The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-16-2013, 06:51 PM   #726
Dan in Pasadena

Re: Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabwe View Post
You just leave Bam out of it.lol
I CAN'T dude, you started it!!

Building a kickass truck after already owning a kick ass '55 car....sheesh!

Seriously, I don't know if it'll ever happen. On one hand, it's too much expense to realistically expect to be able to do it in my retirement years.

On the other hand? What's my rush? I'll have nothing but time. I can find a derelict body and go at it slowly since I'll be able to work on it as much as I decide to.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:20 PM   #727
fabguy
Elev8r Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
I CAN'T dude, you started it!!

Building a kickass truck after already owning a kick ass '55 car....sheesh!

Seriously, I don't know if it'll ever happen. On one hand, it's too much expense to realistically expect to be able to do it in my retirement years.

On the other hand? What's my rush? I'll have nothing but time. I can find a derelict body and go at it slowly since I'll be able to work on it as much as I decide to.
This is why I am doing mine now, so I can enjoy them when I retire because I will be on a fixed income by that time.
I wondered why the WalMart door greeters where retirees always smiling, they are probably funding their builds.

My F.B. project page.
fabguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:08 AM   #728
Dan in Pasadena

Nothing to "show" today but my Altman Door Latch kit FINALLY arrived today!

Yes, I bit the bullet and sprung for them after having my passenger door fly open one time too many. I hope the kit goes in as easy as I've seen others do it online.

Photos and a full description upcoming of course but I will not be able to get to it this week/weekend as I've got a lot on my plate this week.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:45 AM   #729
JR25

Quote:
Nothing to "show" today but my Altman Door Latch kit FINALLY arrived today!

Yes, I bit the bullet and sprung for them after having my passenger door fly open one time too many. I hope the kit goes in as easy as I've seen others do it online.

Photos and a full description upcoming of course but I will not be able to get to it this week/weekend as I've got a lot on my plate this week.
I am interested in seeing how they work out! Although it will be a while before I get to that point, I have already bought the universal weld ins.
Posted via Mobile Device
JR25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:37 AM   #730
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks for bringing my thread back to the top, JR!

I haven't started the install cause once I begin I've gotta finish (at least one side) or I can't really move the truck. I've stated before I have a long single file driveway and "toys" - boat, camper, jetski's - so I can't afford to have the truck un-driveable for long.

I was/may start today but I REALLY need to finish up the weld repair on the passenger side (I'm THIS close) and I'm baad about jumping around on stuff I'm doing - "Oh look, a squirrel!" Lol.

As soon as I start, pictures will be posted.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Old 07-28-2013, 11:21 AM   #731
JR25

Quote:
Thanks for bringing my thread back to the top, JR!

I haven't started the install cause once I begin I've gotta finish (at least one side) or I can't really move the truck. I've stated before I have a long single file driveway and "toys" - boat, camper, jetski's - so I can't afford to have the truck un-driveable for long.

I was/may start today but I REALLY need to finish up the weld repair on the passenger side (I'm THIS close) and I'm baad about jumping around on stuff I'm doing - "Oh look, a squirrel!" Lol.

As soon as I start, pictures will be posted.
Posted via Mobile Device

As I stated before...... Sounds like my A.D.D. !
You ever stopped to think, and forget to start again?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-28-2013, 12:10 PM   #732
Dan in Pasadena

Yeah, well what's MY excuse? I don't have ADHD or anything.

Old 07-28-2013, 12:35 PM   #733
JR25

Quote:
Yeah, well what's MY excuse? I don't have ADHD or anything.
ARE YOU SURE???? LOL

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-29-2013, 02:07 PM   #734
Dan in Pasadena

I thought you guys might like seeing this. I was driving to the office from a meeting I saw this truck for the first time. I drive this route frequently and had never seen it before. I stopped to look at it and the owner came out of that glass shop its parked in front of; we had a nice little conversation.

He's had it 16-17 years. Bought it as a basket case with no motor but he found a 265 for it in a junkyard.

It's not perfect, a few scratches, etc. But its a nice driver/head turner and has a nice look to it - I think. Still running bias ply tires, though he says he's considering going to radials. 3-on-the-tree tranny, oak & polished bed strips, filled body seams in the interior overhead area, it has dual horns - I'm jealous - I want a passenger side horn for mine! Underhood the motor is clean but not show quality in Chevy orange and Edelbrock finned valve covers. I noticed it has '55-'56 hubcaps and is missing the "V8" emblem, though it IS an original V8 truck. He says he drives it everywhere and never thinks about reliability. Anyway enjoy, I did. I plan to drive mine into work in the next couple of weeks and I will stop by and compare notes with him again. - Dan
Attached Images

Old 07-29-2013, 02:51 PM   #735
Kim57

Cool looking truck.
Kim
Old 07-29-2013, 03:15 PM   #736
dubie

I agree, I'm not a big fan of stock looking trucks, but this one is nice and clean

My 56 Chevy shop truck build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562795
dubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:27 PM   #737
Dan in Pasadena

It's just a cool old driver. I guess that's what like about it. Still out there day after day.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 07-29-2013, 06:13 PM   #738
Number 9

Nice 57.
Number 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:17 PM   #739
Dan in Pasadena

I got off a bit early today and since my truck is stuck in the garage I got a couple minor but time consuming jobs done.

Ordinarily my boat is in the garage but since I'm taking it out next week and needed to get the camper off my truck (not using it this trip) and still have room to park everything it was easiest to put the truck in there with the camper blocking it in for now.

The rear of my hood has been kicked up ever since I took it off to paint it - turns out I was clueless where to put the body shims on when I reinstalled it. Plus, I noticed one of the hood bolts had come loose/fallen off.

Since I've been trying to do each job nicely as I do them, I decided to replace all the hood bolts w/stainless button head set screws, washers & lock washers. Fabguy here (Mike) told me to put the shims behind the lower hinge bolt on the firewall - I had put them on the top one - DOH! After figuring out how to do this by myself and with the hood still on the truck it cleared up the problem right off.

Also, I had to use my truck as a truck the other day I cut off a sheet of OSB I already had and threw it in the bed. I am also trying to clean up my garage and noticed I had a couple OLD cans of marine spar in there so I had put a coat on the OSB the other day - 4'x6' and it DRANK a full quart! I gave it a light sand and gave it a 2nd coat today. Of course OSB looks like ass but at least it won't flake off for the few months its in there...I hope.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:27 PM   #740
bobinbc

NIce truck. Looks a lot like the one I sold a while back when I realized I didn't have time to build two. That one is much nicer though.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cana...geChevyTrucks/
bobinbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:37 PM   #741
Dan in Pasadena

Yeah, they do look alike. But it doesn't have the deluxe cab trim yours did. The seat did look just like yours.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:46 PM   #742
Number 9

Dan, what is your tire size and wheel width? Thanks,Art
Old 07-30-2013, 05:00 PM   #743
Dan in Pasadena

235/75x15 Hankooks bought virtually new as takeoffs from an F150 for $60. STOLE the vintage 15x7 Torq Thrust knockoffs from Craigslist for only $150 including polished aluminum center caps.

I wanted 70 series or even 60 series but these were SO cheap I couldn't pass them up. And they kinda give the truck a cartoonish "Roger Rabbit" car look!
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 07-30-2013, 05:16 PM   #744
Number 9

Quote:
235/75x15 Hankooks bought virtually new as takeoffs from an F150 for $60. STOLE the vintage 15x7 Torq Thrust knockoffs from Craigslist for only $150 including polished aluminum center caps.

I wanted 70 series or even 60 series but these were SO cheap I couldn't pass them up. And they kinda give the truck a cartoonish "Roger Rabbit" car look!
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks dan. That is the same size I just got and do not have my front end on. Was concerned they would be to to big but yours look fine. Mine are on 9" daisy's.
I have 255x70's on 9" rims on the back.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:07 PM   #745
Dan in Pasadena

Wow, 9's fit in back w/o rubbing? Did you have to order special back spacing? Maybe I should ask what rearend you've got? Mines a 10 bolt but I don't know out of what.

A buddy of mine has offered me a set of 15x8 Rally's with rings & caps cheap. I want them but I'm afraid they'll be too big.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 07-30-2013, 09:28 PM   #746
Number 9

Quote:
Wow, 9's fit in back w/o rubbing? Did you have to order special back spacing? Maybe I should ask what rearend you've got? Mines a 10 bolt but I don't know out of what.

A buddy of mine has offered me a set of 15x8 Rally's with rings & caps cheap. I want them but I'm afraid they'll be too big.
Posted via Mobile Device
They rub. I still haven't had the truck on the road. The last owner flattened the inside lip of the rear fenders so it didn't rub there but they did rub a bit on the bed side. It also has a dana 60 from a f--d with the 5 on 5 1/2 " lug pattern so the width is not the same. It is within a inch or less. They are old tires on the rear so I will go smaller by one size when I change them. I have two 5 1/2" lug pattern on back and 4 3/4" on front so I need two spares. I hope my fronts don't rub when fenders on. I like your old americans.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:28 PM   #747
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks, but they're not really Americans. No idea WHAT they really are.

Any chance you'll swap rear ends to get matching lug pattern AND narrow up a bit?

Two spares? UGH! I'd carry a couple bottles of Fix-A-Flat! I'm carrying NO spare but I've got a AAA card!

Old 07-30-2013, 10:52 PM   #748
Dan in Pasadena

Ok, so I visited The Truck Shop in Orange, CA today. Planned to buy the V8 fender emblems for my truck but they were outta stock - natch!

But being the chrome whore I am I couldn't go home without SOMETHING shiny, so I bought replacement chrome wiper bezels. Mine are totally cloudy and rust pecked. While I was there I went ahead and bought the rear big window rubber as mine is hard as a rock and cracked, chunks missing, etc. ALMOST bought the "chrome" lock strip for it, but I don't have the stainless trim on the windshield and I want the front & back to match. I keep thinking about whether I want the deluxe trim around the windows? Seems like even for me that trim AND the windshield/back window trim would be gaudy.

But I DID forget to buy the CHROME bench seat handle! lol

Old 07-30-2013, 11:48 PM   #749
Number 9

Quote:
Thanks, but they're not really Americans. No idea WHAT they really are.

Any chance you'll swap rear ends to get matching lug pattern AND narrow up a bit?

Two spares? UGH! I'd carry a couple bottles of Fix-A-Flat! I'm carrying NO spare but I've got a AAA card!
It is 3/4" narrower then the stock one so that is fine and also bullet proof. The wheels are all american s200's and look right.I may at some time re drill the axles to 4 3/4" as I have the extra wheels but not high on my list. I wont carry
a spare unless I go on a long drive.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:46 PM   #750
Dan in Pasadena

Ok, I guess I misunderstood and though the rearend was too wide. Sounds like your tires are the culprits. You think one size smaller will be enough for cornering with radials?

255's down to 245's is only going from 10.1" wide to 9.7". A little over 3/8". Won't the sidewalls on radials flex that much?