The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-23-2014, 09:56 PM   #826
special-K
Special Order

Re: Whose on Steelies? Post 'em up!

Unless they've started since I last checked, Wheel Vintiques doesn't offer wheels in 6-lug. They are primarily a car wheel company. Fortunately there are cars with 5 on 5. I'm sure by now they'd be making wheels for GM Trucks, since their following has gone viral. (Jeez, I hate that catch phrase...sorry )

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:27 PM   #827
kitsbeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalstarpdr View Post
All three trucks were long beds when I got them. The green truck is a c20 custom camper. I bought all the trucks with the intention on leaving the factory paint. I modified how I did the outer bedsides to minimize the metal distortion and push the section lines to the edge so when they rust they don't stand out as much. The final product is much easier to work with if painting is desired or or left alone like I have done.
Globalstar you should do a thread for us on your shortening method. Looks sweet.! and we could keep our patina..!

1967 C10 LWB (now SWB) Fleetside 6cyl Saginaw three-on-the-tree "No Frills"
kitsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:52 PM   #828
globalstarpdr

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsbeach View Post
Globalstar you should do a thread for us on your shortening method. Looks sweet.! and we could keep our patina..!
Thanks for the feedback. I'm a body man by trade so I have some background in sectioning. I was lucky to find all three trucks with original paint and I knew I wanted it to stay that way. I just pushed the section lines to the end to save as much paint as possible. The inside bed sections are as you would normally see in a post on here. I did the green truck as a test on fleet sides and it actually went faster than I expected. I will post some of the photos but I make a much better body man than IT person. I have only been able to post one photo at a time. Good news is my wife is a IT guru so there is hope.
globalstarpdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:54 PM   #829
globalstarpdr

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsbeach View Post
Some photos
Attached Images

Old 11-23-2014, 11:56 PM   #830
globalstarpdr

Another photo
Attached Images

Old 11-24-2014, 12:03 AM   #831
globalstarpdr

Quote:
Another photo
Sorry I didn't take a lot of in process photos but this is the basic idea front or rear. The section on the inside of the bed is the measured section. I leave the outside flap intact and slide the tail cap under the outside section. Once in proper position I cut the two outer overlapping pieces together with a cut off wheel making the section line perfect. The maker light makes for an interesting twist to move but the foundation is the same front or rear. If you don't want the stake pocket or market lamp your life will get a whole lot easier. Tack every couple of inches and weld the seam moving from segment to segment to minimize distortion. It's easy.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:08 AM   #832
globalstarpdr

Quote:
Sorry I didn't take a lot of in process photos but this is the basic idea front or rear. The section on the inside of the bed is the measured section. I leave the outside flap intact and slide the tail cap under the outside section. Once in proper position I cut the two outer overlapping pieces together with a cut off wheel making the section line perfect. The maker light makes for an interesting twist to move but the foundation is the same front or rear. If you don't want the stake pocket or market lamp your life will get a whole lot easier. Tack every couple of inches and weld the seam moving from segment to segment to minimize distortion. It's easy.
The rear cap cut line. I then slip this under the flap.
Attached Images

Old 11-24-2014, 12:12 AM   #833
globalstarpdr

Quote:
The welding process. After welding the seam I put the marker lam pocket back in. Like I said if you don't want marker lamps or stake pockets you are going to love this process. My 67 did not have marker lamps and I was all smiles.
Attached Images

Old 11-24-2014, 12:20 AM   #834
globalstarpdr

The step side in process. The stepper is a different animal. No easy way on that one. You just do it where the curves stop
Attached Images

Old 11-24-2014, 03:47 AM   #835
Gravityamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I think I already said something similar back at the beginning of this thread, which is why I was hoping to not come off as being crappy. I said something again because the meaning appeared to be getting lost again.

