The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-28-2013, 10:46 PM   #876
knomadd

Re: 1977 Chevy C10 known as SharkBite

Interesting. At least you've got it figured out. I'd be all about replacing that balancer the next time you have to take it off. Assuming that scratch isn't in the correct spot. If the balancer is marked correctly, then I'd look at replacing the timing tab or timing cover if the tab is permanently attached.

C/10 Club Texas member
1971 Chevy C10 "Brutus" SWB Fleetside 2016 6.0L (L96) 6L90E (driver/project)
1965 Pontiac GTO "Royal Goat" 400/TH400 w/AC (my baby)
knomadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:50 PM   #877
77ChevySharkBite

Yeah it was advanced soooo much that after moving it a tooth and advancing it more is when we found it but yeah that's going to be some probably replaced in the future but the mark on the balancer is clearly visible.

77 C10 Silverado Sharkbite LWB Build
67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
06 Dodge Magnum 2.7v6 aka swag wag!
2010 Honda Accord 2.4I4 DD aka Liquid Metal
77ChevySharkBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:24 PM   #878
77ChevySharkBite

Okay so need help once again under an attempt at hard acceleration it kind of bogs and wants to die then seems to do a backfire through the carb any suggestion?

67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
Old 10-29-2013, 08:00 PM   #879
Sodell

Your timing is still probably off.

87 Chevy 2WD SWB, 88 4x4 LWB
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=610652
Sodell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:06 PM   #880
77ChevySharkBite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodell View Post
Your timing is still probably off.

Well at least I'll be good at it when I'm done

What I'm planning to do is something I failed to do is find tdc and go from there so wish me luck!

67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
Old 10-30-2013, 10:56 AM   #881
77ChevySharkBite

I never told y'all the big surprise! Well everyone since y'all practically are my family y'all should know too........I'm going to be getting married that's the big surprise!

Which comes up to my next point due to a wedding needing to be paid for money will be a HUGE factor now, so much may not get done but I'll try to do small little projects to keep me busy and keep updates coming.

Also I know y'all might call me crazy now, but with all this timing being off and everything and the source of the problem being unknown I'm going to tear the motor out and rebuild it for the most part from the ground up so that I know it's done correctly and I won't have to face these issues later on, so hopefully tonight I can get 67 c10 guy over to help me and the weather clear up and we'll pull the motor tonight and maybe start a little bit of work on it.

67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
Old 10-30-2013, 11:31 AM   #882
knomadd

Backfiring through the carb means your timing is too advanced.

C/10 Club Texas member
Old 10-30-2013, 11:33 AM   #883
77ChevySharkBite

But I'm a 0 degrees advance timing so how can I be too advanced?

67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
Old 10-30-2013, 12:11 PM   #884
knomadd

Congrats on the engagement!

C/10 Club Texas member
Old 10-30-2013, 12:19 PM   #885
knomadd

LOL, I guess I need to update the page before I post. I seem to be behind with my replies.

Your 0 degrees probably isn't accurate. There are too many unknown variables to determine why it's not running at the proper timing that I just can't answer. I'm taking a guess with everything that follow this, so take it for what it's worth... A guess.

I'm betting the PO scratched a new line in the balancer because he noticed the timing was off. It could be the balancer isn't correctly marked, or it could be that your timing tab is not correct, or mounted incorrectly.

Try doing some more research on the topic to see if you can find anything out. Like run your engine numbers to see what year the block is. If it's not in the early to mid 70's the timing COULD BE different. I don't know for sure, so it could be the same. Look at your timing tab and see if it's fixed to the timing cover, or just bolted on. If it's fixed to the cover, the cover might be incorrect (again I don't know). Like I said, too many variables to know for sure what's happening.

I do know that, typically, when a carb backfires (as opposed to out the tailpipe) the timing is typically too advanced. How old is your dizzy?

C/10 Club Texas member
Old 10-30-2013, 12:32 PM   #886
77ChevySharkBite

Quote:
Originally Posted by knomadd View Post
LOL, I guess I need to update the page before I post. I seem to be behind with my replies.

Your 0 degrees probably isn't accurate. There are too many unknown variables to determine why it's not running at the proper timing that I just can't answer. I'm taking a guess with everything that follow this, so take it for what it's worth... A guess.

I'm betting the PO scratched a new line in the balancer because he noticed the timing was off. It could be the balancer isn't correctly marked, or it could be that your timing tab is not correct, or mounted incorrectly.

