The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > Diesel Conversions

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-16-2014, 10:47 PM   #726
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Re: 72 k20 project

Nice work Mr. Riley. The front suspension doesn't look to have near the travel up sown compared to the rear and I'm just guessing that's due to the tight tolerances there. Is that right, or?
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:33 PM   #727
ryanroo

mostly, yes. the rear has more travel because i had room for bigger bags. bigger bags equal more capacity. I wanted the range and the capacity for the rear for sure. i think the travel specs on the rear bags are ~12.3 inches stuff to full allowed stretch. i looked around a bit to find bags that i liked for the front based on capacity(convoluted bags generally have better capacity) and available travel. these were the best i could find to work with. the composite plates in the bag allowed for a slightly longer travel than a comparable metal plate bag. they ended up at a slightly over 10" (10.3") travel. the smaller diameter also allows a higher spring rate for the front at ride height. this is good for a better feeling ride and more control. anyone who has driven an unloaded truck with a decent GVWR knows that they ride like poop. the bigger bag in the rear allows for an unloaded spring rate that is comparativley low to the actual capacity of the suspension and therefor(as you got to see in yours) it rides nicer than most trucks with a conventional suspension.

anyhow, back on the front. the bag is resting right now at a touch under ride height, and the bump will go up about 3/4" from that picture. ride height was SWAGed at the ideal loaded height of the bag as given by the mfg. that is just the middle of travel for the most part. the bag is 2.7 inches at full smash and RH is set with the bag in the 7.25 range. a little more down than up. i have about a 1/4" of safe space in the bump height to keep the bags from hitting. it also helps on clearance with all the stuff that tries to make sweet, sweet love at bump. in the end, its just a mix of numbers than were easiest to work with and fabricate parts with. i tried to get the dump height close to the same front and rear so it doesnt look to silly dumped, but as it sits, the rear will go a little lower than the front. probably better, given that the rear tires dont steer. full dump will be bad with the real tires on there and much steering input.

compared to a lot of OEM front suspensions, this has a bit of uptravel. my IFS chevys all rode on the bumpstop at RH. the lever action of the control arms has a lot to do with why that works, but even the older TTB fords are almost on the bump at hide height. since spring rate increases quickly the further the spring is compressed this is pretty normal. by the time the suspension hits the full compression of the bumpstop, the spring has already slowed it down in normal conditions. an air spring is no different, as far as spring rate goes. but compared to the OEM height spring and snubber, this probably has an additional 2.5 inches of travel to bump. the advantage is that the spring rate will constantly change to accomodate the load placed on the axle. so if i have this pig loaded with heaviness, i still maintain the same ride height and the same available travel in both up and down. therefor, i maintain a decent ride as well.

ryanroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:38 PM   #728
ryanroo

Wow. that was the long way to not answer your question very well.

the difference in up travel is an inch or two. i forget exactly where the rear bag is in regards to bump height, when it is at ride. i will also fine tune RH for the preferred stance when i get the real wheels and tires on the truck with the body installed. i did want a lower dump for the rear for the ease of never operating a crappy trailer jack under load again. if i can get out from under or duck under most trailers as they sit unhitched, i can just hit the switch and lift them off the jack and stow it. that was one of the strongest motivating factors for the whole thing. its amazing how much work laziness has caused me.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:30 AM   #729
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

I get the idea and thanks for the class. I figured the reason was clearance and what not. If you used a bag similar to the rear, you'd have plenty of room for 40's or bigger. Haha But that kills the hooking up to trailers deal.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 01-19-2014, 08:32 PM   #730
ryanroo

tacked them on

still need to gusset the landing pad.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:09 PM   #731
woodwright
Enjoying left field

Starting to rethink the suspension on my truck....... Thanks alot :-)

70 Chevy 4WD "Ultimate Work Truck" SOLD
woodwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:04 PM   #732
ryanroo

Hey, no problem. im here to plant the seed of bad(good) ideas!

i found a belt, even a common one that fits my needs!

Old 01-21-2014, 07:31 PM   #733
sboris

Ryan, this is insane.. In a great way. Don't follow this every day, but check in periodically just to be blown away. Can't wait to see it Rollin. How's the body coming?
71 short step-sold
71 chevy Beauville van
My build.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=633039
sboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:47 PM   #734
ryanroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sboris View Post
Ryan, this is insane.. In a great way. Don't follow this every day, but check in periodically just to be blown away. Can't wait to see it Rollin. How's the body coming?
Insane is about as accurate as you can get. although your intended use of the word may differ from mine... hahaha Thanks!

