The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-15-2013, 12:42 AM   #901
SCHRUMGMC

Re: Junkyard Jimmy Super Low Buck Build Thread

Great progress man
Old 01-15-2013, 07:54 PM   #902
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHRUMGMC View Post
Great progress man
Thanks! The only way to get these projects done is to just keep doing something on it.

Finished with my work a little early today so I went out and sanded some more. After spraying the primer the other day I thought the hood kinda looked like crap. But after looking again today, to decide whether or not I needed to fill some spots before I moved forward, I decided it wasn't as bad as I thought. So I got the roll of 180 grit and moved on. Most of the spots I was concerned with sanded out. I ended up just using a tiny bit of filler in a few spots. I just finished sanding those out and it's ready for the next coat of primer and the next grit. It's actually looking real good.

I also sanded the cowl with the 180. I really just sanded the ends with a flexible block, then did along the front and rear by hand, then just used a scuff pad on the vent bars. Then used it on the rest of it too. I could probably paint it as it is, but I'll probably spray a coat of primer and smooth it out the same as the rest of the truck.

I scuffed the drivers fender with a short block just to find the obvious highs and lows. Smacked the highs down a bit, then I mixed up some filler and got the first layer of that on. (no pic) I'll sand it down another time. 4 hours of sanding is enough.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:55 PM   #903
SCHRUMGMC

Never get discouraged though !!!

Your doing great
Old 01-18-2013, 06:54 PM   #904
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Took a few minutes and set the cowl and hood on the jimmy. Nothing is bolted down or really adjusted. I need to shift the radiator support to the left a smidge to square it up so the hood will settle in properly, but the initial fit looks pretty good. I was kinda worried more about the fit of the hood crown side to side to the cowl, but it was good.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:18 PM   #905
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Your hood project turned out awesome! I know what you mean about putting it on and sanding it back off. It drives me nuts! But the end result is always worth it. Plus you save your self big bucks. Keep at it, it is looking great!
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:54 PM   #906
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Your hood project turned out awesome! I know what you mean about putting it on and sanding it back off. It drives me nuts! But the end result is always worth it. Plus you save your self big bucks. Keep at it, it is looking great!
Thanks! Even my wife was impressed when she saw it and she is typically indifferent to what I do in the garage. It actually looks better than in the pics.

As for sanding it back off, yeah, doing some more of that. Sanded the fender this morning, then sprayed a few more coats of primer on that and the door. The door will be next. Another body work chore I'm not fond of is taping. All the stuff that I already painted needs protection from the new coats of primer. PITA.

Any way. Pic for the day. Might get back out there tomorrow for more of the same.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:07 PM   #907
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

More progress. Any guesses as to what I did?

Got the door and fender sanded again. I missed a couple very small spots I need to fill, but other than that they are both ready for primer and the final blocking.

I was sick of sanding after that. My grill was sitting on the saw horses. I am getting ahead of my work flow here a bit. Won't be needing a grill for a while yet, but I've had a plan for a long time to try out some black chrome. After reading the reviews about the kit that is available I decided to go a different route based on some things I've read and learned from other members projects and elsewhere online.

I took off one of the headlight bezels and cleaned it up with steel wool and some wax/grease remover (not at the same time). I had a little clear coat in a small can to use up, so I mixed that up like normal, then added a few drops of black tint. At first I thought oh crap, it turned completely black from just a few drops. Then I pulled out the mixer I was using which is shiny stainless steel and I could still see through the paint and see the steel. I have extra bezels around, so I decided to go for it and find out what happens.

Not bad. In fact its about perfect. Just what I was going for. The pic doesn't really show it well because the flash made the black go away on the inner part, but you can see the grey around the edge, which is what the whole thing actually looks like. Better pics below. Note the nasty looking grill I'm starting with.

While that was drying I started cleaning up the rest of the grill parts. Then the real test came.

I needed to show the wife.

She liked it, so time to move onward and keep cleaning parts.

This pic is showing the bezel by the unpainted fender eyebrows.

The rest of it...

Last edited by hgs_notes; 01-20-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:12 PM   #908
hilljob26

thats pretty cool

HILLJOB GRAPHIX--for all your graphic needs
My build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=542497
LS ENGINE SWAP INFORMATION THREAD
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=377348
4l60 to an NP205
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...43#post3697343
hilljob26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:58 PM   #909
Low Elco

That's kinda neat, sorta subdued lookin! Keep it up, whole thing looks great!
Posted via Mobile Device
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:37 PM   #910
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Got tired of work today, so I spent the morning out in the garage instead.

Didn't get a lot done. Had to move a bunch of crap around to work on the bedside. Then I got distracted and started cleaning up an old aluminum cooler I got a while back. I went over the bedside with a long block to find the highs/lows and it was already pretty good. Just needed some filler in a few spots and mainly around the tail light, which had been smacked in pretty bad. I had repaired/straightened the area like a year ago I think.

So I'll let that set up and sand it later. I got the featherfill primer the other day and might try that out on the bedside. I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Hood, cowl, tailgate, driver side fender and door are ready for final blocking/sanding. Get this panel done, turn it around it should not take too long to finish up the other side. Might get it in the paint booth in February.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:00 PM   #911
87Jimmy4JP

That hood came out great from what I can see!...very nice, but subtle effect...If you didnt know any better, or know the hoods, it would look "custom somehow".....almost factory....

