The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-02-2009, 05:13 PM   #51
billyecapps

Re: blazer tops 101 ???

When I purchased my 72 it had a ragged out canvas top. It appears to have came from the factory with single wall top based on the encapsulated nuts, but the rag top base did not use the single wall holes. I assume new holes were drilled for the rag top. I have bought a double wall top and it appears that the holes drilled for the rag top are very very close to what will be required for the double wall top my questions are (1) Is there any chance the holes will line up? (2) Does anyone know if a templete to drill the double wall holes is available and if so, where can I obtain/purchase one.

Thanks,
Bill
billyecapps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 06:20 PM   #52
jaros44sr

72s had both bolt holes, single wall and double wall, along the top of bed. I can measure mine if you need

Holy Crap old post

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim

Last edited by jaros44sr; 08-02-2009 at 06:55 PM.
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:10 AM   #53
turp mcspray

Right now I have two 72 blazers. One has single wall, one has double wall. Both are CST. I also have two more tubs, both 72. One of them has both sets of bolt holes. They appear to be factory as they are all STAMPED holes and not drilled.
I have a theory on double vs. single wall. 73 up blazers were of the single wall style. I think it could be that they changed from the double to single wall design later in the year. GM has done lots of midyear changes in the past. I will check the build dates of all my blazers and see if the dates and top style fits in with this theory.
My Blazer build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342299
turp mcspray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:25 PM   #54
mcampbell

my small contribution.......

A friend of mine told me the double wall tops were made from a material GM called SMC (sheet molded compound). His theory was the SMC was first generation fiberglass and when better compounds were available they dropped SMC.
My 72 Jimmy 4X4 had a single wall top all smoothed and painted body color. My 72 blazer 2wd had a double wall top (SMC) when I bought it used. It ruined my theory about early double walls and later single walls. Because it was a low rider I wanted to get rid of the visable water puddles on top where the SMC sags. Found a single wall with no hatch in the junkyard off a wreck of unknown year. Had to drill new holes in the bed rails to install it on the 72. Ruined the theory of extra bed rail mount holes. The single wall needed fiberglass repair for a big roof vent hole, the top was about 3/16 to 1/4" thick. While grinding for the repair the material looked like fiberglass/plastic. It didn't seem to have any glass strands to strengthen it. When I cut the remains of my double wall up it was not even 1/8" thick on inner and outer layers. Wished I had saved the front lip to use for a bikini top front mount but all the steel mounts were rusted through in the old top.
Used the old hatch on the single wall and the hinges bolted right up but I didn't use the struts.
mcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:15 AM   #55
wheatlysk5

Argonuat they get there names because the double wall is two different sides with a seem in the middle that holds them together were the single wall is all one seam.
wheatlysk5 is offline   Reply With Quote