The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > Diesel Conversions

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-28-2012, 12:03 PM   #851
mknittle

Re: Finally starting my Longhorn 4x4 conversion

Looking good Ryan. You could also make a aluminum heat deflector with air gaps on both sides for the ac/heater..

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:05 PM   #852
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

It is looking good man, I have been watching this build waiting for updates, you are on your way now though.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:38 AM   #853
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

Updates?

YOU ONLY FAIL IF YOU STOP TRYING

70 Crew Cab Build Link

70 GMC Suburban 4X4 build thread

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
jbclassix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:08 AM   #854
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbclassix View Post
Updates?
Oh, well, maybe........................................

We've got piping boys!

There is a second turbo in there.

I was highly disappointed today when I tried to use my 7.3psd intercooler and it was too narrow to fit around the radiator. So I improvised and flipped a 2nd gen dodge one and it fit. But now I will have to modify my hood latch because the hood latch hits the intercooler.

I got the water inlet almost done too.

I still have to make the oil returns, install the oil feed lines, build a support bracket for the primary turbo, weld all the piping, and build an air inlet for the primary turbo. I also have to build a down pipe and fit the exhaust. It's going to be tight! It's coming together.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:15 AM   #855
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

By the way, the top turbo is a HX40II and is 60mm. The bottom turbo is a HT60 and is 76mm. I'll modify the waste gate on the secondary turbo and set it to be fully opened at 25psi, which should net about 60-65psi boost total.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 05-04-2012, 01:38 AM   #856
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Oh, well, maybe........................................

We've got piping boys!

There is a second turbo in there.

I was highly disappointed today when I tried to use my 7.3psd intercooler and it was too narrow to fit around the radiator. So I improvised and flipped a 2nd gen dodge one and it fit. But now I will have to modify my hood latch because the hood latch hits the intercooler.

I got the water inlet almost done too.

I still have to make the oil returns, install the oil feed lines, build a support bracket for the primary turbo, weld all the piping, and build an air inlet for the primary turbo. I also have to build a down pipe and fit the exhaust. It's going to be tight! It's coming together.
Man-at-Keyboard says: "inter turbo piping no good. If one has room for LTA inter-turbo cooler, one must install such."

Hate me yet?

70 Crew Cab Build Link

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
Old 05-04-2012, 01:47 AM   #857
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Say what?
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 05-04-2012, 10:03 AM   #858
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

Quote:
Say what?
Liquid-To-Air intercooler between the turbos...

I don't know what your final use plan for the truck is, but here is a quick little story on why you should. When I had my 96 Chevy with the 6.5L on Propane, I knew a guy who had a 12v dodge with sequential turbos. He would not tow a trailer at all. He said he couldn't keep his EGT or engine coolant temp under control with a load on the engine. Well, one day while towing a trailer in my 96 I passed him on a grade. He didn't talk to me ever again.

His truck could spank mine all over the place. but I could still tow with mine.

Cat C15s run a cooler between the charge air side of the turbos and there are a lot of off-road cummins engines (QSK60 for eg.) that run coolers between the turbos. It makes night and day difference!

70 Crew Cab Build Link

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
Old 05-04-2012, 03:38 PM   #859
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

OH THAT IS FRIKING SWEET!

What kind of tubing do you use for that?
Old 05-04-2012, 10:45 PM   #860
6lcummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbclassix View Post
Liquid-To-Air intercooler between the turbos...

I don't know what your final use plan for the truck is, but here is a quick little story on why you should. When I had my 96 Chevy with the 6.5L on Propane, I knew a guy who had a 12v dodge with sequential turbos. He would not tow a trailer at all. He said he couldn't keep his EGT or engine coolant temp under control with a load on the engine. Well, one day while towing a trailer in my 96 I passed him on a grade. He didn't talk to me ever again.

His truck could spank mine all over the place. but I could still tow with mine.

Cat C15s run a cooler between the charge air side of the turbos and there are a lot of off-road cummins engines (QSK60 for eg.) that run coolers between the turbos. It makes night and day difference!
He had 2 turbos on a Cummins in parrallel?

Air to water is not helpful in the majority of cases for multiple reasons on a street truck.

For air to water to work properly there has to be a cooling agent, IE ICE etc. Running coolant from the engine is inneficient. When you consider the air temp coming from the turbo is 750* and a stock CAC/Intercooler can drop it down to sub 200*. If the truck was going to be a competition vehicle it might warrant an air to water. But unless you are pushing over 1000HP and high boost numbers it's not needed, or if you are running a big single.

We built a compound turbo 12V that ran a 57mm charger over a 78mm charger with "435HP" injectors in it that could hardly make 1800* on the pyrometer at WOT. It would build 15psi of boost at 30mph under light throttle. EGT's can vary depending on setup, but properly setup compounds don't need an ATW setup. Air to water is great for larger single charges and helps them spool.

Not to mention the pain in the ass it is to pipe in an interstage cooler. They also are not the cheapest option available. Cheap ATW is not recommended.
6lcummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:02 AM   #861
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

sequential... compound... sorry, bad habit. It was compound not parallel. My experience with light truck diesel with compound turbos was that dodge... and the 6.4L (don't laugh)

Being in my line of work I only get to work on unmodified diesel engines. I don't get to experience the performance side of the house... I just soak up everyone's knowledge and experience for when I decide what engine I want to run in my 70 Burb. So it is really cool to see and read your builds!

