The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: Does your original, factory air conditioning work?
Yes, it works and blows cold air on hot days 47 40.52%
No, it does not work right now 44 37.93%
No, because I removed it 4 3.45%
No, because this was not a factory air truck or has been updated to modern stuff 21 18.10%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-10-2016, 01:34 PM   #51
davischevy

Re: Does your Air Conditioning Work

I see 40, 34 Dave.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 01:35 PM   #52
kehstr

Quote:
Originally Posted by davischevy View Post
I see 40, 34 Dave.
me too
kehstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 03:24 PM   #53
Coley

Smile Re: Does your Air Conditioning Work

Ok...I'm in the 'yes' category because my a/c definitely works...however...it does not blow as cold as it should.
I would definitely call it shades of cool...but not cold. On a really hot day (which we don't get that often) it is borderline on well its doing.
To my understanding it was converted to the 134 refrigerant and I think the compressor was replaced at some point prior to me (don't know for sure).
So at some point I will try to solve what it needs...
recharge?...I'm no a/c expert so anything on this that can be offered...I'm all ears.
All Good
Coley
Attached Images

2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 04:02 PM   #54
F.A.A.benny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
Ok...I'm in the 'yes' category because my a/c definitely works...however...it does not blow as cold as it should.
I would definitely call it shades of cool...but not cold. On a really hot day (which we don't get that often) it is borderline on well its doing.
To my understanding it was converted to the 134 refrigerant and I think the compressor was replaced at some point prior to me (don't know for sure).
recharge?...I'm no a/c expert so anything on this that can be offered...I'm all ears.
All Good
Coley
If you still have the original POA valve then it needs to be recalibrated for 134a and the original tube and fin condenser needs to be changed to a parallel flow condenser. Those are the two most important things that need to be done when converting. If you cant recalibrate it yourself, lmk, Ive rebuilt and recalibrate many of them
Attached Images

Last edited by F.A.A.benny; 03-10-2016 at 04:13 PM.
F.A.A.benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 04:52 PM   #55
Thundarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
All Good
Coley
Coley,
My system worked too but it could never keep up with even warm days (much less a full Texas summer day).

From your pictures I don't see a shutoff on the heater line. The vacuum operated heater valve never completely shuts off flow even when it is brand new. When the weather gets warm, you need to shutoff that coolant flow because the AC is fighting the heat in the heater core.

I just added one thanks to the great advice found here. I'm looking forward testing it out this summer, but at least now, the air coming out it truly cold, not just cooler.

Thundarr is offline   Reply With Quote