Thank you, brother. Peace to you,too. What a wonderful world it would be if more people wished peace upon one another more. I was hoping I worded my post in a way to be informative w/o being offensive to those who apparently don't know what a "steelie" is. I guess I wasn't clear enough because now you think a steelie is a hubcap, you seem to be offended, and you think you made me look dumb. Sorry, no harm intended, but you're wrong x3. Steelies are wheels and hubcaps (or wheelcovers) mount on them. Some run them open and some run caps/covers. Learning is good, right?
I guess I wasn't clear enough because now you think a steelie is a hubcap, you seem to be offended, and you think you made me look dumb.

Wrong on all counts there . You were clear , I don't think a steelie is a hubcap (although a steelie has to accept a hubcap ) I don't think you look dumb , I have never seen you and I am not one judge nor do I care how you dress ,dumb or not . Your exact words were "It makes us look dumb " I believe . Your words not mine .

You do realize the part about how you dress is a joke right ?

I hope so geez you need to relax a bit I won't say another word other than dude , all I did was try and correct a mistake I made . So if your done acting like an old lady get over it . ..... High five ! hand shake ? knuckle bump?

Peace
Gravityamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:56 AM   #836
special-K
Special Order

I guess I need to do some quoting here, then I'm done. I know you are new here, so I'd like to welcome you here and hope you and me can get along after this rough start. This site doesn't allow pee contests and we are asked to move on. What happened was 2 pages back. That isn't moving on. I felt your reply to my informative post was unnecessary (and I'm sure staff will agree). It also had an unfriendly tone and makes it appear (to me) that you are the one who got offended. I apologize, but I stated in my first line what my intentions were and were not. Most all us come here, basically, for these reasons... it's friendly & fun and it's is by far the best site on the web to get info on classic GM trucks. That's where my, "It makes us look dumb", comment came from. If people come here who know what a steelie is and see a thread several pages long asking to see steelies it would appear we don't know our stuff if we have dozens of wheels that are steel show but not steelies run wildly with no attempt to correct it would make us (meaning our website) look less knowledgeable than we actually are. If they see it corrected, and others agreeing, it's damage control. There's a lot of pride for this site by it's members, it's not that any of us are overly concerned with how we look to others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravityamp View Post
Did not mean to make you look dumb...... I was under the impression steelies was a steel wheel not a hubcap

Thank you for the info and clarification

Peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravityamp View Post
I guess I wasn't clear enough because now you think a steelie is a hubcap, you seem to be offended, and you think you made me look dumb.

Wrong on all counts there . You were clear , I don't think a steelie is a hubcap (although a steelie has to accept a hubcap ) I don't think you look dumb , I have never seen you and I am not one judge nor do I care how you dress ,dumb or not . Your exact words were "It makes us look dumb " I believe . Your words not mine .

You do realize the part about how you dress is a joke right ?

I hope so geez you need to relax a bit I won't say another word other than dude , all I did was try and correct a mistake I made . So if your done acting like an old lady get over it . ..... High five ! hand shake ? knuckle bump?

Peace
I'm truly done with this. Let's move on...

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 01:31 PM   #837
kitsbeach

Quote:
Thanks globalstar. I think I'll PM you because I have a couple questions and don't want to hog the steelie thread. I think a lot of people would be interested in a new thread with these same photos and hope you'll consider putting one up.

1967 C10 LWB (now SWB) Fleetside 6cyl Saginaw three-on-the-tree "No Frills"
kitsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 03:00 PM   #838
sboris

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
To bolt onto this :
Wondering if ya got those wheels on yet. Camper, wheels, cool truck,=awesome
71 short step-sold
71 chevy Beauville van
My build.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=633039
sboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 03:02 PM   #839
sboris

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersmith View Post
New to this forum.this is my 70 with factory steelies with 31x10.5 x15
Hey welcome, great example of a truck!
71 short step-sold
71 chevy Beauville van
My build.

Old 11-24-2014, 03:13 PM   #840
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senorx View Post
Please post pics with the new steelies, Pete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sboris View Post
Wondering if ya got those wheels on yet. Camper, wheels, cool truck,=awesome
Thanks guys - I'll def post pics once mounted but may wait until the spring.