70 Crew Cab Build Link

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
Old 05-05-2012, 03:22 AM   #862
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

It's a good application on heavy equipment for cooling the charge air at normal levels. But for this, I'd have to have a unlimited supply of ice and a trailer with a cooler to refill it. We've built a couple of wild compound turbo trucks that have had a lot of fuel and could still tow with out high egt's.
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 05-05-2012, 03:28 AM   #863
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Not much more progress. I had to drive down to a dodge scrap yard to get a bracket for my hydros. I also picked up a used B&W goose neck hitch for it.

I got my water outlet done. Just have to pick up an adapter for the radiator side of it.

I installed my injection pump so I could install my injection lines, so I could build my cold pipe from the intercooler to the engine. The injection lines fit like crap for as much as they cost!

1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 05-05-2012, 03:35 AM   #864
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBeast View Post
OH THAT IS FRIKING SWEET!

What kind of tubing do you use for that?
Thanks. I use mandrel bent exhaust tubing. Sometimes on the turbo hot pipe I use schedule 40, but it's harder to make fit in tight areas due to the larger radius bends. Since the exhaust tubing isn't as thick as the schedule 40 pipe, I add gussets on the out side of the exhaust tubing to the flange where I can to help it keep from splitting out. Some I didn't do it too and haven't had a problem. I'm getting anxious to get this thing going!
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 05-05-2012, 10:25 AM   #865
ryanroo

Quote:
Not much more progress. I had to drive down to a dodge scrap yard to get a bracket for my hydros. I also picked up a used B&W goose neck hitch for it.

I installed my injection pump so I could install my injection lines, so I could build my cold pipe from the intercooler to the engine. The injection lines fit like crap for as much as they cost!
I need a B&W... i think i may have fond one from a guy at work that has no use for the one in his truck.

and the lines are shiny. they dont have to it well, they look nice, that is what you want right?

looking good, and i think i am a little jealous. mine is still sitting untouched as i put my ford back together...

Ryan

ryanroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:36 AM   #866
1985-GMC
Chevy Enthusiast

Awesome!
1989 Burb (D60, 14BFF, 12V, NV4500, NP205, 37" tires in progress)
1985-GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:14 PM   #867
mcbassin
Still Learning

Very nice progress Ryan. Keep it up buddy.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:09 AM   #868
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanroo View Post
I need a B&W... i think i may have fond one from a guy at work that has no use for the one in his truck.

and the lines are shiny. they dont have to it well, they look nice, that is what you want right?

looking good, and i think i am a little jealous. mine is still sitting untouched as i put my ford back together...

Ryan
If they fit on the cylinder head as nice as they shine, it would be great. But they don't. You have to fight them to get them on. They are a PITA!

I know how you feel. This truck has been pushed out of the shop so many times I lost track. Hopefully soon it can be driven in and out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985-GMC View Post
Awesome!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Very nice progress Ryan. Keep it up buddy.
Thanks. It's slow progress.
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 05-06-2012, 02:22 AM   #869
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Today I used my head and realized I had no idea where I was going to put an air conditioning compressor. So I decided I better figure it out. I had plans to put one on top of the cylinder head, but the conversion lines and upper radiator hose make it real tough. So I decided to try and put it below the lower hose and use dodge parts. Well, I had to trim the frame flanges more than I wanted to, but it's in and will work. It will be a PITA to replace once the truck is together. I'm contemplating making a bracket to put on the out side of the frame to help strengthen the area since I removed a good portion of the upper flange. My friend Adam started on the tcase cross member today and he enlarged 2 of the bolt holes so the tcase could be put on the back of the transmission.

1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 05-06-2012, 11:33 AM   #870
mknittle

Quote:
Today I used my head and realized I had no idea where I was going to put an air conditioning compressor. So I decided I better figure it out. I had plans to put one on top of the cylinder head, but the conversion lines and upper radiator hose make it real tough. So I decided to try and put it below the lower hose and use dodge parts. Well, I had to trim the frame flanges more than I wanted to, but it's in and will work. It will be a PITA to replace once the truck is together. I'm contemplating making a bracket to put on the out side of the frame to help strengthen the area since I removed a good portion of the upper flange. My friend Adam started on the tcase cross member today and he enlarged 2 of the bolt holes so the tcase could be put on the back of the transmission.

Reminds me of an old Calvin & hobbs comic strip. In the first frame Calvin & hobbs are just walking, in the second frame Hobbs asks "Your idea never got off the ground? third frame frame just walking, Last frame Calvin says it sort of blew up in the hanger.

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:38 PM   #871
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
Originally Posted by mknittle View Post

Reminds me of an old Calvin & hobbs comic strip. In the first frame Calvin & hobbs are just walking, in the second frame Hobbs asks "Your idea never got off the ground? third frame frame just walking, Last frame Calvin says it sort of blew up in the hanger.
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 05-06-2012, 01:02 PM   #872
y5mgisi
Second Chance Program

Man, P-pumps just look so cool...
y5mgisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:13 PM   #873
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Yes they do.
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 05-06-2012, 01:47 PM   #874
wutnxt

Location: vancouver b.c....is the biggest place most people would know but I am actually out in the valley 45 mins away

Dude you got some game
1966 SBFS street HULK http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post5886625

Poject Low and go gets a 6.2 ltr LSA supercharged with 6 speed automatic

Aluinum Radiator Dealer pm for details
wutnxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:52 PM   #875
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

I had to look real close to see it! Sure is tucked in there!

70 Crew Cab Build Link

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205