I was out of town all weekend, so nothing new has happened. i hope to be able to cut the engine crossmember out this week, and get that installed soon.

In the mean time, i got a little sidetracked. i need to reseal the engine and spiff it up a bit as well. i really didn't want to roll it around on the floor with the hoist. i started piddling around with an engine stand. its been designed and we are going to run it through the load simulator to see if it will be as bad to the bone as i hope. my goal is to support the engine from the flywheel end and be able to turn it. mainly, my reasoning was that since i probably need a thicker head gasket to help with the slight increase in boost, and since ill have the head off, i may as well stud it(thanks for all the spend more money pep talks Ryan) i wanted to make my life easier. and in my usual way, much more difficult as well.

i got started today by facing a length of 4"x.500" wall DOM. i need to order some oilite bushings and finish boring the ID for a nice press fit. i also picked up a 60:1 worm drive reduction box from a buddy who just had it laying around. for those unfamiliar, with worm gears, the output wont drive the input. that means that it will hold the engine at whatever point in the rotation you decide to stop. and with 60:1 reduction, it should be pretty easy to turn.

here are some teaser pics

this is the DOM with my meat club for reference.

and the gear box.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:19 PM   #735
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

That'll be one stout nice engine stand! And you wanted power.
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 01-29-2014, 09:41 PM   #736
Vintage Windmills
Vintage 4x4s

Looking good as usual. Are you going to direct drive the DOM off the worm box or run sprockets and chain? I had the opportunity to buy one like this and regret not getting it.

67 GMC K1500 Custom- 305V6 SM420, PTO, Ram Assist, yellow (the outcast) (project period correct upgrades)
67 GMC C2500 351V6 TH400, AC, PS, PB (can't decide what to do with. Update, decided to keep and will restore )
86 CHV K30 502 th400, apple red NEW
71 CHV K20 350 SM465, ochre (saved work truck)
71 CHV K20 292 SM465, white, tach, PTO, (future project)
72 CHV K20 350 350th, medium blue (project stocker)
01 CHV K2500hd crew, indigo blue

^3 dont run and the others don't see winter either
'86 K30 Cummins "Fireside" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=649649
'71 K20 "get driveable" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=590642
'72 K20 Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=493477&page=6
Vintage Windmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:48 PM   #737
ryanroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
That'll be one stout nice engine stand! And you wanted power.
Yeah, Yeah. i am my own worst enemy. except maybe you... HAHA and i am hoping so on the stand. i have yet to see the results of the simulation, but i doubt its going to fail

i think i ended up catching a kidney infection or something, i have been peeing strawberry koolaid all day. but i couldnt go home without a little time on the project. i ordered the oilite bushing last night. tonight i think ill order the 1045 bar stock. anyhow, i bored the DOM for the bushings

i also picked up this beast for the fuel system on the truck(Ryan, convincing me to spend money again...) i think i mentioned that i am in the gathering and planning stage of building another p-pump engine. the goal is about 1k HP. that means i need to move a lot of fuel. i heard less than good things from Ryan about the air dogs, and decided to circumvent any volume or reliability issues before they came up. this is an A1000 aeromotive marine pump. it moves fuel. its also huge.

i have a couple filter heads ordered as well. hope to see them soon so i can try to at least get an idea of the fuel system plumbing going

Old 01-29-2014, 09:56 PM   #738
ryanroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Windmills View Post
Looking good as usual. Are you going to direct drive the DOM off the worm box or run sprockets and chain? I had the opportunity to buy one like this and regret not getting it.
The Dom is the stationary member. Using a bronze bushing to support it, another shaft machined from solid 1045 steel will be the "axle". it will be keyed to the shaft on the gearbox. the other side of the solid shaft will have a plate pressed and welded to it with a random bolt pattern in it. then i will build a little stand off bracket that will bolt to the 6BT. eventually i can build stand offs for any bolt pattern i wish to support. i suppose for a portion of the rebuild it would be handy to mount the nv4500 to it. i also have plenty of GM v-8s so it would make sense to make an adapter for that as well. no more looking at it sketchily when you have a bog block on it!

