tail pipe in half as I had to add a cross member to hang tube shocks off of...

next onto the funkiest muffler clamp mount I have ever seen...

I had bought an "exhaust shield" for the bottom side of the bed...I wasn't sure where it went so I figured the closest place the exhaust pipe gets to the bed wood...so I cut it in half...put half in front of the bed support and the other half behind the bed support...

partially pulled the bottom radiator hose so it can drain while I am at work...out come the old one...I ordered a new made in the USA one from Jim Carter truck....came to like $410.00 with shipping and I also got 2 radiator rubber mounts too...

dropped the seat off at the upholstery place....$675.00 plus tax to cover the rusty crusty springs...

money tree is still holding out but just barely...

14 months and counting....dont know how you guys can work on the same stuff for years at a time...my ADHD is saying "get it done"...

MikeC
Old 01-26-2016, 08:21 PM   #75
mikec4193

New radiator and overflow tank

Been spending $$$$ like I have it....thanking GOD for giving me the money to spend on it...

the more I looked at it...the more I thought it wasnt going to last...so off to Jim Carter truck parts we go again...I wanted a made in the USA radiator...local shop wanted almost $700.00 to recore it....Jim Carter was less than $400.00 but with shipping we were like $425.00...

Hope it holds up....

did a lot of head scratching on this one...I had an old S10 overflow tank laying around...

before I cobbed anything up...

this is the finished cob job...

I actually got to shut the hood for the first time in monthes...

So other than the $675.00 seat I am waiting for the upholsterer to get done...I would say I am just about done with it...

So anybody wanna come and try to drive it for me????

I am not really into it anymore...

It is just about all stock....so if you do wanna come drive it....you cant beat on it....drive it like a gramma would...

I am about 20 minutes North of Albany NY if anybody wants to come drive it...

MikeC