Try doing some more research on the topic to see if you can find anything out. Like run your engine numbers to see what year the block is. If it's not in the early to mid 70's the timing COULD BE different. I don't know for sure, so it could be the same. Look at your timing tab and see if it's fixed to the timing cover, or just bolted on. If it's fixed to the cover, the cover might be incorrect (again I don't know). Like I said, too many variables to know for sure what's happening.

I do know that, typically, when a carb backfires (as opposed to out the tailpipe) the timing is typically too advanced. How old is your dizzy?
It's okay man no problem.

Very true and even it doesn't help to know what kind of rebuild they did on the truck either. Yeah I'll need to do that, very true on knowing the year model numbers would be greatly helpful.

Yeah well I know when we advanced it to 8 degrees initially after finding the mark on the balancer we revved it and it clearly backfired cause it scared me a little once we put it to 0 it seemed to have been running fine, but like I said when I went to go give it good throttle it would kind of bog down so I would let my foot off the gas then I'd hear what sounded like a backfire through the carb and tried it a couple more times but still did the same thing every time.

The dizzy on it, has at least been there a year I would imagine it hasn't been recently replaced just due to the fact you can see it's in good shape but been there for a while.

67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
Old 10-30-2013, 12:57 PM   #887
knomadd

A little elaboration on the theory behind backfiring and how timing affects it's location:

When an engine backfires through a carb, it means the combustion cycle has begun before the intake valve is closed, which forces the explosion back through the intake valve, the manifold and the carb. This happens because your timing is telling the spark plug when to fire. When you advance the timing, the spark happens before the piston reaches TDC. The more advanced the timing, the sooner before TDC the spark happens.

When the engine backfires through the exhaust pipe, it means the combustion cycle is happening while the exhaust valve opens. This forces the explosion out the exhaust valve and through the tail pipe. This happens when the timing is too retarded, or after TDC.

C/10 Club Texas member
Old 10-30-2013, 01:21 PM   #888
77ChevySharkBite

Quote:
A little elaboration on the theory behind backfiring and how timing affects it's location:

When an engine backfires through a carb, it means the combustion cycle has begun before the intake valve is closed, which forces the explosion back through the intake valve, the manifold and the carb. This happens because your timing is telling the spark plug when to fire. When you advance the timing, the spark happens before the piston reaches TDC. The more advanced the timing, the sooner before TDC the spark happens.

When the engine backfires through the exhaust pipe, it means the combustion cycle is happening while the exhaust valve opens. This forces the explosion out the exhaust valve and through the tail pipe. This happens when the timing is too retarded, or after TDC.
Ahh thanks Duane!

I guess what I'll attempt to do weather permitting is try to find TDC tonight because failed to do it in the first place then adjust the timing accordingly sounds good to start with wouldn't you think?

67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
Old 10-31-2013, 08:56 PM   #889
chevybuilder18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77ChevySharkBite View Post
Well at least I'll be good at it when I'm done

What I'm planning to do is something I failed to do is find tdc and go from there so wish me luck!
number one cylinder on the front driver side... make sure its up

Quote:
I never told y'all the big surprise! Well everyone since y'all practically are my family y'all should know too........I'm going to be getting married that's the big surprise!

Which comes up to my next point due to a wedding needing to be paid for money will be a HUGE factor now, so much may not get done but I'll try to do small little projects to keep me busy and keep updates coming.

Also I know y'all might call me crazy now, but with all this timing being off and everything and the source of the problem being unknown I'm going to tear the motor out and rebuild it for the most part from the ground up so that I know it's done correctly and I won't have to face these issues later on, so hopefully tonight I can get 67 c10 guy over to help me and the weather clear up and we'll pull the motor tonight and maybe start a little bit of work on it.
Quote:
Backfiring through the carb means your timing is too advanced.
congrats on the marriage my family! if only i could crash it
Quote:
But I'm a 0 degrees advance timing so how can I be too advanced?
Quote:
It's okay man no problem.

Very true and even it doesn't help to know what kind of rebuild they did on the truck either. Yeah I'll need to do that, very true on knowing the year model numbers would be greatly helpful.

Yeah well I know when we advanced it to 8 degrees initially after finding the mark on the balancer we revved it and it clearly backfired cause it scared me a little once we put it to 0 it seemed to have been running fine, but like I said when I went to go give it good throttle it would kind of bog down so I would let my foot off the gas then I'd hear what sounded like a backfire through the carb and tried it a couple more times but still did the same thing every time.