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 03:21 PM   #841
sboris

Quote:
Been looking for 6 lug factory 15x8 for a while with no luck. I want to run my dog dish caps but can't afford new wheels from wheel vintiques. Has anyone tried using ralleys and mounting the caps to the ralley center cap by drilling a hole in dog dish. I tried one with my spare tire cap and it seems like it would work. I used jbweld to hold the nut on the back of the center cap and touched up the head of the bolt with paint from painting bowtie. It tightened up better than I thought it would because the cup in the center sat nice in recess of the ralley cap. Dog dish sits about 1/8" off wheel. I would use black rv silicone as a extra fastener to keep it from spinning on 1 bolt. I think it looks ok but would like some opinions before I go drilling my good caps that I spent hours painting.
Imo, i like it just the way it is. Hold out for the wheels your looking for. As soon as you drill those caps, those wheels will fall in your lap!
71 short step-sold
71 chevy Beauville van
My build.

Old 11-25-2014, 01:21 AM   #842
hammersmith

Thanks sboris. I think you're right. I'm going to leave the caps and wait for 2 of the proper wheels. I need new rubber and want 32x11.50r15 for the back so I'll mount them on rallies and use my full wheel hubcaps to give me stock look.
Attached Images

hammersmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 12:08 PM   #843
NONHOG

Quote:
Thanks sboris. I think you're right. I'm going to leave the caps and wait for 2 of the proper wheels. I need new rubber and want 32x11.50r15 for the back so I'll mount them on rallies and use my full wheel hubcaps to give me stock look.
Love those wheel covers, want to see pics when on your truck!
Old 11-25-2014, 01:08 PM   #844
hammersmith

Thanks nonhog. I've got 3 with blue bowtie and 1 with yellow so I'll have to get out my little paint brush and get them all the same blue. The one in the picture is a 33x12.5x15 mounted on 15x8 ralley off my old 80 4x4 just tried it too see if it fit and it did. I was going to sell them but now I'll use them instead of scratching up my other set that I painted white. I going to put 32 on back 31 on front. I will post a picture on here when I get everything together. I hope this will be the right thread for that. Full wheel cover on rally is it a steelie? Not to stir the pot or anything
hammersmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 01:20 PM   #845
NONHOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendonak View Post
If you're running stock, aftermarket, or any other kind of steel rim, toss up some pictures!
Quote:
Full wheel cover on rally is it a steelie? Not to stir the pot or anything
OP intent is clear. Post em up!
Old 11-25-2014, 01:43 PM   #846
sboris

Quote:
Full wheel cover on rally is it a steelie? Not to stir the pot or anything
Just to clarify, no it is not. Its a still a rally. Covered up of coarse..
71 short step-sold
71 chevy Beauville van
My build.

Old 12-02-2014, 05:29 PM   #847
Devins-step

Here you go!
Attached Images

Devins-step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 06:00 PM   #848
C10 Club Tennessee

And.......we're back to ralley's

www.gmtruckshow.com

Project "Andes"-Halen's First Truck

Project: Patina Burb

for he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer. Romans 13:4
5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 12:16 PM   #849
factorystock

Two piece steelie on Custom Camper 20.
Attached Images

factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 12:21 PM   #850
VWNate1

Thumbs up Re: Whose on Steelies? Post 'em up!

I am loving all the pictures here ! .

Myself , I'm an old Farm Boy / Mechanic so I'll always prefer the plain vanilla white wheels with dog dish hub caps (yellow Bow Ties are just wrong to me ) but seeing the various different steel rally , sport and whatever wheels , painted , chromed , trim rings or not , is very interesting as there's an art form to how so many of you dress your trucks .

Keep the pictures coming please ! .
'69 C/10 shortbed sidemount survivor 250 L6 W/ 350TH
VWNate1 is offline   Reply With Quote