The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-30-2012, 08:41 AM   #751
mcbassin
Still Learning

Re: 1969 Short Wide

Quote:
Originally Posted by screaminchevypickup View Post
Looks good mike!! Keep up the good work.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks Kyle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotts62 View Post
Very nice! : thumbs:
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks Scott.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash_OK View Post
Great progress Mike.. you make it look easy… The spot welder looks like the way to go…
Thanks Mark. The spotwelder works great. I think it's quite a bit faster than drilling all the holes, welding and then grinding the welds. Gives it that factory pinch weld look too
Quote:
Originally Posted by brn agn View Post
Nice work. Keep up the momentum.
Thanks Jesse. I know mine is a piece of cake compared to what you did on your cab.

I hope to be on the downhill side of this cab by the end of the week. I keep thinking it's going to get easier once the cab is done
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:30 AM   #752
sgaylord
Project collector

Gotta love progress! Keep on truckin Mike!

Steve

2020 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax
2016 Harley Street Glide CVO

Roll Tide!
sgaylord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:15 PM   #753
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Nice work Mike. I'd like to pick up a spot welder like that eventually. Nice tool to have on hand.
Posted via Mobile Device
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:19 PM   #754
Daaaanz67

Hey mcbassin just finished reading your build thread. I am new to this site and must say, I know you already heard it but i'll say it again awesome job! I'm only confused on one thing and it was the subject of off setting the motor to clear the a/c compressor. I am currently installing a 4.8l in my 69 c/10. I am using early classic enterprise mounts that appear to look just like yours including the towers. My towers are turned the other way Which has the big ears facing forward.That was were u made that little bracket to secure the tower. My a/c compressor seems to fit between the frame rails just fine but will have to clearance the upper frame rail a bit for the lines. My motor is an 06 with the small compressor did yours come with the large compressor? Is that why you offset the motor? Sorry not trying to high jack this build just confused.
Posted via Mobile Device
Daaaanz67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:02 PM   #755
68 Four on the Floor

Cab is coming along. Good job
68 Four on the Floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:10 PM   #756
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgaylord View Post
Gotta love progress! Keep on truckin Mike!

Steve
Thanks Steve trying to catch up with your metal work buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 TT View Post
Nice work Mike. I'd like to pick up a spot welder like that eventually. Nice tool to have on hand.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks Mike, I have had it for years this is the first time I've got to put it to good use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daaaanz67 View Post
Hey mcbassin just finished reading your build thread. I am new to this site and must say, I know you already heard it but i'll say it again awesome job! I'm only confused on one thing and it was the subject of off setting the motor to clear the a/c compressor. I am currently installing a 4.8l in my 69 c/10. I am using early classic enterprise mounts that appear to look just like yours including the towers. My towers are turned the other way Which has the big ears facing forward.That was were u made that little bracket to secure the tower. My a/c compressor seems to fit between the frame rails just fine but will have to clearance the upper frame rail a bit for the lines. My motor is an 06 with the small compressor did yours come with the large compressor? Is that why you offset the motor? Sorry not trying to high jack this build just confused.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks for the kind words and for checking out my build. As far as I know the compressor on mine is the same as your 06. I'm not familiar with the ECE mounts and stands. I guess you looked at the pictures HERE? I would like to see how you mounted you stands. I assume its a 2wd? On my engine the a/c compressor couldn't mount with the adapter plate in the standard location so I had to trim it off, move the stand back and drill some new holes. That's why added the brace because one side wasn't supported. The stands, mounts and clamshells are from stock a 73 and up 1/2 ton chevy. Also have you looked at THIS. It's where I got the info on cutting the adapter plate and bracing it. Glock shows a 73 up but it's basically the same crossmember on the 72 back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Four on the Floor View Post
Cab is coming along. Good job
Thanks Drew. Getting there.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:43 AM   #757
Daaaanz67

I wish i knew how to post photos from my I phone cause thats where all my photos are. Now I kind of understand, the ece mounts do not use adapter plates. They actually have their own plate that mounts to the block. Their kit actually gets rid of 72 and down motor mount/towers and use 73-87 towers and motor mounts. My towers sit right on the crossmember just like one of the photos that you refered to in your last post. I also used the ece trans crossmember and they lined up with factory hole in the frame. This kit seems to center the motor, I think It moved the motor foward a little. You can go to their web site early classic enterprise or brothers truckparts to see the mounts. Maybe another member can chime in on this if i'm wrong. Oh yeh my truck is 2wd. You were more creative than me, you fabricated your on mounts I took the easy way out and bought a kit cause I don't have your skills. This is my first conversion but am able to do everything else build my own harness ect.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:10 AM   #758
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
I wish i knew how to post photos from my I phone cause thats where all my photos are. Now I kind of understand, the ece mounts do not use adapter plates. They actually have their own plate that mounts to the block. Their kit actually gets rid of 72 and down motor mount/towers and use 73-87 towers and motor mounts. My towers sit right on the crossmember just like one of the photos that you refered to in your last post. I also used the ece trans crossmember and they lined up with factory hole in the frame. This kit seems to center the motor, I think It moved the motor foward a little. You can go to their web site early classic enterprise or brothers truckparts to see the mounts. Maybe another member can chime in on this if i'm wrong. Oh yeh my truck is 2wd. You were more creative than me, you fabricated your on mounts I took the easy way out and bought a kit cause I don't have your skills. This is my first conversion but am able to do everything else build my own harness ect.
I did most of the fabrication because I'm tight with the budget. If I think I can save a few bucks by making or modifying something I will. I guess you know how expensive these projects get in short order.