The dizzy on it, has at least been there a year I would imagine it hasn't been recently replaced just due to the fact you can see it's in good shape but been there for a while.
not enoughn retarding... a normal 350 takes up to 45 degrees of retarding.. so losen the dizzy and make sure its running up to parr
chevybuilder18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:01 PM   #890
77ChevySharkBite

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevybuilder18 View Post
number one cylinder on the front driver side... make sure its up

congrats on the marriage my family! if only i could crash it

not enoughn retarding... a normal 350 takes up to 45 degrees of retarding.. so losen the dizzy and make sure its running up to parr
Yeah that's what I'm going to look into tomorrow.

As I might not mind it that much, the future wifey might not be so up to par with that idea

my plan is that tomorrow were going to find tdc and just start to slowly put it back together and get it running and working right. So hopefully I'll have good news tomorrow.

67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
Old 11-03-2013, 12:23 PM   #891
77ChevySharkBite

Well as you all know my truck has been in it's primer state for about 6 months minimum and well I knew I always need to get some paint on it for temporary just in case it rained we'll it's rained a lot this past week and supposed to rain some more. So I felt it was in need of a color make over, now I know y'all know it's going to be blue in the end result however they didn't have my blue at lowe's soooo I went red as it is one of my favorite colors. Let me know what you guys think I know there's some "splotches" and paint runs but I'm going to go to the store here shortly to pick up some more paint to touch it up and get it looking better. I think it's a big improvement from having to look at primer all the time, would you agree?

67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
Old 11-03-2013, 12:45 PM   #892
67 c10 guy

You gonna post a red truck picture

67 lwb build sold
67 c10 guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:51 PM   #893
77ChevySharkBite

My bad might help if I put in links huh?

67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
Old 11-03-2013, 06:22 PM   #894
knomadd

Looks good for rattle can. Hope you've got some 000 steel wool. Looks like you'll need a bunch of it to clean off your windows. It'll clean up chrome too, just don't use it on painted or plastic parts.

C/10 Club Texas member
Old 11-03-2013, 06:54 PM   #895
77ChevySharkBite

Quote:
Looks good for rattle can. Hope you've got some 000 steel wool. Looks like you'll need a bunch of it to clean off your windows. It'll clean up chrome too, just don't use it on painted or plastic parts.
Thanks for the heads up and compliments Duane I'm going to have to remember that!

I'm thinking at a later date since it will be red for a long time putting some black stripes where the original stripes were on the hood from when I bought it

67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
Old 11-03-2013, 08:29 PM   #896
knomadd

sounds like a good idea.

C/10 Club Texas member
Old 11-03-2013, 10:14 PM   #897
77ChevySharkBite

Well....... I wish I had better news but I don't looks like the only good news is that II painted the truck which I'm starting to like and have it grow on me so we'll see what happens with that.

On that note I have found the real problem with the timing checked everything and made sure the truck was on TDC and well it was as perfect as can be, so it has to be in the timing chain, so $100 later I have ordered a new timing chain and gear set and balancer on the way from summit, so looks like I know what I'll be doing this weekend.

Another big thanks to my friend 67 c10 guy for coming over and helping me out once again he's really a life saver so thanks 67 c10 guy appreciate it!

67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
Old 11-04-2013, 01:41 PM   #898
Claytona08

I say paint the rest of the truck red and drive it around awhile!

http://youtu.be/JYoQJYTXKqI

1984 Chevrolet Scottsdale C10 "Project Platinum C10"
1971 Chevrolet Chevelle "Project Car"
Claytona08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:51 PM   #899
77ChevySharkBite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytona08 View Post
I say paint the rest of the truck red and drive it around awhile!
Yeah, well right now the whole truck is red being I don't have a bed

Just going to do a couple more touch ups and then I'll be done!

As this red continually grows on my my idea IF I paint it red with be take the original paint job style just do red, & white, with black stripes but we'll see what happens but for right now I'm definitely going to enjoy this red!

67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
Old 11-04-2013, 09:49 PM   #900
Greenlee

Quote:
Yeah, well right now the whole truck is red being I don't have a bed

Just going to do a couple more touch ups and then I'll be done!

As this red continually grows on my my idea IF I paint it red with be take the original paint job style just do red, & white, with black stripes but we'll see what happens but for right now I'm definitely going to enjoy this red!
Do you need a bed? I have a perfect bed. I'm almost afraid to ask after trying to sell you a motor.
Greenlee is offline   Reply With Quote