I like the effect you got with your "black chrome" look on the trim pieces.

nicely done

JP
87Jimmy4JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:29 PM   #912
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Awesome work! I tried the black chrome Dupli-Color kit on the bumpers for my 40 ford. It sucked and I wasn't impressed at all. I do like your approach though, it looks really nice! If my bumpers were that nice on my 40, I'd do it to them.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 01-24-2013, 09:51 PM   #913
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Jimmy4JP View Post
That hood came out great from what I can see!...very nice, but subtle effect...If you didnt know any better, or know the hoods, it would look "custom somehow".....almost factory....

I like the effect you got with your "black chrome" look on the trim pieces.

nicely done

JP
Thanks JP. I don't have the skills for radical customization yet, so I'll stick with subtle. I did want it to look factory. And once the paint is on I think it will make the hood look real slick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Awesome work! I tried the black chrome Dupli-Color kit on the bumpers for my 40 ford. It sucked and I wasn't impressed at all. I do like your approach though, it looks really nice! If my bumpers were that nice on my 40, I'd do it to them.
Part of the reason I tried the black chrome look was to distract people from the fact that the grill is kinda rough (the main reason though was that I just thought it looked cool and would work great with my bright paint). It has scratches, dents, cracks, rust, peeled chrome, etc. This is just dark enough to blend in some of the flaws. So if your bumpers don't have a great finish, maybe this is a cheap solution to make them more presentable.

One mistake I made was that the clear recommended one part reducer, and I think it was just enough to cause a few runs. It's noticeable in a couple spots but I can live with it.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:31 AM   #914
1956cameo

The Jimmy is coming along nicely. It sounds like you are in the doldrums of bodywork like me.

'72 blazer 2wd build

67-72 Factory Big Block Registry
1956cameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:33 PM   #915
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1956cameo View Post
It sounds like you are in the doldrums of bodywork like me.
Sounds, looks, tastes, smells and feels like the doldrums. Absofreakinlutely. Fab work, hammering, cutting, welding etc. is all good. Finding motivation to go back out there and sand some more is tough.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:08 PM   #916
1956cameo

The good news is once you get fresh paint on it your interest and energy levels will through the roof!

'72 blazer 2wd build

67-72 Factory Big Block Registry
1956cameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:12 AM   #917
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Didn't do much this past weekend. Was feeling down, had a cold, no motivation. Yesterday I got off my ass though and at least made an effort. Before I could do much more on the rear end I need to clear some things out of the way. So tailgate is off, bumper is off, tailgate hinge trunions and latches off, brackets to hold the side panels in the bed (CST) off, tailgate seal parts off. Vacuumed it out and now I just need to wire wheel some paint and surface rust off it. Then I can do more taping and primering and move forward again.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:20 AM   #918
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

On another note, while laying around like a slug, the wife and I caught the end of an Overhaulin episode for a gold and black VW beetle. I liked the 2 tone with the black and the gold is very similar to what I'm spraying, so I ask the wife what she thinks and she really liked it. It was a gloss black and I'm thinking flat or satin, but the color combo would look great. I was thinking I could do either all black across the upper section (mustang mach 1 style) or maybe even a pair of racing stripes (camaro style).
Old 01-29-2013, 11:27 AM   #919
fxdxharley
Just a nother gear head

thats a cool car. unfortunitly i cant watch overhualing cuz i dont get that channel threw direct tv. i like the black on top idea for your jimmy. it will look nice.
71 Jimmy 4x4- future crawler/ woods rig
71 blazer (C4 2wd conv project) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=523589
fxdxharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:03 PM   #920
Dale99

I would not do racing stripes. Thats for something sporty.

Maybe the top half, and a slight "pinstripe" along the edge?

Or do the traditional two tone, but do it flat black rather then shiny?
Dale99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:15 AM   #921
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale99 View Post
I would not do racing stripes. Thats for something sporty.
Are you saying my hotrodded old school jimmy with aluminum slots aint sporty? Haven't you seen my super slick low profile customized hood? This thing is ooozing sporty. I'm almost afraid the racing stripes would just blow off from the wind blasting over the hood.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:10 AM   #922
ERASER5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
Are you saying my hotrodded old school jimmy with aluminum slots aint sporty? Haven't you seen my super slick low profile customized hood? This thing is ooozing sporty. I'm almost afraid the racing stripes would just blow off from the wind blasting over the hood.
Just add a wing and a fart can exhaust and you won't be able to keep the paint on! So just go ahead and stop at the primer stage and call it done. At least you could be driving it sooner.
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:28 PM   #923
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERASER5 View Post
Just add a wing and a fart can exhaust and you won't be able to keep the paint on! So just go ahead and stop at the primer stage and call it done. At least you could be driving it sooner.
Thats for my later versions. I'm going to progress from the 70's look to current and go through all the fads in between. The 80s version will have a huge pink stripe and purple base, body color grill and bumpers, with a zebra skin interior. I'll have to find a half-ass hot rodded 305 to drop in it though from a camaro.

Wonder what the 90s version will look like?
Old 01-30-2013, 05:32 PM   #924
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I was thinking more like Dales top half of the hood with a stripe, but instead it would just be on the top flat and not down over the sides and front at all. I'm sure there are pics out there that have it but I'm too lazy right now to look for them.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:10 PM   #925
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

I think the flat black on the hood and a stripe like the old Mach 1's would be cool. I agree, I wouldn't do muscle car racing stripes unless that's just your thing. To me, if they're on a truck, that better be a super fast truck.
1969 Chevy milk truck