The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading > 4x4 Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-04-2015, 08:10 PM   #776
DWilbur

Re: Rat repair.

Red Neck off roaders do it that way. No doors no tailgate pretty much anything with hinges just leave it off.
DWilbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:02 PM   #777
ryanroo

Yes, yes they do.

ryanroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:15 AM   #778
swamp rat

My post in Facebook..

In bed at 2am, 3:30 up with acid reflux, alarm at 6:30, that damn repair compressor man better be at the moment the clock strikes 8am!

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 02:23 PM   #779
swamp rat

The service tech was in my driveway at 7:45.. Turns out he used to work with the main service guy at the Quincy factory so as soon as he found the problem he was on the phone with the guy.

Ya know its hard for a seal to do its job when its not installed at the factory...... Yep you guessed it, the seal was non existent! the pic's even show the bearing with blue paint... After the service tech installed the seal he did an oil change, even added a ball valve on the drain for me at no charge, he also recommended that the compressor have a new valve kit installed in the pump as he felt there was a little too much crank case pressure coming out the crank vent, hopefully Quincy will cover that valve kit as well.

Part of me wants to fight for a new compressor due to shipping and running without the seal but i do know there units are really well built and the chances of anything larger than dust getting in are pretty slim. On a side note they can take any compressor number and trace the entire manufacture right down to the employee that should have installed the seal
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 05-06-2015, 05:09 PM   #780
rgunlock

Glad this morning turned out to be a good experience.

78 GMC K15 SWB, 350/NV4500/NP205/4.10s Project Hazel
71 GMC C25 350/TH400 - Project Angie
59 Chevy SWB Stepside (next in line? Not sure now )
2001 GMC Sierra K2500
rgunlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 05:40 PM   #781
DWilbur

That's great the problem is just the seal. your lucky that you did not have to take some where to get fixed.
DWilbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 06:16 PM   #782
7dee2

So good, now it'll be good to go for a long time. BTW that was some great in home service it sounds like to me.
72 Cheyenne/K30 Super 133" DRW SOLD Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=645614
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@6dee7-7dee2
7dee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 09:07 PM   #783
ryanroo

That's a huge biff. I bet that dude feels like a dope when he gets called to the office...

Glad it's fixed and glad to hear of good customer service. That can be hard to find some times.

Back on the rat!

ryanroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 09:42 PM   #784
swamp rat

Thanks guys! The company that came out normally works on much larger Quincy twin screw type stuff in industrial settings, he called my compressor a little compressor LOL!

The service tech did recommend that the valves (reed type? i forgot) be changed out and wrote that on the repair order, he's going to talk to his boss and then his boss will talk to Quincy about that, his reasoning is he did think there was slightly excessive crank pressure at the vent, but at least it was comming out of the vent! That got me wondering what else would cause crank pressure, if course piston ring blowby... I hope that whoever biffed on the seal didn't biff it on the piston rings too.. Lets hope not!

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 05-08-2015, 12:55 AM   #785
swamp rat

I didn't get back to the 72 door today but instead i took a little road trip and picked up these 67 doors for my waiting in the wings 67 project.. the color is the same as the cab i picked up and real close to the longbed too.

Also about 2 weeks ago i ordered a spool of easb easy grind .023 wire, installed today, i cant believe i had a brain fart, i had bought a small spool of .023 wire long ago to start the body work, i forgot to change it out before i started on the gas filler and cover, not to mention the filler door... still had the .035 in it, Duh...
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 05-08-2015, 07:53 AM   #786
mcbassin
Still Learning

Crazy deal about the seal on the compressor. It may have been assembled on a Monday.
Nice score on the doors.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 09:40 PM   #787
gdavis

nice find on the doors. I did all my patches with .30 and .35 that is all my welder would fit. so Good luck George

Cars I owned in the past.
1962 chev II Nova - 1965 Chevelle SS - (2)1966 Chevelle SS 1965 chev C10 57 belair chev
1967 Chevelle SS - 1969 Chevelle SS - 1972 Chevelle SS

1967 Buick electra 225 1995 Harley Davidson bager

What does not kill you will make you stronger

1968 c10 short wheel base stepper
gdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 04:04 AM   #788
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdavis View Post
nice find on the doors. I did all my patches with .30 and .35 that is all my welder would fit. so Good luck George
Hi George good to see ya round! best of luck with that engine.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 05-14-2015, 05:01 AM   #789
swamp rat

Ok i have been a little scarce, been working a bit of OT again and admittedly i have been fighting that 2nd shift rutt, cant fall asleep till past 2 every night ect..