Old 01-29-2014, 11:44 PM   #739
1985-GMC
Chevy Enthusiast

Order you some “wild oil of oregano" it should kill that kidney infection.
1989 Burb (D60, 14BFF, 12V, NV4500, NP205, 37" tires in progress)
1985-GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:44 AM   #740
ryanroo

i will have to try to grab some of that. i didnt know about Oil of Oregano and its benefits. i put myself on a garlic and cranberry juice regimen tonight. i hope i feel a little better in the morning, but if not ill have to ratchet the attack up.

Old 01-30-2014, 12:53 AM   #741
swamp rat

I'm a believer in Apple Cider Vinegar the stuff with the "Mother" in it that's non pasteurized like Braggs brand. put a tablespoon on a glass of water 3 times a day for about 2 weeks, add a little honey to help with the taste because it isn't the most pleasant. Its all natural and won't do any damage to your body and it will rebalance your bodys PH.

Just be sure to go to a Dr and make sure there isn't a real medical problem and that your not peeing blood or something.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:09 AM   #742
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
I'm a believer in Apple Cider Vinegar the stuff with the "Mother" in it that's non pasteurized like Braggs brand. put a tablespoon on a glass of water 3 times a day for about 2 weeks, add a little honey to help with the taste because it isn't the most pleasant. Its all natural and won't do any damage to your body and it will rebalance your bodys PH.

Just be sure to go to a Dr and make sure there isn't a real medical problem and that your not peeing blood or something.
I use 2tsp if Bragg's , ~1 tbsp honey, and a pinch of cinnamon in a cup of hot green tea. Its actually not bad at all that way. Hope you feel better Ryan. Kidney issues are scary.

YOU ONLY FAIL IF YOU STOP TRYING

70 Crew Cab Build Link

70 GMC Suburban 4X4 build thread

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
jbclassix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:28 AM   #743
ryanroo

Ill look into that as well. i have a local grocery store that stocks the natural stuff, so that makes it easy to access. i am pretty sure i was peeing blood. we'll see if its better today. so far so good, fever is better and my kidneys aren't aching as bad as they did yesterday. i am a quick healer, and i hate doctors(the medical profession, not the people). so if it doesnt get any worse ill stay away from the doc.

thanks for all your concern and the advice. i like the homeopathic way of treatment

Old 01-30-2014, 10:47 PM   #744
ryanroo

the Kidney thing is much better today. still going to try the cider vinegar and oregano as good measure.

got the chance to cut the beginning of a cross member cut out. Please excuse the general filth and clutter. i'm not proud of it.

this is a quick and dirty mock up.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:20 AM   #745
Portmod7

Keep up the awesome work! You sure don't disappoint with the use of the awesome resources you have available to you, I love it!
Old 01-31-2014, 09:13 PM   #746
ryanroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portmod7 View Post
Keep up the awesome work! You sure don't disappoint with the use of the awesome resources you have available to you, I love it!
Thanks! i am glad i have the opportunity to use all of the equipment. it sure helps.

I got a box today with another piece of the fuel plumbing in it.

filter heads from Nicktane. really spiffy looking part and totally worth it compared the time it would take me to make my own similarly.

and with the enormous CAT fuel filter. i still have to do some ordering to get the water separator coming.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:23 PM   #747
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Nice work on that cross member! Is it me, or will the stock pan work now with the engine move? Those black anodized parts sure are nice too! And just remember, I'm just helping you buy the stuff one time. It hurts worse to spend it again for things that last. Haha
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 02-01-2014, 08:12 PM   #748
mx289

Amazing build.Just read through it.Wow.

Can i send you my 71 k2500 for the same treatment.?
mx289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:48 PM   #749
ryanroo

Ryan, i hear ya. i wonder how much money we've caused one another with that helpful attitude? Haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx289 View Post
Amazing build.Just read through it.Wow.

Can i send you my 71 k2500 for the same treatment.?
sure, send it over! i work slow, but at least i'm a pain in the butt to work with...haha once i finish this one i sure as heck hope that i have made all the mistakes. feels like ive done everything at least twice...

i made some headway on the crossmember. i pulled the engine to make things easier. i will re-cut the rear mount tabs. i needed to adjust things a little and they could have worked, but for five minutes on the computer and 2 bucks worth of material, ill just make them again.

i got it pretty close. didnt have much space left to work with.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:39 AM   #750
woodwright
Enjoying left field

I really miss having access to a waterjet.

70 Chevy 4WD "Ultimate Work Truck" SOLD
woodwright is offline   Reply With Quote