On the pictures, you should start a photobucket account to host all your pics. Then all you have to do is Click the picture icon at the top copy and paste the link in between the brackets ([IMG]paste image link here[/IMG])
Attached Images

Old 01-31-2012, 09:13 AM   #759
mcbassin
Still Learning

The other option and the one I just used. You should be able to do right from your phone is to select the attachment icon at the top and browse for the photo on your phone. It will automatically show up in your post resized. You can upload up to 5 pics at a time I think. They are stored on this site.
Attached Images

Old 01-31-2012, 12:46 PM   #760
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Great work Mike! That spot welder rocks! I'll need to look into one of them for sure for my next project!
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:54 PM   #761
67cheby
67cheby

yep that spot welder is too cool !
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:52 AM   #762
fakerwade

Great work on the cab Mike! ,, I can't help thinking that if you lived closer "Tangerine" would be done by now!!! (why do all you seriously skilled guys live in Oklahoma??)
Build thread "TANGERINE" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=498570

Board Members Met: bigblock68, ol_skool_chevy ,68TT,atvpro
fakerwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:38 AM   #763
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Great work Mike! That spot welder rocks! I'll need to look into one of them for sure for my next project!
Thanks Ryan, I'm finding myself planning to use in more areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67cheby View Post
yep that spot welder is too cool !
thanks Mike I'm diggin it too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fakerwade View Post
Great work on the cab Mike! ,, I can't help thinking that if you lived closer "Tangerine" would be done by now!!! (why do all you seriously skilled guys live in Oklahoma??)
Thanks Wade. It looks like you guys out in the west have it going on too. There is a bunch of skill all over the country. Just look around.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:42 AM   #764
screaminchevypickup
Laid Back

Any new progress?
Posted via Mobile Device

Direct dealers for..

Vintage Air, Porterbuilt, Billet Specialties,Budnik wheels ,eddie motorsports, raceline wheels, intro wheels, Dakota Digital, precision, unisteer, Trimparts, and many many more... Laid Back Recreations.. Full restoration shop and full paint and body..

Kyle

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=574629
screaminchevypickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:49 AM   #765
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by screaminchevypickup View Post
Any new progress?
Working on an update with some pictures.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:00 AM   #766
mcbassin
Still Learning

On to the passenger side.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:10 AM   #767
67c10rustbuket

Nice! you make it look so easy.

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:53 AM   #768
68 Four on the Floor

Lookin good. When you gonna get started on mine?
Old 02-06-2012, 03:13 AM   #769
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Nice work Mike. You are making great progress. Your cab will be done in no time. Keep it up.
Posted via Mobile Device
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:44 AM   #770
Crash_OK

Looks great Mike... Looks like the floor pan is spot welded in many places... I see now why you need the air chisel. You are making great progress.. won’t be long before you are priming and painting…

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Crash's Roof over Lake Home

Crash's 1988 Land Cruiser Build
Crash_OK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #771
Daaaanz67

Ok mike I'm really a dumb a***** cause I can't find those icon that you talked about on post 759. I have the I phone 4. Sorry I didn't get back with the request of you wanting to see my mounts still trying to figure this out. I did take more photos on passenger side to show how the motor is situated with the ac compressor installed. I'll keep trying, keep up the great work wish I had your fab skills going to get a welder down the road and try to learn.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-06-2012, 09:46 PM   #772
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Way to tear into it Mike. Looking good!
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:16 AM   #773
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67c10rustbuket View Post
Nice! you make it look so easy.
Thanks. It is pretty easy labor wise, very tedious and time consuming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Four on the Floor View Post
Lookin good. When you gonna get started on mine?
Thanks Drew. I know you have a desert truck. It should take near this much lovin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 TT View Post
Nice work Mike. You are making great progress. Your cab will be done in no time. Keep it up.
Thanks Mike. Plugging along as time allows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash_OK View Post
Looks great Mike... Looks like the floor pan is spot welded in many places... I see now why you need the air chisel. You are making great progress.. won’t be long before you are priming and painting…
Thanks Mark, Yep there are a butt load of spotwelds. If you don't know where they are because of all that rust it's hard to drill them out.
Quote:
Ok mike I'm really a dumb a***** cause I can't find those icon that you talked about on post 759. I have the I phone 4. Sorry I didn't get back with the request of you wanting to see my mounts still trying to figure this out. I did take more photos on passenger side to show how the motor is situated with the ac compressor installed. I'll keep trying, keep up the great work wish I had your fab skills going to get a welder down the road and try to learn.
Posted via Mobile Device
Daaaanz, I see your problem. I don't know if you can do a direct upload from an Iphone, If you can I haven't figured it out yet. I can however upload from my Iphone to photobucket and copy and paste the link here as shown above.
I think it's the best and easiest way. I just grabbed the photobucket app.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomin View Post
Way to tear into it Mike. Looking good!
Thanks Steve. one step at a time. I have some questions about your paint. I'll shoot you a message.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:36 PM   #774
68 Four on the Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post

Thanks Drew. I know you have a desert truck. It should take near this much lovin.
Rust wise no. Some idiot must have jacked the truck up using the cab corners back in the day. Should be fun.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:18 PM   #775
Bowtie468

Mike , your metal work is looking great !!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
----------------------------------
1979 C10 Silverado Big10 SWB
Factory 454/400
Cardinal Red/Santa Fe Tan (original paint)

1969 Camaro X44 LS swap

1968 C10 SWB Fleetside (SOLD)
468BBC MultiPort TPI / Dynamic EFI P4
Black/Black

1963 Nova SS convertible (SOLD)
194 I6/ PowerGlide
Bowtie468 is offline   Reply With Quote