But i have been researching and asking questions both in PM's and in the body and paint folder, following Vic's advice i found myself a small angle and put my shrinker (i bought a shrinker and stretcher last holiday season) on one leg and put a bit of a curve in it clamped it in place and drilled 5 holes and pop riveted it on (no Cleco's yet)

Then i started working the repair panel to size, now i never rolled an edge on a body panel before and was very concerned that i keep it straight so i improvised a little, i cut a piece of square stock to fit along the lower lip and clamped it in place and brought the lip to a 90 while keeping the radius consistent, now the next thing would make a body shop guy laugh his head off, with no other smaller angles to use i took a strip of oak and sanded a beveled edge to it then continued to roll the edge over in 3 stages sanding more of an angle every pass, stopped about 25-30 degrees, then i felt confidant that i could flatten it and not mess the edge up.

The inner door corner repair did change contour a bit so i had to bump the metal around to restore the contour the door had before i started, I also had to shrink the flange on the skin to match the door, i watched a video a while back and the guy traced contour templets so i did as well.

One of these day's i'll remember how to get the pic's in the correct order.

Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 05-14-2015, 05:05 AM   #790
swamp rat

Now whats left is I need to roll the front edge over and i'm still having to deal with that extra length it has, not too sure how nice its gonna look when i'm done, I still need to take the door out and blast the inside and treat the rust, but its been raining so hopefully this weekend.. once thats done i'll tack the skin in place and mount the door.
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 05-16-2015, 12:41 PM   #791
57taskforce
All about them K’s

I didn't read it all but I looked at the pictures and skimmed thru the thread. Pretty cool truck. My hats off to anyone who is willing to save an old K/20! I'll get you the part numbers as soon as the dang rain goes away!
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 01:41 PM   #792
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57taskforce View Post
I didn't read it all but I looked at the pictures and skimmed thru the thread. Pretty cool truck. My hats off to anyone who is willing to save an old K/20! I'll get you the part numbers as soon as the dang rain goes away!
Thanks for stopping by!

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 05-16-2015, 01:52 PM   #793
swamp rat

Working again this weekend, spending a little time with the wife before work.

I think what i'm gonna try on Monday is to mark where the fold should be and then start folding the edge over on the workbench first, then put it back on and tack it, then finish rolling the edge. I always thought that the skin was rolled tight on the inner edge of these doors so you would have something to roll the edge against, not the case at least with my truck.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 05-16-2015, 03:14 PM   #794
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
Working again this weekend, spending a little time with the wife before work.

I think what i'm gonna try on Monday is to mark where the fold should be and then start folding the edge over on the workbench first, then put it back on and tack it, then finish rolling the edge. I always thought that the skin was rolled tight on the inner edge of these doors so you would have something to roll the edge against, not the case at least with my truck.
Mike,

You might want to check out this video. It's an Aussie demonstrating how to repair rusted corners on doors. Around the 12 min. mark, he begins to roll the lip on the patch over the door shell... similar to the technique for attaching a full door skin or patch panel. There are certainly other methods, most requiring more expensive tools, but carefully working with the right hammer and dolly can get the job done.
Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 01:45 AM   #795
swamp rat

Thanks for the link Vic, i know your pushing that deadline so doing my best not to keep asking you questions right now, my HF body kit has a similar dolley, just not sure about the shape on the tip of it being the same, i may wanna do a little fine tuning on that thing. I think i'll go back and read sevt chevelle's What's hiding in the tool box threads

I have come to the conclusion that i wish our doors had a squair corner rather than the radiused corners, i think they are much easyer to work with.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's

Last edited by swamp rat; 05-17-2015 at 02:25 AM.
Old 05-21-2015, 02:54 AM   #796
swamp rat

I have been stuck trying to figure how to have the skin mounted on the door and get some type of backing dolley in the correct place to reposition the skin edge while dealing with the inner shell flanges not being true to the required bend and also in the way of the dolley, i couldn't get outta the box so to speak... Some time later and a couple weekends of OT I read a thread where one of our resident body metal masters affixed a rear corner to the cab and the front bend was way off, so he marked it where it needed to be bent with tape, removed it first then hammer and dollied it over, probably holding it with his legs i assume, I finally had that light bulb moment, Well lets just take the skin off the door after marking the bend line with some tape, lay the skin on the bench and clamp it carefully and hold a dolly to it and hammer the edge over.... Such a simple thing....I feel like an idiot.

Now that said i was real careful about following my tape line but as it was being folded over it shortened the length of the skin a little, I should have known better, I tried to open it a little and massage it over but it wasn't cooperating so i guess when i do weld it on i'll have to add a little weld to the side of the skin and smooth it out.

I also sand blasted lightly on the rusty areas on the inner shell, discovered that the other inner corner needed to be replaced too so i got to try out the EASB .023 easy grind wire, i think this is going to help a lot. Still have to do some touch up before i remount the door and fit it all up.
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 05-25-2015, 11:30 PM   #797
swamp rat

So as posted above i bought a small angle and used my shrinker to put a slight curve in it then drilled some holes and pop rivited it on place. I finally got to working in it the other day and i drilled some holes so i could weld the angle to the upper skin before joining the two skins together, i'm not sure why but i welded a couple holes on the end then drilled the pop rivet out and as soon as i removed the pop rivet the angle and skin separated, not sure why that happened, i decided to remove the angle and re clean it and the skin then put it back together, this time i welded 5 holes with the same result, still don't know why the weld wouldn't stick to the angle, it is magnetic, it was clean bare metal even on the back side of the skin, i'm left scratching my head, don't know if maybe its just a heat and feed setting but if i used much more i would have just burned holes in the skin i think...

So i decided to give up the angle approach and got out my little harbor freight butt weld clamps and ran a spot weld about every 3 inches across the skin, now i'm at the same place i was at with the gas door where i didn't planish the welds and the skin sunk in.. So I've been trying to figure out how i'm going to be able to back up the spot welds with a dolly and somehow reach around and swing a hammer on the skin side to planish the welds, man i'm just not seeing it, I'm looking at the inner opening and where i'd need to be to swing a hammer, the only thing i can think of would be to weld a handle onto a dolly and somehow maneuver the dolly in place, but even that seems like an impossibility looking at the inside opening.

EDIT: I did have a wet rag and cooled each spot weld completely before doing a second weld, something i didn't do on the gas door, wondering if this alone would keep the shrinkage at bay enough to not have to cut the inner open?

Now i'm thinking what may be the only viable alternative would be to cut a rectangle opening in the bottom of the door just large enough to get a dolly thru with a handle welded to it. Man i hate to cut into a perfectly good, rust free inner door bottom!
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's

Last edited by swamp rat; 05-26-2015 at 05:23 AM.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:45 PM   #798
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Nice work!

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 12:48 PM   #799
NONHOG

Would something like this work?

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/spoo...FYOTfgoddVUASA
Old 05-26-2015, 07:09 PM   #800
Vic1947

It's a shame the angle piece didn't work out, Mike. As you're seeing, a long unsupported run of thin sheet metal is a bear to keep straight. Even when I weld a few short stretches and walk away, there's enough heat to warp the metal somewhat. Quenching the hot spots with water shrinks the metal, which is only a good thing if the area is crowned. I try to stay with the hammer and dolly until the last weld is done. Then use a shrinking disc or stud welder tip to heat the crowned spots and quickly quench with a cold wet rag. Some guys can work magic with an acetylene torch, but I always overdo it so I avoid that technique.

Sometimes access to the back of the panel with a dolly is a function of how the door is positioned. For instance, if I lay it flat on my scissor stands, the top is accessible, but the underside requires a triple jointed arm which I don't have. If, however, I stand the door on the top of the window frame and stand at one end or the other, I can comfortably reach both sides of the panel. At least I can hold a dolly on the inside and hammer on the outside. If I need to work out a low spot and have no room to swing a hammer I try to use wood blocks and a prybar. As a last resort I grab the stud welder and spot pull pins to the low area - which understandably isn't an option for everyone.

Just keep rubbing on it and work to get it close. For most of us, bondo is our friend. A true metal man can drastically reduce the amount of plastic filler needed, but I don't know anyone that can eliminate it completely.
Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote